Diablo® III

Gold Dupe Bug Caused By Integer Overflow?

Here's the best (and most reasonable) explanation I've found of what caused the bug...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2,147,483,648 (or 231) is the maximum value you can store in an int32 in programming.

Simply put, their RMAH gold selling code wasn’t written to handle numbers over 2,147,483,648 properly, and the result was duplicate gold being added to people’s stashes.

And so, the dupers created these 6-billion-gold auctions which only appears to sell as 1.7 billion (and therefore only had 1.7 billion deducted from the current balance), canceled them, and were fully refunded the 6 billion for a net profit of the difference (4.2 billion).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know at this point most people don't care what caused it. The main concern now is how they plan to make it right, and I'm not sure there's an easy answer without rolling back everything.

The first step is to lock down as much of the duped gold as possible through bans and rollbacks, but it's obvious they won't get it all. Much of the gold has likely been transferred to mule accounts or randomly handed out to other players, and I'm not sure how far Bliz can track it.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
05/09/2013 02:20 PMPosted by zdmajor
Thoughts?

This would have been found with less than 1 hour of QA. Now imagine all of the other nasty bugs in this patch. We just scratched the surface.
Reply Quote
Here's the best (and most reasonable) explanation I've found of what caused the bug...
2,147,483,648 (or 231) is the maximum value you can store in an int32 in programming.

Simply put, their RMAH gold selling code wasn’t written to handle numbers over 2,147,483,648 properly, and the result was duplicate gold being added to people’s stashes.

And so, the dupers created these 6-billion-gold auctions which only appears to sell as 1.7 billion (and therefore only had 1.7 billion deducted from the current balance), canceled them, and were fully refunded the 6 billion for a net profit of the difference (4.2 billion).
I know at this point most people don't care what caused it. The main concern now is how they plan to make it right, and I'm not sure there's an easy answer without rolling back everything.

The first step is to lock down as much of the duped gold as possible through bans and rollbacks, but it's obvious they won't get it all. Much of the gold has likely been transferred to mule accounts or randomly handed out to other players, and I'm not sure how far Bliz can track it.

Thoughts?

na I think it was a signed integer overflow (up to 4ish Billion) because doing it with only 2B gold didnt seem to work .
Edited by Asura#1611 on 5/9/2013 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So there was people already auctioning billions of gold when they notice the bug? Because if i got it right, the bug can only work if you post over X billions.... right?
Reply Quote
na I think it was a signed integer overflow (up to 4ish Billion) because doing it with only 2B gold didnt seem to work .

It worked with any amount over 2,147,483,648
Reply Quote
05/09/2013 03:09 PMPosted by Acu
So there was people already auctioning billions of gold when they notice the bug? Because if i got it right, the bug can only work if you post over X billions.... right?

aye, that's a problem in and of itself.

I know people are sick of hearing it, but without a good item sink, inflation would end up doing this anyways eventually.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]