Diablo® III

exp/hour ranking of areas + best exp route(s)

Nubtro, thanks for this great thread. I run a TR monk, looking for new routes and hoping for something more fulfilling than the old 6 minute or so runs that were popular in 1.0.7. I'm really excited about your a2 path because you get to KEEP PLAYING and of course farming keys for infernal machines. I have no idea how a TR monk will fare on this path (especially since I'm undergeared for doing "true" TR runs in MP1, where the new density kicks in), but I'm going to try it anyway.
Reply Quote
Did a lot of testing tonight.

Pretty much even though on a per run basis it may lower your XP/hr, running Storm Halls is ALWAYS the way to go.

Supporting data:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0gMgiAJ3WsmYlNVeTBkb250eGc/edit?usp=sharing

I did a n=10 for each of the different spawns in East and West Channels.

Did n=5 for the rest.

Edit forgot to do the Math for Desolate Sands and Aquaducts. Its worth it for me to do desolate sands, but not aquaducts.
Edited by Chazhang#1745 on 5/21/2013 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
One of the best threads I've seen so far... I'm glad there are people who choose to invest the time (this must have been done over hundreds of hours!) and save everyone else the trouble.

Thanks to the OP!
Reply Quote
Hey Nubtro. I haven't had much time to compile data runs but from what I recorded the elite density from my last 6 runs:

Locations:

.Unknown Depths: 2; 4; 4; 3; 4; 4;
.Storm Halls: 3; 3; 2; 3; 3; 3;
.Forgotten Ruins: 4; 3; 2; 3; 3; 3;
.Western Channel: 2; 1(1); 1(1); 1(1); 1(1); 1(1);
.Eastern Channel: 3; 2; 2; 2; 1; 1; 2;
.Desolate Sands: 4(1); 4(1); 3; 2; 5(2); 4;
.Dalghur Oasis: 3(2); 6(1); 4(1); 5(1); 4(1); 5(2);
.Black Canyon Mines: 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 1.

Edit: The number in parethesis were nephalem valor that would be reset/acquired via pre-set events and ocasional resplendent chests. I thought it might be good to keep track of that as well.

These runs were made all made together I'd normally start on Black Canyon - as normally the elite density is quite good for it's size - and then randomly proceed to the other locations. I did full clears on all of those zones. I didn't run VoTA because everyone knows it and do it, so elite density is well-known.

From my experience since game launch and many, many, many months of being stuck in Act2, back in 1.02, elite density hasn't quite changed, at all.
Black Canyon's still the best bang for the buck for quick nephalem valor, simply because it's small and it normally comes with at least 2 elite packs. It's normal monsters are plain fallen which is quite good for start-up in non generator builds. (trying to start on Dalghur and getting raped by 30 vipers wasn't a pleasant experience, Desolate Sands can be also a little too harsh)

.I didn't record xp gain because: I run mp 8 - 9 because of my low dps and lack of SoJ and I only have 12%Ms.

I'll Keep tracking elite density, so if you want/need more data let me know.
Edited by Ravlaor#1393 on 5/21/2013 7:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Most efficient Act 2 run based on the researched data (note that this is currently the best exp route in the game until proven otherwise):

VotA->Oasis->Ruins->Channels (VORC)

1. Vault of the Assassin (#10) -> arguably the fastest 5 NV stacks in the game
2. Dahlgur Oasis (#4) -> start from the lower left "Path" waypoint, clear the whole area
3. The Forgotten Ruins (#3) -> enter as soon as you find it, afterwards leave through the entrance
4. Western & Eastern Channel (#1) -> enter from the Oasis

I believe I've beaten this run... I've tested your run along side this run about 5 times and this run tends to do about 10M exp per hour better on MP10.

Here's a YT video I made of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zYNQO4R5sg

The Run basically just picks up the 6 best areas of act 2 in 1.0.8. Please keep in mind that for my run I did it on MP10. I feel like the lower MPs might benefit from a shorter run simply because elites are so much easier to kill.

TLDR Version: The longer it takes you to kill elites the longer your run should be.

The Run:
Desolate Sands - Try to get your 5 stacks here if possible by killing multiple elites at the same time.
Unknown Depths - I put this area first simply because you may need additional elites.
The Storm Halls - You want to have 5 stacks before you hit this high exp area.
Dahlgur Oasis - Enter and finish up to when you find the Forgotten Ruins
Forgotten Ruins - Finish and exit back out to the Oasis.
After finishing the Oasis head to:
Western and Eastern Channel

With this run I'm averaging right around 135M exp/hour. In comparison I'm getting 115-125M per hour with the VOTA run (ON MP 10) and around 115M running eastern and Western Channel over and over.
Edited by Tank6ge#1314 on 5/21/2013 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Chazhang and Ravlaor thanks for the data, I really appreciate your efforts. I´ll add links to your posts.

I believe I've beaten this run... I've tested your run along side this run about 5 times and this run tends to do about 10M exp per hour better on MP10.
The Run basically just picks up the 6 best areas of act 2 in 1.0.8. Please keep in mind that for my run I did it on MP10. I feel like the lower MPs might benefit from a shorter run simply because elites are so much easier to kill.
With this run I'm averaging right around 135M exp/hour. In comparison I'm getting 115-125M per hour with the VOTA run (ON MP 10) and around 115M running eastern and Western Channel over and over.

Hmm, it´s difficult to compare uncomparable. You dual wield, have slightly higher displayed damage (assumind 294K is with BR up) and yet these were my exp/hour gains running VORCS
1. +257,495,383
2. +225,951,553
3. +246,079,611
4. +220,568,196
5. +220,790,721

My lowest is 63% more exp than your average. If I may, you should seriously consider changing Warcry and Bash to Rend (Blood Lust if you have problems with survival - with BL you should not have them) and Overpower Killing Spree ASAP. Thank me later. It´s the #1 best exp farming build in the game, period.

That being said, I´d have to run your route which is basically the same as mine except you get stacks in Sands which is suboptimal IMO because of how large the area is and the number of elite packs vary a lot - compared to VotA which you´re 100% sure to get 5 stacks very fast.

But OK, Chazhang´s tests seem to point in favour of also running Desolate Sands which makes #6 on my list of top areas, and I´ve originally included Sands and Aqueducts as optional areas to end your route. According to my data it should be lower than Oasis but it´s probably close to it for people like Chazhang who one shot stuff in Sands with a simple Rend while he has to stick to Snake packs in Oasis for a second or two who otherwise don´t die if they disappear (not sure).
Reply Quote

The thing is that you're not running the route on your optimal MP, nor are you using an optimized XP build.

If you were to drop down the MP and kept track of the XP/hr in both the runs, its possible that you might find VORC coming out on top.

There is no mention of having to do MP10 and the difference between doing MP 8 9 or 10 isn't as large as people believe it is if you're wearing a hellfire and ruby in your helm. Relative to MP8, MP10 is 33.6% more XP per mob and versus MP 9, 15%. The difference is even smaller when you include the XP bonus from your follower.

Generally speaking I would say that the requirements for farming MP 10 is a crit brawler rend (using lacerate calculations if you're using that rune) of 4M, MP 9 of 2.9M and MP 8 of 2M. Although you can run MP10 with less than 4M, I don't think it would be considered your optimal MP at that point.

Also for killing elites, I'm not sure why you decided not go with an SoJ. Off class 6/30 SoJs are extremely cheap and give an enormous boost to take down elites quicker.
Reply Quote
05/21/2013 11:13 AMPosted by Nubtro
But OK, Chazhang´s tests seem to point in favour of also running Desolate Sands which makes #6 on my list of top areas, and I´ve originally included Sands and Aqueducts as optional areas to end your route. According to my data it should be lower than Oasis but it´s probably close to it for people like Chazhang who one shot stuff in Sands with a simple Rend while he has to stick to Snake packs in Oasis for a second or two who otherwise don´t die if they disappear (not sure).

A lot of it had to do with optimizing my route in the Desolate Sands. Oasis is very easy to optimize since starting at Path to the Oasis is very close to mobs and allows you to easily orient yourself. In the Desolate Sands going from Ancient path is way to far and you can't try to finish the run at the Archives since you'll get a checkpoint there. So you're forced to run a path dependent on your waypoint location which can spawn in 1 of 7 locations. So far I've found the best way is to head south for around 5 seconds, in 5 of the 7 cases you'll get a cliff formation that will indicate your location. In the last 2 cases, you'll be heading in the correct direction for an optimal clearing path anyways and just need to recognize which of the two you're running by 15 seconds in which is easy because one of them will hit a wall and one won't. By eliminating backtracking while still clearing around 95-100% of the map I increased my XP/hr from around 150 to 170 (n=5).

I'll end up making a diagram for optimal pathing through all the zones at some point. Right now I'm trying to see if I can get ANY kind of pattern that will help clearing the channels more effectively. I have 43 maps that I screenshotted from yesterdays runs but so far it's looking like the random pieces used to generate the map are tiny and will unlikely be solvable like KD2.
Edited by Chazhang#1745 on 5/21/2013 12:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wouldn´t hitting TAB for a second help a bit to figure out how far away the Sands waypoint spawned from Path to the Oasis? Just a thought.

Channels are very random and the small dead ends are nasty but the area´s potential is too good to pass up :/
Reply Quote
Hey Nubtro, a bit off topic, but do you know which is more rare? Tomes vs Gems.
Reply Quote
Quite a while ago when people over at diablofans were researching base drop chances of items and their quality from elite packs (later from trash), I got around 50% on tomes and 11% on gems from elites. So gems are more rare. The % may have been changed since then and they may also be different for trash monsters so take that with a grain of salt.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 5/21/2013 2:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So should I be doing VORCS at the highest MP i can manage?
Reply Quote
05/21/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Nubtro
Quite a while ago when people over at diablofans were researching base drop chances of items and their quality from elite packs (later from trash), I got around 50% on tomes and 11% on gems from elites. So gems are more rare. The % may have been changed since then and they may also be different for trash monsters so take that with a grain of salt.

Alright thanks for the quick answer!
Reply Quote
Alright finally collected all my data and finished analyzing it.

The short answer for me is:

VotA - Desolate Sands - Oasis - Ruins - Channels - Storm Halls

I recorded 3 runs of this route and hit a peak of 358M and an average of 340M; however, the zones are SOOO variable that this number really has no meaning.

Due to the nature of how variable the spawns in Act 2 are I had to do everything by deconstructing the run and using statistics to analyze the zones.

In the end running storm halls is good (P>0.05 for the null) but aquaducts is bad (P<0.05 for the null).

I also included the instance where you might not even have wrath (due to some bad RNG in the channels) for the storm halls but that ended up not being statistically different in the end (P>0.05 for the null) although the mean suggests you should skip it.

The major flaw in my analysis is that it doesn't include the load time. I always started the counter once I was in the zone. I just randomly guessed that my cumulative load time was around 30s but even with those values it seems like this method ended up inflating the XP rate by a bit. If I were to discount the ~14% xp boost from my 340M avg I should be at 298M xp/hr, whereas if I simulated a run using a hellfire using this data I should hit 300M xp/hr. The thing is that I even switch out to a Leorics during some of the easier zones so I should be higher than the 300M prediction in reality.

Here's the final product:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0gMgiAJ3Wsmek81aWxra2FSVkU/edit?usp=sharing
Edited by Chazhang#1745 on 5/23/2013 4:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow I really appreciate the data you´ve collected.

Some results surprise me to be honest. For example Sands being quite a bit better than Oasis for you which was the other way around for me. But I´ve already posted about it, I assume the main reason is that you have to stick to snakes (Oasis) and can just go full rend-running in the Sands and everything dies fast.

Hope to see you make a video about Sands, I´m still struggling with the area a bit, how to efficiently clear it, that is.

Anyway, looks like you´re very close to paragon 100 now (lol my second barb is 96 already ._.), so I´m not sure if you´ll actually have benefits from the data collection :/

But yeah, big thanks again. Linking this in the first post.
Reply Quote
I actually just finished making a video about this with some tips and stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veYW96MzJTs&feature=youtube_gdata
Reply Quote
Robot Chaz knows his stuff, good video.
Reply Quote
This is an admirable thread and effort. Thank you all who have contributed.

I have a question (and I apologize if this has been asked already): would the next step be to calculate xp and mob density in each area, especially "problem mobs"? I realize this is difficult due to the lack of distance measurement tools and some areas being randomized, but I think these things can be controlled for.

The reasoning is that I found on my dh that act 1 is the fastest for me in mp10. The reason was that act 2 has the whirling dervishes and skelly casters that were giving me trouble, and thus causing me to die much more often and slowed down my overall killing time; meanwhile I have no problem with the trees or savage beasts in act 1, and the abominations only give me minor trouble with their knockback. I would not be surprised to find that each class and spec experiences these differences in difficulty with various mobs; maybe coming up with a "difficulty index" might be helpful as well?

I realize this is the barb forums, but I was linked here from the dh forums; I think this thread has relevance beyond just the barb community. I think something like this would be worthwhile, and would be glad to contribute.
Reply Quote
1. You´re welcome Dienekes.
2. Props to you for being able to play MP10 with a DH.
3. I have all classes at level 60 but none beside my Barbs are able to do MP10 so I really can´t help you with gathering data for them. But this doesn´t mean that lower MP isn´t viable to exp level. Each person should stick to the level he´s comfortable with.

That being said, I believe the A2 route is so good that it´s probably not possible for A1 to beat it, unless you really die a lot to snakes and stuff. The thing is, as a Barb, unless you face a molten, electrified, reflect damage, health link pack and play it stupid, you should not easily die...I admit I sometimes do in Storm Halls when I run into a pack of like 6 or more Construcs and don´t dodge their missiles (I have <400 allres). That´s pretty much it. So a difficulty index is not really useful for Barbs.

But of course, if you feel like doing a couple of Woods->Misery->Agony2 runs (or whatever your optimal route is) and compare your exp gain as a DH with VotA->Sands->Oasis->Ruins->Channels->Halls, I´d be glad to see your results.
I actually just finished making a video about this with some tips and stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veYW96MzJTs&feature=youtube_gdata

Great video Chaz. You spend a lot of time gathering data, optimizing the route, making a video, adding both spoken and written description to it...and of course most people comment on how fast you talk ._.

Btw. I really think you should try staying to finish off the snakes in the Oasis. I think they don´t die if you run away from them, so you lose a lot of exp (they´re the main deal in the area). Their disappearing seems to get rid of Rend. I simply can´t believe you get considerably less exp from the Oasis than Sands, it´s just not right.

---

Anyway, I just hit paragon 100 with my second Barbarian...would making a third be way too crazy? Or, what else should I do?
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 5/27/2013 11:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, this thread is simply amazing.

Just a few questions, as I'm kinda new to this barb thing.

Are there some sort of timings that I should be killing elites by, or some other indicators of what MP I should be doing? I ask because I can survive in Mp10, but according to Chazhang's video, I'm 100k dps short :(.

Also, I still use Rend - Blood Lust in order to just not worry about being killed by the more nasty variety of elites, how big of a disadvantage does this put me at?

If it's of any use, I'd be happy to provide any data during my runs, I just need to know what to collect.

My barb: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/shish-6321/hero/21598446
Edited by shish#6321 on 5/29/2013 7:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]