Diablo® III

Monk to Wizard to Monk

View profile
Hello Monks,

I began my D3 as a Monk but switched to wizard at some point. I'm close to paragon 100 for my wizard, so I was considering returning once I hit it, and I have lots of questions from someone who sort of used to know how monk worked.

Is the only build in town still Thunderclap/Sweeping Wind with a bunch of skills that buff the damage? Does sweeping wind still have the funky mechanic of locking in the damage at the time you cast it?

My favorite monk skills were always Cyclone Strike and 7-Sided Strike once it got a solid buff. Since I play with friends, I almost always dropped something to put in Cyclone because it was so handy, so I plan to do that again, so any builds/skills that use those two would be great (I also like the bell a decent amount.)

Is LOH still the main source of healing? At the end game, do you guys typically have a LS (or 2) weapon to either accompany it or replace it? I know at the very top of the item food chain, LS always hurts the dps by a decent margin, so I was curious if you just stacked dps and got enough from LOH on other things to avoid LS altogether.

Speaking of items, are the top monks using mostly legendaries? If you just want to link a couple huge dps monks, then I can take a look and look for a few trends. Off the top of my head, I would guess folks use mempo, witching hour, innas pants, rare gloves/amulets, nats two piece, maybe a SOJ. Am I far off base? I plan to dual wield unless there is a really compelling reason to use a skorn (I hate, hate, hate attacking slow.) I have no clue which weapons folks use - Echoing Fury I'd assume in one hand, the other...?

Is One with Everything still the go to passive? Is there an advantage in gearing by NOT using it? I have about 3 billion from my wizard, so I should be able to get at least decent end game gear, but I'm in no rush. I don't mind getting a few hundred million set while I work on getting end gear items. If so, is there any advantage to which resist I pick?

I know tempest rush got a big buff or something at one point, and I think that's the main leveling skill monks are using no? I was never a big fan but I suppose I could use it sometimes. Does that skill change anything with how you gear? Is it even as viable any more since 1.08? I think I read at some point it was a great trash cleaner, so people would run low level mp runs with it and get a lot of experience, but now that 1.08 gives such massive xp for high mp levels, I'd probably just rather do that.

Sorry for the massive list of questions, I did check the sticky at the top, but it sort of lacked the overview of the current state of monk that I was looking for.
Reply Quote
I think FoT + SW is the main solo build, but Tempest Rush is massive for XP and Item farming.

I hear that group games tend to use cyclone strike (especially MP10 with CM wiz?)

Typically, people do have LoH or LS, it just makes things a lot easier (Don't know about necessary though)

From what I've seen item wise, it's usually 2 piece Nats (Boots/Ring), Witching Hour, Crafted Gloves/Ammy, Vile Ward, and potentially Inna's Pants/Helm. Weapon wise, I see most dual wielders with a rare LS MH, and EF OH.

The point with OWE is that it allows for cheaper sets for resist. Instead of AR, you can aim for all FR, and just pick up OWE. This would save a ridiculous amount of money to get to 600 AR (I'm sure you know).

Like I said up top, TR is the top xp/low MP Farming build, simply because of the speed for movement.To run that, theres a guide on the sticky, but mostly its just about having enough Spirit Regen. I think people have been able to get upto 85m XP an hour through MP1/2 TR Farming, dunno if you can get more for MP10 farm or whatever.
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 05:40 PMPosted by GunnersDream
Is the only build in town still Thunderclap/Sweeping Wind with a bunch of skills that buff the damage? Does sweeping wind still have the funky mechanic of locking in the damage at the time you cast it?

since 1.0.7, it is generally accepted that many more builds have become viable. most of which include wave of light (usually with the empowered wave rune). in general though, the most used build is a variant of FoT/SW, with one of those buff skills swapped out for WoL. FoT rune is usually either TC or Quickening, SW rune is almost always cyclone. this is for non-farming oriented builds.

no, sweeping wind no longer 'snapshots'.

My favorite monk skills were always Cyclone Strike and 7-Sided Strike once it got a solid buff. Since I play with friends, I almost always dropped something to put in Cyclone because it was so handy, so I plan to do that again, so any builds/skills that use those two would be great (I also like the bell a decent amount.)

that is an unpopular set up. not to say it doesn't work, but due to its popularity you'd have trouble finding assistance with it.

Is LOH still the main source of healing? At the end game, do you guys typically have a LS (or 2) weapon to either accompany it or replace it? I know at the very top of the item food chain, LS always hurts the dps by a decent margin, so I was curious if you just stacked dps and got enough from LOH on other things to avoid LS altogether.

since SW doesn't have a proc coeff, and due to the recent spirit spender damage buffs, monks generally rely completely on LS for healing. furthermore, imo, Life per spirit spent has also become a very reliable source of healing as well if you spend spirit at a high enough rate. one empowered wave, with 2 sources of LPSS, generates 5k life.

Speaking of items, are the top monks using mostly legendaries? If you just want to link a couple huge dps monks, then I can take a look and look for a few trends. Off the top of my head, I would guess folks use mempo, witching hour, innas pants, rare gloves/amulets, nats two piece, maybe a SOJ. Am I far off base? I plan to dual wield unless there is a really compelling reason to use a skorn (I hate, hate, hate attacking slow.) I have no clue which weapons folks use - Echoing Fury I'd assume in one hand, the other...?

generally, most desirable is inna's chest/pants, nats boots/ring, craft neck/gloves and either craft shoulders or vile ward and either craft bracers or lacunis, witching hour, mempo, rare second ring, EF offhand w/ socket and either ls or chd, rare main hand w/ socket, ls (necessary if EF doesn't have ls) or chd. MH should be the hardest weapon damage range you can find if going WoL.

Is One with Everything still the go to passive? Is there an advantage in gearing by NOT using it? I have about 3 billion from my wizard, so I should be able to get at least decent end game gear, but I'm in no rush. I don't mind getting a few hundred million set while I work on getting end gear items. If so, is there any advantage to which resist I pick?

seize the initiative is more popular than OWE. obviously, gearing to not use OWE gives you an extra passive slot, which are more valuable now than pre 1.0.7. exalted soul, chant of resonance, and in select builds beacon of ytar can contribute alot to spirit spending builds. if you were to pick to use OWE however, physical resistance is the best to pick, but only for the situation where you might not have OWE in your build depending on situation. most damage taken is physical.

I know tempest rush got a big buff or something at one point, and I think that's the main leveling skill monks are using no? I was never a big fan but I suppose I could use it sometimes. Does that skill change anything with how you gear? Is it even as viable any more since 1.08? I think I read at some point it was a great trash cleaner, so people would run low level mp runs with it and get a lot of experience, but now that 1.08 gives such massive xp for high mp levels, I'd probably just rather do that.

you need a huge emphasis on spirit regen for TR. with TR you want to use a minimal amount of increased attack speed since aps is tied to spirit consumption rate. so you'd might want alternatives for nats ring, innas pants, lacunis, mempo, and where ever else you have ias. i swap the nats ring for an Stone of jordan, mempo for an inna's, my Dual wield for a skorn, and swap out whatever else with ias for something without. TR is still the best xp/time option in the solo game... i can't comment on multiplayer.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895 - TR guide by us monk's lord and master druin.
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks a bunch for the info!

One last thing, do monk's typically run the Inna's set for the SW reduction? Seems like the item's are mostly decent not great, except the pants.
Reply Quote
this thread's title is so dirty I had to clear my history.
Reply Quote
Thanks a bunch for the info!

One last thing, do monk's typically run the Inna's set for the SW reduction? Seems like the item's are mostly decent not great, except the pants.

if your using a TR build, yes. most monks will use a 4pc inna's. in TR its especially crucial you maintain a 3 stack of SW either for the Inner storm rune (3spirit/sec as long as at 3 stacks) or cyclone rune (requires 3 stack to spawn cyclones). these two runes make up the majority of SW runes in TR builds as its important to be able to recast SW to maintain stacks when your unable to make it to the next pack of monsters without recasting SW.

in other builds, either SW isn't as important or keeping SW up isn't a problem. eg. in ubers your just smacking away the entire time, theres no chance that stack will decay. and hence very little chance you'll need to recast SW. so in this case most monks don't run inna's 4pc, just 2pc (chest/pants).
Reply Quote
View profile
Ahh good to know.

I was checking your profile, INJEKT, and was wondering about your choice of weapons. I thought when dual wielding you wanted to have an offhand close to your main hand damage, but yours seem pretty different - is this because of the bell?

As an aside, how come no one seems to use fist weapons? I would think the high attack speed would be great - is the dps too low?
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 11:40 PMPosted by CountFury

I lol'd
Reply Quote
View profile
05/13/2013 08:13 AMPosted by baggins

I lol'd

Hey your build looks interesting, baggins. Do you just cycle thunderstrike and blazing fists to get a nice dps boost?
Reply Quote
not a pro ... just lvl4 paragon, and dirt poor, so gear is crap, but...

I'm Enjoying my build greatly. Seems to be good in groups or solo. I use ShS and SW.

my passives are all defensive cause I tend to spam WoL and ShS whenever i can-- though i shouldn't.

My advice is find a build that works for your playstyle and eff the cookiecutter!
gear will get your DPS up, but if you don't like playing it, it's dumb :P
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 09:11 AMPosted by GunnersDream

I lol'd

Hey your build looks interesting, baggins. Do you just cycle thunderstrike and blazing fists to get a nice dps boost?

yea on that monk when I spam overawe I refresh blazing fists every time than go back to thunderstrike don't forget combo strike and if you wanna be daring you could drop serenity for deadly reach
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]