Diablo® III

When to Crip: (4-gen Q)

So I've been playing around with using a 4 generator no spender (other than overawe) build where I just pick a few random generators I like and mindlessly punch my way across an act.

Typical Setup:
LMB: Wotf:BF
RMB: FoT:TC
MB3: DR:F
MB4: CW:M

I find when I get surrounded by mobs - outside of keeping buffs up - I end up spamming Crippling Wave mostly ... just because it seems like the most effective option from the sheer # of cyclones generated, but was thinking there must be some limit where CW should be used in terms of dps output. I haven't really used combo strike much, and solo play still think EP is better with my level of gear.

I'll guess 8! (4 behind 4 in front)
Reply Quote
sorry bruh, i blood. thas my way of life cuh
Reply Quote
05/16/2013 06:35 AMPosted by doughb1zzle
sorry bruh, i blood. thas my way of life cuh

Not sure why this made me think of Breaking Bad.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
oooooooooooh I can link this with relevance! yay!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmdoqcIhoiAGdENaTUpPRW1CQ2wtV2pPRDl4Q1YwWVE

Answer
Damage:
Mangle out damages Thunderclap at every single level of mobs hit above 1

Proc C:
When TC hits 1, M must hit 3
When TC hits 2, M must hit 4
When TC hits 3, M must hit 6
When TC hits 4, M must hit 7
When TC hits 5, M must hit 9
...ect.

It is quite likely at all trash mob levels that M will out perform TC.

It is impossible for M to out perform TC vs elites and VERY unlikely for it to do so against champion packs.

Should also be noted that TC generates ~9.12 spirit/sec and Mangle generates ~8.17 (assuming 1.0 attack speed).

Fun fact: DR:Scattered Blows is more damage, Proc C and spir/sec than CW:Mangle at every level of monsters hit up to 6 (the max number that SB can hit) at which point mangle is far better.

All info I have collected on spirit generators can be found here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6607333164

<3

-Druin, the happy monk
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info! Makes sense, I was surprised the number of cyclones generated by Crippling wave, it was just flooding the map since my dps is terrible and mobs kept piling up haha.

I think 3 generators + Implosion may be the better way for me to go, and variety is fun!
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
I actually use CW:Rising Tide in a lot of my MP10 builds and I couple it with SW:C.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the number of Cyclones that CW can produce!

However, when I fight against a single target it makes me want to scream :(
Reply Quote

Fun fact: DR:Scattered Blows is more damage, Proc C and spir/sec than CW:Mangle at every level of monsters hit up to 6 (the max number that SB can hit) at which point mangle is far better.

Yes! Scattered Blows was one of my favorite primaries when leveling up! Forgot about that, with increased density it becomes less of a handicap vs. TC!

Will be playing with that again for funsies next time I log on. Thanks for the reminder Dru!

Hmm. Gotta figure out how to work it in a build that isn't terrible. Maybe a combo strike with blazing to get the speed up.
Edited by Zuggles#1174 on 5/17/2013 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I feel like I would be far too lazy to count to 6 to make sure I use DR: Scattered instead of just occasional Foresight. Now if only Blazing buff would last 30 seconds...
Reply Quote
Heh at this point, I don't even really care if Thunderclap is more dps, Cripping Wave cyclone numbers are just fun to play with! The cyclone sustain while frozen because you can't see a thing is great too.

http://i.imgur.com/b3GINMf.png
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]