Diablo® III

Arcane torrent: Arcane mines

Are freaking amazing!! Anyone tried it? Huge crit damage, great AOE and melts mobs life butter. I only have 150k dps but I'm killing elites and champs faster than any build I tried before even on mp10.

Edit: And no more spamming 1234 every 0.5 secs.
Edited by venveng#1906 on 5/10/2013 11:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I tried but I think my APS is too high at just around 2.0 to be able to spam it.

By itself I think mines is like 5.1x multiplier, not counting CB, if you can spam it nonstop.

I'd love to find a good build that works with it on high MP but I think I need to drop IAS from my ring and maybe weapon to be able to spam it without overwriting the mines.
Reply Quote
Actually you really don't need to spam it. This is how I do it.
tele , frost nova, cast 2-4 ww, cast 4-6 (6 is max) arcane mines all over the place. rinse and repeat. no smashing the 1 2 3 4.
Edited by venveng#1906 on 5/11/2013 12:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Something you may want to see in "Minions...":
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796450297

I use Arcane Mines since 1.04, now it finally got a buff :)
Edited by Asher#1393 on 5/11/2013 6:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If I remember correct You need to be at under 1.5 APS to constantly spam AT: Mines and never have any duds.

I tried but I think my APS is too high at just around 2.0 to be able to spam it.

By itself I think mines is like 5.1x multiplier, not counting CB, if you can spam it nonstop.

I'd love to find a good build that works with it on high MP but I think I need to drop IAS from my ring and maybe weapon to be able to spam it without overwriting the mines.
Reply Quote
I haven't found any way to effectively use them yet. Working on it.
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 10:32 AMPosted by DoctorDoom

Check my profile. This build works really well on MP10. The goal was no CM, no FN while using Mines. I made a video and I'll upload it later today. It's funny how resilient it is with Blur, Safe Passage, Ice Armor, and everything attacking and moving slower. It makes me feel like a Warlock from WoW.
Reply Quote

Check my profile. This build works really well on MP10. The goal was no CM, no FN while using Mines. I made a video and I'll upload it later today. It's funny how resilient it is with Blur, Safe Passage, Ice Armor, and everything attacking and moving slower. It makes me feel like a Warlock from WoW.

There we go! I'll try it later. Why not LL/Prodigy/AD with it? How much APOC do you need?
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 5/11/2013 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I had 20 APoC and -5 Arcane Torrent cost from SoJ. I don't think the cost reduction was really needed, but I absolutely love having +30% damage to elites in every build I can work it into.

I'm not too keen on LL+AD that much these days with channeled spells. Mostly because everything dies so fast and I find that it really takes me out of the flow of combat having to restack it all the time whenever I have to move, get feared, get knocked back, etc. One of these days I'll force myself to just get over it and start using it again.
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 11:02 AMPosted by Malakai
I'm not too keen on LL+AD that much these days with channeled spells.

After toying around with dynamo the last couple days I agree. I was trying to make a build that used AD for elites and didn't need to bother with it for trash. It should work in theory but you waste an extra skill slot for LL and you lose a passive slot. It seems much easier to run with an extra defensive skill in that slot and there's plenty of useful passives that could go in that slot like blur, illusionist, or evocation depending on build.
Reply Quote
I had 20 APoC and -5 Arcane Torrent cost from SoJ. I don't think the cost reduction was really needed, but I absolutely love having +30% damage to elites in every build I can work it into.

I'm not too keen on LL+AD that much these days with channeled spells. Mostly because everything dies so fast and I find that it really takes me out of the flow of combat having to restack it all the time whenever I have to move, get feared, get knocked back, etc. One of these days I'll force myself to just get over it and start using it again.

I've been using your build and it's quite powerful. Thank you for the tips. It gets some time getting used to as it feels quite slow at first.
I don't see how I could use any other passives, they work perfectly together.
Reply Quote
For information, the SoJ with up to -5 on AP cost for Arcane Torrent is very useful here. The only problem is, it seems the cost reduction is bugged and doesn't apply to the Arcane Mines rune (maybe other cost reduction are also bugged with this rune, I don't know).

I've written a bug report on the subject, if you feel you are concerned with the problem (you should be if you're trying to use this spell ;) !), please bump it : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796090386
Edited by ParkerLewis#2105 on 5/12/2013 1:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
For information, the SoJ with up to -5 on AP cost for Arcane Torrent is very useful here. The only problem is, it seems the cost reduction is bugged and doesn't apply to the Arcane Mines rune (maybe other cost reduction are also bugged with this rune, I don't know).

I've written a bug report on the subject, if you feel you are concerned with the problem (you should be if you're trying to use this spell ;) !), please bump it : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796090386

Thanks for the heads up.

Malakai, how would you go about improving gear specifically for this build? Is getting atk speed any useful?

I've also tried replacing Magic weapon with other defensive spells or even attack skills, like Orbit stones. Although it works well, the small casting animation is annoying. As for other skills, it becomes a smashing fest or requires to add Critical Mass to your passives, which I find subpar at best.

I've also tried other runes for Blizzard, but Frozen solid synergies perfectly with Ice Armor.
Reply Quote
05/12/2013 03:22 AMPosted by Bashem
Malakai, how would you go about improving gear specifically for this build? Is getting atk speed any useful?

Higher APS with AM is useful to a point. Remember that you can only have 6 mines out at once and they have an arming time of 2 seconds. AM has a speed coefficient of 1.5. That means that if you want to be able to hold the button down and chain your mines without deleting previous mines, you need to either stay under a certain APS (off the top of my head I believe you need to stay under 1.98 or 1.99 APS or thereabouts) or you need to interrupt your channel with something else (another spell, moving, etc) periodically (basically sometime before the 7th mine is cast).

With the build I was talking about, ideally you'd want to cast 6 mines, then Blizzard, refreshing your time bubble as needed. With Frozen Solid, I believe the chance to freeze is applied only when you first cast it, so casting it before it expires is ok. A typical "rotation" at optimal APS would be time bubble (15 second duration), blizzard, 6 mines, blizzard, 6 mines, blizzard, 6 mines, blizzard. Bubble should be expiring at this point so then you start the sequence again. Obviously things might not go this smoothly since you might have to move out of stuff or get knocked back or feared, etc. And you might be weaving in Safe Passage here and there for the extra mitigation. This would be like a max dps rotation against elite packs where you don't have to move much or at all. For trash you can just bubble, blizzard, lay down some mines.

To get the very most out of all this, and in an "ideal gearing situation", you'd probably want as much Int, CC, CHD, average damage, and elemental damage (like from Tal's amulet, Zuni boots, etc) as possible, and then enough APS from your weapon and IAS from gear to get to around 1.9 APS or thereabouts. This will allow you to maximize your weapon damage while not having to completely ignore IAS on gear. Or you can use a Skorn and add some IAS as well. These options seem best because you're not relying on procs of any sort other than APoC, which shouldn't be an issue due to the high proc coefficient of AM. Skorn might actually be the better option since Blizzard is completely unaffected by IAS, so the big weapon damage will really help with that spell. Plus up to 6% Lifesteal is nothing to sneeze at, and will let you swap Blood Magic over to Force Weapon.

If anyone else is curious, this is the build we're talking about:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#eQgSlf!ZWd!baZcZY

I'll have a video of it up sometime in the next day or two. I recorded one already, but the audio got all screwed up so I want to redo it.

Also, you can go over 1.9 APS if you do different things with the build. Like imagine a build where you have high APS and you lay down 6 mines super fast, then cast other things like maybe Meteor, or use a channeled spell like Sleet Storm or Disintegrate, until the mines detonate, and then lay out 6 more mines super fast, and then do your thing again with Meteor or your channeled spell. Maybe try playing around with some stuff and see what you come up with like this. I bet with 18-20 APoC and some cost reduction on Meteor it could turn out pretty good.
Reply Quote
I've been using them lately since my DPS is a bit low for MP levels above 5. I had to give up my armor slot for them though. Since I'm doing CM, I just keep DS and FN going most of the time, while throwing down Meteor Showers (nearly infinitely) + Energy Twister/WW + Mines. It's really the only way I can make up for my low DPS.

Currently have 30 APoC, 41.5% CC + 15% FN/Deep Freeze, +200% CD and I get a 20% damage buff from Cold Blooded. I sometimes go to FN/Bone Chill to get another 15%, but with the new monster densities, Deep Freeze is far more effective.

Also have to use Shock Pulse and Energy Twister for LoH (+462 from Storm Crow). Keeps me alive most of the time.

With Arcane Dynamo and a critical hit, the mines deal over 500k damage for me. I need that. :D
Reply Quote
I've tried Stone orbit again, replacing Magic weapon. I personally do fine with 3% LS on MP8, so loosing Blood magic isn't a big deal so far. I find it adds quite some bit of dmg against elites, and it's very fast to cast in the middle of combat, right after teleporting for example. With 19 APOC, I don't find it affects my arcane pool.

And because I don't have your godly mitigation Malakai, I use Prismatic instead ^^
It helps tremendously for survival. Frozen solid and Slow time does a fine job at keeping enemies in place. I did like novas going off left and right when I used Ice reflect thought!

I'll work on my gear first.

Thanks again!
Reply Quote
05/12/2013 01:52 AMPosted by ParkerLewis
it seems the cost reduction is bugged and doesn't apply to the Arcane Mines rune

It does apply, but on lesser scale. With -9 total reduction from soj and grasp and only wearing storm crow for apoc, i had no ap problems. Even no need for storm armor - you can wear prismatic and still have enough ap to cast blizzard or frost nova when needed. I guess this build works best with skorn - cause it's easier to not exceed that 1.9 attack speed (think of frenzy shrine or some wd in party popping voodoo on elite) and you can get 6 ls there (i dont have 2b for good ls skorn, so try to manage with just some loh and blood magic). I currently use glass cannon, magic weapon and sparkflint to boost my damage, but i guess those could be changed for sth better.
Reply Quote
Didn't expect to get this many replies. Been doing some demo in-game. Just on general chat, some fellow wiz gets curious on how this build could work, so I just invite them and show the ropes. So has anyone did some test if this build are less of strain than of that CMWW?
Reply Quote
05/12/2013 03:19 PMPosted by Bashem
I've tried Stone orbit again, replacing Magic weapon. I personally do fine with 3% LS on MP8, so loosing Blood magic isn't a big deal so far. I find it adds quite some bit of dmg against elites, and it's very fast to cast in the middle of combat, right after teleporting for example. With 19 APOC, I don't find it affects my arcane pool.

Yea, I messed around with the Arcane Orb runes in the build, too, and surprisingly Orbit worked rather well. The "staggered" detonation of the orbs was actually helpful in always having some damage going out, thus healing me through Lifesteal, while I was laying down mines. Each of the little orbs has a pretty decent proc coefficient, too, so AP was never an issue. If the damage was buffed again on all the Arcane Orb runes, this would be a really, really good build.
Reply Quote
I could use some help with gearing.

I'm thinking about using my SoJ -5 mana cost as well as a second ring with cost reduction (skull grasp I guess). This would maybe allow me to use my better Triumvate for higher dps, but losing a source of APOC.

Is there a better setup I'm not seeing? I enjoy the defense and sturdiness of the build, but I could really use more DPS!

I was thinking on using MW - Electrify or venom to improve dps. Which works the best for spells like Blizzard and Arcane torrent?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]