Diablo® III

202K DPS / 645K EHP: The Balanced Budget Way

I just found this guild!

My monk was built based on your first 100K/400K guild.

Since then I was more concentrated on my Wizard (thanks to group demand).

With the impending critical mass doom (which is doom for both CM and Archon), I want to improve my monk again.

I have around 120M which is highest I ever had (my monk was built with items all less than 10M each).

I prefer fast attack SW over slow Bell builds. It's just me I just don't like slow attack much. I do have LS skorn that's around ~1200 DPS I believe if I have to go back to it.

While I will be comparing my gear to Nameless' gear trying to upgrade, I would appreciate any kind of advice/help from anyone.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
@GodsDragon
If you are planning to play with a WW Barb, then I think this kind of gear combo (with some mods) will be the way to go, as you would need to TR just to keep up with the barb -- that is, if you plan to stick together. The only changes I'd make is to swap out either the litany ring for a WoL SOJ with >2 spirit/second or the nats boot/ring combo for same ring and a zuni boot. And then respec for a TR/Bell type of build. Maybe something like:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ack.eS!d!YZa.bY

With a Chant of Resonance and/or Exalted Soul passive if you are able to gear out of OWE and/or STI too.
Reply Quote
Help me nameless. I have been following your build and have about 160mil left but am only @ 167k dps unbuffed. What pieces should I look @ upgrading to get past 200k while not taking a big hit on survivability? :D
Reply Quote
@gungnir - I'm not that great at doing gearchecks, and I don't see a complete profile on your monk, so it's hard to comment on your overall monk. I think it would be also helpful to provide your d3up link so that I can take a closer look at your overall monk.

@jboku -- it looks like you may have copied (as best you could) the pieces that I have, albeit slightly lower quality in some cases. One of the things that I wrote in my OP is that my amulet (and to a smaller degree, my bracers) are almost BiS crafts (IMO) as far as DPS/EHP balance goes and, admittedly, goes a long way to giving my my DPS totals. One of the things you can do is to load up my profile while you are logged into d3up, and equip my amulet and bracers and see what it does for you. I suspect that those two items make up the biggest (maybe 75%) of the difference between your DPS and mine. Some other things to consider:

(1) Roll efficiency is very important to me. As I mentioned in my OP, I had <10 missing resists in all of my non-craftable slots. I typically aimed for perfect when I could, but sometimes fell short by 2 or 3 points. This allows me to maximize my resists in each slot to raise my mitigation and EHP without having to use up resist slots in other areas. The big glaring one for me is the one in your WH. Not that you have to switch that out... just be aware of it.

(2) No wasted affixes. It's important to me to maximize the use of the available random rolls for any given piece. Case in point, you used up your random affix in your inna's chest for MF, which to me, is a total waste unless you are using it for TRing in low levels. I'd rather put it towards vit, but you could also apply it towards resists. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you know exactly what you are looking for in each slot. So in your case, the dex/int roll in your nats boots isn't that great, nor is the 4% life in your inna's helm, and again the MF in your inna's chest.

That's my 2c so far.
Reply Quote
I just found this guild!

With the impending critical mass doom (which is doom for both CM and Archon), I want to improve my monk again.

I have around 120M which is highest I ever had (my monk was built with items all less than 10M each).

I prefer fast attack SW over slow Bell builds. It's just me I just don't like slow attack much. I do have LS skorn that's around ~1200 DPS I believe if I have to go back to it.

While I will be comparing my gear to Nameless' gear trying to upgrade, I would appreciate any kind of advice/help from anyone.

Thanks!

@gungnir - I'm not that great at doing gearchecks, and I don't see a complete profile on your monk, so it's hard to comment on your overall monk. I think it would be also helpful to provide your d3up link so that I can take a closer look at your overall monk.

http://d3up.com/b/426542

Sorry about that.

Here is my d3up page (skills are based on doing MP10 uber)
Reply Quote
I just found this guild!

Thanks!

http://d3up.com/b/426542

Sorry about that.

Here is my d3up page (skills are based on doing MP10 uber)

I know you are busy Nameless but let me know if you have any advice :)
Reply Quote
@gungnir
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. It has been a bit busy on my end. With that said, as I look at your profile, there are so many pieces that could be switched up. General principles that I follow when gearing are found in both my first guide and this one and I will repeat here:

(1) You have really high EHP, especially when equipping an SoJ! Unfortunately, most of it comes from vit and not from mitigation, which compromises your ability to gain back life via LS, since each Hp you get back is less effective

(2) When you pick up anything with resistances, it's important to max out on it as much as you can... you would generally find that when it comes to SR gear, the cost difference between 35 and 50 is not that much, but over a bunch pieces, that adds up to a lot... i'm looking at your WH in particular, but nats boots too.

(3) I understand you like ASPD, but when you look at max stat rolls, you may realize that there is more to gain in putting ChD in amulet rather than IAS -- it's because max IAS is 9% regardless of slot, whereas CHD maxes out at 100% on amulet, and only 50% on gloves, rings, witching hour. Your amulet is the first thing I'd switch out - you aren't getting very much DPS potential out of that slot, since you only have two DPS affixes in there (CHC and IAS, no ChD, dex, AD). If you are gonna buy or craft an amulet, aim for at least dex/chc/chd...

(4) 2.6% LS looks a bit low... the closer you get it to 3% the better if you are doing DW... I'm not familiar with the EF/BS combo, but I think that it might be hard to get to high DPS with that combo right now.

(5) the 86 vit roll on your inna's pants isn't that great. Consider getting a resist roll in there instead - it may drop your EHP, but it'll raise your mitigation, which will help your survivability in the long run

(6) At your DPS level, I'm really not sure if it's worth equipping an SoJ. A wailing host or unity ring will give you higher DPS, while a litany ring will give you much better mitigation. IMO, your overall DPS needs to be able to one-shot trash mobs in high MP levels before SoJ can be useful...

That's my general feedback so far. Hit me up in game if you have questions.
Reply Quote
@gungnir
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. It has been a bit busy on my end. With that said, as I look at your profile, there are so many pieces that could be switched up. General principles that I follow when gearing are found in both my first guide and this one and I will repeat here:

First thank you for taking time to give such detailed advice on each part. I will try to add/ask on each part

(1) You have really high EHP, especially when equipping an SoJ! Unfortunately, most of it comes from vit and not from mitigation, which compromises your ability to gain back life via LS, since each Hp you get back is less effective

(1) This is something I worked backward. I used to have higher MIT(mostly via poison resist).
I was using d3up and I saw VIT raised my EHP but just recently realized that LS is more effective with more migration than more VIT.

(2) When you pick up anything with resistances, it's important to max out on it as much as you can... you would generally find that when it comes to SR gear, the cost difference between 35 and 50 is not that much, but over a bunch pieces, that adds up to a lot... i'm looking at your WH in particular, but nats boots too.

Yeah that's what I picked up reading your 2nd guide(this one), I am trying to "snipe" better Nat's boots and WH which has higher resistantce, as well as vile ward and Inna's helmet without sacrificing offensive stat. Too bad it is hard to snipe since the 55+ SR filter really trim down the number of items.

(3) I understand you like ASPD, but when you look at max stat rolls, you may realize that there is more to gain in putting ChD in amulet rather than IAS -- it's because max IAS is 9% regardless of slot, whereas CHD maxes out at 100% on amulet, and only 50% on gloves, rings, witching hour. Your amulet is the first thing I'd switch out - you aren't getting very much DPS potential out of that slot, since you only have two DPS affixes in there (CHC and IAS, no ChD, dex, AD). If you are gonna buy or craft an amulet, aim for at least dex/chc/chd...

The reason for the Blackthorn as well as SOJ was because I was running MP10 uber with friends and I didn't want to die and be a burden. Blackthorn set bonus was just too good to pass up. That said another reason is probably because I don't have any good DPS amulet. (best one I got is DEX + AVG dmg + 10%cc but no cd). I will try to buy one since I don't think I'm at a point where I can "gamble" via crafting (tried quite a bit but didn't get anything decent). At least I could sell them back if I buy one.

(4) 2.6% LS looks a bit low... the closer you get it to 3% the better if you are doing DW... I'm not familiar with the EF/BS combo, but I think that it might be hard to get to high DPS with that combo right now.

I agree. I have been looking for a cheap way to get rare to replace either EF or BS.
EF replacement is hard to find due to DEX + IAS + CD it has. Only ones are the ones that has CD + OS + DEX + 1.40 + high damage which costs fortune.
BS could be easier to replace but BS also has 50CD + OS + DEX + LS but it is low DPS.

I may try Shenlong but I don't think it would be much more cost effective.

(5) the 86 vit roll on your inna's pants isn't that great. Consider getting a resist roll in there instead - it may drop your EHP, but it'll raise your mitigation, which will help your survivability in the long run

This is probably first upgrade that I could find pretty cheap. I will either go for 55+ poison or 55+ AR.

(6) At your DPS level, I'm really not sure if it's worth equipping an SoJ. A wailing host or unity ring will give you higher DPS, while a litany ring will give you much better mitigation. IMO, your overall DPS needs to be able to one-shot trash mobs in high MP levels before SoJ can be useful...

Same thing I have said above for the amulet(for uber). I do have some rare rings that does more DPS but not much.

That's my general feedback so far. Hit me up in game if you have questions.

Will do for sure :)

EDIT: What do you think about going BT pants(AR + extra VIT+DEX) + Lacuni(with CC around 4.5 + AR) instead of Inna's pants + Rare Bracer? This will allow me to keep my 100VIT BT set bonus and free my Amulet slot for a rare one.

Loss
CC (1 from Inna's + 1.5 from Bracer)
8% Element dmg (Inna's)
Dex (Less DEX(~150) from BT pants than Bracer + Inna combined ) => Nevermind if you count Inna's set bonus lost also it is not worth it anymore

Gain
LOH (from BT pants)

Depends(can't remember stat perfectly of my items)
AR (BT + Lacuni - Bracer double resist)
Life (BT(VIT) + BT(Life%) + BT set bonus(VIT)- Bracer(VIT) - Inna(VIT))

Probably not worth it for people with good crafted bracer but since I don't have one I think it may work
Edited by Gungnir#1425 on 6/3/2013 2:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Nameless, I've recently switched over to monk from a DH. As you can see, almost all the gear that my monk is using came from my DH (with the exception being the helm and weapon). I also have a lithany that boosts my total AR to 511, but I still feel kinda squishy playing at high MP levels. Could you give me some advice for gear upgrades I should be aiming for?

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it!
Reply Quote

Probably not worth it for people with good crafted bracer but since I don't have one I think it may work

No, just craft bracers.
Reply Quote
I have a balanced 300m monk with no OWE here :) feel free to check it out!! (granted my chest piece was a drop)
Helm: 11mil
Chest: dropped (so lucky!!)
Pants: 100 mil
Main hand: 3mil
Offhand: 3.5mil
Belt: 10 mil
Boots: 6.3mil
Ring: 50 mil
Shoulders: 2mil ( a looooooong time ago)
Ammy: i think it was about 15 mil
Bracers: 40mil
Gloves: about 50 crafts
HF Ring: 1 craft
Reply Quote
OP I like your monk very similar to mine. I made mine flexible by just switching out gems. I'm not to 92% dmg reduction yet, just 91.6 - 91.8%...almost there depending on gems in armor.

I think people underestimate the value and flexibility of having a set of Amethyst gems to go with your emeralds can give you.

With 5 Rad Star Emeralds in Innas:
234K DPS
548K EHP
91.83% DMG reduction

With 5 Rad Star Amethyst in Innas:
213K DPS <very small dps hit
697K EHP < massive EHP jump
91.69% DMG reduction

When I do Ubers or want to show off by not dying I go with the Amethyst.

Granted I probably spent 3x as much as you did.
Edited by sQueaky#1300 on 6/3/2013 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I tend to get a little skeptical of "this is all you need" guides, so when I get bored, I do a little research:

Inna's Helm: 34 million cheapest, 2 million without armor
Vile Ward: 45 mil cheapest with single resist 50 plus 70 all resist
Inna's Chest: 28 million, and that's even dropping dex and vit by 10, and those only had 10% life, not 12
The Witching Hour: I couldn't find any with 60/60/60 of any of the single resists, so the closest I found was 60 all res for 300 million. Dropping resists to 50 I found one for 20 million
Inna's pants: 5 million for the cheapest single resist
Nat's Ring: 35 million with 3.5% crit chance, a buttload more with life%
Litany: 15 million
Nat's boots: cheaper, unless you really want that extra 3-5 resist
Skorn: Over 75 million, and that's dropping crit damage to 170

The point? Guides like these are bad. And extra bad for monks, because you have to assume that people can find gear with their single resist. Doing this little fun test, I had to try every single resist to see what the prices are, and frequently did not find any gear with the necessary stats. But on top of that, you cannot say "you can gear for x amount" when in reality, you can't. And you can't assume that people can craft that gear. I've crafted hundreds of amulets, hundreds of bracers, and havent' found anything close to what you have on that sheet.
Reply Quote
06/03/2013 03:41 PMPosted by Kupo
The point? Guides like these are bad.

umm no ... guides like this are extremely helpful for us tight wards who don’t use rmah/flipping etc to make gold and just play the game
did you search for buyout prices? If you’ve read Nameless’s previous guide or Piffle’s guide you will see that they advised to always try to bid if possible unless you find a good deal at 1d11h buyout
the trick is to be very patient and not go buyout happy

using his guides I was able to achieve my current monk’s stats as you can see on the below with the price breakdown of each piece.
yes the bracer and radiance are donation but you get the point
and yes I agree with you that not all of us are favored/bless by the RNG god as Nameless has but still his guide is very useful of a lot of monks, old and new
but of course everyone of us are entitled to our own voices and opinion = )

Monk – MP10 CotA capable, Nirvana Bell, 135K dps / 640K EHP
Vile ward – 4 mil
Chest – 20 mil
Neck – 1 mil
Gloves – 5 mil
Belt – 1 mil
Ring – 1 mil
Pants – 35 mil
Nat ring – 3 mil
Nat boots – 7 mil
SK – 15 mil
EF – 8 mil
100 mil total
Bracers & Radiance – donated
Reply Quote
I tend to get a little skeptical of "this is all you need" guides, so when I get bored, I do a little research:

Inna's Chest: 28 million, and that's even dropping dex and vit by 10, and those only had 10% life, not 12
The Witching Hour: I couldn't find any with 60/60/60 of any of the single resists, so the closest I found was 60 all res for 300 million. Dropping resists to 50 I found one for 20 million

The point? Guides like these are bad. And extra bad for monks, because you have to assume that people can find gear with their single resist. Doing this little fun test, I had to try every single resist to see what the prices are, and frequently did not find any gear with the necessary stats. But on top of that, you cannot say "you can gear for x amount" when in reality, you can't. And you can't assume that people can craft that gear. I've crafted hundreds of amulets, hundreds of bracers, and havent' found anything close to what you have on that sheet.

No one told you to read/use it. I find these extremely helpful. Do you also go to every help/guides that is out there in Google and complain about them if you don't like it? Some people just have too much time on their hand.
Reply Quote
@Kupo -- Thanks for feedback. TBH, you have every right to be skeptical of posts like these. One thing I need to point out though... my OP was never meant to be a guide, it was meant to be a post to show how I built a balanced monk on a limited budget.

I also realize that many of the deals that I scored aren't available on a regular basis. Some of the items purchased were done before the big gold duping scandal too, and so there has been some inflation in market prices. With that said, my items were acquired over time and with patience (as many of the items were purchased on the bid, not on buyout) and market prices tend to fluctuate over time. There are times that items are more/less in demand than others... hard to predict.

The idea here, is that people don't have to spend over 500M to build an MP10-capable toon. I've done it for well under 300M, including crafting and gems. I just hope that it can inspire hope in people working with limited budgets.
Reply Quote

Sir, I believe you are missing the forest for the trees.

OP's entire point is that if you are patient you can get gear for better prices than you normally can. So the fact that you couldn't find anything as cheap as he did just proves his point!
Reply Quote
@Nameless I would like to thank you for your guild and say that it has done me very well tearing up MP 7. I am trying to boost my gear up a bit so I can run mp8-10 but am still lacking somewhat in survivability. I would like your opinion on the Stone of Jordan ring vs Litany of the Undaunted and anything I could do to boost my gear up to where I could handle the higher mp levels.
Reply Quote
Inna's Rad: 25m.
Tal chest: 12m.
Bracers: 2951 gold :P
Witching Hour: 10m.
Inna's Temp: 18m.
Nat's Boots: 2m. (could easily be upgraded don't know why I haven't yet)
Nat's Reflect: 5m.
Unity: 45m.
Ef: 26m.
Wkl: 6m.
Gems: ~28m. (with high gem economy)
Total: 177m.

http://d3up.com/b/733746/facepalm

My crafting was very lucky, never really had to worry about shoulders since I got those very very early on. Amulet is good since no stats are necessarily a waste/bad but it could definitely be improved, and gloves were a good trifecta if only I was a poison monk, I would even have considered switching had it not been my crafts have opposing resist.

Probably only spent ~10-15m. on crafting still haven't got the bracers I want :(. Also I won the rad amy from a giveaway, thanks xoran :). Haven't spent any real money, just participated in a lot of stuff on twitch xd. And I found a zuni chest that should have been 3m. but sold for 68m. haha.
I could break 200k if I got a good skorn but I hate low aps. Ehp is not nearly as high but #yolo ;).

Constructive Criticism is allowed :D

I think my set is brag worthy personally so I wanted to post it.
Edited by SirNick#1744 on 6/9/2013 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Nameless,

Is there any way I can become MP10 capable (leveling & ubers) doing it the budget way with my current eq? I only have about 50 mil to spend... so would that be impossible? Also, what sort of build (skills) would work best with a limited budget in MP10? I can survive MP10 right now but I clear everything so slow due to low dps and it is extremely inefficient unless some public person can carry.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I added myself to d3up if it helps any: http://d3up.com/b/755006
Edited by Luooo#1181 on 6/13/2013 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]