Diablo® III

Impossible to get some items in AH

View profile

How exactly would raising the cap, make it easier for those who need even a minor upgrade in gear ?

I mean, a 'decent' upgrade for me, is going to cost dearly, way waaaaaaaaaay past my ability to pay for it, so I fail to see the logic in raising a cap that is going to likely increase the cost of said items, making it even harder for me/anyone else, to attain said item. You really haven't followed the course of high end earners vs those near the bottom in this capitalistic society we call America, have you ;)

It won't make it easier, IMO. It will make everything go up. This is due to the several layers of flippers every item goes through.

I'm with you, man. I'm on your side!

:) Argh my bad sorry,,well ok then chap , buds unite! ;0-0
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:26 PMPosted by Chillaxin
Dude stop. He's trolling you. Not worth the effort. Even if he legitimately doesn't comprehend basic economy, you'll never be able to actually teach him over the internet.

Its fine, his rage against flippers gives free bumps to the thread in hopes for a higher chance that CM's see the problem that the price ceiling is causing. We all know Otis isn't being serious as he has been proven to lie and troll in other threads.

I never lie or troll! I've made booboos occasionally
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:21 PMPosted by Otis
I fight for the little guy. The 'every man'. For truth!

How dare you claim to be virtuous. I'm the one fighting the good fight for the sake of everyone who uses gold. The price ceiling has serious drawbacks such as not letting the 15% gold tax get used. Even if you are the little guy, your gold is worth a lot less thanks to the price ceiling. A better gold sink makes every piece of gold you find worth more.

I use facts in my debate and even gave examples from Nobel prize winners. The only thing on your side of the debate is your personal hunch. Price ceilings do not work the way you think they do. In fact, the price ceiling is hurting you by not allowing the 15% gold tax to be used on the top trades.

If you truly care about the little guy, being in favor of the price ceiling hurts yourself.
Reply Quote

It won't make it easier, IMO. It will make everything go up. This is due to the several layers of flippers every item goes through.

I'm with you, man. I'm on your side!

:) Argh my bad sorry,,well ok then chap , buds unite! ;0-0

You & I can take on these darned flippers! *high five*
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:33 PMPosted by Otis
I never lie or troll!

But we have proof that this is a common practice for you:

05/03/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Otis
I've been making a 7 figure salary as the vice president of a well known multinational law firm for upwards of a dozen years now

05/05/2013 06:46 AMPosted by Otis
will result in a forum ban. Take some time to study the CoC while you're away.

05/03/2013 10:51 PMPosted by Otis
In that case, I'm confident your account will also be banned.

05/03/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Otis
I believe a bans will be handed out
Reply Quote
4.) Gold being worth more lowers prices.

I'll disagree on this point.

You forgot about 'flippers'.
You know the people:
they buy Item A and resell it at Item B's price by setting minimum bid = buyout.

If blizz is going to remove the 2B cap, they will need to add a 'minimum bid' cap (eg 10% of buyout) otherwise Item A will eventually be worth more than Item S. (and Item S is now worth 10T)
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Otis
It will make everything go up.

Price ceilings do not have the ability to make everything go up in price no matter what the ceiling amount is set at. This isn't a matter of opinion, it is a proven fact of economy and how price ceilings work.
Reply Quote
Hi Vaeflare,

Is my understanding of 2bil max bid incorrect?
This is correct. The maximum bid on the gold Auction House is 2 billion gold.

Vaeflare, IF ONLY instead of calling it 2 billion gold, you called it Two BEEZ. There would have been a screen shot followed by PDF for T-Shirt Printing, and internet memeing.

You would have become more powerful than any forum moderator that has ever moderated forums.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:35 PMPosted by DogBone
Item A will eventually be worth more than Item S

Here is the misconception.

How flipping actually works:

1.) Purchase an item that is way under equilibrium price (the price buyers are willing to pay for it)
2.) Relist the item for at or slightly under the equlibrium price (a decent deal to get a buyer and undercut competition)

If an item is listed above equilibrium price (the price buyers are willing to pay for it) it won't sell until the flipper ultimately lowers the price to equilibrium price or lower. Flippers can't mind control buyers. I could find an item with unique stats like a pair of pants with 50 dex, 298vit, 7yard pickup radius, and 2 sockets and see that it has No competition for that item and list the item for 2 billion. It will not sell because clearly there is not enough demand for the item. I have to lower the price until it reaches the equilibrium price.

TLDR: Items priced too high don't sell.

People who think flippers cause the prices that things sell at to raise in price have a misconception to how supply/demand really works. Oh and you can't forget there is always competition. Competition causes decreases in prices for the consumer. That is a fact.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 5/13/2013 5:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Using the AH as an investment vehicle is against the terms of use and is a bannable offence
Reply Quote
I am pretty sure that someone has a bot for AH and this is really annoying.. I am try to by a weapon for my WD but I am not able to get it..

1: I bid 1.xxx.xxx, message is bid too low
2: I bid 1.xxx.xxx, message is bid too low
3: I bid 1.xxx.xxx, message is bid too low
4: I bid 2.000.000, message is bid too low and the price is 2.000.000
5: I bid 2.112.345, message is bid too low and the price is 2.112.345
6: I bid 2.412.345, message is bid too low and the price is 2.412.345
7: I bid 3.000.000, message is bid too low and the price is 3.000.000
8: I bid 8.500.000, message is bid too low and the price is 8.500.000

Don’t tell me that someone is thinking the exact same as me a bid 1 sec before me.

/facepalm

L2Proxybid

Every single one of your chars /facepalm
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 05:46 PMPosted by Otis
Using the AH as an investment vehicle is against the terms of use and is a bannable offence

Flipping items is not legally an investment vehicle. Buying and relisting items on either auction house is also not a bannable offence. If you're worried about the Terms of service, here it is straight from blizzard:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-general-information#q20

"Once you've purchased an item and sent it to your stash, you can do anything with it that you could if you had acquired it through your own adventures. You’re free to use it yourself, or trade it to another character or relist it in either the gold-based or real-money auction house. In fact, you can generally do any combination of these things."
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 5/13/2013 6:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How flipping actually works:

1.) Purchase an item that is way under equilibrium price (the price buyers are willing to pay for it)
2.) Relist the item for at or slightly under the equlibrium price (a decent deal to get a buyer and undercut competition)

That is not the only kind of flipper. That kind of flipper may sort on Time Left and snipe good deals that were very recently posted (1d 12h left) and were priced well beyond their true market value. I have no problem with that kind, since the item should have been priced at normal market and it was their good fortune to find such a deal.

The scummiest flippers are the ones that snipe items at the end of an auction that had no buyout and then immediately reprice them with a buyout at a significant markup. The item sold at the true market price since it had no buyout. Of course the item usually won't sell immediately at the new ridiculous price and the flipper gradually reduces the price but always ensuring they will still make a profit after the 15% cut. Items at the high end appear on the AH so rarely that players with the most gold can control the supply thereby artificially raising demand by capitalizing on players' impatience.

So as a rule of thumb, never buy at the buyout unless you are quite certain it is reasonable. Chances are the buyout is way above market.
Edited by Fatum#1415 on 5/13/2013 6:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you're buying items from the AH with no intention of using them in game and only as an investment with the intent of re-listing at an inflated price = investment vehicle.

Use your time away from the game to reflect and reinvent.

Be well.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Otis
If you're buying items from the AH with no intention of using them in game and only as an investment with the intent of re-listing at an inflated price = investment vehicle.

When it comes to defining what an investment vehicle is Diablo 3, the ultimate judge is Blizzard. Otis does not create rules.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-general-information#q20

"Once you've purchased an item and sent it to your stash, you can do anything with it that you could if you had acquired it through your own adventures. You’re free to use it yourself, or trade it to another character or relist it in either the gold-based or real-money auction house. In fact, you can generally do any combination of these things."

Since blizzard allows players to relist items not matter what their intent is this means by blizzard's very own defintion of investment vehicle, flipping items do not fall in that category.

Simple equation really:

A = Investment Vehicle
B = Against the rules
C = Flipping

A = B
C =/= B

Since C cannot equal B and B equals A. Then C cannot equal A.

Since flipping is not against the rules, it cannot be considered an investment vehicle. This is because investment vehicles are against the rules and flipping is not.
Reply Quote

Use your time away from the game to reflect and reinvent.

Be well.

A+++ trolling effort. Oh, wait, no, that's terrible, because you're way too obvious.
Reply Quote
I love how people automatically assume something is broken when they don't understand how it works.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 06:12 PMPosted by Fatum
The scummiest flippers are the ones that snipe items at the end of an auction that had no buyout and then immediately reprice them with a buyout at a significant markup.

It is a shame that you think this, because that is what a lot of normal expert traders do, including myself. Many items get sold for under equilibrium price in the auction setting. There is many reasons for this but that is an entire separate topic.

05/13/2013 06:12 PMPosted by Fatum
The item sold at the true market price since it had no buyout.

This is completely not true and especially not true in real life auctions. Entire cars get purchases via auctions for significantly less than the true market price. One of the main factors that causes these amazing deals is they don't have a high profile. The amount of potential buyers who are willing to watch and for auctions is significantly less than the players who are willing to use "buy-it-now". The difference is extreme. I would say at least 99% of the potential buyers are more willing to use "buy-it-now" then wait for an auction to expire.

So the main reason these items sell for under market value is because it has less than 1% of the population viewing them. It also requires at least 2 players willing to pay market value in order for the item to be sold at market value. Afterall, if 1 player is willing to pay market value and no one is around to bid him up to that price, he will be able to buy the item for a lot less than market value.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Chillaxin.. Would love to get some of your discussion in the thread I just posted about gold sinks and the AH ceiling.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796451061
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 06:48 PMPosted by Projektalice
Chillaxin.. Would love to get some of your discussion in the thread I just posted about gold sinks and the AH ceiling.

Yes. Get the "Expert Trader" in there :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]