Diablo® III

Screwed by BOA feature

(Locked)

oh i get that but blizzard is just a PR machine at this point anyways. they spent FAR too long giving a not-really-apology on the whole thing, just like they not-really-admit-they're-wrong on everything else. so i tend to not believe much they say, especially when this newest "what happened"

and they've deleted a number of my posts before now, none of which were any worse than what i posted here, so i'm not exactly in their court anymore. especially not after waiting a handful of months for a patch and the best thing that comes out of it is me being a lot poorer than i was 2 months ago when i last played. not exactly encouraged to log in.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.
I'm not sure if it's a foregone conclusion yet that there will be hyper inflation as a result of all this, but since I was pretty much poor before this it's kind of a mute point for me.
05/11/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Xenon
I'm sure if we saw your transaction logs it'll show loads of gems bought off the RMAH and then sold on the GAH

Yea sure I just logged in AH checking gem price and saw super high emerald price.. I bought about 50 rad on rmah then sold on Gah. Is there something illegal or abusive in this? My intention wasnt bad at all

So you made 4-5bil off RS gems and are mad? You probably made more in gold from this than what your gear was worth. In addition, you probably got the best effective gold exchange rate in the end.

What they did in your case is consistent with what else I heard with others that used RMAH gems to make lots of gold. The alternative solution in this case was to refund your real money and undo all the associated transactions. They cannot do this because you sold a gem to someone who may have purchased it "legitimately" (others were making real money by buying gems on AH and selling them on RMAH using their own funds).
05/11/2013 10:51 AMPosted by Xenon
Got rolled back since I sold radiant star gems at GAH when I saw high prices... Now all my gear is BOA. I have very high end gear on my char. What am I suppose to do with it now??

Umm play the game ?
05/13/2013 11:54 AMPosted by AxeLord
Got rolled back since I sold radiant star gems at GAH when I saw high prices... Now all my gear is BOA. I have very high end gear on my char. What am I suppose to do with it now??

Umm play the game ?

lol go figure.

guy purchased 50 gems and then immediately re-listed them for a huge profit and people question if he was against the ToS part that says you can not use the AH as an investment vehicle.
I agree with pretty much everything you said.
I'm not sure if it's a foregone conclusion yet that there will be hyper inflation as a result of all this, but since I was pretty much poor before this it's kind of a mute point for me.

i think that's why i'm so irritated. i shouldn't be shocked that blizzard set up this scenario from the beginning and they're blaming the players when it doesn't work as intended, but i am.

now here i am with very little incentive to play and plenty of new reasons not to. why should i trust the market to be secure? why invest so much more effort when it's this easy to throw a wrench in everything? truth be told, if they nailed down as much as they say they did, plenty of gold left the economy as well, but we don't really know either way do we? and that's the problem... market uncertainty. nothing bliz has done has convinced me this was really and actually dealt with, and i'm tired of playing it nice and working hard while others cheat and prosper.

it just sticks in my craw when people are saying "punish the greedy" when blizzard's underlying message is "the greedy prosper". hell, it's their entire business model.
05/13/2013 03:09 AMPosted by jling28
I do not think as many players as you think were totally ignorant of what was going on. There was players being told in chat about what was going on. So they got caught exploiting a bug and paid the price. They should learn a lesson from this.

Not everyone is in the chat channels when playing Diablo 3. For example I type in /leave a few times to leave the chat channels. Why? So I don't have to be interrupted by excessive dribble from complete strangers while farming and sorting through my loot as it can get distracting. Also if they knew the bug why weren't they the ones doing the dupe and selling on the RMAH? People see the price of gems rising on the Gold AH, they see it selling for cheap on the RMAH who wouldn't want to flip gems if they had the means? Should they be punished for this? Of course NOT! >.>

So then you never question anything in life, huh. There would be complete trust in everything that comes your way. You would never think that it could be possible that something could be too good to be true in a video game. If the above it true I would then wonder how many times you have been scammed in real life. I would then wonder if you ever got scammed into clicking on a link in a phishing scam to get account information. Do not get me wrong here I am only saying that would cause me to wonder not actually believe it to be true.

You did notice I did not say everyone. Using the phrase not everyone is in chat channels. Using this is a strawman. Using this strawman to say that everyone buying and selling gems just didn't. Thus making it okay for them to do that huh. Sorry but that strawman does not work with me. I say that the majority buying and selling gems knew what was going on before the rest of us did.

Making an entire account BOA is a very unsophisticated way of fixing this sort of issue. I hope justice is served and only the profits of the gems are removed so that the gear is restored as normal.

Losing a year's worth of gearing is devastating to any player.

That is why the alarm bells should've been ringing loud and clear. Players should've expected something was wrong. The BoA is part of the rollback feature and there to prevent duping. So those individuals took a chance on making easy gold and got burned.

05/13/2013 10:24 AMPosted by BobGoatse22
I'll be truthful here - you had to know something was fishy when gem prices went to 5x their normal prices instantly. There's just no real way around that sadly.

I have to disagree on this. When it was announced marquis gems were being introduced and that rubies +dmg were getting modified to be competitive with emerald's +CD, prices skyrocketed. And a trend we have seen overall is that commodity prices tend to spike regardless before a major patch goes live. I myself have made hundreds of millions from this pattern, and only out of sheer luck did I miss out on the 1.08 AH crash due to being at work when it all went down. Had it happened while I was at home, I'd be one of those who had all their gear BOA'd as I had loaded up on gems due to the rumor going around that 1.08 was going live after that maintenance announcement.

And as expected, once the AH issues were fixed, gem prices are still higher. RS are stabilizing at 3-5m higher from previous. I still made gold (legit) by taking advantage of the still higher prices when AH was restored, but no where near the billions others had made before rollback. But to make this broad condemnation is unjustified.

So then it makes sense for all prices to spike to 10xs their current value after each new patch. Come one everyone cannot be that dense. There gut feeling should've put up a red flag. In fact I have seen others here on the forums that have said that they knew something was up and did not get involved. Even though they did not know exactly what it was.

this thread has some of the stupidest "logic" in it i've read on these forums in some time. and that's saying something.

look. d3 in its entirety has been dumbed down in every possible way. to make way for more "casual" players.

what you morons are talking about is punishing someone for not being "bright enough" to figure out there might be something more than a market trend going on. or thinking everyone should innately figure it out somehow. as if the logical explanation for gem prices going way up is "well OBVIOUSLY there's a multi-billion gold dupe introduced and lots of people are in on it, and this is their way of laundering the gold! eureka!"

the instant bliz punishes people for not being bright enough to figure out when they, blizzard, dropped the ball in every conceivable way is the instant blizzard expects more from people's ability to manage the AH than they do their own characters.

So then are you saying that all those that bought and sold gems are utter morons. That have an IQ of the lowest retarded person in the world. Someone that is so gullible they believe everything that they are told or see. They would never have any red flags popping up at all.
is this you? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Xenon-2113/
Most unprofessional post I've ever seen by an MVP. Clearly the correct decision here was to rollback. Huge mistake... but I play hardcore so I don't really care.
So then are you saying that all those that bought and sold gems are utter morons. That have an IQ of the lowest retarded person in the world. Someone that is so gullible they believe everything that they are told or see. They would never have any red flags popping up at all.

i don't think you get how logic works. i'm saying that you don't get to punish people just because you think they're stupid. especially not when you cater to stupid with every in-game choice like dumbing down stats, gear, etc. my point is that intelligence shouldn't be a factor in determining guilt here, and it's just one possibility. simple impulse-driven greed is another possible reason people honestly thought this was a market trend, and that shouldn't be punishable either since it's regularly rewarded by the AH.

but instead of talking to economics noobs who don't understand buying and selling manias that strike (lol stock market crashes), i'd rather agree with Soh who points out that this was an utterly disgusting set of posts from someone who posts in green for some reason. i don't get the whole MVP nonsense, but it only managed to highlight how absurd his position was. even bliz wouldn't (openly) support such drivel.
Edited by Cronk#1503 on 5/13/2013 1:14 PM PDT
85 Goblin Warlock
An increase in gem price the day a new patch comes out, player thinks, "Maybe I overlooked something in the patch notes because I doubt Blizzard would accidentally miss a huge gold exploit... Sell"
HAHAHA!! I'm so glad they banned so many people - you got what you deserve, cheater. Cheaters never win and winners never cheat. You can't cheat people en masse like you did in your 20th century games like D2, and the tears that generates fill me with happiness.
Also, you weren't screwed by the game mechanics, you were cheating and got caught. You should change your thread title to "Cheater Busted" instead of rewriting the facts of what happened to make it sound as though everyone in the world is picking on poor wittle baby you.
Support Forum Agent
Hi all, I just wanted to jump in the thread here and let you know that we're still in the process of reviewing some aspects of the RMAH issues for accounts that were affected by the audit. If you have any specific questions or concerns about where we're at with an auction on your account, or why a specific course of action was taken, please feel free to message us. Please keep in mind that due to the high volume of inquiries surrounding this issue, we may not be able to immediately respond. During the normal phone hours for our various support regions, we do offer live web chat which you can use to chat with us directly.

Thank you for your patience and for your understanding :)

Regards,
Araxom
Blizzard Customer Support
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]