Diablo® III

Rubber banding STILL very present.

(Locked)

05/20/2013 07:29 PMPosted by Torus
For the 1,000,000th time - make a separate offline mode with no Auction House.

Oh but they have!

It will be out for PS3 in time for Christmas!

Aren't you excited?

I can't wait to save $60 this Christmas!!!1111
Yeah rubberbanding is there, but whatever.
Make the game good already, so I have purpose to play. :) Thanks
off fking line mode
- Technical Support
View profile
My biggest problem since this newest patch is the HUGE initial lag spike that occurs whenever I join a new public game. After the loading screen freezes for like 15 seconds, I join the game, then when I port to another user it freezes up again, I die (every time almost) and then all the sudden ping goes to like 3000 ms. Slowly it rebounds and then the rest of the game is fine usually.

I am on 30/5 MBit cable, and have done ping and speed tests, and it's not my computer either -
Since 1.0.8, (not even 1.0.8a), the connection lag is so bad that I cannot play in any real capacity. I've tried to endure through it, but where I would normally survive a mob, I'd die several times to clear it.

Before the patch, everything was just fine. Immediately after the patch, it went sour. I'm most certain it is not on my end:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2721301055.png

I don't know what a video will show you other than what I can tell you here. I'd suspect you switched to another server (or set of servers) to do the live roll-over and those are having problems.

Since I have no offline mode, you have essentially sold me a $100 game that you broke and do not have a fix for. If this continues for too long, I will ask for a refund and just move on to other games.

In the end, trading the AH for always online game play was definitely not worth it. I would rather play alone all the time than constantly have time when I can't play for reasons out of my control. It's like if I bought a car, but because I want to have passengers in my car, the manufacturer has control over when I can drive the car or not.
I've died more times since the 1.0.8 patch due to rubberbanding than I have in the previous 6 months due to everything combined. And every now and then I'll get a situation where everything I hit says "Dodged" -it's like the mobs somehow suddenly got 100% dodge chance, and then I'm dead. It's very, very strange, and I've had it happen 3-4 times in the last several days.

And it's not my internet-I've been playing on the same internet connection for a year, and previous to the 1.0.8 patch, I'd have a rubberbanding issue maybe once or twice a month. Now it's 3-4 times a run, easily. Not only that, I've been helping my daughter level one of her characters. We're in the same room, on the same internet connection, and I (ww barb, no perma-wrath) will get rubberbanding and she (wd) will not. So no, it isn't my internet connection.
Edited by cTsCorvette#1200 on 5/20/2013 9:03 PM PDT
This problem will be a tough one to fix, since it's been plaguing these kind of games for a long time. Diablo 2 suffers from it aswell, a bit, and also similar games like PoE. All of them have in common the online part. Games like TL2, which you can play offline, or directly connecting peer to peer with each player, don't suffer this issue, or at least I've yet to notice.

But I'm sure this last patch made it a bit worse, so there's still room for improvement, I hope.
Edited by Sholva#2902 on 5/20/2013 9:32 PM PDT
My only problem with rubberbanding is that Blizzard has claimed multiple time to have "fixed" it only for it to pop up again. If you fix one cause, but others still exist, then say so. It is very misleading the way these "fixes" have been worded in patch notes. They lead me to believe that I will not see this issue anymore which is just not true and it makes me feel as if Blizzard is lying to me. This is not a good feeling and it makes me want to play Blizzard games even less than when I experience bugs.
Dear Blizzard,

Your users are not your QA team. Rubber-banding has been a problem since the game was released, and it's your responsibility to determine the root cause and then fix it. Stop asking players to send in videos and submit bug reports, you have people on your payroll that are supposed to be doing that. Players don't want to pitch in, we want a resolution.

That is all.

Amen. You guys dont need more videos ... Blizzard should absolutely already know exactly what we're talking about when we say ' lag' and 'rubberbanding'. You guys even know what skills are affected the most as you just listed them. For those that think we need to shut up and just play? This time we're speaking out because they said in the previous patch note that rubberbanding was fixed ... they used the word 'fixed' first.
Edited by Moon#1856 on 5/20/2013 10:50 PM PDT
05/20/2013 09:52 PMPosted by Hiatose
My only problem with rubberbanding is that Blizzard has claimed multiple time to have "fixed" it only for it to pop up again. If you fix one cause, but others still exist, then say so. It is very misleading the way these "fixes" have been worded in patch notes. They lead me to believe that I will not see this issue anymore which is just not true and it makes me feel as if Blizzard is lying to me. This is not a good feeling and it makes me want to play Blizzard games even less than when I experience bugs.

If read 1.08a patch note, they were very careful to say made improvements rather than fix.

In any case, the problem has gotten worse. Before I can tell when it's about to happen so I can stop WW. But now WW seems to be doing damage and suddenly i'm a few yards back and die to an elite.
The patch did actually reduce rubber-banding for me. It still occurs, but not as bad.

Is it really that bad for people that it makes a significant impact?

For me it is literally a split second rubber band of say "5 feet" in Diablo 3 context.
The patch did actually reduce rubber-banding for me. It still occurs, but not as bad.

Is it really that bad for people that it makes a significant impact?

For me it is literally a split second rubber band of say "5 feet" in Diablo 3 context.

What class do you play and what skills do you use, I as a WW Barb have the exact opposite, the patch 1.08a made it much much worse. It rarely happened before 1.08a, now it happens all the time, and by that I mean twice every minute.
The problem is Blizzard you've developed a poorly optimized game which has a persistent connection to the internet. The code used to handle player positioning and how you wrap the packet and send that data to and from the client to the server is horrifically optimized.

Lastly, one has to wonder also if part of the issue doesn't lay in the fact that Blizzard does not host all the servers for this title.

Enter into a game, alt out of the game and then open a command prompt, at the command prompt type netstat -a (this will list all the current connections which are open on your PC), now you're going to be looking for a connection which starts with a 12.xxx.xxx.xxx:1119 there are 2 of these IPs, the second IP is the one you're looking for - this is the server which you are connected to, now using Google or any other services you can reverse DNS lookup the IP and also find the physical location of the IP.

Of all the mistakes which have been made and finally admitted to by Jay Wilson, the player base will most likely say forcing players into a persistent connection to play has been the root cause of many, many problems.

What Blizzard needs to do is give players TWO play options - online and offline.

+1 for offline.
please do something with the 5-10 frame per second performance drops, at least a working noragdoll, lowfx... 1 year and they still didn-t work well I think

I cant beleive somebody has more than 15 frame when a cm wizz, or monk with cones fighting
The problem is Blizzard you've developed a poorly optimized game which has a persistent connection to the internet. The code used to handle player positioning and how you wrap the packet and send that data to and from the client to the server is horrifically optimized.

Lastly, one has to wonder also if part of the issue doesn't lay in the fact that Blizzard does not host all the servers for this title.

Enter into a game, alt out of the game and then open a command prompt, at the command prompt type netstat -a (this will list all the current connections which are open on your PC), now you're going to be looking for a connection which starts with a 12.xxx.xxx.xxx:1119 there are 2 of these IPs, the second IP is the one you're looking for - this is the server which you are connected to, now using Google or any other services you can reverse DNS lookup the IP and also find the physical location of the IP.

Of all the mistakes which have been made and finally admitted to by Jay Wilson, the player base will most likely say forcing players into a persistent connection to play has been the root cause of many, many problems.

What Blizzard needs to do is give players TWO play options - online and offline.

That it is, D3 PC isnt optimized for Onlineplay only, Offline(and PvP and other things) was canceled to release earlier than the Game was.
That´s all. With some guys are lucky and with the two 1.08 Patches their problems are gone, but many many others Players now sit in the trap.
I hope they will release the Offlinemode for us with the first Addon, if not good morning, good day and good night D3.
I'm one of the players that did notice a slight improvement. I play Hardcore mode with a P93 Whirlwind barb on an Aussie internet (200+ ping). I've noticed more rubberbanding occurs if more things are happening on my screen i.e Pulling half a map of mobs or if i'm spamming commands such as Left click Bash while trying to use Rightclick Whirlwind. The issue seems non existant if i'm not spamming my skills / left click or pulling half the map.

Instead of complaining about the issue constantly please try to identify what could be causing it on your side.
I've died more times since the 1.0.8 patch due to rubberbanding than I have in the previous 6 months due to everything combined. And every now and then I'll get a situation where everything I hit says "Dodged" -it's like the mobs somehow suddenly got 100% dodge chance, and then I'm dead. It's very, very strange, and I've had it happen 3-4 times in the last several days.

And it's not my internet-I've been playing on the same internet connection for a year, and previous to the 1.0.8 patch, I'd have a rubberbanding issue maybe once or twice a month. Now it's 3-4 times a run, easily. Not only that, I've been helping my daughter level one of her characters. We're in the same room, on the same internet connection, and I (ww barb, no perma-wrath) will get rubberbanding and she (wd) will not. So no, it isn't my internet connection.

yea this one is a problem. Are monsters men't to have a chance to dodge. If so then there proc rate needs looking at.
I just wanted to give my two cents here and say that the same exact thing is happening to me... It's definitely occurring more after the patch.

Also, it seems to occur more when I'm in the midst of huge clumps of mobs. This could be why it's happening more after the patch... simply because there are more chances for it to happen.

PS

Not my internet connection. I'm getting 40 down and 32 up with 6ms ping.

Not my Computer: i7-3770k GTX 660 TI 16GB Ram - everything is up-to-date
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]