Diablo® III

Why is increased monster density ONLY inferno?

What About An Achievement For Logging In On Diablo 3's Birth Day?!?! Make It A Little More Special For Players Who Is Playing Today!?
Reply Quote

If you start a new character, you can put it on MP10 for that character. On Normal. Do you really think the mobs are level 63 like that?

You don't have to unlock Inferno to use MP.
My bad, you are indeed correct (I checked the Monster Power blog that seems to be absent from the Game Guide as well as checking it out in the game). I have no idea why I thought it was limited to Inferno :/

hehe No worries. Probably something that was in one of the blogs talking about MP that gave that impression. :)

05/15/2013 01:40 AMPosted by DethAxe
because with buffed density and running with a buddy at NM MP10 you could level in 30 minutes?

I'm not seeing the downside. ;p

05/15/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Kraven97
What About An Achievement For Logging In On Diablo 3's Birth Day?!?! Make It A Little More Special For Players Who Is Playing Today!?

Why Did You Capitalize Every Word As Though It Were The Title Of A Thread? English teachers everywhere are crying out in agony at that...
Reply Quote
05/15/2013 08:54 AMPosted by Professional
Short Answer: They would have to address the experience adjustment in much greater detail in order make you reach 60 right around the time of beating Hell... AKA... many more man hours to figure that out. All for the part of the game that takes up 1/10000000th of everyone's interest.

Maybe they would have adjust XP rates, but that'd be OK.

If its more fun to level just because your not having as much down time out of combat, then more people may spend time on HC. More people who get burned out trying to justify spending billions on your next SC upgrade may turn to HC (if there was more density while leveling) rather than just not log in at all. Not because of increased XP, but because of more fun. The sting of death might bite a little less if you look at leveling as fun and not boring.
Reply Quote
Leveling is fast now anyway. My first run through at release I was only level 55 when I unlocked inferno. Now when I level a new character I'm usually at level 1 or 2 paragon by the time I unlock inferno and paragon 4 by the time I finish inferno. I don't see a problem with leveling as it is now.
Reply Quote
these blue posts actually hurt my head LOL
Reply Quote
The reason we didn’t apply monster density changes to Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties is because we felt this would be detrimental to the new player experience. Players who are just entering Sanctuary for the very first time have different needs and less skills and tools at their disposal, and they require the opportunity to get their feet wet before being assaulted with the additional challenges that higher monster density offers. At the same time, we also agree that this isn’t ideal for players who have already gone through the game and are looking to start up new characters and are ready to take on additional challenges and faster pacing from the get-go.

Honestly this is the greatest downfall of Diablo 3, and when I say that I'm talking about more issues than just monster density.

All you had to do was make it to where people couldn't screw up their builds permanently and make every spell useful and you would have accomplished the goal you intended for.

Instead, you've designed the whole game around the people that were only going to play for a week or a month anyway instead of the people that would be populating the game for the years to come.

Different difficulties in Diablo 2 increase mob density and dungeon complexity. Why can't we have it that way in D3? Makes no sense.
Reply Quote
Can you please answer this then. Why is it so hard to put the choices in without having to wait 6 months for you to put it in another patch. Going to put Monster density in the game? Make it a choice so people that want to level like that can and people that don't, don't have to. Its real tiring that some of us still have to put up with the Play how WE want you to, and until then we have to wait 6 months for each patch. You guys make more then what it took to put a damn robot on mars, yet someone like the OP has to do your thinking for you. Consider from now on in future patches, more choices means better.
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
The OP's title isn't even as precise as it could be, as it isn't merely Inferno that gets the increased monster density: It is only MP1+ Inferno that gets it.

Meaning even MP0 Inferno doesn't get the increased density. And since that is where I prefer to play, I don't even get to use the major feature of patch 1.08 unless I step it up to a level that I am not entirely comfortable playing. I could play MP1, and I have a little to see that, yes, the new densities do look like a welcome change to the other acts, but I just don't prefer to play on MP1 or higher.

Now, I have solo cleared Inferno, albeit MP0, but a clear is a clear. And have each class at 60, one at a whopping Paragon Level 6, the other four at PL 1. While I am fully aware that doesn't make me some kind of super hardcore pro, I do believe I can safely state that I am far from a newbie to the game. So I don't see why I need to be handheld in MP0 Inferno with respect to the new mob densities.

So yes, please make a MP0+ setting or something if need be, but we shouldn't have to go to MP1 or higher to get what was supposed to be the big shiny feature of 1.08.
Edited by Pyth#1617 on 5/15/2013 3:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Leveling up a new character is one of the most boring parts of this game. So much time spent running through dead zones. Why did they only apply this change to Inferno? I was planning on leveling up some of my other champs after 1.08, but now I don't know.
Great question!

The reason we didn’t apply monster density changes to Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties is because we felt this would be detrimental to the new player experience. Players who are just entering Sanctuary for the very first time have different needs and less skills and tools at their disposal, and they require the opportunity to get their feet wet before being assaulted with the additional challenges that higher monster density offers. At the same time, we also agree that this isn’t ideal for players who have already gone through the game and are looking to start up new characters and are ready to take on additional challenges and faster pacing from the get-go.

Along these lines, we’ve considered ideas such as enabling the higher density for MP1 and higher, or simply making higher density a checkbox option. We’re currently working on some other concrete ideas, but we don’t have anything to share just yet, but this is definitely an aspect of Diablo III that we’d like to improve in the long-term.

The problem with what you're saying is that Normal, Nightmare and Hell difficulties are a linear progression. Where in D2 you had to deal with some nasty additional challenges like elemental immunities from one difficulty to the next, Normal through Hell is really 12 acts of the same difficulty as you progress to the end game.

While the time to correct that has passed, I see no reason why you couldn't just add a density option for MP1 or beyond in the other difficulties as well. D2 had the ability to adjust single player difficulty from the beginning, as this game kind of does with monster power, so why not monster density? I see the density changes as making the non-Act 3 acts comparable to Act 3, not necessarily a difficulty spike but more of a counterbalance to some poor design choices that led to one act being far better than the rest.
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Along these lines, we’ve considered ideas such as enabling the higher density for MP1 and higher, or simply making higher density a checkbox option. We’re currently working on some other concrete ideas, but we don’t have anything to share just yet, but this is definitely an aspect of Diablo III that we’d like to improve in the long-term.

tldr topic;

This is a great idea. Players who want the bigger challenge for new characters shoudl get increased densities on MP+. Not to mention, with an infernal ring on a new character, trashing the game is REALLY easy.
Reply Quote
This is a great idea. Players who want the bigger challenge for new characters shoudl get increased densities on MP+. Not to mention, with an infernal ring on a new character, trashing the game is REALLY easy.

It shouldn't have to be an option though.

The only thing this game does to increase difficulty is adding an affix on rares and champions. Diablo 2 did so much more from difficulty to difficulty.

Blizzard wants this game to be easy to get into, fine, that is what normal is for.
Reply Quote
I always play MP10 up through Hell mode to ensure it's at least a fair challenge even with shared items. My witch doctor currently has a -17 level requirement dagger and does 6.5k damage in early Nightmare but I have still died. :)
Reply Quote

Why are nightmare and hell treated as hand-holding experiences? Normal is definitely understandable, but why nightmare and especially hell?

This. Has the gaming demographic already become incompetent? I remember when games were a challenge-or at least required more thought that normal nightmare and hell.

Dont cater to new players-because most of the people still playing this are former diablo veterans.
Reply Quote
If I'm either:

A) Never played Diablo before and D3 is my first game
B) A fan of the series having played both D1 and D2

When I enter the game (no matter which group i'm from), the first thing I'll notice is the lack of monsters to slay and a ton of needless running around. Is my interest going to be kept till inferno because of this? Maybe, maybe not.

The monster density problem has been mentioned and mulled over mere days after release. This would tell me, the monster density is a problem from Normal to Hell as well, and thus should be changed.

If the dev team's general consensus, feels that players experience will be ruined because of too many monsters making the game harder through these levels; then that should be a giant red flag as to how they view the D3 experience as a whole...

Game can't be made too complex or hard, so this is why we have a linear story, no skill trees, no stat points, and the game completely reliant on gear. Can't make things too difficult for players by giving them options.. it may be detrimental to their experience...

It seems to me, they should have done a little more research on what the diablo target market actually was..

It's all actually pretty perfect in sense of leveling... To many aspects to go over, but one thing you've gotta consider is the game was made with Hardcore in mind. So at the start of the game you have like 1 skill... And slowly build up. If you hit a pack of 30-40 monsters... You would simply die. You would get surrounded, overwhelmed, with no way out, and die.
Edited by Veracruz#1867 on 5/16/2013 8:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You already hit level 60 waaaaaaaaay before you get to Inferno if you just progress normally, why would they feel the need to buff leveling before Inferno?
Reply Quote
05/16/2013 08:07 AMPosted by Veracruz
It's all actually pretty perfect in sense of leveling... To many aspects to go over, but one thing you've gotta consider is the game was made with Hardcore in mind. So at the start of the game you have like 1 skill... And slowly build up. If you hit a pack of 30-40 monsters... You would simply die. You would get surrounded, overwhelmed, with no way out, and die.

Sure, if you're careless.

With that logic, Monster Power should not be available below Inferno too. And that would suck.

Wanna know what people in HC are doing now? They're in public games with MP10 doing only Leoric Manor runs. Just to get XP. It's dangerous, of course, but also very rewarding.

HC players should be given the choice, anyway. Want more density, more risk and more reward? Take it! Why not? It's more risky, sure, but if you want to avoid risks, then HC is not for you.

You already hit level 60 waaaaaaaaay before you get to Inferno if you just progress normally, why would they feel the need to buff leveling before Inferno?

It would make a ton of difference to HC players.
It would make a ton of difference to SC players that want to try a different class.

[EDIT~]

In D2, BOTH monster power and monster density could be chosen since the beginning. /players X increased both power and density and, even in HC, there was no reason no to play Normal in at least /players 5
Edited by Alispery#1204 on 5/16/2013 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey new to forums so dont know where to post this but can you guys do everyone a huge favor n make all dyes work on set n unq items please I hate having blue colored boots
Reply Quote
Making it so that upping the MP would noticeably increase the density is a great idea.
Reply Quote
When I first played my monk it took hundreds of hours just to get through Inferno with no shared items or even AH sales until I got into Inferno (used AH to sell at least by then) and I was ok with that. I had to level in specific areas before advancing with MP10 always on and spend all my money on crafting at every level up.

Now it's a matter of how much farming we did and each character I play beyond the monk has a 2/3rds cut in playtime to accomplish the same goal. It's still great fun but gets easier and easier as I go. And that's WITHOUT the AH!

One good thing I've learned though is pushing through levels quickly instead of exploring the whole thing. I level faster still and keep the challenge up a bit. But I miss the original way of actually enjoying each area I'm in and fully meeting my potential with each new Act. If I did that now it would be so easy I'd fall asleep...

EDIT: To be fair my Witch Doctor died BEFORE I equipped the socketed Inferno dagger that gave me 6.5k DPS. To the Butcher.
Edited by D2ModPlayer#1333 on 5/16/2013 6:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am a little stunned that Blizz did not enable Monster Density for MP > 0 across all difficulties.

It just seems like the most common sense thing to do, in fact it takes more effort to specify only Inferno than to enable it across the board.

Please Blizz just hotfix this in the next patch. New users (hi guys) can use MP0 and experience "vanilla" Diablo III. Everyone else who is trying to power-level their new chars can enjoy high density from the get-go.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]