Diablo® III

ias isnt such a bad thing

I have read from several people that ias on a wd creates false dps. I will admit that for most builds it is not at all necessary, however this is not the case with CoB and PoB builds. I realized this after being distraught by someone telling me that ias was useless.

To satisfy my urge to justify my spending habits, I created a simple experiment. First, while in town, I stripped all of my is and cast PoB until my mana ran out. Second, I put on all of my ias gear and drained my mana in the same way. Not much to my amazement, my mana drained at a substantially higher rate. Basically the increased ias cast PoB much faster.

Keep in mind that a wd with ias is not normally the best course of action. Using the wrong skills with ias is really just wasted gold where it should have been spent on CC and CD. Its also true that too much ias and not enough mana regen will leave you without mana when you need it the most.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Reply Quote
IAS does not increase the tick rate for Fire Bats (CoB/PoB) so having IAS for that build is a waste of mana.

IAS is also bad for Bears in much the same way, some are going to post that this is not true because Bears isn't considered a channeled skill but it works in a very similar way which is why u want low IAS for Bears.

IAS for 0 Dog is pretty much a necessity and works very well with the build but u want to balance it with cc and cd.

IAS for a Primary build (darts, toads, fire bomb, ect) is also a necessity for a efficient build but hardly anyone runs Primary builds anymore.

IAS for a Spirit Barrage build is good as well but u want to balance it with cc and cd, much like u would with 0 Dog. For example if i were to run a SB build all I would do is swap out my helm & mojo for a zuni, change my skull grasp to a sb soj, and maybe drop one piece of hgb piece and bam I'm set for an SB build.
Edited by heyguyslol#1302 on 5/15/2013 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i happen to think after playing that IAS on bats does actually help overall w/ ticks- feels like i see more but i havent done any hard tests - i just notice i dont die after a charge w/ more mobs around me than when i run w/ skorn.. maybe its my insaneness but it seems like it does improve CoB

def helps for WoS
Reply Quote
OP you are wrong.

IAS is crap and should be the last choice in your stat priority.

Your pox is a perfect example. Tal chest is next.

Drop IAS, get more EHP. Drop SA and get GF.
= Significantly stronger build.

For me you are just like a sharpshooter DH
Reply Quote
Ias does help with cob to charge up maximum damage done by skill faster.
And if you kill fast enough, you run with good team, adding ias for this build, may be the only way to increase your effective dps (assuming that you don't run oom before stuff dies, you dont have problem with mana cost to recasting the skill, because enemies are constantly frozen by cm wizard and pulled to you by cyclone monk).

There are players who are playing over 2 aps cob wds, and they don't have mana problems, because of their team synergy, and very high killing speed.
Reply Quote
And if if if and and if if and if if if and if if

THEN and if if if and and if and if and if not but if and if if if and if

no
Reply Quote
Ias does help with cob to charge up maximum damage done by skill faster.
And if you kill fast enough, you run with good team, adding ias for this build, may be the only way to increase your effective dps (assuming that you don't run oom before stuff dies, you dont have problem with mana cost to recasting the skill, because enemies are constantly frozen by cm wizard and pulled to you by cyclone monk).

There are players who are playing over 2 aps cob wds, and they don't have mana problems, because of their team synergy, and very high killing speed.

When I tested this on ptr there was no difference in speed in ticks per second with more ias. I live streamed it and then rewatched and timed it, so it does not help charge up maximum dmg faster.

Also if you read the tool tip it says "Call forth a swirl of bats that damage nearby enemies for 501% weapon damage as Fire. The damage of the bats increases by 20% every *second*, up to a maximum of 100%."

God its ridiculous how much bad information gets spread around the forums by ppl who only think and dont really know what they are talking about.
Edited by heyguyslol#1302 on 5/16/2013 1:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Also if you read the tool tip it says "Call forth a swirl of bats that damage nearby enemies for 501% weapon damage as Fire. The damage of the bats increases by 20% every *second*, up to a maximum of 100%."

You are wrong. Go in that corner there and think about it.
Reply Quote
05/16/2013 02:09 AMPosted by Matte

You are wrong. Go in that corner there and think about it.

lol read the tool tip again :P

This is a channeled skill not a casted attack like bears or dogs, so attack speed will not increase the dmg buff faster.
Edited by heyguyslol#1302 on 5/16/2013 2:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/16/2013 01:44 AMPosted by heyguyslol
God its ridiculous how much bad information gets spread around the forums by ppl who only think and dont really know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, I believe this statement applies to yourself.

As aerial mentioned, Ias does help with cob. You might want to read this carefully:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568960808?page=1
Reply Quote

As aerial mentioned, Ias does help with cob. You might want to read this carefully:

I read this awhile back when it was posted the problem is this is coming from a player not a hard confirmation blue post, so if u want to believe this info thats your choice but i know different based on testing ive done.

If you find a blue post that can confirm this info being true then I will gladly admit that I'm wrong.
Edited by heyguyslol#1302 on 5/16/2013 3:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote

what he said.

if you read nubtro's post, it clearly states and proves that IAS not only help you reach 1000% dmg faster, but you tick dmg faster.

Thus you can say that COB is directly correlated to your inventory dps in some sort of multiplicitave way after reaching 1000% dmg unlike 0-dogs which is more variable depending on your ias etc etc.

However, note that you will reach 1000% dmg about 1.3 seconds faster if you run 1.5aps vs 1.1 aps which is what people usually have with skorn.
You can safely say that if you attack an elite for 5 seconds with 1.5as vs 1.1as that you will be doing about 10-15% more dmg during that 5 seconds with 1.5as.

That is why i can still safely say that at the very end end game for the COB build at least, 1h+oh with high LS+mana regen> skorn for the extremely rich who can achieve good mit. Id say good mit is around 88%.

edit:
it would make more sense if you think of the dmg increasing based upon how many ticks have occured and not a timer. Its easier for the game to calculate dps increase that way vs a timer which I dont think even starts each time COB is casted.
however, for a plague bats build, the 2h is>> than 1h due to it being a DOT.
CoB scales with IAS nicely but the mana use doesnt, that is the truth.
Edited by Eugenius#1173 on 5/16/2013 3:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/16/2013 03:27 AMPosted by heyguyslol
I read this awhile back when it was posted the problem is this is coming from a player not a hard confirmation blue post, so if u want to believe this info thats your choice but i know different based on testing ive done.

Well, it's actually interesting that you found the opposite. Would you mind sharing your testing protocol ? I might give it a try.
Reply Quote
lol read the tool tip again :P

This is a channeled skill not a casted attack like bears or dogs, so attack speed will not increase the dmg buff faster.

Dont ever trust a tool tip. Dont want to talk about "advanced tool tip" option, whould lose my mouth. :>
Reply Quote
It's cool like I said believe what u want, not going to waste anymore time on this thread.
Reply Quote
05/16/2013 03:27 AMPosted by heyguyslol
coming from a player not a hard confirmation blue post,

WTH, did over read this.

There was never ever any blue post on any game mechanic.

This is so awkward, srsly

A blue post, made my day :D
Reply Quote
Blues post info about game mechanics here:

http://www.diablofans.com/

on occasion if a question gets brought up enough.

A while back i actually wrote in my 0 Dog Guide some false information about armor vs. all resist based on false player info that i read very similar to like the info you guys are reading from the link above about CoB, and not a blue post info. Another player later was nice enough to let me know I was wrong and pointed me to the blue post confirming the mechanics behind armor vs. all resist.

Another example where a blue post answered about game mechanics was about SOJ's whether they worked on Uber bosses and players or not. Which they did confirm that Yes they do.

A blue post about game mechanics will rarely ever be posted here on the D3 forums, it has happened but its very rare.

Perhaps you should bookmark that site and read it sometime, there's a lot of good blue post info there about D3 :P
Edited by heyguyslol#1302 on 5/16/2013 4:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
it makes sense of the 15 armor to 1 all resist thing for WD/wizards only....
if you understood math at all to a degree,
its a 1armor:10 resist when you have very equal amounts of both for ex, 7k armor and 700 ar,
which is what barbs usually have and the 10:1 statement was orignally made from used to be old barbarian streamer kripparian.

when you have 3000 armor and 700ar which is where most WD/wizards are, each value of armor adds more reduction %wise and that is why armor is about 15:1 ratio.

you can rest assured that COB scales with ias dpswise very nicely whereas plaguee bats only reaches max dmg faster but since its a DOT its pretty bad for 1h.
Reply Quote
its a 1armor:10 resist when you have very equal amounts of both for ex, 7k armor and 700 ar,
which is what barbs usually have and the 10:1 statement was orignally made from used to be old barbarian streamer kripparian.

when you have 3000 armor and 700ar which is where most WD/wizards are, each value of armor adds more reduction %wise and that is why armor is about 15:1 ratio.

you can rest assured that COB scales with ias dpswise very nicely whereas plaguee bats only reaches max dmg faster but since its a DOT its pretty bad for 1h.

I suggest u check out the following site for proper armor vs. all resist ratio

d3up.com
Reply Quote

I suggest u check out the following site for proper armor vs. all resist ratio

d3up.com

I did, for my wd it said that I would get
400 EHP/10armor and 268ehp/for 1 ar.
which is about 15armor:1 ar

and like i said earlier, if you had equal amounts of AR and armor, they would be about equal in gain.

I checked my barb with 5900armor and 500ar and wahla,
600ehp/10armor and 678ehp/1 AR....

its as i said...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]