Diablo® III

Battle.net SMS ≠ Authenticator...

While I appreciate both an MVP response and a Blue response to my post, and I'm confused about why exactly it got locked (preventing me from posting this reply in that thread), I kinda wanted to clarify something that the MVP seemed to get but the Blue did not...

http://i.imgur.com/cBwodrP.png

Edit: This is in response to this blue post: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796680996#10

My biggest gripe is that there's plenty of ways to get an authenticator, such as the physical kind (which is what I have) or the free app for a smart phone. But if you want to cash out from RMAH to Paypal, you have to use SMS Protect, which means you have to have a certain (expensive) type of cell phone carrier. There is no alternative option like there is with Authenticators. And there never has been. Which is why I made the original post.

I also don't mean to circumvent a locked thread but I honestly have no idea why that thread was locked. o.o
Edited by Thortok2000#1374 on 5/13/2013 5:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
plz use imgur -_- tinypic sucks when i try to load it, doesnt even load. and it has too much random crap in it.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:24 PMPosted by WitchDoctor
plz use imgur -_- tinypic sucks when i try to load it, doesnt even load. and it has too much random crap in it.

Agreed, imgur is much better, thanks for letting me know of it!
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
It's actually something I've wondered about for awhile, as I know some prepaid numbers do work(in EU and Aus at least) but some don't seem to in the US.

I'd say try switching carriers or numbers but that's tricky isn't it? (we have like 10 different ones here in Aus)

The problem with using a friends phone is they can then remove your auth VERY easily, all they have to do is say they lost it and b/net sms's a code to remove it. That's why it isn't recommended.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Hi Thortok, I apologize if the lock threw you off guard. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I was leaving you hanging if I didn't respond immediately. I also apologize if I didn't totally catch the gist of your original post there. To speak to the issue again here, the issue is that it's by specific design that certain kinds of phones will not work with the SMS protect. As I understand it, this may in part be due to the idea that with a phone that has a regular subscription this may be a more thorough way to ensure security than say if a pre-paid phone was able to be used. It's a question that has been put to us multiple times, however for now the functionality remains as it is.

I may not be able to go into more specific detail or offer much more insight where that is concerned, but I'll keep my eyes on the thread in case you respond.

Regards,
Araxom
Edited by Araxom on 5/13/2013 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks again for the responses!

05/13/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Narull
The problem with using a friends phone is they can then remove your auth VERY easily, all they have to do is say they lost it and b/net sms's a code to remove it. That's why it isn't recommended.

This is a friend I trust, and they don't even play video games (motion sickness gives them headaches) so that isn't a concern.

My main concern was these three things:

A) If it's okay with Blizz that I do this and assume the risk myself, since I know stuff like account-sharing even with members of your own household is against the rules and stuff like that. I don't wanna do this and have some audit detect that the SMS holder's name and my name are different and ban my account or something. If it plain out isn't allowed I'll drop the idea right now.

And B) After the initial setup, how often does it require confirmation through SMS when you post something for sale on the RMAH to cash out to Paypal? Every single time you post something? (If so that would annoy the heck out of my friend to forward all those texts.) Just the occasional time, like once every couple of weeks? Only when there's a problem or investigation necessary? If it's going to be too much of an imposition for her, I wasn't going to ask her anyway, but a text every now and then should be fine. (Could maybe even set them up to be automatically forwarded or something.)

And finally C) If I go to post something, need a confirmation code, and wait for my friend to forward the text, would the time delay matter? (Especially if like she's asleep or her phone's off it could maybe even take hours.) I know an authenticator for instance the code is only good for roughly three minutes or less, isn't it? I could always wait to post stuff until I know she's ready to forward a text, though, but knowing ahead of time would be beneficial.

I really wish there were some more realistic alternative that didn't involve me recruiting a friend or spending double what I currently spend on cellphone service, though. =( When SMS Protection was announced as a requirement to cash out to Paypal on the RMAH, I raised a big fuss and even called customer support about it and basically got the answer of "We don't exactly know why it is this way, we just know that it is." Very unsatisfying and as I said, resulted in my desire to play Diablo becoming very lackluster.

I'm sure I'm not the only prepaid customer that would like to be able to enjoy the full benefits of the RMAH, even after all this time. In fact, more and more carriers are offering prepaid plans, nowadays. Although as I understand it, carriers that offer both prepaid plans AND contract plans work with Battle.net SMS Protection, even if you happen to be on the prepaid plan with that particular carrier (I saw a lot of people say so on the forums back when Diablo 3 first came out)...it's only carriers that ONLY offer prepaid plans that don't work with Battle.net SMS Protection...which makes this even more frustrating, by the way, since even those carriers' prepaid plans are more expensive than the one I'm currently on. >.<

(Here's a link to an example of the forum posts I'm referring to: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5968247138#3 )

So, is there any way to pass this complaint up the channels? Considering there are plenty of alleged prepaid customers claiming to current enjoy the benefits of Battle.net SMS Protection simply because their carrier happens to also offer contract plans, "the idea that with a phone that has a regular subscription this may be a more thorough way to ensure security" sounds nice but doesn't seem to quite apply. It's not really detail or insight that I'm looking for, though, it's a solution (that hopefully doesn't involve me shelling out unnecessary money for services I don't need.)

I mean, it wasn't available at first, but the free smartphone app was eventually offered as an alternative for the physical Authenticator. Could some realistic cheap or free alternative be designed for prepaid cellphone customers in my particular situation? Or at least the suggestion to look into such an alternative be passed up the appropriate channels?

My biggest frustration is that nobody seems to care and "just get a different carrier" seems to be the final answer. Which is again why I'm trying to think outside the box with the whole "use a friend's phone instead" thing. =/
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
A) If it's okay with Blizz that I do this and assume the risk myself, since I know stuff like account-sharing even with members of your own household is against the rules and stuff like that. I don't wanna do this and have some audit detect that the SMS holder's name and my name are different and ban my account or something. If it plain out isn't allowed I'll drop the idea right now.

And B) After the initial setup, how often does it require confirmation through SMS when you post something for sale on the RMAH to cash out to Paypal? Every single time you post something? (If so that would annoy the heck out of my friend to forward all those texts.) Just the occasional time, like once every couple of weeks? Only when there's a problem or investigation necessary? If it's going to be too much of an imposition for her, I wasn't going to ask her anyway, but a text every now and then should be fine. (Could maybe even set them up to be automatically forwarded or something.)

And finally C) If I go to post something, need a confirmation code, and wait for my friend to forward the text, would the time delay matter? (Especially if like she's asleep or her phone's off it could maybe even take hours.) I know an authenticator for instance the code is only good for roughly three minutes or less, isn't it? I could always wait to post stuff until I know she's ready to forward a text, though, but knowing ahead of time would be beneficial.

A) 'Not allowed' may be a strong way of putting it - 'Not advised' is probably more in the range of where I'd go with it. To offer some other perspective here, as we go along with our phone system - we might specifically pull info from the call to aid us in verifying who the caller is. If we see that a phone is registered to a different name than that which is on the account, that might hinder the verification process rather than help.

B) We specifically keep these details a little cryptic as the answer may not be a static one. You may find that the code is not prompted for each and every transaction, however you may also see that at other times it is. What affects this, I am not at liberty to say.

C) I cannot speak to this in specific detail, other than to say that if the code was not entered relatively soon around the time that you were prompted, the transaction may not be authorized.

I know that this has been a ongoing request for the prepaid phone users who like yourself wish to participate in the RMAH. As ever, our policies and procedure are subject to change and this too may be something that is updated in the future.
Reply Quote
Thanks again for the response. At this time, the best solace is to know that the frustration is being heard by the "right ears," so to speak. ^_^ I really do hope it gets passed up so those who actually make policies and procedures are advised that this situation is still frustrating for those of us who are in it, and a solution is still desired.

Considering your answers, I agree going through a friend's phone probably isn't gonna do me any good. Too much hassle for both me and her.

I also understand and appreciate where you can't offer more detail and that's fine, you've answered all my questions. ^_^

In the meantime, perhaps I can consider the alternative presented by this poster: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4857236032

It's not free, but at least it's cheap. I'll try it later this week after my next paycheck.

But your information has helped me make an informed decision, so again thanks!
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
05/13/2013 06:19 PMPosted by Thortok2000
This is a friend I trust, and they don't even play video games (motion sickness gives them headaches) so that isn't a concern.

Off topic, but this is how I came to love D2. FPS games, which I tried first(Quake 3 Arena), made me very sick so a friend pointed me to D2 and the rest was history.

Good luck with the Tmobile player suggestion!
Reply Quote
Something you have, something you Know. Two-step authentication. doesn't work as well when you don't actually have the "something you have", even if it is the SMS rather than the authenticator.
Reply Quote

I know that this has been a ongoing request for the prepaid phone users who like yourself wish to participate in the RMAH. As ever, our policies and procedure are subject to change and this too may be something that is updated in the future.

Most ppl I know have dropped their post paid provider for the service and benefit of pre-paids. Not having annual contracts, not being locked into just one phone without option to upgrade for more contract time, and the ability to change plans as needed on a monthly basis are HUGE advantages. It would be worth Blizz's time to consider letting more prepaid providers through the door as many smart users of smart phones and responsible bill payers are moving into the prepaid area of phones.
Edited by Raistlin#1979 on 5/13/2013 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Someday I might try D3 with 3 other regular players over for a weekend a month play. Characters that don't level without the full group, maybe even an agreement not to use the AH even. Who knows, but real people playing together makes just about any game fun.

I agree on both points. I do not use the AH, personal choice, and got into this playing with friends. One of whom I recently reconnected with after 10 years (college, jobs, travel, life). We used to log on at midnight to level/MF together to reduce the lag on our dial up connections. heh. I suspect some gaming sessions are in order on proper high speed interwebs.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 07:24 PMPosted by MissCheetah

Off topic, but this is how I came to love D2. FPS games, which I tried first(Quake 3 Arena), made me very sick so a friend pointed me to D2 and the rest was history.

Good luck with the Tmobile player suggestion!

Since we're off topic, have you tried googling 'video game motion sickness cures'?

When my friend told me she gets motion sick from games, I googled it, and apparently there's a few different short term solutions (everything from change lighting to eat some ginger) but the only long-term solution I've seen is to play in short bursts, quitting before you get sick, and eventually your short bursts get longer.

I almost never get sick from a game but when I do it isn't very much. I just put the game down when I feel myself starting to get sick, and not pick it up again until I feel okay, and eventually the game doesn't make me even that little bit sick anymore. I do, however, get sick something awful when I read in the backseat of some cars (or should I say some drivers). Especially in direct sunlight. I get sick even imagining that situation, lol.

It's also apparently more likely for women than for men, too, which is interesting.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that! Maybe you can go back and play some games you missed out on after all?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Huh...that is very interesting actually and thank you for posting. I have tried playing in short intervals, but about 20 mins was the max. That said, I can read in cars for hours, have no issues on boats, no issues on planes, etc. Just first person viewt games for some reason. Argh. I WAS able to fly a military Blackhawk flight simulator without getting sick a few years ago so maybe I should try again.
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 5/13/2013 8:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]