Diablo® III

[Guide] Sword/Board Lashing Tail Kick Builds

Added a VOTA essence farming build
Reply Quote
I imagine that the LPSS is hurt by having all the -LTK gear, correct? The health bonus is based on spent and not the initial requirement?
Reply Quote
09/02/2013 07:28 PMPosted by Lumps
I imagine that the LPSS is hurt by having all the -LTK gear, correct? The health bonus is based on spent and not the initial requirement?

That is correct. It still provides some nice healing though. While attacking it is about 1000 hp/sec, and it is nice to mantra spam anytime for +3000 hp heals.
Reply Quote
Ive been using variations of LTK builds Ive found, mostly 2h builds revolving around Flying Dragon and The Guardian's Path, but I like the way this works so much better.

A spear or mace with no attack speed bonus is definitely the way to go over any fist possible right now.

Fairly good amount of coverage on builds, mines a bit different, but inner storm & circular breathing are both because I dont have enough cost reduction gear on right now. I will probably end up keeping one of them on though.

I dropped air ally, because it was too unpredictable and unreliable for me to bother with, strong spirit is incredibly useful however. Drop a few on trash around elites, beam them down, elites start hurting from the explosions, and your spirit soars up. Ive had it so my spirit wasnt going down with 4-5 LTK casts after that. Anyways, good job.
Reply Quote
I used a LTK build with the max possible spirit discount for a while. Granted: it was at MP0 but considering that I tried a variety of builds at that level when it was a challege to my monk I consider the lessons learned to be applicable to my future progression through MP levels.

Using a Hand of Ytar build was refreshing, but ultimately turned out to be as boring if not more so than the cookie cutter variety. At the level of spirit discount + spirit income where you can spam Hand of Ytar kicks; the damage isn't bad by any stretch (individual targets) - in fact the faster animation and fact it doesn't knock back makes it more competitive with wave of light than you might think (individual targets / small groups, again). However it's limited area of effect is the real problem. Furthermore, Hand of Ytar doesn't synergize with the utilization of your most effective static damage dealer: sweeping wind. Ultimately, playing as a single button, single animation ranged damage dealer wanna-be just didn't make for an enjoyable experience.

Lashing tail kick is just in a weird place. I believe it should be eliminated and combined with dashing strike. Most of the lashing tail kick runes cause knock-back which decreases killing efficiency and is therefore undesirable. Knock-back effects can improve upon your survivability but the game doesn't really reward the player for actively surviving and rather rewards killing efficiency / speed and over-gearing to the point one is able to stand in every damage hazard with impunity (which is the reason why scorpion sting isn't that great either).
Edited by AllByAll#1605 on 9/5/2013 9:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/05/2013 09:50 PMPosted by AllByAll
Furthermore, Hand of Ytar doesn't synergize with the utilization of your most effective static damage dealer: sweeping wind.

I agree that on its own, Hand of Ytar does not synergize well, but Hand of Ytar, Cyclone Strike, and Sweeping Wind work fairly well together imo.
Cyclone strike them in, and basically send beams down right on top of yourself while sweeping wind is already active and doing DoT. If you have cyclones on for sweeping wind, and have a decent crit chance, Hand of Ytar has a 0.80 proc coeff, which is even higher than FoT:TC.
Anyways, It might be more that its just not your style, you didnt enjoy it, but especially if you throw Exploding Palm:Strong Spirit into the mix, its alot more than just mindlessly spamming single target ranged shots.
Reply Quote
Have you thought about swapping air ally for FoF and swapping blazing wrath for infused with light?

This way you can keep on spamming LTK till you run out of spirit, and go nirvana to refill your spiritpool. If you use a 1.2 aps weapon, inner storm, exalted soul and ~4 SR from gear you'll lose ~10 spirit per second. This means you can cast LTK for 25 seconds (30 casts) until you have to go nirvana again.

Of course this is less because you'll also be using other skills like overawe, but you get the idea. This seems like a more feasible playstyle than the builds currently presented in this guide, which seem to have a net spirit loss and are only feasible when you don't have to attack constantly (you walk and regain spirit).

Cheers from the beautiful Europe.
Reply Quote
Do you guys know the attack speed modifer on LTK?
Reply Quote
Have you thought about swapping air ally for FoF and swapping blazing wrath for infused with light?

This way you can keep on spamming LTK till you run out of spirit, and go nirvana to refill your spiritpool. If you use a 1.2 aps weapon, inner storm, exalted soul and ~4 SR from gear you'll lose ~10 spirit per second. This means you can cast LTK for 25 seconds (30 casts) until you have to go nirvana again.

Of course this is less because you'll also be using other skills like overawe, but you get the idea. This seems like a more feasible playstyle than the builds currently presented in this guide, which seem to have a net spirit loss and are only feasible when you don't have to attack constantly (you walk and regain spirit).

Cheers from the beautiful Europe.

Yes, I have tried the nirvana build with LTK. It works pretty well overall I would say. Dual wielding was stronger than sword and board, because dual wielding has more damage and a larger spirit drain than S/B.

Overall, I would say it is not an ideal set-up, at least not if gearing up spirit regen and minus LTK gear. LTK just cannot take advantage of unlimited spirit like wave of light can. Also, LTK alternates weapons while attacking, while WOL just uses main hand. This is another disadvantage to LTK. If you go nirvana route, I just don't see the appeal of LTK. I would rather use quickening as a means of refilling spirit than having to use 2 skills (FOF, infused w/ light). The best success I had with nirvana and LTK was the following: scorpion sting, wall of light, fof, infused w/ light, inner spirit, overawe.

If you use LTK, FOF, and infused with light that is already 3 skill slots. So, when attacking with LTK you are gaining no benefit from 2 skill slots. LTK does not have the power of wave of light, so you want all your skills to be working together all the time. If you look at my preferred set-up (scorpion sting, eye of the storm, air ally, inner storm, blazing wrath, overawe) you will see that all skills work together basically all the time. Most would say air ally is pretty lackluster, and I would agree. But it is something that is always active, will tank some, will deal some damage, and provides nice bursts of spirit. The spirits activate a fair amount, and when you are slowly draining spirit they really do go a long way. Most times, it means a free couple overawe activations.

As you mention, these set-ups will eventually run out of spirit if constantly attacking. So, you should pick a MP level where you can drop elite packs in about 10-15 seconds or less with 1-2 cyclone strikes and 2-3 overawes. For me that is mp8, so I usually don't play higher.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 08:42 PMPosted by Sheldor
Yes, I have tried the nirvana build with LTK. It works pretty well overall I would say. Dual wielding was stronger than sword and board, because dual wielding has more damage and a larger spirit drain than S/B.

Who said anything about dual wielding?

09/10/2013 08:42 PMPosted by Sheldor
I would rather use quickening as a means of refilling spirit than having to use 2 skills (FOF, infused w/ light).

Understandable. I've tested both as part of a perma CS build and I found Nirvana refilling your spirit pool much faster. Quickening requires more swings which means less LTKs, but you have one more free slot for a damage boosting skill (or air ally). Personally I preferred the nirvana way because you have to Nirvana once and can forgot about your spirit for a relatively long time. With quickening you need to sneak in a couple of swings each (or every other) fight which I experienced as bothersome.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]