Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Population

90 Human Rogue
So with marvel heroes coming out, and path of exile I wanted to see what everyone has to say about diablo 3 currently.

How strong is its player base right now?
How is the economy?

And are you guys going to be switching to other games? I know marvel Heroes has pulled alot of my attention so I am curious what you guys think
Reply Quote
I think you should go play those other games. They seem to interest you. and you obviously haven't been playing this if you have to ask about the player base and economy.

Have fun.
Reply Quote
Hi All,

Marvel Heroes looks quite crappy imho, the graphic is crap and the gameplay is the exact same (no duh, its made by the same person that was involve with Diablo and D2)

link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Bz7ljPqTg

Gazillion could've worked with a bigger company and made it into a real thing, afterall it is Marvel.

I mean, even the older Marvels from PS2 which had 4 players looks better than this. Aside from that, I think since 1.08 I notice a lot more players in Diablo 3 from Asia Server. The gem prices is at its highest and things seems ok for a game that has been out for 1 year.

Oh and Path of Exile, the game looks more like my Science's Periodic Table.

Thanks
Reply Quote
path of exile i think would have been great 10years ago , games have evolved to much since that style of rpgs (not that d3 broke any records).

D3 , Guildwars2 maybe neverwinter until elder scrolls release.

on the d3 community i dont think much has changed in 6months, small player base, average game,
numbers speak for themselves.
Reply Quote
To answer your questions OP; Blizzard have recently stated they have upwards of 1 million unique users daily and 3 million unique users a month so it's still a popular game. As for the economy, the RMAH gold floor was recently lowered ($0.25/10mil) effectively increasing the value of top end gear. Unfortunately the max sale price on AH is still 2 bil gold so most top end items will not longer be found there (unless sold by someone who doesn't know better).

As it seems others are sharing their opinions on MH and PoE I'll jump in and do the same. ;P

Path of Exile has amazing character customization and itemization features however it's game engine and world design leave a lot to be desired. Animations and combat are generally lacking responsiveness and the environments could use a lot of work to make them feel more alive. That said, the team has done a fantastic job on such a small budget and continue to evolve the experience, this alone sees me coming back to the game every couple of months.

Marvel Heroes on the other hand is a freemium mess. I played extensively in the closed beta and was really disappointed with the game as a whole, even more so because of the team involved. The animations are clunky, the combat is incredibly repetitive, the UI is jumbled, the customization is more limited than you can imagine. Unfortunately not much I can say I like about this title.
Reply Quote
i have come back diablo III... Took blizz a year, but they finally made the game fun :)
Reply Quote
I don't know much about POE besides some youtube vids ive seen of gameplay but it seems to have very very basic combat even if stats are interesting when 99% are worthless and there is the definitive 1 or 2 builds and items u go for meh....

Marvel gameplay repetitive to the maxor what you do at lvl 1 u do at 2 and 3 and 4 lol might as well be a mouse only game imo and skills are uninteresting and bland all together. Will be a serious fail of a game unless you have never played a game in your life before it might seem interesting.
Reply Quote
05/17/2013 11:44 PMPosted by Luxorflip
I know marvel Heroes has pulled alot of my attention so I am curious what you guys think

What do I think....mmmmmm

I am not impressed. Gazillion Entertainment, under "Secret Identity Studios" is just milking Stan Lee's characters and throwing it into a game that has no future. Just like the Star Wars Old Republic game.....the Marvel Game will also fall flat. If memory serves...Cryptic Studios tried to develop "Champions Online" which used Marvel comic book heroes. Guess what.....they could not complete it lol.

On a positive note the game utilizes Unreal Engine 3 (the iteration time is really good). This is a positive for the developers. From a player stand point...I wont waste my time playing this game lol.

If the studio had any imagination or talent they should be able to create their own game with their own characters.

Just my opinion.
Reply Quote
I keep hearing about Marvel Heroes for some reason.. don't know why. I'm going to wait and see if my friends or anyone I respect likes it just like any other game, but I don't foresee some kind of exodus of players.

Path of Exile is a great game for example but crumbles under the pressure of intense play. Lots of little imbalances and annoying quirks. With Marvel being f2p I don't anticipate them "figuring out" a proper endgame either.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Thank you this helped alot, since u have experience playing marvel
Reply Quote
05/18/2013 01:12 AMPosted by DamienJohn
To answer your questions OP; Blizzard have recently stated they have upwards of 1 million unique users daily and 3 million unique users a month so it's still a popular game.

It was 100k uniques per day, Spread out across the 3 regions.

Offcourse its a ok amount, but with 12million+ copies sold, i would expect a bit more.
Reply Quote
05/18/2013 02:15 AMPosted by Luxorflip
Thank you this helped alot, since u have experience playing marvel

I suffered through MH in beta far enough to level once, then quit. It was painful to do that much. It is a long stretch to even compare it to D2.
Reply Quote
05/18/2013 02:37 AMPosted by Jade
To answer your questions OP; Blizzard have recently stated they have upwards of 1 million unique users daily and 3 million unique users a month so it's still a popular game.

Offcourse its a ok amount, but with 12million+ copies sold, i would expect a bit more.

It was a million a day, it would hurt Blizz a great more to lie about player numbers at an investor's meeting than give the actual numbers regardless of their standing. What really surprises me is that you think more people would be around. Diablo doesn't have constant content patches coming out like subscription MMOs like WoW. Numbers drop considerably over time as a result, this is natural for a game. That the game sold so well is sufficient, that a million players play a day is actually impressive for a one year old game without any major content patches as of yet.
Reply Quote
I did the Marvel open beta last weekend...somethings missing. Something I can't quite put my finger on. It's fun, but I don't think it has the longevity that D2 had. Right now for me its world of tanks, neverwinter and some odds and ends on steam until ESO comes out.
Reply Quote
When PoE came out, it was heavily influenced by Diablo 3. Due to people's disappointment with the game, they went to othr games and praised them not for their merit, but because they were what diablo 3 should have been. If one looked at the general discussion brought up, the common point brought up was how they were the true Diablo 3 game, not this.

Problem I found with that is it gave the other games unrealistic expectations. So when the idea of it being the true Diablo 3 wears off, the game itself will end up being judged. Unfortunately, they ended up not being as grand as many made it out to be. I think mny wanted the games to fill that true Diablo 3 void so badly that they naively advertised the game as sheer brilliance (the forums were filled with countless post of people almost in a trance-like-demeanor praising the game and telling people to go to that game instead of Diablo 3. Seemingly as if the game NEEDED to be successful, otherwise all their hope and wish for it being the true Diablo 3 would fail.

Now, TL2 came out and people went on how brilliant it would be. The game was designed by the Diablo 2 creators so of course it would be amazing. The game we were all expecting; that did not come to be. Many friends bought it, I got it, my brother bought it, and it was fun for a while. But it eventually got boring and no we do not play.

PoE was similar; the game was praised and many people played it (I myself played it). But the game has many problems and people started leaving it since the 'excitement' and 'need' for it to fill the disappointment-void did not come to fruition. Just by looking at Twitch alone, one can see the streaming and viewer count numbers have dwindled (whereas Diablo 3 still much higher). The player count has dropped significantly that much is true. That is why I stopped playing, the game had its flaws and has had some improvement, but I do not expect a lot.

Diablo 3, although they do make mistakes, does seem to be getting worked on and more content is added. The density being added which has been wanted for quite some time, has been a massive step forward to making the game great. Blizzard still is adjusting the items and their droprate to get a nice feel for it. Decreasing droprate, increasing it, dropping it again and making them better, etc. etc.

I will say this, try the game out, try the other games out, and just see how you like it. Diablo 3 is not going anywhere, it will continue to be worked on and more will be added. So even if you take extended breaks, there should be something new in the end. But that is Diablo series, at least for myself. Play a lot and than quit, play more and quit. I did this with Diablo 2 and will do it with Diablo 3 (although Diablo 2, I had many heroes deleted from inactivity which sucked but oh well).

Long text/rant/comment done! *exhausted*
Reply Quote
05/18/2013 02:56 AMPosted by Necrosis

It was a million a day, it would hurt Blizz a great more to lie about player numbers at an investor's meeting than give the actual numbers regardless of their standing. What really surprises me is that you think more people would be around. Diablo doesn't have constant content patches coming out like subscription MMOs like WoW. Numbers drop considerably over time as a result, this is natural for a game. That the game sold so well is sufficient, that a million players play a day is actually impressive for a one year old game without any major content patches as of yet.

I would be surprised if it were 1million i thought around 50k played on us server at a guess.Not saying ethier of you are right or wronge i don't to be honest. But yes i did expect numbers to drop like you said no content updates means more of the same crap. Blizz made there money tenfold on sales alone.Thats what they were after. why im not hanging around til exp if it comes.
Reply Quote
05/18/2013 03:31 AMPosted by Ashkar
It was a million a day

And how many out of that million are bots? We KNOW we have bots. We know we have a LOT of bots. That is a pretty poor number when you break it all down. Only 10-15% of account/player retention and a lot of bots to boot.

And don't forget the dummy accounts that spam players to get them to go to their gold selling websites. Need to factor that, too, into those "1 million log-ins."

IMO, that 1M logins only has a fraction of real people playing.

~
Also you have to understand this is world-wide wherever D3 sold, and IMO 1m retained players is BAD. And this game bleeds players every patch. Every patch there's something some-one doesn't like. So they up and quit. People said this game is dying and people ignored it or scoffed at it. But the reality is, this game IS dying, they're right. It sucks. It's Diablo. I wanted it to be the next epic in the Diablo series. But at the rate this game is headed, there won't be anyone else left to play with. Everyone has bashed this game to hell and back. Just look at the internet and you can see for yourselves.
Edited by VinnyI82#1302 on 5/18/2013 3:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
When PoE came out, it was heavily influenced by Diablo 3. Due to people's disappointment with the game, they went to othr games and praised them not for their merit, but because they were what diablo 3 should have been. If one looked at the general discussion brought up, the common point brought up was how they were the true Diablo 3 game, not this.

Problem I found with that is it gave the other games unrealistic expectations. So when the idea of it being the true Diablo 3 wears off, the game itself will end up being judged. Unfortunately, they ended up not being as grand as many made it out to be. I think mny wanted the games to fill that true Diablo 3 void so badly that they naively advertised the game as sheer brilliance (the forums were filled with countless post of people almost in a trance-like-demeanor praising the game and telling people to go to that game instead of Diablo 3. Seemingly as if the game NEEDED to be successful, otherwise all their hope and wish for it being the true Diablo 3 would fail.

Now, TL2 came out and people went on how brilliant it would be. The game was designed by the Diablo 2 creators so of course it would be amazing. The game we were all expecting; that did not come to be. Many friends bought it, I got it, my brother bought it, and it was fun for a while. But it eventually got boring and no we do not play.

PoE was similar; the game was praised and many people played it (I myself played it). But the game has many problems and people started leaving it since the 'excitement' and 'need' for it to fill the disappointment-void did not come to fruition. Just by looking at Twitch alone, one can see the streaming and viewer count numbers have dwindled (whereas Diablo 3 still much higher). The player count has dropped significantly that much is true. That is why I stopped playing, the game had its flaws and has had some improvement, but I do not expect a lot.

Diablo 3, although they do make mistakes, does seem to be getting worked on and more content is added. The density being added which has been wanted for quite some time, has been a massive step forward to making the game great. Blizzard still is adjusting the items and their droprate to get a nice feel for it. Decreasing droprate, increasing it, dropping it again and making them better, etc. etc.

I will say this, try the game out, try the other games out, and just see how you like it. Diablo 3 is not going anywhere, it will continue to be worked on and more will be added. So even if you take extended breaks, there should be something new in the end. But that is Diablo series, at least for myself. Play a lot and than quit, play more and quit. I did this with Diablo 2 and will do it with Diablo 3 (although Diablo 2, I had many heroes deleted from inactivity which sucked but oh well).

Long text/rant/comment done! *exhausted*
This is 100% entirely true. For me as well although i havent tried the Marvel game yet and from what ive heard i will not.
Reply Quote
05/18/2013 03:36 AMPosted by VinnyI
It was a million a day

And how many out of that million are bots? We KNOW we have bots. We know we have a LOT of bots. That is a pretty poor number when you break it all down. Only 10-15% of account/player retention and a lot of bots to boot.

And don't forget the dummy accounts that spam players to get them to go to their gold selling websites. Need to factor that, too, into those "1 million log-ins."

IMO, that 1M logins only has a fraction of real people playing.

~
Also you have to understand this is world-wide wherever D3 sold, and IMO 1m retained players is BAD. And this game bleeds players every patch. Every patch there's something some-one doesn't like. So they up and quit. People said this game is dying and people ignored it or scoffed at it. But the reality is, this game IS dying, they're right. It sucks. It's Diablo. I wanted it to be the next epic in the Diablo series. But at the rate this game is headed, there won't be anyone else left to play with. Everyone has bashed this game to hell and back. Just look at the internet and you can see for yourselves.
The game is not dying. If it were dying they would not still be amking patches for it(common sense please?) Yes the game at launch was disappointing but TBH the game is not that bad although yes it still needs a ton of work i believe it will get done. Also people forget that what D3 is going thru now D2 did the same. D2 was !@#$ at launch and it was until the expansion came out that it became as good as it is/was
Reply Quote
That is a pretty poor number when you break it all down. Only 10-15% of account/player retention and a lot of bots to boot.

It's a year after release, this level of retention a year after release is very good, regardless of how it compares to Diablo 2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]