Diablo® III

Common courtesy among Monks. - In game.

More and more of us are venturing out of our solo games and into multi player games in this patch.. it's fun as hell, some of you have groups of friends you run with, which is great.. others join Public games.. now this is where we need to get smart..

When you join a game and there's another Monk already in the game Check what skill set that Monk is using
Don't run the same mantra, or the same EP. DON'T run Cyclone strike if the other monk is already using. Use a different skill runes.. just excursive your common sense please!
All this should be pretty obvious stuff, and one would expect a 'no !@#$ Shirlock' response but I can't believe how often I've been in a group game where another Monk has come blazing in running the same mantra, cycloneing away my neatly cycloned mobs and spamming skills that are unnecessary..
right?

So, saying all of this.. what are some good skill combos for games with more than 1 Monk?
Reply Quote
That's right, sit around in town for a few to change your skills while everyone else struggles to kill the monsters you just gave bonus health and damage :D

Kinda kidding. Kinda not... If I enter a game with friends, yup, I change my skills as needed. In a pub game? Nope.
Reply Quote
^^ +1
Reply Quote
pompous !@#$%^s...

kinda kidding.. kinda not.

seriously though... how long does it take you to change your skills? if you know a thing or two about Monks and can figure out what works.. it should take you 20seconds max.. farting around in town? people do more off that during selling and emptying their stash.
Edited by Eidetic#2307 on 5/10/2013 6:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
can 2 different eps work? ie can one monk tag with essence burn and another with fwiw
Reply Quote
Never actually tried it, if so coo. If not, all the more reason to switch your skills up.

though the two main skills in question are the Mantras and Cyclone strike..
Reply Quote
if there's a monk in the public game, I switch my skills to the exact skills he's using.

I be trollin, they be hatin. :
Reply Quote
i use backlash at all times. enjoy your dodge bonus y'all!

and i use EP. i see no reason why 2 x can't be using this. there's enough monsters to go around!
Reply Quote
Cyclone strike never leaves my bar. Ever. I'll typically change my mantra if a monk already in-game is using my mantra of choice.

There are counter arguments to the "common courtesy" of ensuring you use different mantras, however. People often leave suddenly and without warning in pub games. I don't need a defensive mantra in any MP level, and if the Overawe/Transgression monks leave, I then have to give up my stacks to switch. Meh. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that the other monk(s) will stick with the team in a pub game. If they wander off, so does the benefit of their mantra.

People are fine tuning their builds and team synergy lot more than they used to. Because of this I think the penalty of lost stacks may be in need of an overhaul.
Reply Quote
In a pub game I am gonna run what I wanna run and could care less about what anyone else is running.

Most of the time when you join a pub game the other players are already somewhere in the act killing and looting an a lot of times its in separate directions so who knows where who is and what they are doing.

Tag a flag and warp to a body (live or dead doesnt matter)and smash on.

Now running with fellow monks from the forum we usually get together in town and pick mantras but thats about it. Never felt the need to tell someone else what to run or that they should tell me the same in reverse.

Overlapping mantras is one thing but telling someone how to run their character is another and if you chose to do so it shows no courtesy at all.

just my 2 cents
Reply Quote
Same, I dont change unless specifically asked or starting a fresh game with ppl I know. Random pubs - I can keep much higher overawe uptime than a 2h monk with submission (>_>) and can spam cyclone strikes at the same time.

Plus checking each monk's skillset could be easier :-D
Reply Quote
More and more of us are venturing out of our solo games and into multi player games in this patch.. it's fun as hell, some of you have groups of friends you run with, which is great.. others join Public games.. now this is where we need to get smart..

When you join a game and there's another Monk already in the game Check what skill set that Monk is using
Don't run the same mantra, or the same EP. DON'T run Cyclone strike if the other monk is already using. Use a different skill runes.. just excursive your common sense please!
All this should be pretty obvious stuff, and one would expect a 'no !@#$ Shirlock' response but I can't believe how often I've been in a group game where another Monk has come blazing in running the same mantra, cycloneing away my neatly cycloned mobs and spamming skills that are unnecessary..
right?

i agree with (almost) everything you said. but don't waste your breath. even in hardcore, where you'd think it be a no brainer to at least coordinate mantras to maximize survivability, i've been in inferno games where two other monks are running the exact same rune, which was also the rune i was currently using. i switched, but asking the other two to coordinate didn't even yield an answer.

So, saying all of this.. what are some good skill combos for games with more than 1 Monk?

with regards to your cyclone strike comment, all monks using cyclone strike is better than any monks using wol and 1+ monk using cyclone strike. i've wasted alot of spirit dropping a bell only for the target to be removed from the area by a cyclone strike. its really annoying. its better to use cyclone strike if the other monk(s) are using cyclone strike, or that you use wol if the other monks are not using cyclone strike, or something along those lines imo. in this situation you can just drag the enemies away from each other to deal your damage with consecutive cyclone strikes. wol might miss completely when used with cyclone strike monk in the party. curious though, why are you against two cyclone strikes in one party ?
Reply Quote
Cyclone strike never leaves my bar. Ever. I'll typically change my mantra if a monk already in-game is using my mantra of choice.

There are counter arguments to the "common courtesy" of ensuring you use different mantras, however. People often leave suddenly and without warning in pub games. I don't need a defensive mantra in any MP level, and if the Overawe/Transgression monks leave, I then have to give up my stacks to switch. Meh. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that the other monk(s) will stick with the team in a pub game. If they wander off, so does the benefit of their mantra.

People are fine tuning their builds and team synergy lot more than they used to. Because of this I think the penalty of lost stacks may be in need of an overhaul.

Have you ever run with another Monk using CS?.. just curious.

I've never played a pub game where a Monk has run off on their own.. i've played many where they've been dicks.. but not runing off..Wiz, Barb sure.. but not Monks. I can however sympathise with the a little with your counter argument. The question then is.. would you rather run the same Mantra and be 90% obsolete based on a 'what if' or change up be useful with a buff and if the monk leaves deal with it by losing stacks or being OK with the Mantra you grabs.. remember not every monk is running Overawe or Transgression.

I guess the thread title should be changed to.. 'Please consider some level of courtesy'

In a pub game I am gonna run what I wanna run and could care less about what anyone else is running.

Most of the time when you join a pub game the other players are already somewhere in the act killing and looting an a lot of times its in separate directions so who knows where who is and what they are doing.

Tag a flag and warp to a body (live or dead doesnt matter)and smash on.

Now running with fellow monks from the forum we usually get together in town and pick mantras but thats about it. Never felt the need to tell someone else what to run or that they should tell me the same in reverse.

Overlapping mantras is one thing but telling someone how to run their character is another and if you chose to do so it shows no courtesy at all.

just my 2 cents

You missed my point so I'll let you slide.. The common courtesy in question is up to you on your character, no your opinion or instructions towards another character and only if you've joined a game already in operation with a Monk in it.
Reply Quote
Depends.

Some players go into Pub games wanting to use a specific build. I do that a lot. If I'm not doing that, I will change my Mantra so its not the same, that's about it.
Reply Quote

right?

i agree with (almost) everything you said. but don't waste your breath. even in hardcore, where you'd think it be a no brainer to at least coordinate mantras to maximize survivability, i've been in inferno games where two other monks are running the exact same rune, which was also the rune i was currently using. i switched, but asking the other two to coordinate didn't even yield an answer.

with regards to your cyclone strike comment, all monks using cyclone strike is better than any monks using wol and 1+ monk using cyclone strike. i've wasted alot of spirit dropping a bell only for the target to be removed from the area by a cyclone strike. its really annoying. its better to use cyclone strike if the other monk(s) are using cyclone strike, or that you use wol if the other monks are not using cyclone strike, or something along those lines imo. in this situation you can just drag the enemies away from each other to deal your damage with consecutive cyclone strikes. wol might miss completely when used with cyclone strike monk in the party. curious though, why are you against two cyclone strikes in one party ?

Why against two cyclone strikes? I guess I don't enjoy the feeling of being inside a washing machine.. enemies getting tossed all over the place.. it becomes a school yard brawl type situation.. "this is my toy".. "no it's mine".. "no mine"... etc . It's pretty ridiculous, It's good if you're wanting to take out the WD or the DH in your game.. they often get sandwiched between the monsters and a KO.

I don't know, like you say at the start. I guess I am wasting my breath with this stuff..
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 07:23 PMPosted by Eidetic
"this is my toy".. "no it's mine".. "no mine"...
Reply Quote
If you see me in a pub game, just stay behind me and I'll kill everything. Unless you see CountFury in the game, then I'll pull mobs to him and PK him, hahahahahaha.
Reply Quote
haha wut.
Reply Quote
PK = Player Kill, not as much fun in SC, but I'm on a roll tonight, figured I'd catchup on posting.
Reply Quote
Why against two cyclone strikes? I guess I don't enjoy the feeling of being inside a washing machine.. enemies getting tossed all over the place.. it becomes a school yard brawl type situation.. "this is my toy".. "no it's mine".. "no mine"... etc . It's pretty ridiculous, It's good if you're wanting to take out the WD or the DH in your game.. they often get sandwiched between the monsters and a KO.

I don't know, like you say at the start. I guess I am wasting my breath with this stuff..

cyclone strikes can even take another monk out of the game if they'd prefer to try to be wol/spirit-spenderless. at least if you pick up cyclone strike with them you can contribute damage consistently.

don't try to coordinate with anyone in a public game unless they show a socialable attitude. instead just switch your skills to best accommodate their build. the end. like i said even in hardcore games where survivability is crucial, monks often lack a cooperative attitude, yet we're the only class with a decent number of group skills, go figure.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]