Diablo® III

Patch 1.0.9 ETA

Blizzard Employee
Hi, am just wondering if we have an ETA on the 1.0.9 patch that will mostly address Itemization. Reason I ask is because its way to out of hand already and prices/availability are insane. It seems some times that I spend way more time looking/searching in AH than I do playing the game itself!

An ETA would be Awesome, thanks in advance!
Just as with our other patches, we don’t really share when future patches will land ahead of time, so we don’t have an ETA to share with you at the moment for when the next patch will be.

It takes time for to develop, test, implement, and then refine each change and feature, and when we say we’re working on it, we truly are. As Wyatt points out in this interview, we've been doing more than just “talking about” it, too. We’ve already started to prototype some ideas (which we’ve called out in blogs, posts, and chats), and are now putting them into action in test environments to see what works and what doesn’t. In many cases, those ideas can be improved further, so they’ll likely have to go through a lot of iteration before they'll bring a lot of value to the game and are ready for primetime -- especially since itemization touches a lot of other areas of the game like skills, passives, drop rates, combat pacing, and overall difficulty. Any time you’re looking to make notable changes to a core feature of a game (e.g. itemization), you have to keep in mind that it’s probably also going to deeply affect other systems too. So, making changes to itemization, at least to the extent that we’re looking at, will not only take some time, but it’ll likely occur around the same time that we make changes to those other systems as well.

TL;DR: Issues like itemization are incredibly important to us, but it’s a particularly complex issue, and not one that is easy to address. As developers recently stated, it’ll be awhile yet until the itemization revamp is complete (think post-BlizzCon), but we’ll be sure to share detailed more information about how everything is coming along as soon as there are any new developments. In the meantime, you can find out a bit more about our vision for it in a developer interview that was recently posted over on Diablo Somepage.
Reply Quote
Vaeflare, i'm sorry but post blizz-con is really not acceptable at all. The last patches changes were good but not significant enough to keep me occupied until november, and honestly, the 'complex issue' argument just doesn't cut it.. no matter how complex it is, there is no reason it should take OVER 3 months to do this..
Reply Quote
It'll be better to have one great content-filled patch rather than numerous small ones. And considering a future itemization patch will be post-BlizzCon, no one can rule out some surprises here and there in between now and November.

Time will tell! Patiently waiting. In the meantime, show Sanctuary you care by spilling more demon blood.
Reply Quote
It'll be better to have one great content-filled patch rather than numerous small ones. And considering a future itemization patch will be post-BlizzCon, no one can rule out some surprises here and there in between now and November.

Time will tell! Patiently waiting. In the meantime, show Sanctuary you care by spilling more demon blood.

the surprise is d3 on console in and heartstone beta soon.
Reply Quote

the surprise is d3 on console in and heartstone beta soon.

Surprises for sure. Also not barring surprises for the PC D3.

You know what I meant...
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 04:26 PMPosted by kij
Vaeflare, i'm sorry but post blizz-con is really not acceptable at all. The last patches changes were good but not significant enough to keep me occupied until november, and honestly, the 'complex issue' argument just doesn't cut it.. no matter how complex it is, there is no reason it should take OVER 3 months to do this..

Don't listen to this person.

We've seen the ramifications of rushing out patches in the past. We demanded an early release of Diablo 3 and never got PvP as a result. Impatient fans will still be here when you're ready to release the game. Even if it means leaving Diablo 3 for a few months in the process.

You only hurt your PR and rep by rushing out content.
Learn from past mistakes and don't rush out the patch.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile

Well, Blizzard could rush, push out something sub par...

Or...

It could be carefully planned, tested, and deployed with minimal issues.

The community is far more intelligent than Blizzard's small team. It's better to be careful and not just create a whole new set of BiS gear.

Rushing something as important as itemization while being careless about it will yield unexpected results.
Reply Quote
Hi, am just wondering if we have an ETA on the 1.0.9 patch that will mostly address Itemization. Reason I ask is because its way to out of hand already and prices/availability are insane. It seems some times that I spend way more time looking/searching in AH than I do playing the game itself!

Just as with our other patches, we don’t really share when future patches will land ahead of time, so we don’t have an ETA to share with you at the moment for when the next patch will be.

It takes time for to develop...

But what about other patches? Will there be a patch or patches between now and the itemization patch that change things other than itemization? Like skill changes or anything else?

Edit: And I realize you wouldn't give an ETA on that either, but you didn't really say in your post whether or not we could expect anything between now and the itemization patch.
Edited by Borg#1611 on 6/19/2013 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

It takes time for to develop, test, implement, and then refine each change and feature, and when we say we’re working on it, we truly are. As Wyatt points out in [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]this interview[/url], we've been doing more than just “[url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]talking about[/url]” it, too. We’ve already started to prototype some ideas (which we’ve called out in blogs, posts, and chats), and are now putting them into action in test environments to see what works and what doesn’t. In many cases, those ideas can be improved further, so they’ll likely have to go through a lot of iteration before they'll bring a lot of value to the game and are ready for primetime -- especially since itemization [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt2-expectations"]touches a lot of other areas of the game[/url] like skills, passives, drop rates, combat pacing, and overall difficulty. Any time you’re looking to make notable changes to a core feature of a game (e.g. itemization), you have to keep in mind that it’s probably also going to deeply affect other systems too. So, making changes to itemization, at least to the extent that we’re looking at, will not only take some time, but it’ll likely occur around the same time that we make changes to those other systems as well.

TL;DR: Issues like itemization are incredibly important to us, but it’s a particularly complex issue, and not one that is easy to address. As developers [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1572-june-2013-interview-of-josh-mosqueira-travis-day-and-kevin-martens#item-revamp-schedule"]recently stated[/url], it’ll be awhile yet until the itemization revamp is complete (think post-BlizzCon), but we’ll be sure to share detailed more information about how everything is coming along as soon as there are any new developments. In the meantime, you can find out a bit more about our vision for it in [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1569-items-20-revamp-in-d3-wont-happen-before-blizzcon"]a developer interview that was recently posted over on Diablo Somepage[/url].

Worse response ever.

Just come out and say it. The dev team is in fact, focusing on a clean console launch instead of worrying about the PC playform.

Itemization patch this far out since the open beta in May started over a year ago is unacceptable. The fact that the expansion pack coming out in 2014 is a blow to us already, now we have to wait even longer for patch 1.09.

Steal your algorithms from D2. Better yet, actually get some devs that develop, maintain, and fix your broken game.
Reply Quote
If you don't enjoy the game in its current iteration, you are screwed.
Reply Quote

You're pretty much talking out of your !@#.
Reply Quote
Worse response ever.

Just come out and say it. The dev team is in fact, focusing on a clean console launch instead of worrying about the PC playform.

Itemization patch this far out since the open beta in May started over a year ago is unacceptable. The fact that the expansion pack coming out in 2014 is a blow to us already, now we have to wait even longer for patch 1.09.

Steal your algorithms from D2. Better yet, actually get some devs that develop, maintain, and fix your broken game.

If you think a non-subscription based game would get any more than it already has ... or before the expansion... that's your own fault.

If a company makes a game and people don't like it... they don't have to "fix" the game... and there are by no means "deadlines" as you seem to suggest.
Reply Quote
Worse response ever.

If you think a non-subscription based game would get any more than it already has ... or before the expansion... that's your own fault.

If a company makes a game and people don't like it... they don't have to "fix" the game... and there are by no means "deadlines" as you seem to suggest.

Shame on me for thinking a company that use to do things for the players instead of money, would, you know, fix their game.

They make money of their RMAH scheme. They sold over 12million copies on PC. I'm pretty sure Bobby Kotick can fit it into the budget.
Reply Quote
Why would you post blogs about an upcoming patch you guys are incapable of releasing for 8-12 months? Don't you think this is ignorant? Why is it such a big deal to fix itemization? I truly believe your past developers did horrible coding that made it impossible to make these changes easy in the future. Any good programmer writes his code and plans way in advance for these type of changes. So when I read Travis Day say "it's not just a variable", why the hell not? You worked on the code for several years. Now you're having to rewrite it? This make sense to you? You need better programmers. You need smarter people. All of the crap Wyatt and Travis have been talking about was said last APRIL 2012. People knew then the itemization has been absurd in this game from the get go. How the hell do you guys even show up for work knowing how disappointed any of the long term players feel? Why do we read about this patch ETA over on some other web site? TALK TO US, INFORM US. PLEASE.
Reply Quote

It takes time for to develop, test, implement, and then refine each change and feature, and when we say we’re working on it, we truly are. As Wyatt points out in [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]this interview[/url], we've been doing more than just “[url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-open-world"]talking about[/url]” it, too. We’ve already started to prototype some ideas (which we’ve called out in blogs, posts, and chats), and are now putting them into action in test environments to see what works and what doesn’t. In many cases, those ideas can be improved further, so they’ll likely have to go through a lot of iteration before they'll bring a lot of value to the game and are ready for primetime -- especially since itemization [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt2-expectations"]touches a lot of other areas of the game[/url] like skills, passives, drop rates, combat pacing, and overall difficulty. Any time you’re looking to make notable changes to a core feature of a game (e.g. itemization), you have to keep in mind that it’s probably also going to deeply affect other systems too. So, making changes to itemization, at least to the extent that we’re looking at, will not only take some time, but it’ll likely occur around the same time that we make changes to those other systems as well.

TL;DR: Issues like itemization are incredibly important to us, but it’s a particularly complex issue, and not one that is easy to address. As developers [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1572-june-2013-interview-of-josh-mosqueira-travis-day-and-kevin-martens#item-revamp-schedule"]recently stated[/url], it’ll be awhile yet until the itemization revamp is complete (think post-BlizzCon), but we’ll be sure to share detailed more information about how everything is coming along as soon as there are any new developments. In the meantime, you can find out a bit more about our vision for it in [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1569-items-20-revamp-in-d3-wont-happen-before-blizzcon"]a developer interview that was recently posted over on Diablo Somepage[/url].

This may be in accurate post, but it is not acceptable. You have an entire team of people working on D3 on these patches.

There comes a point where Blizzard (I realize you are just a messenger) has to admit that they are doing a terrible job, have disappointed most players, and just admit that they suck with D3.

Yeah, it sucks to admit you are bad at something and it's not fun, but to just continue to say 'sorry, these things are complex and take lots of time' is just not acceptable.

If it takes a year of testing and designing to change how items work then the people doing that designing and testing are just very poor at their jobs.
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Drothvader

Well, Blizzard could rush, push out something sub par...

Or...

It could be carefully planned, tested, and deployed with minimal issues.

The community is far more intelligent than Blizzard's small team. It's better to be careful and not just create a whole new set of BiS gear.

Rushing something as important as itemization while being careless about it will yield unexpected results.

Droth, you go back and forth between being a Blizzard fanboy (faking, I think, because you realize how much they have messed up) and being pissed at Blizzard. Pick one.

They've already been working on itemization for months. They have an entire team of people devoted to Diablo 3. I don't care how hard or complicated the new itemization will be - it should not take months to get that done. And we aren't just talking about months, we are talking 6-8-12+ months.

Also, your point of 'Blizzard should take their time and only release things when they are ready' is also Blizzard's mantra. But guess what? They released D3 when they thought it was perfect, and it was a terrible idea. We've basically been in open beta for the last year.

Sure, the story is okay (could be HUGELY improved), the graphics are what we expected...but pretty much everything else was off at launch. Items, difficulty, scaling, pvp, group play, finding items, the auction house was terrible, etc.

I just want Blizzard to man up and admit that they had people design the game poorly and to admit they were wrong and were bad at their jobs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]