Impossible to get some items in AH

05/13/2013 04:42 PMPosted by Otis

+1. This man understands.

-2. Neither one of you understands.

I'm done.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:41 PMPosted by Otis
This game is designed expressly as an AH flipping sim. Where's the beef? :D

Please take your opinions elsewhere. Many players play and love the game, and this particular discussion is titled "impossible to get some items in AH"

Because of the price ceiling. That sentence is 100% true. There is no benefit from the price ceiling. It is a fact that the price ceiling has no ability to control prices like you desperately wish it did. The price ceiling only has drawbacks. Now is a time where we desperately need to use the 15% gold AH tax to its full potential.
Reply Quote

-2. Neither one of you understands.

I'm done.

Can't say I blame you, sir. These flippers are tough to debate things with.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:46 PMPosted by Chillaxin
This game is designed expressly as an AH flipping sim. Where's the beef? :D

Please take your opinions elsewhere. Many players play and love the game, and this particular discussion is titled "impossible to get some items in AH"

Because of the price ceiling. That sentence is 100% true. There is no benefit from the price ceiling. It is a fact that the price ceiling has no ability to control prices like you desperately wish it did. The price ceiling only has drawbacks. Now is a time where we desperately need to use the 15% gold AH tax to its full potential.

The only way to get all of the items back on the AH is to completely remove the cap. Moving it up to another arbitrary number, be it 4 billion, 10 billion, 20 billion, or whatever else, will only set the top items higher than the cap number, and the lower items will rise in price as well.

The high end items will ALWAYS be sold 3rd party because of the GREED.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:56 PMPosted by Otis
and the lower items will rise in price as well.

That is completely untrue. Anywhere you go to learn economy will teach you otherwise. In an earlier post I gave a source where it proves that price ceilings have no effect when placed higher than an item's equilibrium price.

This means if the item is worth 100mil, and the price ceiling is 2 billion. Raising the cap to 4 billion has no effect on the 100 mil item.

In every scenario, price ceiling have no control over the price of items under the ceiling. The only thing the price ceiling does is make it so items above the ceiling have to be sold at other places. This has huge drawbacks of not allowing players to find those items AND not using the 15% gold cap on the most expensive items. This hurts everyone who uses gold.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 5/13/2013 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
I'm fully expecting the AH cap to be significantly raised or removed in an upcoming patch.

There are no good items on the GAH any more because they're either:

a. On the RMAH
b. Being sold on 3rd party sites that don't have a max-bid cap for gold transactions.

So for now the cheapest way to buy items for real money is to buy gems, sell on GAH for gold, then buy the item you want from one of those 3rd party sites. Obviously this is not a sustainable system, and will crash in a matter of a couple weeks once the supply of gems dwindles and the prices go up for them beyond some breaking point (I couldn't say what this breaking point is). Then people will stop buying gems and either buy gold directly again, or buy from those 3rd party sites directly.

In the end the only way to for Blizzard to keep the auction houses alive in any way is to remove the cap so items can be sold for their true values.
Reply Quote
Moving it up to another arbitrary number, be it 4 billion, 10 billion, 20 billion

Lets use a simple example.

We have items A through Z.

Item-B is more expensive than Item-A. Item-C is more expensive than Item-B. This process continues through item-Z where Item-Z is a perfect item.

Buyers have proven to pay 2 billion gold for Item-S.

Thanks to the gold cap, Players can only find Item-A through Item-S on the auction house. Item-T through Item-Z are sold 3rd party because all those items are more expensive than Item-S (2 billion)

The players who want the cap to be removed want to be able to purchase Item-T through Item-Z without having to risk going 3rd party. We don't want to use 3rd party in order to get these items.

Item-A through Item-S are the only items available on the auction house.

The main reason the people are against the cap is because they feel raising the cap will cause Item-A through Item-S to raise in price and this is completely untrue!!

1.) Raising the cap allows players to be able to find ALL items on the auction house including Item-T through Item-Z.
2.) Raising the cap allows the AH gold sink to be used to its full potential. We all know it would sink billions of gold out of the economy daily.
3.) Sinking gold out of the economy makes gold worth more.
4.) Gold being worth more lowers prices.
5.) Lower prices means over time less items will be worth over 2 billion gold.
6.) Raising the cap keeps legitimate players away from 3rd party.
7.) Raising the cap reduces risk of scams.
8.) Raising the cap reduces risk of account compromises.
9.) Less scams and less account compromises means less gold in the hands of 3rd party/hackers.
10.) Raising the cap allows players to sell godly items they find for the price that buyers are willing to pay without risk.

There are at least 10 benefits to raising the cap. Players who are against raising the cap are against it because they think that raising the cap would raise the price on items currently on the AH which is completely untrue.
Reply Quote
View profile

The only way to get all of the items back on the AH is to completely remove the cap. Moving it up to another arbitrary number, be it 4 billion, 10 billion, 20 billion, or whatever else, will only set the top items higher than the cap number, and the lower items will rise in price as well.

How exactly would raising the cap, make it easier for those who need even a minor upgrade in gear ?

I mean, a 'decent' upgrade for me, is going to cost dearly, way waaaaaaaaaay past my ability to pay for it, so I fail to see the logic in raising a cap that is going to likely increase the cost of said items, making it even harder for me/anyone else, to attain said item. You really haven't followed the course of high end earners vs those near the bottom in this capitalistic society we call America, have you ;)
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:05 PMPosted by Chillaxin
and the lower items will rise in price as well.

That is completely untrue. Anywhere you go to learn economy will teach you otherwise. In an earlier post I gave a source where it proves that price ceilings have no effect when placed higher than an item's equilibrium price.

This means if the item is worth 100mil, and the price ceiling is 2 billion. Raising the cap to 4 billion has no effect on the 100 mil item.

In every scenario, price ceiling have no control over the price of items under the ceiling. The only thing the price ceiling does is make it so items above the ceiling have to be sold at other places. This has huge drawbacks of not allowing players to find those items AND not using the 15% gold cap on the most expensive items. This hurts everyone who uses gold.

I'll doubt your library book was siting examples from the Greedablo. This isn't a real world economy and has none of the nuances that effect a REAL economy either.

All prices for everything placed on the AH (aside from the completely worthless garbage) have risen steadily since release and will continue to do so once the cap is either raised or removed.
Reply Quote
View profile
Top Quote:

Yes, proxy bidding does mean the person bidding way over the top amounts will get the item for less. They are not paying what they bid are they? (That 1st paragraph made me laugh)

If people had to pay what they bid they wouldnt be so willing to bid as much would they?

Your argument is a bit off.

Bottom Quote:

Why do ppl with the most money need credits? LOL are you a republican?

Because the money system in an on-line game can be hacked, bought, etc etc etc as per example with the AH just recently.

Both quotes:

Again if ppl pay'ed what they bid, flipping would be reduced (and a huge number of ppl want this as indicated through-out this forum)

The AH's should have never been included in this game in the 1st place. (Even offiicals at Blizzard have stated this). That tells everyone there are huge issue and complaints yet nothing about the AH has been changed or updated.

Neither one of you can honestly say that if the RMAH didnt exist those prices would be anywhere near as high. (if you do you know you're lying.)

A game about money and nothing but money causes aggravation to the majority. (READ THESE FORUMS)

Whats the old saying: If nothing changes, nothing changes.

You still fail to see how proxy bidding works. The only difference between regular bidding and proxy bidding is you dont have to sit there watching the bids to see if you have the highest bid. Example:

Regular bidding:
You have a max bid you willing to go to in mind.

1. You bid a small increment.
2. Someone else does the same.
3. Rinse and repeat until you reach you or the other person reaches max bid at which time either you or he gets it at the minimum increment over his last bid.

Regular snipe bidding:

1. Hardly anyone bids.
2. Everyone puts in a last second snipe bid in the hopes that they guessed right and was the highest of the lowball bids.

Proxy bidding:

1. Everyone puts in their max bid.
2. Winner gets the item at the minimum increment over the next highest bid.

Proxy snipe bidding:

1. You can try to snipe low but you have no idea what someones max bid is and may get overbid by the proxy immediately.

As you can see the only difference between regular bidding and proxy bidding is you dont have to sit there and repeat small incremental bids until you reach someones max bid. Essentially just saves bidders time by not having to watch the auction and redo their bids everytime they are outbid. And the difference between regular snipe bidding and proxy snipe bidding is that the snipers have to bid higher than the highest max bid to win. Either way proxy is better.

As far as if they should have implemented the AH or RMAH or not is irrelevant. Whether they did it or some third party sites built it doesnt matter. It would be there as part of the game or part of black market third party sites like it was in D2. You cant stop it. They figured they may as well try to regulate it and profit from making it part of the game. Now some of them think otherwise. That doesnt matter either. Because again it would be there in one form or another. The prices would not change. The only change would be where you had to go to find the items.
Reply Quote
i agree that there should be a write up in game about how the bidding system works...its not hard...its just ...not well written about....

Elective mode is basically the stupidest thing I have ever seen.
is that the one that allows you to place the skills you want where you want them?

WoW is one of the most configurable GUIs ever dreamt up. the teeny tiny sliver of innovation that just barely managed to trickle down from WoW to D3 is an embarrassment to be honest...
Reply Quote
@Chillaxin

Dude stop. He's trolling you. Not worth the effort. Even if he legitimately doesn't comprehend basic economy, you'll never be able to actually teach him over the internet.
Reply Quote

How exactly would raising the cap, make it easier for those who need even a minor upgrade in gear ?

I mean, a 'decent' upgrade for me, is going to cost dearly, way waaaaaaaaaay past my ability to pay for it, so I fail to see the logic in raising a cap that is going to likely increase the cost of said items, making it even harder for me/anyone else, to attain said item. You really haven't followed the course of high end earners vs those near the bottom in this capitalistic society we call America, have you ;)

It won't make it easier, IMO. It will make everything go up. This is due to the several layers of flippers every item goes through.

I'm with you, man. I'm on your side!
Edited by Otis#1467 on 5/13/2013 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Chillaxin

Dude stop. He's trolling you. Not worth the effort. Even if he legitimately doesn't comprehend basic economy, you'll never be able to actually teach him over the internet.

I don't understand IRL economy, but I DO know how Flipablo works. I fight for the little guy. The 'every man'. For truth!
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Otis
This isn't a real world economy

Price ceilings work have the exact same drawbacks in real world economy as they do in the virtual economy. Making the economy virtual did not change the facts of supply/demand ;)

All prices for everything placed on the AH (aside from the completely worthless garbage) have risen steadily since release

This is completely untrue and we have proof. Many items that sold for $250 in the first few months of Diablo3 won't even sell for $1 today. Inferior, Sub-par gear, and even good gear slowly lose value every single day. I'll give you real examples:

Weapon - spear 834.6dps, 119 vit, 72% crit socket I sold this for $40 pre 1.0.4 and its not even worth $1 today.

amulet - 40% mf 170 int 25-35dmg 6.5%crit I sold this for $24 pre 1.0.4 and its not even worth $1 today.

ring - 150 dex, 165 vit, 20% gf I sold this for $30 pre 1.0.4 and its not even worth $1 today.

shoulders - 190dex, 145vit, 99int, 12life I sold these for $9 during patch 1.0.6 and its not even worth $1 today.

dark mage's shade - wizard hat - 225int, 36vit, 3crit, 10arconcrit, 2explosiveblast I sold this for $9 during patch 1.0.6 and its not worth $1 today.

Most items prices are dropping. But the items in high demand stay high price.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Projektalice
Every person in the game who has played inferno act 3 for more than 100 hours has found an item worth more than 2b [most simply didnt recognise it and either underpriced it or discarded it]

This statement here. Thanks for that. It's been awhile since I've had such a good laugh. :)

Not trying to be rude but, most people know the value of items in this game. You simply have to look at what the average asking price is for similar items and see which ones actually sell.

I've played roughly 700 hours in act III Inferno, and I've never found an item worth 2 billion - not even close. The best item I've ever sold was worth 1.5 million. I've found a few things worth maybe a little bit more but kept them for my own heroes. Very few people find anything of value. Yes, there are a lot of high-end items on the AH and RMAH but these come mostly from bots and multiboxers.

Not sure what you base this statement on.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:14 PMPosted by Bluthium

Its fine, his rage against flippers gives free bumps to the thread in hopes for a higher chance that CM's see the problem that the price ceiling is causing. We all know Otis isn't being serious as he has been proven to lie and troll in other threads.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:24 PMPosted by Chillaxin
This isn't a real world economy

Price ceilings work have the exact same drawbacks in real world economy as they do in the virtual economy. Making the economy virtual did not change the facts of supply/demand ;)

All prices for everything placed on the AH (aside from the completely worthless garbage) have risen steadily since release

This is completely untrue and we have proof. Many items that sold for $250 in the first few months of Diablo3 won't even sell for $1 today. Inferior, Sub-par gear, and even good gear slowly lose value every single day. I'll give you real examples:

Weapon - spear 834.6dps, 119 vit, 72% crit socket I sold this for $40 pre 1.0.4 and its not even worth $1 today.

amulet - 40% mf 170 int 25-35dmg 6.5%crit I sold this for $24 pre 1.0.4 and its not even worth $1 today.

ring - 150 dex, 165 vit, 20% gf I sold this for $30 pre 1.0.4 and its not even worth $1 today.

shoulders - 190dex, 145vit, 99int, 12life I sold these for $9 during patch 1.0.6 and its not even worth $1 today.

dark mage's shade - wizard hat - 225int, 36vit, 3crit, 10arconcrit, 2explosiveblast I sold this for $9 during patch 1.0.6 and its not worth $1 today.

Most items prices are dropping. But the items in high demand stay high price.

I'll agree with you about the examples you've given here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]