Diablo® III

[Guide] Sword/Board Lashing Tail Kick Builds

Ya zuggles we gotta team up sometime. I am a little curious about your set up though. Scorpion sting seems a little counterproductive with backlash, since stunned mobs won't attack you. If you are doing the alternating approach (quickening/LTK), I would think overawe would fit in better than backlash as you could activate overawe while using the LTKs.

I agree somewhat that this seems dis-harmonious. However in 1.08 with tons of mobs I find that Backlash still procs alot especially when you first dash in to the middle of a group and when also after my spirit is spent and I'm generating back up with quickening. So essentially mobs go from stunned to un-stunned, and during that time Backlash sustains a bit.

To your point, I just like this backash build solo as a personal preference. Partly b/c I frankly hate spamming mantras instead of kicks. I do switch to Overawe plenty of times, either when it falls to me in a monk group and/or of course when playing with any other character type. Just to good to not use. In that case I do fill my spirit, then pop Overawe and FitL Before unloading kicks in sequence. Personally I just find this a bit less Tanky when soloing high MP 7-9.

Reading back through this guide I'm now thinking of doing my exact build but with Ytar instead. Dropping lightning right on the mass of mobs, gaining even more cyclone proc, and see how Backlash works without any stun effect.
Reply Quote
If I were running LTK without much LTK gear or spirit regen gear, I think I would go this:

Scorpion sting
Quickening
Implosion or Eye of the storm
Cyclone
Overawe
XXXXXXXX

Cyclone strike pairs extremely well with scorpion sting. You get all the enemies in a nice cluster, and keep them stunned there. This will maximize the damage of LTK since its AOE vs spirit cost sucks. Cyclone production will be good as well since scorpion sting has a good proc coef, and you will hit multiple enemies at the same time. You could also get spirit back very quickly with quickening when enemies are grouped up all the time.

Mathematically, I don't know if activating overawe each time you use LTKs makes sense. But regardless, a permanent 24% multiplicative boost is just too much to pass up IMO.

You still have one slot free for whichever skill you like. Dashing strike would be fine, although the more you use cyclone strike, the more you will find you don't need it. It is actually better to be able to dictate where the enemies are standing than where you are. If elites are standing on a bunch of ground effects, dashing strike doesn't help the situation.
Reply Quote
Great guide, don't know how I missed this a few weeks ago ...My favorite way to use it is LTK/CS combo for public games. It totally turns a monk into a CM Wiz.I have found that as you say 17 is about the mark for the reduce cost, but for LpSS to really work well lowering that to 14-16 can have more benefit if the attack speed is slightly lower.
On a side bar note if they decide to ever work on this ability the first and only thing I would change is the ability to have flaming side kick proc.I love this rune and can have 4 moving at the same time!!
Other then that good luck finding this stuff, its next to impossible to find and I would think that knowing what I had to do to get what i needed its going to be even harder for others that want to try and find it.
Like your Mara's I have only ever seen one that had the double CC/CD like yours and had 4 to the LTK, and I have been collecting this stuff from the beginning of the game. I have two, one is a 10 CC 4 LTK and the other is a 8.5 CC 4
Reply Quote
Hi,

I've been wanting to develop my monk after getting bored with my barb and I found the LTK to be very interesting. The center of my build however, are weapons with attributes that make Fire Skills do X% more damage (Burning Axe of Sankis or Maximus).

The fire skills that I use are LTK: Vulture Claw Kick - 517% fire damage (or Spinning Flame Kick - 588% fire damage), Sweeping wind: Firestorm, and Exploding Palm: Essence Burn (745% fire damage over 9 with great slaughter effect).

The additional ~20% damage from the fire weapon makes all the skills above hit for more damage.

The only downside I see is that it is very hard to break the 100k dps barrier without sacrificing the LTK reduction gears.

Cheers!
Reply Quote
@Ronaldallan7
Sounds fun. You might work in Cyclone strike and then repeat a cycle of sucking mobs in and kicking them out with either Fire kick. CS Does not have do fire damage except for the fear rune, but overall this may still work better.

Good luck.
Reply Quote
Zuggles damn I always miss you in game lol. I jump in and you're ALWAYS listed as away what time zone are you in?
Reply Quote
Central Zone,

But you miss me cuz I'm really in the "Dad" time zone which only lets me play either in spurts or typically after 11pm CST.

I'm always away because I like to peek at Auctions during the evening before I play generally. If you send me a message I'll likely see it within a few minutes.
Edited by Zuggles#1174 on 5/29/2013 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Kind of tired looking for upgrades on AH. If anyone can find an upgrade for my weapon, shield, mara's, or a similar cold SOJ, I will pay very well. I also am in the market for a nice dex/vit, life% vile ward.
Reply Quote
nost sure if you're looking for lpss, but these are just sitting in my stash. Was holding them for brawling. I'll try to keep an eye on ltk gear when i can.

http://i.imgur.com/ZAFfo5j.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9tkERNb.jpg
Edited by RelytReborn#1727 on 6/30/2013 7:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Assuming LTK has a base cast time of 1. (couldn't find any information on it so I assume it is.)

I sit at 20.8 spirit regen w/ 0.9 attack speed w/ my gear/build (no IAS on my gear). So that would mean I would only need to reduce the cost of LTK by about -7 or -8 to make LTK infinite cast.

Should be easy for me to stay above ~120k dps w/ LTK SoJ and Skull grasp.

Only problem is I can't use the other abilities like cyclone/overawe that was mentioned in this thread unless I got more -LTK gear to keep it infinite cast.

Don't see much of a point though as Wave of Light is better in every regard.
Edited by jxfuller#1507 on 6/30/2013 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/30/2013 09:40 PMPosted by jxfuller
Don't see much of a point though as Wave of Light is better in every regard.

I'm pretty tolerant, but your posts really star to tick me off. First it's not worth playing HC as there are no money to be made on their market, next self-found is a yawn-fest and now LTK has no point, because everyone should bend down and worship the almighty Bell.

It's really only a game - people play it for fun and some like experimenting with different things and find enjoyment in the process. If you cannot at least acknowledge the validity of that sort of motivation, you really risk to come across as very immature and shallow, when making statements like the aforementioned ones.
Reply Quote
oh I'm all for experimentation and messing around, but not for spending your entire time doing something that is inferior in every way.

Also, I never said self-found is a yawn fest, just dumb way to play.
Reply Quote
oh I'm all for experimentation and messing around, but not for spending your entire time doing something that is inferior in every way.

So, basically, we should all play Bells and just mess around in the breaks. Also get paid for it and - may the 100 Gods forbid - never try to see how far we can go without using the AH at all. I certainly don't mind if those are your objectives for playing the game, but putting tags like 'wasting time on X build' or 'dumb way to play' on other people's play styles sounds a bit offensive.

Oh, and - yes, you did say 'yawn-fest'. In the topic of someone who managed to beat MP 9 Butcher self-geared and with a 'waste of time' build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9377318352#14

@OP: Sorry for diluting your amazing thread with off-topic disputes. I came here to see if a LTK shield I recently found for my alt Monk can be a viable way to go. Thank you for putting all of this information together!
Reply Quote
Laurelynd just ignore him. If he has nothing CONSTRUCTIVE to add don't wast your time directing comments towards someone so negative.

On a different note, I have also hit a wall finding reasonably priced LTK items Sheldor. Seems like there are too little of them and way over priced because of this.
Reply Quote

Really? That's interesting.

Because you did in overg's thread about clearing act1 mp9.

06/30/2013 02:06 AMPosted by jxfuller
self found = yawn fest.
Reply Quote
@OP: Sorry for diluting your amazing thread with off-topic disputes. I came here to see if a LTK shield I recently found for my alt Monk can be a viable way to go. Thank you for putting all of this information together!

Thanks! Is it a better shield than mine by any change? ^^ I still can't believe the best shield I have found in months of searching was for 500k, heh.
Edited by Sheldor#1759 on 7/16/2013 4:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Shameless bump for more feedback
Reply Quote
I used LTK/SS for a long time and really loved it. I finally changed over to WOL and of course it's hard to go back. I find the damage increase hard to beat as you noted. But the only rune I really like is the EW for the reduced spirit and I have mixed feelings on the knockback. One thing I really liked about LTK/SS is I felt like I could control the fight more. Hit BF to blind, LTK to stun and you didn't take damage for a bit. Rinse and repeat.

I will say prior to my current 2h I was SnB with around 170k unbuffed dps. I did go back and try LTK once but I felt like the dps loss with normal gear was way too much. However with your gearing suggestions it might make it worth another look.

And btw, very nice guide and write up! Thanks.
Reply Quote
added mp10 section
Reply Quote
I want to try this build but it is hard to find the gears :(

This build looks so fun
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]