Diablo® III

202K DPS / 645K EHP: The Balanced Budget Way

Many of you who are reading this post may know me from this "little" guide I wrote for junior monks back in the day as a budget way to get to 100K DPS / 400K EHP in this guide here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435708

Well, 50 paragon levels later, this is the continuation of "the balanced / budget way" as I progress into the 200K DPS bracket. Furthermore, I have retained the principle of the "balanced monk" and have ensured that my DPS gains have not come at the expense of EHP and in fact, have built up my EHP while upgrading my DPS. I put this post to inspire those who wish to be able to do this on a budget, and also to defy the notion that significant upgrades at these levels necessarily cost over 100M, as I can assure you that not one item on my monk cost me more than 40M.

Here's a link to the d3up.com snapshot of my monk in case my profile is showing a different setup / build: http://d3up.com/b/609075/nameless-snapshot

Stats on my paragon level 70 monk:
    202K DPS / 645K EHP / 5.2% LS
    34% IAS / 50% ChC / 527% ChD
    684 Resists (OWE) / 5,577 Armor (STI)
    51.4K HP / 12.55x HP:EHP ratio (92% damage reduction)
    645K Ranged EHP / 730K Melee EHP / 693K Elite EHP

Slot-by-Slot Cost of Gear
I have combed through my AH purchases and have figured out approximate costs / value of the items on my monk that have gotten me to this point.
    Helm: Inna's Radiance 5.55M
    Shoulders: VW 11.5M
    Neck: crafted
    Chest: Inna's 7.35M
    Gloves: crafted
    Bracers: crafted
    Belt: Witching hour: 40M
    Pants: Inna's pants 6M
    L ring: Nat's ring: 25.6M
    R ring: Litany (gift) - Est value of 20M
    Boots: Nat's boots (gift): Est value of 10M
    2H Weap: LS Skorn 32.8M

Total cost of armor & weapon: ~160M (not including gems).
Current market value of the gems: ~71M gold.
Grand total of the non-BOA items on my monk: ~231M

Random things to note:
  • This has been done with a LS Skorn -- many believe that this is a "shortcut" to 200K, and I suppose that it is. But let me just say this is not my TR/Bell monk (I'd have to swap out my ~20M lit ring for a 4.6M 2.28/25/4% WoL SOJ) that I have been running this particular monk in MP10 group games to great success without using TR (or DS for that matter)
  • I have been extraordinarily lucky as far as BoA crafting goes... I have probably spent no more than 25M on crafting so far, and my amulet and bracers in particular are as close to BiS as I can probably get
  • My most expensive item on my monk is the Witching Hour belt - cost me 40M
  • The cheapest item on my monk is my Inna's Helm - this cost me 5.5M
  • Amongst my non-BOA slots, I have gotten my resists as close to max as I could - a combined total of AR and LR comes out to 521 out of a possible 530. I am very proud of this little detail
  • Most of my pieces were purchased on the bid, and not on buyout. The only notable exceptions were my cheapest 2 pieces - the Inna's helm at 5.5M and my Inna's pants at 6M - I could not pass up the quality rolls at such a reasonable price
  • I only have 1 Radiant Star Emerald on my whole monk; the remaining sockets are filled with Flawless Star Emeralds while my helm is socketed with a Perfect Star Amethyst.
  • Majority of these items were purchased before the big gold duping scandal that may have bumped up AH prices - I believe that it is temporary, and prices should come back down again within a matter of weeks)
  • My BOA crafted glove replaced a glove that only cost me 10M to purchase -- the glove it replaced actually had 1K higher DPS, but the BoA gloves gave me a 30K EHP upgrade
  • Yes, this uses OWE... but I argue that if you are on a tight budget, you absolutely have to use OWE. The only ones that can afford to get to these levels without OWE are those who have either injected their accounts with moneys from RMAH, get extraordinarily lucky with drops or spend a lot of time AH flipping / arbitrage trading to make gold for upgrades.

• Anyway, I just wanted to share this accomplishment of mine with the monk community at large. Hope some of you can be inspired by this.

--

Apparently, there is someone else out there who is also going the budget way. Check out this profile and gear costs:

Look to this post for profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796361062?page=5#95
    (I can't post a link to his actual profile... it's kinda funny that way)

Helm - 10 million. (Buyout)
    Shoulders - Craft
    Amulet - Craft
    Gloves - Found
    Chest - 450K (Buyout)
    Bracers - Craft
    Main Hand Ring - 5 million (Buyout)
    Off Hand Ring - 10 million (Buyout)
    WH - 16,537,500 (Purchase)
    Inna's Temp - 14 million (Buyout)
    Zuni boots - 12 million (Buyout)
    Shield - 18,900,001 (Purchase)
    Sword - 135 million (Purchase) - It broke my heart.

Total spent on gear (not including gems & crafting): ~212M

This is a S&B setup that yields:
      189K DPS / 852K EHP / 2.8% LS
      26% IAS / 58.5% ChC / 343% ChD
      580 Resists (OWE) / 5.5K Armor (STI)
      76K HP / 11.21x mitigation (HP:EHP ratio)
      853 Ranged EHP / 898K Melee EHP / 853K Elite EHP

--

I have since made some upgrades worth about ~50M and geared myself out of OWE too by replacing my SR helm and pants with AR versions of the same. I lost some 1% IAS, but gained EHP and now have the option of dropping OWE. I am also using an Inna's belt that I had from before in place of WH, and did a small upgrade to my litany ring for slightly more damage with virtually no impact on EHP. At this point, I can drop OWE and still come close to 600K EHP, which is not a bad thing, I don't think.

--

Any like-minded monks out there reading this thread and have any question or comments... feel free leave a comment and I'll do my best to respond (or maybe community can do so too).
    Edited by Nameless#1537 on 5/30/2013 11:29 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    very nicely done,
    if u dont mind my asking
    if u went without owe and dropped bout 60resists
    how much more do u think u would have ended up spending?

500mil?
    Reply Quote
    Call me crazy, but I'd be thinking your Nats ring would have cost more then your WH. Unless of course you found it, in which case you'd need to go with it's market value. I admit, I just started playing again a week n a half ago or so, and was gone for 2-3 months, but before I left I'm pretty sure a 4% Nats ring was more then 40m gold.
    Reply Quote
    Very nice! Look at those BoAs.
    Reply Quote
    05/13/2013 10:42 PMPosted by Starwulf
    Call me crazy, but I'd be thinking your Nats ring would have cost more then your WH. Unless of course you found it, in which case you'd need to go with it's market value. I admit, I just started playing again a week n a half ago or so, and was gone for 2-3 months, but before I left I'm pretty sure a 4% Nats ring was more then 40m gold.

I purchased mine for 26.25M just over a week ago. Prices of items like these have dropped significantly in your absence. My WH might not even be worth 40M any more, as that is one of my older items left on my monk.

very nicely done,
    if u dont mind my asking
    if u went without owe and dropped bout 60resists
    how much more do u think u would have ended up spending?

500mil?

I don't know. But to do what you are asking, I'd simply look for AR versions of my helm, pants and belt. I honesty don't know how much that would be -- all I know is that the Inna's pants would cost over 100M, and I'm sure the WH would cost well over that too. So 500M might be the minimum you can expect to spend to gear out of OWE. If I got a massively amazing drop that would allow me to switch up those 3 pieces, I'd probably give it a shot. In the meanwhile, I'll do it one slot at a time... probably starting with the helm, and then the pants as those would likely be cheaper to do than the belt.
    Reply Quote
    05/13/2013 10:51 PMPosted by Nameless

I purchased mine for 26.25M just over a week ago. Prices of items like these have dropped significantly in your absence. My WH might not even be worth 40M any more, as that is one of my older items left on my monk.

Wow. I really need to build some gold up then, and finally get a nats ring/boot combo. If I could replace my rare ring with a 4-4.5% Nats and my boots with a mediumish dex/vit pair, I'd probably gain a solid 10-15k DPS. Thanks for this thread, just for that simple tidbit of information!
    Reply Quote
    Wow. I really need to build some gold up then, and finally get a nats ring/boot combo. If I could replace my rare ring with a 4-4.5% Nats and my boots with a mediumish dex/vit pair, I'd probably gain a solid 10-15k DPS. Thanks for this thread, just for that simple tidbit of information!

Actually most of the items that used to be extremely expensive are pretty much affordable now, with the 5 BoA slots, reaching high DPS is pretty easy now. Provided you have RNG luck like Nameless's amulet for example.
    Reply Quote
    05/13/2013 11:04 PMPosted by ReaLDX

Actually most of the items that used to be extremely expensive are pretty much affordable now, with the 5 BoA slots, reaching high DPS is pretty easy now. Provided you have RNG luck like Nameless's amulet for example.

Yeah I've started crafting Amulets, I figure that's probably the place I could get the most improvement from right now(Don't take what my SC monk is wearing as actual DPS, I have a leorics on, I'm at 157k dps). If I could get luck on all 5 pieces(ammy, shoulders, gloves, bracers and chest) I think I wouldn't even need nats ring/boot combo to hit 200k dps.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Hi sir! It's been a while ;; making quite the progress though, it's nice to see :)

Might have to get on and do some runs with you guys one of these days. Any sheBane sightings lately? Kamel said he was gonna get on MH today... he lied >< Perhaps your influence? :p
    Reply Quote
    Hi sir! It's been a while ;; making quite the progress though, it's nice to see :)

Might have to get on and do some runs with you guys one of these days. Any sheBane sightings lately? Kamel said he was gonna get on MH today... he lied >< Perhaps your influence? :p

I tried getting onto the MH beta, but didn't get any kind of confirmation email. I doubt that I'd really get into it though... I don't have room in my life for another game, let alone this one.

Kamel made a big sale in AH this week, so he might be occupied in trying to find upgrades. And sheBane just contacted me and she might be coming back soon for a run! Shoot me a message next time you are in game... we should try to get emails coordinated.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    (1) I tried getting onto the MH beta, but didn't get any kind of confirmation email. I doubt that I'd really get into it though... I don't have room in my life for another game, let alone this one.

(2) Kamel made a big sale in AH this week, so he might be occupied in trying to find upgrades. And sheBane just contacted me and she might be coming back soon for a run! Shoot me a message next time you are in game... we should try to get emails coordinated.

1. well, keep in mind it's FREE to play :p and it goes live june 4th :p
    2. yeah, he was telling me on steam about it earlier when I was trying to get him to get on MH, I think he's still hooked on D3 though :/ Steelphantom and Simplemath (and my buddy who gifted me my key) have been playing MH a lot lately though, so fingers crossed more people give in and come over to the dark side :p

As far as me playing D3, I think at this point it'll only be to play with you guys, so whenever you're on lemme know and I'll see about getting on for a few runs :D
    Reply Quote
    I downloaded while I was banned planning to play but while I was doing that I got unbanned

but il give it a go at full release we should all add each other :) my name bagginsj on mh
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    My brain hurts from looking at the AH...I think I'm just going to sit on it.
    I wanted to jump into MH but I was having fun with baggins and a co-worker. I think I'll be doing more MH once it goes fully live.
    I all but quit D3 but got sacked back in, mostly because of baggins!
    And I forgot how great the Monk community is.

-------------------

back to the OP, when I saw your stats a few days ago, i was thoroughly impressed! Great job man!
    I need to figure out how to get there, but with DW. I like DW, pew pew!

Regarding BoA, did you buy mats or farm them ?
    Reply Quote
    wut is this MH
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    05/14/2013 05:42 AMPosted by adonis
    wut is this MH

https://www.marvelheroes.com/

it's being done by many of the same people (including David Brevik) who were formerly Blizzard North and the ones responsible for D1 and D2
    Reply Quote
    Nameless: I've achieved just about the same thing you have on my monk: http://d3up.com/b/394254
    She's using my LS echo in the snapshot, but with my dps echo or skorn its 215k dps

Helm: Inna's Radiance 3mil
    Shoulders: crafted
    Neck: crafted
    Chest: BT's chest 20mil
    Gloves: crafted
    Bracers: crafted
    Belt: Witching hour: 40m (20m)
    Pants: Inna's pants: 30m
    L ring: Nat's ring: 30m
    R ring: Litany: 80m (30m)
    Boots: Nat's boots: 6mil
    Echo: 20m
    Rare axe: 80m

Total: ~136m these days for armor. 100m for the weps. a lot more for the gems lol. With price changes some of these items might be cheaper, that's why some prices are in parenthesis.

I might have spent a bit more than you, but I'm happy with where my monk is at. I could use a vit roll on my gloves (or IAS) or a vit roll on my bracers, but going for that, high dps and my double resist would be insane.

Our stats are pretty similar, but I think you pull ahead of me with %life and armor. I was looking into crit nat's rings the morning of the great gold dupe, and almost bought one, then the AH went down. What was once 100m is now like 400m, so I'm waiting on that to drop back down to normalish levels. Currently sitting on 260mil! Yikes! And I may or may not have bought a skorn for 170mil with gold from a gem I sold hehehe :)
    Edited by Amiar#1992 on 5/14/2013 5:54 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    As a balanced monk, I approve of this thread. Have you tested your EDPS Nameless?
    Reply Quote
    Very nice monk. I went for the balance route too but didn't went for Nat's gear which made it harder to get dps. As of now I stand at 199.5k dps using a soj and ice climbers and 720k ehp on d3 http://d3up.com/b/620522 on d3rawr it is like 791k or so.

I feel very good with this setup so far and I managed to drop owe which allows me to try different setups.
    Reply Quote
    HA just bought a LS skorn to play around with before you posted this, funny how similar I ended considering how your 100k guide helped me get over the first hurdle.

Thanks namelss
    Reply Quote
    @GAPS
    As much as it looks alluring, I highly doubt that I would invest more time into learning another game right now. It has taken a significant investment of time for me to learn / play this game to the degree that I have so far and I am already not feeling good about how this has impacted family life. So while I have set up my acct, I am doubtful to get involved. I'll see how I feel about it come fall/winter though where days go shorter and I may have some other ideas...

--

@Amiar
    +armor has actually been very important for me, as I like to have the option of going STI free rather than OWE free if I had to drop one of the passives. I think I'll edit my OP and go slot by slot and delineate either cost or estimated market value for each item like you have in your post.

While I don't have 269M to play with, I'm sitting on 260M right now and trying to figure out my next move. I think I may need to work on my DW monk, but I'm having a hard time finding an upgrade on my SK that won't break the bank.

As it stands, my MH weapon damage on my DW setup is sitting at 100K, and 110K against elites (which is pretty good considering that my DW monk's overall DPS sits at 171K) and I play primarily DS/WoL (and CS/WoL when I do group play).

--

@KamelJabber
    For crafting mats, it was all done via collecting, although the only thing I needed to buy were the tomes. They are pretty cheap, so i'd be buying a huge stack (I bought 2K of them this morning in preparation for upgrading all of my emeralds to perfect stars -- I think it's about time for me to do this) and I might also buy some tears as I have probably chosen not to salvage about 30% of my rares because vendor prices > market prices of mats. So I might end up buying about 500 tears to make up for those ones so that I can continue to craft gloves -- that is probably where I am going to devote the rest of my crafting efforts until I get a good upgrade there.

--

@Sharenis
    I have not tested eDPS off of my 2H monk yet. I'll do that later. I know that my DW monk has about a 10x ratio from DPS to EDPS on with my build, so my approximate single target DPS on my DW monk is sitting around 1.7M. I'll do some ghom tests later to check on my 2H monk later tonight and post results later.

--

Thanks for your comments kuller & echelon... and that is one rockin' monk you have there echelon. 720K EHP would be nice... built like a tank, huh?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]