Diablo® III

Impossible to get some items in AH

View profile

Right. This coming from a person that often calls people lame on the forums. Hypocritical much?

Facepalm carries with it a far more negative meaning, than a simple lame, especially given that many people over time have used artwork to depict it no less...so ya I think so.

But good try to deflect your guilt. My lame comment was most likely well deserved, but telling people they are dumb ( inferred by facepalm), isn't terribly considerate.

LOL Are you seriously trying to quantify the negative connotations between a facepalm and the word lame? There is no difference. They are both used to call out a person making a dumb comment. Oh but its especially negative because people used ASCII art to depict it. Are you serious? If there was a similarly relevant art as JLP to depict lame people would use it as well. And I find it funny you think I am trying to deflect guilt. I dont feel guilty about facepalming people. I simply pointed out that it was very hypocritical of someone that is saying Im not being considerate to be calling people lame. And you are the one trying to deflect guilt saying that those people probably deserved it. Well guess what. I think those people deserved a facepalm so I guess its ok right.
Reply Quote
Great explanation, although it doesn't explain where does that misleading and unnecessary "current bid" number appears. If the AH works the way you're explaining, I don't see the use of the "current bid" number. ¿Why does this number is even displayed to players? It's damn misleading. So many times i've seen great items at "current bit 50m". I bid 60m - I'm winning and the current bid moves to 60m as well.

Auction ends and I never got the item.

Please Blizz do us all the favor and simply remove the "current bid" number or simply leave it at the bid owner's default number. It's plain stupid. If Max Bids are hidden from everyone and that's what determines who gets to keep the item, why fool us with a "current bid" thats means nothing?

I understand why you are frustrated, but the "current bid" is important information and IS relevant. Removing it would be harmful to the bidding. The reason it matters is because it tells everyone who comes along later that if the most they are willing to bid is lower than the current bid, they don't need to bother. If someone started a bid at 100, and it was now at 500m, but the "current bid" still displayed as 100, a LOT of people would waste their time trying to bid on an item they have no chance of winning. By knowing that it is at 500m, those who don't value it that highly can just skip along their merry way. The current bid also helps (some) people realize why their bid got instantly "outbid". If you bid and the game says "you've been outbid", and the current is now at your bid, people who are familiar with proxy bidding understand exactly what happened.

As for your specific situation, I dunno what to say. If you bid 60m, and the game said you have the current winning bid, and the auction ends and you don't get the item, then you must have been outbid later. Did you get your gold back? If you got neither the gold or the item, then that is a serious bug you should submit a ticket for. If you got the gold back, then you were NOT the winning bidder (even if you did hold the max bid for some time on the item).

Please know, as some have suggested here, that some buyers intentionally place no bids on items until the final moments of the auction, and in the last minute they place a very large bid (as much as they are willing to pay for it). They do this to prevent from getting their max bid upped, and if they see an item is about to sell for far less than they think the item is worth. This is commonly referred to as "sniping". But the majority of players would probably fine engaging in this behavior tedious, so for those people, the preferred tactic is to just place the largest bid you're willing to pay when you decide you want the item, and see how it goes. Just know that you may lose the item in the last few minutes that it's up. Good luck!

@Duck: I didn't mean to be rude... well, maybe a little. I just meant that saying words to the effect of "you don't know anything!" isn't helpful, especially with a player who obviously doesn't understand the system as well as you do.

@Facepalm-debators: Maybe you should open another thread about that? This one is about bids.
Edited by FalconGK81#1833 on 5/13/2013 2:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 12:21 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Additionally, we recently updated our Game Guide with a bit more information about how bidding works in Diablo III. I recommend you check it out here: [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/auction-house#bidding"]http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/auction-house#bidding[/url]

Thanks for this Vaeflare! I'll be sure and include the link to the game guide when I see this particular question pop up in the future.
Reply Quote
There isn't any rocket science to bidding:

1) think of what the item is worth to you - that's your max bid
2) don't place your bid until the very last minute - to minimize the chance of being outbid
3) if someone outbid you regardless of the above, they want the item more than you do

Rinse and repeat.
Reply Quote
View profile

@Duck: Yes, that was much better. I didn't mean to be rude... well, maybe a little. I just meant that saying words to the effect of "you don't know anything!" isn't helpful, especially with a player who obviously doesn't understand the system as well as you do.

@Facepalm-debators: Maybe you should open another thread about that? This one is about bids.

LOL No worries. I didnt really care if it was better. I was being snide. Nothing personal though. =D

As far as facepalms not being helpful it really isnt meant to be. If you look through my post history I do help people without being mean. It all depends on how they ask. If you ask a simple question I often give a simple answer. But if you come off ranting about how the system is broken and other people need to solve your problem well I get a little irritated. Just trying to get people to think before raging on the forums and calling them dumb is just my way of doing that.

But yeah the question has been asked and answered (by a blue even) and so I should really stop derailing it with this side debate.
Reply Quote
You list this as though it's a good thing.

The problem with proxy bidding is this.

Those who have the most gold always win. Thus giving a very unfair advantage to those who bot or have found other ways to cheat. Here's an example.

Someone lists an item with a starting bid of 100 gold.

Player A bids, who's loaded, 1 billion on the item just before the clock runs out. Does he lose the billion, of course not this is proxy bidding, so all he pays is the last highest bid and then he repeats the process on the next good item.

Thus allowing him/her to buy great items cheap, then flip them with much higher prices. This should be very obvious to everyone at this point looking at the current AH prices.

By not allowing proxy bidding you would clear up allot of the AH issues and make it a viable tool again.

Unless of course your purpose was intentionally done this way for matters of your own profit.

Nuff said.
Edited by Demented#1318 on 5/13/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Those who have the most gold always win. Thus giving a very unfair advantage to those who bot or have found other ways to cheat. Here's an example.

Player A bids, who's loaded, bids 1 billion on the item just before the clock runs out. Does he lose the billion, of course not this is proxy bidding, so all he pays is the last highest bid and then he repeats the process on the next good item.

Thus allowing him/her to buy great items cheap, then flip them with much higher prices. This should be very obvious to everyone at this point looking at the current AH prices.

By not allowing proxy bidding you would clear up allot of the AH issues and make it a viable tool again.

Unless of course your purpose was intentionally done this way for matters of your own profit.

Nuff said.

No, that's not even CLOSE to "enough said". First off, why shouldn't an item go to the person with the most money (or more accurately, the person willing to pay the most)? That's the WHOLE PURPOSE of an auction! Your premise is flawed that such a person gets the items "cheap". As long as others also bid what they're willing to pay for the item, then the "rich" person will always pay slightly MORE than what the next person valued the item at. So most often they'll be getting the item around market value. Of course there would be exceptions where a great item goes unnoticed by others, but how is that the "rich" person's fault? As long as the market is operating properly (which granted the gold cap on items is inhibiting to some extent), what is the problem?
Reply Quote
View profile

@Duck: Yes, that was much better. I didn't mean to be rude... well, maybe a little. I just meant that saying words to the effect of "you don't know anything!" isn't helpful, especially with a player who obviously doesn't understand the system as well as you do.

LOL No worries. I didnt really care if it was better. I was being snide. Nothing personal though. =D

As far as facepalms not being helpful it really isnt meant to be. If you look through my post history I do help people without being mean. It all depends on how they ask. If you ask a simple question I often give a simple answer. But if you come off ranting about how the system is broken and other people need to solve your problem well I get a little irritated. Just trying to get people to think before raging on the forums and calling them dumb is just my way of doing that.

But yeah the question has been asked and answered (by a blue even) and so I should really stop derailing it with this side debate.

Do you really need to be told, why calling someone dumb, or 'facepalming' them, isn't , OK ?

Really ? If so, you need to learn about the negatives of arrogance and narcissism.
Reply Quote

I really wish you'd take the facepalming debate elsewhere, but you seem determined to have it out here, so here's my two cents: You claim you don't facepalm unless they "come off ranting about how the system is broken". But that's flatly not true. The OP in this thread was not "ranting", he was trying to explain how he was bidding and how he kept getting instantly outbid. Yes, he attributed that to a bot, but that's only natural since the behavior DOES look bot-like (in that it is automated). I don't see anything in his posts that rants, he's simply pointing out the experience he had and trying to understand why he can't win the items. But you come right in and "L2Proxybid" him and /facepalm.

Don't paint yourself to be a guy who "helps out people who don't rant" when you proved in this very thread that's not true. L2(whatever) is just about the most condescending, rude and immature response you could possibly give someone who CLEARLY isn't trolling, and just doesn't understand. /facepalm only makes it worse. The fact is the rest of us /facepalm at your behavior. Grow up.
Reply Quote
View profile

Player A bids, who's loaded, 1 billion on the item just before the clock runs out. Does he lose the billion, of course not this is proxy bidding, so all he pays is the last highest bid and then he repeats the process on the next good item.

Nuff said.

People with more gold are always going to place higher bids than people with less gold. Proxy bidding doesnt mean that the people with more gold will get the items for less. If people bid with the highest value they are willing to pay for an item that isnt going to change because a flipper decided to place a very high max bid. What is he going to flip it for if it already exceeds what people are willing to pay for it? Here is an example:

starting bid: 1M
50 different players put in max bids with the highest being: 30M
flipper max bid: 2B

So the flipper gets the item for 30M. What is he going to post it at? If thats already as high as people are willing to spend? If thats not as high as people are willing to spend then they should have put in higher max bids. The only time a flipper gets the item cheaply is if everyone is trying to be cheap and not put in max bids that they think the item is worth. If people put in their actual max bids then the flipper is already paying full price and has to hope there is someone out there that is willing to pay more.
Reply Quote
View profile

LOL Are you seriously trying to quantify the negative connotations between a facepalm and the word lame? There is no difference. They are both used to call out a person making a dumb comment. Oh but its especially negative because people used ASCII art to depict it. Are you serious? If there was a similarly relevant art as JLP to depict lame people would use it as well. And I find it funny you think I am trying to deflect guilt. I dont feel guilty about facepalming people. I simply pointed out that it was very hypocritical of someone that is saying Im not being considerate to be calling people lame. And you are the one trying to deflect guilt saying that those people probably deserved it. Well guess what. I think those people deserved a facepalm so I guess its ok right.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lame < there is lame, and 'weak' or unsatisfactory,in no way infers DUMB.

However:

5. facepalm

to hit one's own forehead with your hand/palm, and drag it down one's face. Most often done in frustration or agitation.
Sometimes forcefully done to others for humour purposes.

As I tried to explain a complex math problem to a four year old, I felt a need to facepalm.

I don't think this is any doubt to which one carries a firmer degree of inference to DUMB, or 'slow'.

You said it yourself anyway, that you intent is to thrust 'dumb' just cuz, in your replies. Nuff said.The ascii art just magnifies it, but you would get that if you cared, but given your admitting the DUMB comments, all of that is self explanatory. And btw, Im not trying to say anything of the sort,nor..UNLIKE you,have I ever actually ' said as much'. But whatever, continue on in your denial because that's easier than owning up to your own deliberate arrogance and narcissism.

That and what Falcon said.
Edited by cajunctionAI#1755 on 5/13/2013 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So that explains why i always get a gold refund when buying on the AH!
Reply Quote
AH is a good idea, but shouldnt be the only way to upgrade.... would be nice to find something every now and again.... thanks blizz.... nice to play an economics game but about as boring as monopoly
Reply Quote
View profile

I really wish you'd take the facepalming debate elsewhere, but you seem determined to have it out here, so here's my two cents: You claim you don't facepalm unless they "come off ranting about how the system is broken". But that's flatly not true. The OP in this thread was not "ranting", he was trying to explain how he was bidding and how he kept getting instantly outbid. Yes, he attributed that to a bot, but that's only natural since the behavior DOES look bot-like (in that it is automated). I don't see anything in his posts that rants, he's simply pointing out the experience he had and trying to understand why he can't win the items. But you come right in and "L2Proxybid" him and /facepalm.

Don't paint yourself to be a guy who "helps out people who don't rant" when you proved in this very thread that's not true. L2(whatever) is just about the most condescending, rude and immature response you could possibly give someone who CLEARLY isn't trolling, and just doesn't understand. /facepalm only makes it worse. The fact is the rest of us /facepalm at your behavior. Grow up.

Didnt I write that you were right and I would stop derailing with the facepalm debate? And yet you are here continuing it? And I am the one that needs to grow up? Really?

And to the other lame person that thinks posting the definition of facepalm is helping his cause. Not once does it say anything about being mean. Rather you clearly post its done out of frustration or agitation and I clearly stated that the way the OP posted irritated me. Nice try though.
Reply Quote
Have you guys never used EBay before wtf...
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Hi Vaeflare,

Is my understanding of 2bil max bid incorrect?
This is correct. The maximum bid on the gold Auction House is 2 billion gold.
Reply Quote
Hi Vaeflare,

Any plans in the foreseeable future removing such cap?
Edited by Bluthium#1822 on 5/13/2013 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Vaeflare,

thank you =)
Reply Quote
ppl have no idea how the auto bidding works
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 03:39 PMPosted by Bloggins
ppl have no idea how the auto bidding works

People don't know how the bidding works and people don't know how to use elective mode, there needs to be a tutorial or something for this...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]