Diablo® III

Auction Houses Up and Running

(Sticky)

I've been disconnected from the game about 10 times in the last hour. That's pretty excessive. Is anyone else having this issue? As soon as I join or create a room, about 5 mins into it I am disconnected from server or logged out of my game. FRUSTRATED!
Reply Quote
View profile
awesome stuff. makes me happy to hear that you would donate the proceeds to such an awesome foundation. kudos to you.
Reply Quote
Posted by John Hight
We'll also be donating all proceeds from auctions conducted by the suspended or banned players—including all of THEIR sale proceeds that we intercepted as well as our transaction fee—to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Rofl! Nice... So much for all those conspiracy theorists that accused you of not rolling back so you could keep the RMAH fees. Thank you for including this part in your post so as to shut them up.

Notice how he emphasized THEIR sale proceeds? Blizzard still got to keep all of their AH cuts and those of many players that used it "legitimately".. They kept the RMAH fees from those guys as well, they just didn't keep what wasn't going to go to them anyway (the actual sales). They only further proved it. L2read.

@Alcheya...Did you really just tell someone to learn to read when you didn't even read it properly? The post clearly says "We'll also be donating all proceeds...including all of THEIR sale proceeds." It says they are donating all proceeds, in this context the word all implies the proceeds that Blizzard would have made are included in this donation. Unless you don't know what the word "all" means, you should consider erasing your post because you look rather foolish.
Edited by JLo#1942 on 5/11/2013 5:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 09:40 PMPosted by John Hight
We'll also be donating all proceeds from auctions conducted by the suspended or banned players

Why didn't you give the money back to the legitimate players where that money came from?
Reply Quote
Thanks Bliz!! There was so much commotion about this that I was concerned it would be a huge blunder on Blizzards part (and for the last few days it looked to be as such). After reading this article though it's clear Blizzard tackled the problem admirably -- and shoot go Children's Miracle Network haha!

Nice work guys

Haha ! People still have their billions and make hundred of dollars selling their stuff for real money...
Have a look at d2jsp..
Reply Quote
I've been playing this game since day one, and in that time I've never made a negative post about D3, but this seriously just sucks.

In what realm of faulty logic did you determine that rolling back a few hours of legitimate players' playtime was less punishment than permanently messing up the economy and devaluing the gold that they've worked much more than a few hours to achieve?

I had 126 million, not a ton, but it took many hours to save that up, and I was hoping to get an upgrade soon. Now I'll have to compete with people on the AH who sold bad items for 2 billion, who sold gems worth 26 million for 100 million or more.

In my opinion, this was a very poor and very demoralizing decision on management's behalf.
Reply Quote
Thank you Mr. Hight for your candor and time. It seems that you and all others who were, and prolly still are, involved, accomplished a huge undertaking with much prudence and fairness. I have a 'warm, fuzzy feeling' again as far as my confidence in Blizzard. The Diablo game series deserves no less.
Reply Quote
Thank you!

I was skeptical that Blizzard would announce the exact number of exploiters, but knew that would be the only way for them to keep their integrity. When something like this happens, the exploiters have to be outed publicly, even if it is just saying how many.

Good job Blizzard, lots of hard work you weren't expecting but you stepped up to the plate.
Reply Quote

Hundreds of billions doesn't saturate the market!!! Even if 6 trillion gold was left in the economy.....and it was spread out amongst the American players..That's maybe an extra 100 million per player....

...and this is okay... why?

It's not, but it happened and the market was so messed up already it isn't going to barely effect it....People buy Trillions off the black market daily....If they recouped 85% I'd be amazed, but really if they only recouped 70% it wouldn't effect much!!!
Reply Quote
Posted by John Hight
We'll also be donating all proceeds from auctions conducted by the suspended or banned players—including all of THEIR sale proceeds that we intercepted as well as our transaction fee—to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Rofl! Nice... So much for all those conspiracy theorists that accused you of not rolling back so you could keep the RMAH fees. Thank you for including this part in your post so as to shut them up.

Notice how he emphasized THEIR sale proceeds? Blizzard still got to keep all of their AH cuts and those of many players that used it "legitimately".. They kept the RMAH fees from those guys as well, they just didn't keep what wasn't going to go to them anyway (the actual sales). They only further proved it. L2read.

@Alcheya...Did you really just tell someone to learn to read when you didn't even read it properly? The post clearly says "We'll also be donating all proceeds...including all of THEIR sale proceeds." It says they are donating all proceeds, in this context the word all implies the proceeds that Blizzard would have made are included in this donation. Unless you don't know what the word "all" means, you should consider erasing your post because you look rather foolish.

You're right, I made a small mistake, I didn't notice the first part, but regardless, the point stands. They made their money whether it was coming or going. Legit people spent thousands (more than likely tens of thousands) on gems LEGITIMATELY and 15% went to blizz.

If I look foolish, it's because I feel foolish. I feel like the ultimate dumbass that didn't take advantage of a situation that was obviously not right. I feel like a complete idiot for having faith in Blizzard in that they would correct an error. And more than anything, I feel so incredibly stupid for ever coming back to another Blizzard game, where the innocent and fair are crucified as the cheaters and "legitimate" exploiters prevail.
Reply Quote
Kudos to Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Mr. Hight, the way to fix the auction house is to make drops "worth picking up again" and "game changers". As long as the average player never gets a good drop and has to depend on the auction house, then the auction house will rule the game. If good items were available in drops then the outlandish pricing and flippers that inflate prices would not ruin the game for the average player. The game needs to start developing and progressing. New items should be available as drops monthly and new areas and characters would also help. As new and stronger items become available then what would happen is what is great today would be just average in 6 months. People would always then be on the lookout for the new and improved items to keep up and the new areas would provide the challenge needed to keep the game interesting instead of the boring romp it is now. This is supposed to be a role playing game and not a wall street flipping auction house game. Diablo has always been about drops and the excitement of something new and more powerful. Let's get this game back where it belongs.
Reply Quote
Simple Question: What happens to the people that sold items because dupers went shopping spree?

Let's just say if someone put up an item "before" the duping went down and was bought during the exploitation times. Is that considered to be legit sale?

Step 1: Non exploiter put up an item for 500M (Before 1.0.8)
Step 2: Item on AH while server goes on maintenance
Step 3: 1.0.8 went live
Step 4: The duping happened
Step 5: People/Exploiters have billions on hand
Step 6: Exploiters went on shopping spree and randomly buy items on AH
Step 7: The item on step 1 got bought
Step 8: Seller get the gold

Note: Since the refunded/duped gold from RM is mixed original gold and refunded gold. How can you determine if the gold on step 8 is considered illegally acquired.

I have a feeling that the small (less than a billion) transactions were ignored during the "Audit". I just hope not because those 900M sales because of duped golds are also important in my opinion.

A blue reply (official) would be appreciated.

You don't need a blue reply. Anyone that sold their items on the AH and didn't dupe (in some cases, those that did) are billionaires. Nothing is going to happen to them. They're already buying gems and cashing out on the RMAH. Their payments are processing. Everyone who bought or sold "legitimately" is fine.

Holy sheez!! that is so awesome!! To be honest I'm a bit jelly because I didn't made billions out of the bug. By the time I saw Inigo's Twobeeeeez shopping spree AH was locked down.

I'm so unlucky on D3. Trash loots + bad timing when a "Dead Givaaway" is going on.

Anyway, congrats on the players that made millions/billions on duped day.

Lesson learned: Always stay tuned when a patch is about to go live.
Reply Quote

The vast majority of players did not participate in the exploit and we didn't like the idea of punishing them for the bad behavior of a few people. A rollback would mean bringing the servers down for a lengthy period and a loss of all progression since 1.0.8 was released. Many players made significant accomplishments in the game that required time and dedication, and we felt it was worth the work involved to try to preserve these efforts and go after the exploiters instead.

With this in mind, we elected not to roll back the servers in The Americas and are instead working to remove duplicated gold from the economy through targeted audits and account actions (as indicated above) without taking away progress that our players rightfully earned.

I appreciate you trying to smooth things over...but everyone who's been gaming for any significant amount of time knows that several hrs of game play IS NOT a significant accomplishment/effort/time...This is the reason why there is so much DISTRUST between the players who didn't cheat and YOUR company...you didn't REMOVE 100% of all duped gold/items...you had the chance to do it and you didn't.
Reply Quote
Quite a few people seem to be making assumptions about the severity of the economic damage that's occurred due to this. It's all baseless speculation at this point. Prices on the auction house are somewhat inflated from 1.07 values as of now, however that's as much a function of the relatively short amount of time the auction houses have been back online - 10 hours worth of AH postings rather than the standard 36. Fewer items to choose from means less competition and thus the market can sustain higher prices. Over the next 24-48 hours, market saturation will return to typical levels, and prices will drop.

Also keep in mind that the prices of items seen on the auction house are the prices for the items that aren't selling.

The market will correct itself. To a point, at least. Will prices fall all the way back to 1.07 levels? Perhaps they will, perhaps they won't. Let me ask this - would a net effect of 15% inflation constitute a game-breaking change? What about 25%? I dare say it would not.

I can understand all of the panic, the finger pointing, and the fear mongering. After all, we're shown that this is perfectly normal and acceptable behavior by Fox News every day. The truth of the matter is that people would be better served by settling down and waiting for all of the dust to settle. That's my two cents anyways.
Reply Quote
and not a single apology is given..
Reply Quote
View profile
A full rollback of the servers should have been the best way to resolve the issue.

TRILLIONS (with a T) of gold was duplicated. Even with 85% of the gold removed from the economy, that still leaves an excess of hundreds of (B)illions of gold saturating the market.

Yeah, people losing their progress sucks. But a couple hours of lost progress is better than having an economy (or lack there of) that has rendered gold irrelevant.

It's also sad if someone got an item bought-out they were selling for "2 beez" and keep their gold. Or users that kept their gold for selling Radiant Star gems for an outstanding price. This GREATLY hurts the legitimate players of the game who didn't take advantage of the exploit by having items listed in the auction house. Now, those players who did, are worth exponentially more than the legitimate players who have more hours logged onto the game. Where's the integrity in that?

Even though I would initially agree that a rollback would be needed. After much thought on the subject I realized that outside of the time involved in a full rollback that it really would not be needed. I have concerns about a full rollback.

1. If a full rollback is done. Then there are a lot of players that used the RMAH to buy their gear. With a full rollback their gear is absolutely worthless. What would the players as a whole do if they know that their gear that they paid real money for is worthless. You cannot sell it because it is BoA.
2. Even though Blizz cleared the AHs buying waiting till all posts on the AHs expired. But the BoA could've done the same. But it would've done more. It would've meant that the gear and items in the stash would be worthless. Again like number one some players paid real money for that gear and items. A real nightmare would be born.
3. How long would a full rollback take? How long would the servers be down for that time to do a rollback.

Also I later realized that since the gold duped was not truly fake gold. Like counterfeit money is to real money. That duped gold was not dupe by a third party program. The bug did not dupe the gold in such a way that would cause your game to crash if you carried that duped gold on your account. That would be the only reason why they would have to go after that particular gold if it was like that. So since the gold duped by the bug was not like that at all.

That told me that the only thing that is needed is to remove the exact amount of gold created by that dupe. It does not matter how it is done. All that matters is that it gets done.

That is why the full rollback is not needed after all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]