Diablo® III

Impossible to get some items in AH

05/13/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Vaeflare
This is correct. The maximum bid on the gold Auction House is 2 billion gold.

Please listen to my plea Vaeflare,

This needs to be raised or increased. Many items are not available to players who don't want to use 3rd party thanks to this cap.

This means that if an upgrade for you is worth more than 2billion gold, you can't find it for sale in your own game. And 2 billion gold is quite cheap to get these days.

Also, there are many times when there are items that have been BID up to 2 billion gold and players would like to bid higher but can't. This creates the scenario where the fastest player to see the auction is the winner instead of the player who was willing to bid the highest. This is a severe flaw for an auction system.

Also, if players were able to bid higher, more gold would be deleted from the economy via the 15% Tax. We desperately need this.
Reply Quote
@ Chillaxin is then item prices would go NUTS.

The majority of the playerbase would never be allowed to own any decent gear.

No dude, we don't need this. It'd only hurt the D3 economy further and make it harder on players whoa aren't super rich. You may have billions of disposable income, and congrats on that, but many of us don't and maybe never will.

Don't ruin the game for us just so you cna make a little extra cash when you already have enough for all your gaming needs.

No thanks, leave it at 2 billion.
Reply Quote
You list this as though it's a good thing.

The problem with proxy bidding is this.

Those who have the most gold always win. Thus giving a very unfair advantage to those who bot or have found other ways to cheat. Here's an example.

Someone lists an item with a starting bid of 100 gold.

Player A bids, who's loaded, 1 billion on the item just before the clock runs out. Does he lose the billion, of course not this is proxy bidding, so all he pays is the last highest bid and then he repeats the process on the next good item.

Thus allowing him/her to buy great items cheap, then flip them with much higher prices. This should be very obvious to everyone at this point looking at the current AH prices.

By not allowing proxy bidding you would clear up allot of the AH issues and make it a viable tool again.

Unless of course your purpose was intentionally done this way for matters of your own profit.

Nuff said.

People with more gold are always going to place higher bids than people with less gold. Proxy bidding doesnt mean that the people with more gold will get the items for less. If people bid with the highest value they are willing to pay for an item that isnt going to change because a flipper decided to place a very high max bid. What is he going to flip it for if it already exceeds what people are willing to pay for it? Here is an example:

starting bid: 1M
50 different players put in max bids with the highest being: 30M
flipper max bid: 2B

So the flipper gets the item for 30M. What is he going to post it at? If thats already as high as people are willing to spend? If thats not as high as people are willing to spend then they should have put in higher max bids. The only time a flipper gets the item cheaply is if everyone is trying to be cheap and not put in max bids that they think the item is worth. If people put in their actual max bids then the flipper is already paying full price and has to hope there is someone out there that is willing to pay more.

You list this as though it's a good thing.

The problem with proxy bidding is this.

Those who have the most gold always win. Thus giving a very unfair advantage to those who bot or have found other ways to cheat. Here's an example.

Someone lists an item with a starting bid of 100 gold.

Player A bids, who's loaded, bids 1 billion on the item just before the clock runs out. Does he lose the billion, of course not this is proxy bidding, so all he pays is the last highest bid and then he repeats the process on the next good item.

Thus allowing him/her to buy great items cheap, then flip them with much higher prices. This should be very obvious to everyone at this point looking at the current AH prices.

By not allowing proxy bidding you would clear up allot of the AH issues and make it a viable tool again.

Unless of course your purpose was intentionally done this way for matters of your own profit.

Nuff said.

No, that's not even CLOSE to "enough said". First off, why shouldn't an item go to the person with the most money (or more accurately, the person willing to pay the most)? That's the WHOLE PURPOSE of an auction! Your premise is flawed that such a person gets the items "cheap". As long as others also bid what they're willing to pay for the item, then the "rich" person will always pay slightly MORE than what the next person valued the item at. So most often they'll be getting the item around market value. Of course there would be exceptions where a great item goes unnoticed by others, but how is that the "rich" person's fault? As long as the market is operating properly (which granted the gold cap on items is inhibiting to some extent), what is the problem?

Top Quote:

Yes, proxy bidding does mean the person bidding way over the top amounts will get the item for less. They are not paying what they bid are they? (That 1st paragraph made me laugh)

If people had to pay what they bid they wouldnt be so willing to bid as much would they?

Your argument is a bit off.

Bottom Quote:

Why do ppl with the most money need credits? LOL are you a republican?

Because the money system in an on-line game can be hacked, bought, etc etc etc as per example with the AH just recently.

Both quotes:

Again if ppl pay'ed what they bid, flipping would be reduced (and a huge number of ppl want this as indicated through-out this forum)

The AH's should have never been included in this game in the 1st place. (Even offiicals at Blizzard have stated this). That tells everyone there are huge issue and complaints yet nothing about the AH has been changed or updated.

Neither one of you can honestly say that if the RMAH didnt exist those prices would be anywhere near as high. (if you do you know you're lying.)

A game about money and nothing but money causes aggravation to the majority. (READ THESE FORUMS)

Whats the old saying: If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:14 PMPosted by SaphironX
Chillaxin is then item prices would go NUTS

That would be implying that our current price ceiling is currently able to control the prices of some items. However, it is a fact that price ceilings do not have the ability to control prices.

If the price ceiling was raised, the items already on the AH would be worth the same price but we'd have new and better items available on the AH as posters would be able to post them.

Source of economic information:

Real research on price ceilings at my local library:

" But ceilings keep average prices down, don't they? Sorry, but NO!"

"Price ceilings officially reflect attempts to curb inflation, control monopoly power, or to help the poor by holding down prices for "essentials." Unfortunately, ceilings are seldom appropriate tools for any of these tasks."

"A price ceiling set above the equilibrium market-clearing price is usually as irrelevant as a law limiting joggers to 65 miles per hour." (this means price ceilings have no effect on the price of items lower than the ceiling)

"But price ceilings below equilibrium create shortages" (Wow look at that, we have a shortage of great items on the market because sellers won't sell for that low)

" Price ceilings induced shortages of thousands of items (e.g., gasoline, auto parts, and some types of food and clothing) during World Wars I and II. "

" This creates shortages and stimulates non-price allocation methods: Queuing, black market deals, and so on. " (look at that! proof that price ceilings push people to use 3rd party)

" Price controls maintained for long periods are especially inefficient."

" Some people view such redistributions as worth the inefficiency price controls create. Nevertheless, price ceilings create shortages"

"Meanwhile, those with better means went to one of the many black markets which flourished within the Soviet Union and bought what they needed there."

WOW!!!! Right out of the textbooks is exactly what how price ceilings are effecting Diablo 3's economy.

http://www.amazon.com/Concise-Encyclopedia-Economics-David-Henderson/dp/0865976651

2nd version, 2008 by David R. Henderson

Articles are written by the most respected economists in their fields, including many Nobel Prize winners.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 5/13/2013 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Chillaxin
This is correct. The maximum bid on the gold Auction House is 2 billion gold.

This needs to be raised or increased. Many items are not available to players who don't want to use 3rd party thanks to this cap.

This means that if an upgrade for you is worth more than 2billion gold, you can't find it for sale in your own game. And 2 billion gold is quite cheap to get these days.

Also, there are many times when there are items that have been BID up to 2 billion gold and players would like to bid higher but can't. This creates the scenario where the fastest player to see the auction is the winner instead of the player who was willing to bid the highest. This is a severe flaw for an auction system.

Also, if players were able to bid higher, more gold would be deleted from the economy via the 15% Tax. We desperately need this.

Cheap to get 2 billion? How many hours of farming does it take to accumulate 2 billion gold? In over 700 hours of play, I've seen only a small fraction of 2 billion.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
The price ceiling hurts casuals.

Casual player finds an item worth 20-40 billion... lists it on the auctionhouse and gets 2billion gold for it, thinks they've hit the jackpot, the buyer relists it on a third party site and gets the 40b price...

I dont think they will remove the ceiling [or floor price for gold either] as that will show the average player how little gold they have in the scheme of things when items hit 40b bid on the AH.

Cheap to get 2 billion? How many hours of farming does it take to accumulate 2 billion gold? In over 700 hours of play, I've seen only a small fraction of 2 billion.

Perhaps you need to learn from recent lessons and abuse market instability and bugs... see recent post by Mr. Hight.
Edited by MyzTiKaL#6686 on 5/13/2013 4:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:27 PMPosted by Otis
Cheap to get 2 billion?

Well, I've played when 2billion gold was worth over $1,000 so our gold price cap was a non-issue.

Now that 2billion gold is worth about $40, the gold price cap is pushing more and more items off the market so no players can find those items on the auction house.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 5/13/2013 4:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@ Otis

That's because the guys asking for this aren't accumulating it, they buy it. I'm with you, I recently hit 100mil for the first time, I never spent a real cent beyond the original purchase price.

Add to that the cheaters who are now super rich, and you have people who either paid to win or cheated to win who now want the auction house to reflect their higher income.

They could care less if it means normal players like you and I can't compete. It's all a bit frustrating to be honest.

I'll probably never see 2 billion, if prices rise 5x I'm barely going to be able to play inferno. AND THEN the same guys demanding this will complain about how all these lower dps characters are holding them back, simply because we don't have 20 billion to spend.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:27 PMPosted by Otis

This is implied you work from the ground up building your gold wealth via pick up. You forget that high end items have a chance to drop for everyone; allowing people to jump in this gold-wealth.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Chillaxin
Cheap to get 2 billion?

Well, I've played when 2billion gold was worth over $1,000 so our gold price cap was a non-issue.

Now that 2billion gold is worth about $40, the gold price cap is pushing more and more items off the market so no players can find those items in game.

You're not answering how you feel 2 billion is so easy to come by, sir. How many hours of farming in game does it take to acquire this sum (or more)?
Reply Quote

This is implied you work from the ground up building your gold wealth via pick up. You forget that high end items have a chance to drop for everyone; allowing people to jump in this gold-wealth.

Not everyone sees these once in a lifetime items you speak of.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:31 PMPosted by SaphironX
That's because the guys asking for this aren't accumulating it, they buy it.

No, I would never spend real money on a video game. I am an expert trader. That is how I have billions. Being an expert at trade is an extremely valuable skill to have for any online RPG.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:33 PMPosted by Otis

Thousands of items have sold for over 2 billion gold.

That means thousands of players have found items worth over 2 billion gold.

Simple, really. I do hope you're one of the next lucky players!
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 5/13/2013 4:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard can't set the AH cap based on the assumption that every player is a greed filled flipper. That would be ridiculous.
Reply Quote

Which further proves the whole point of why high-end items are in so much demand, their supply is extremely low and gold extremely abundant; hence their justified value on the market. You slowly build wealth by finding next to high end items (mid-to-high tier). The AH cap does nothing to keep the price of such items bellow 2b. They sell for more regardless of the artificial cap.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
@ Otis

That's because the guys asking for this aren't accumulating it, they buy it. I'm with you, I recently hit 100mil for the first time, I never spent a real cent beyond the original purchase price.

Add to that the cheaters who are now super rich, and you have people who either paid to win or cheated to win who now want the auction house to reflect their higher income.

They could care less if it means normal players like you and I can't compete. It's all a bit frustrating to be honest.

I'll probably never see 2 billion, if prices rise 5x I'm barely going to be able to play inferno. AND THEN the same guys demanding this will complain about how all these lower dps characters are holding them back, simply because we don't have 20 billion to spend.

Unfortunately you are ill equipped to participate in this argument...

If you dont understand the following:

Every person in the game who has played inferno act 3 for more than 100 hours has found an item worth more than 2b [most simply didnt recognise it and either underpriced it or discarded it]

You think that 2b is the price for the best items in the game [it is not, even a really good item can be worth 3-5b, the best items are 40+]

You think everyone with ingame wealth has "bought" it.

You as a casual player want to compete with full time traders in terms of wealth..

You think that raising the ceiling will make average items worth 5x more [sigh]
Edited by MyzTiKaL#6686 on 5/13/2013 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Otis
Blizzard can't set the AH cap based on the assumption that every player is a greed filled flipper. That would be ridiculous.

It is not greed to want the buyer who is willing to pay the highest win an auction.

Having a system where the fastest player to see the auction wins the auction is unfair.

It is also greedy for players to want players to sell 2billion gold items and 10 billion gold items for the same price when the 10 billion gold item is a LOT RARE. We want fair trades in game.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Bluthium
The AH cap does nothing to keep the price of such items bellow 2b. They sell for more regardless of the artificial cap.

+1. This man understands.
Reply Quote
@ Otis

This game is designed expressly as an AH flipping sim. Where's the beef? :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]