Diablo® III

202K DPS / 645K EHP: The Balanced Budget Way

I understand some of your abbreviations but not all of them, could you include a guide or is there one in your other guide?
Reply Quote
@ADRENALINEXX
In the sticky at the top of the monk pages are a list of many useful links. There is a link there that points you to a list of commonly used abbreviations in these parts. Here's the link:

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/77606-diablo-iii-urbandictionary/

As for the abbreviations I've used in my OP:
IAS = Increased Attack Speed
ChC = Critical Hit Chance %
ChD = % Critical Hit Damage
HP = Hit Points / Health Pool
EHP = Effective HP (uses HP and mitigation to figure this out)
LS = Life Steal
OWE = One With Everything passive
STI = Seize The Initiative passive
TR = Tempest Rush
WoL = Wave of Light
SoJ = Stone of Jordan (ring)
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 5/14/2013 8:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nameless, continuing on with crafting because I actually have some gold to spend crafting :)
Did you specifically farm for mats or just collected DE's and mats as you played...?
Reply Quote
Nameless, continuing on with crafting because I actually have some gold to spend crafting :)
Did you specifically farm for mats or just collected DE's and mats as you played...?

I farmed for DEs in VotA. This is where having an LS Skorn and doing TR/Bells really helps, as I am able to clear MP5 / MP6 VotA in well under 10 minutes (probably under 5 mins if I skipped all trash mobs) and at an average of 8 elite packs in there and 25% DE drop rate, I could probably average 2-3 DEs per run, so I could collect on average about ~20 DEs per hour. I've stopped doing this for now, but I would probably resume this if I were to get short on DEs.

But yeah, I'd collect all crafting mats as I went along, and when I was ready to dedicate 5M to crafting, I'd head into AH to pick up whatever mats I was missing. I found that the tomes of secrets were my bottleneck, but now that I am planning to work only on gloves, I think that I may need to buy tears too. As I mentioned earlier, I don't salvage everything, only rares that cost less than 2K, and sell the rest... being the cheap monk that I am...
Reply Quote
Thanks for your comments kuller & echelon... and that is one rockin' monk you have there echelon. 720K EHP would be nice... built like a tank, huh?

Thanks I can tank most things but depending on affixes I have to reposition myself using DS. If not bells help me keep alive I like using blinding light for the stun. But for my EP build DS works best and in groups with another monk I play, one of us uses MoC and the other MoH with guiding light passive for added dps.

Which I could have done it with your budget though.
Reply Quote
Wow this is very cool. I am trying to achieve the same results while dual wielding and it just seems right now I am having to choose whether to sacrifice EHP or DPS to increase one or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My current stats are 182k dps unbuffed and 496k ehp with 600ar.

I am torn between trying to craft an upgrade for my gloves or shuffling some stats on the helm/pants?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Reply Quote
Wow this is very cool. I am trying to achieve the same results while dual wielding and it just seems right now I am having to choose whether to sacrifice EHP or DPS to increase one or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My current stats are 182k dps unbuffed and 496k ehp with 600ar.

I am torn between trying to craft an upgrade for my gloves or shuffling some stats on the helm/pants?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Unless you want to change all your gear I would suggest getting inna's pants with 190+ vitality, you would lose 50 resist but its worth it and all ubers can be done in MP10 with 550AR. Getting those pants will give you a total of 530k ehp and 49k HP. Next step would higher dps weapons but after that all your gear will be more and more expensive.
Reply Quote

Unless you want to change all your gear I would suggest getting inna's pants with 190+ vitality, you would lose 50 resist but its worth it and all ubers can be done in MP10 with 550AR. Getting those pants will give you a total of 530k ehp and 49k HP. Next step would higher dps weapons but after that all your gear will be more and more expensive.

Ok, cool I actually put some bids in on both inna's pants with vit and a new innas helm with no armor but more vit and resists. Is it recommended to continue to increase your armor beyond 5k if you plan to keep using seize the initiative?

Very excited to get into MP10, long time goal and honestly i have never tried it... ever.
Reply Quote
Nice Nameless!

Definitely used your guide along the way as I transitioned in to playing Monk a couple months Back. Lots of help in there.

Continuing along the way at a casual pace. Current Goal to break 100 DPS with a shield and keep my EHP up in the 650 range.

Anyway, Thanks for the guide. Glad you are accomplishing much and staying with the game. Nice to read most of what you post

Good luck.
Reply Quote

Ok, cool I actually put some bids in on both inna's pants with vit and a new innas helm with no armor but more vit and resists. Is it recommended to continue to increase your armor beyond 5k if you plan to keep using seize the initiative?

Very excited to get into MP10, long time goal and honestly i have never tried it... ever.

Send me a friend request. A lot of the time my group has 3 people, because one of our friends loves to pvp. Just help with machines.
Reply Quote

Send me a friend request. A lot of the time my group has 3 people, because one of our friends loves to pvp. Just help with machines.

Sure! I always have a few machines.
Reply Quote
Oh snap!
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 09:34 AMPosted by Piffle
Oh snap!

Wut?
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 09:42 AMPosted by Nameless
Oh snap!

Wut?

New Nameless guide!

How much do you feel like RNG on your crafted pieces played into you being able to hit 200k/600+ for a reasonable budget?
Reply Quote
Gotta tell you nameless I envy (good envy) your bracers. I have crafted about 1k of them and cant find an upgrade I got in my first 25 tries :(
Reply Quote
Congrats on 200K/645K. For the record, I have the bad kind of envy for your crafting luck.

In some ways I think the main lesson here is: If you can't afford the gear you want in the AH, wait a while. Eventually, it comes up cheaper.
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 09:01 AMPosted by Keeferton
it just seems right now I am having to choose whether to sacrifice EHP or DPS to increase one or the other.

Amongst my non-BOA slots, I have gotten my resists as close to max as I could - a combined total of AR and LR comes out to 521 out of a possible 530. I am very proud of this little detail

An often overlooked stat that I notice a lot of junior monks is the amount of resists you leave on the table when purchasing items. In this new era of BoA, you want to do what you can to get as many of your required resists on purchased items so that you aren't relying as much on BoA crafting for EHP on DPS slots. In my case, I only left a total of 9 resists on the table. @Keeferton, in your case, I think I counted around 60-70 resists you left on the table on non-crafted BoA slots (I may be off on this). On my monk, that works out to around 40K EHP. My principle is always... buy EHP, craft for DPS, since EHP will always be cheaper to buy than DPS.

So in your case, beef up your EHP (aka mitigation AND HP) in other areas, and then go hard after DPS and you may find that you don't have to trade off as much EHP as you think).

And as for your question about more armor, I am a big fan of +armor. Before I sold my gloves, I had ~5700 armor on my monk, but sold it for my crafted one that gave me more overall EHP than my old pair. I have 12.55x mitigation factor for my EHP (92% damage mitigation) and that increases the effectiveness of any life return. I prize mitigation, not just HP. For me, it's not just about EHP, but how you get at it. I much prefer higher mitigation, lower HP vs. higher HP and lower mitigation at equivalent EHP levels.

--

@Piffle
Crafting has helped me tremendously. With that said, if I dropped my litany ring for an equivalent unity ring, I'd lose about 40K EHP, and gain about 7K DPS. That would have costed about the same. So even with lesser crafting, the goal is probably still achievable on a tight budget. But yes, my RNG luck in crafting has been extraordinary and there is no denying that. But I also think that prudent purchases on my non-BOA gear has also set me up for not being overly dependent on BoA for EHP stats.

And no, this is not meant to be a guide as it's not about a how-to. It's just me sharing my experiences about getting to these milestones on a restrictive budget. But I am willing to field Q&A from anyone who wants to ask questions. Please feel free to chip in with answers too (if you are around) as your input is very valuable in processes like this.
Reply Quote

An often overlooked stat that I notice a lot of junior monks is the amount of resists you leave on the table when purchasing items. In this new era of BoA, you want to do what you can to get as many of your required resists on purchased items so that you aren't relying as much on BoA crafting for EHP on DPS slots. In my case, I only left a total of 9 resists on the table.

@Keeferton, in your case, I think I counted around 60-70 resists you left on the table on non-crafted BoA slots (I may be off on this). On my monk, that works out to around 40K EHP. My principle is always... buy EHP, craft for DPS, since EHP will always be cheaper to buy than DPS.

This is something I've seen you mention quite a bit, and I'm having a little bit of trouble formulating my question regarding this philosophy, so if this isn't very eloquent, forgive me:

I haven't looked much at gear in the AH recently, but past experience shows that as rolls on gear approaches perfect, the price rises exponentially. So, for example, a pair of Inna's pants with 40-45 lightning resist might cost 4 million, but a pair with 55-60 might cost 20 million.

How do you balance the drive for close to perfect resist rolls with the extra cost? At what level do you say, "I'm not spending X amount for Y more resists"?
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 5/14/2013 10:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
near perfect rolls especially with resists + other high main stats can get crazy in price. I honestly don't know what I am going to do after the AH comes back up with the higher gold cap on rmah. Prices are going to be nuts, if they weren't already. Keeping the balance is very challenging lol
Reply Quote
How do you play with zero pick up radius? That would drive me nuts. I always end up throwing mine on the belt because Witching Hours with good stats are super spendy, so I get average to good with high PUR.

I keep waiting on that awesome craft that includes some PUR. Hasn't happened yet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]