Diablo® III

If Duped Gold is Traced to Your Account >> Rollback

Blizzard can easily see anyone and everyone that used the exploit yesterday. They flag those accounts. Then they look through the logs for each of those accounts... if those accounts had any transactions or interactions with other accounts... those accounts are flagged. They then look at those accounts... if those accounts had any transactions or interactions with other accounts... those accounts are flagged. This process will continue until no more accounts get flagged.

Then Blizzard does a rollback on all the accounts that got flagged.

This isn't a very hard concept to understand... its also not a very hard process to execute. The hard part is the time and resources that Blizzard has to invest into doing this.
Reply Quote
Blizzard can easily see anyone and everyone that used the exploit yesterday. They flag those accounts. Then they look through the logs for each of those accounts... if those accounts had any transactions or interactions with other accounts... those accounts are flagged. They then look at those accounts... if those accounts had any transactions or interactions with other accounts... those accounts are flagged. This process will continue until no more accounts get flagged.

Then Blizzard does a rollback on all the accounts that got flagged.

This isn't a very hard concept to understand... its also not a very hard process to execute. The hard part is the time and resources that Blizzard has to invest into doing this.

What about everyone that sold gems? I assume they are going to get rolled back then?

They should just do a complete rollback, wayyyyy too much manpower required to do all this.
Reply Quote
The time would be better invested in coding correctly
Reply Quote
The smart ones took their piles of RS gems and met a friend in a public game. They then dumped those gems on the ground. The friend is freely/happily holding hundreds of billions in gold worth of RS gems right now and Blizz is none the wiser. I hope this is not the case.

Should have been a full rollback.

I missed the fun, but at least my profits in the game are sitting in USD and not the worthless gold.
Reply Quote
What about everyone that sold gems? I assume they are going to get rolled back then?

They should just do a complete rollback, wayyyyy too much manpower required to do all this.

Yes. The only people who were buying gems yesterday for ridiculous prices were people duping gold. Therefore if you sold gems for hundreds of millions of gold yesterday... it was to a duper. Blizzard will know that. All of that will be reversed.

It isn't a complex process... it will just take time. They will start with every account that exploited... and by the end of it... who knows how many... but a lot of accounts will be flagged for rollbacks. There will be a lot of people mad about missing progress...items...gold...etc... but the amount of people mad won't be anywhere near the amount of people mad if they did a full server roll back.
Reply Quote
The smart ones took their piles of RS gems and met a friend in a public game. They then dumped those gems on the ground. The friend is freely/happily holding hundreds of billions in gold worth of RS gems right now and Blizz is none the wiser. I hope this is not the case.

Should have been a full rollback.

I missed the fun, but at least my profits in the game are sitting in USD and not the worthless gold.

The logs will show you dropping gems on the ground and show your friend picking those gems up. Both your accounts will be flagged and rollbacks will be initiated.
Reply Quote
You think Blizzard cares? They could have easily done the same with botters but then that would take away from their proffit.
Reply Quote
I can tell you, that people who sold gems that day, will get a rollback.
My account is under suspension atm and the only thing I did yesterday was sell my stash of gems. I hope they hurry and do it already, I'm losing some sweet farming time right now =p.

P.S. I won't be mad about a rollback
Edited by Juicyfer#1742 on 5/8/2013 4:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You think Blizzard cares? They could have easily done the same with botters but then that would take away from their proffit.

No. It doesn't work that way. Detecting botters isn't as easy as looking at a log and see who duped gold via RMAH yesterday.
Reply Quote
I can tell you, that people who sold gems that day, will get a rollback.
My account is under suspension atm and the only thing I did yesterday was sell my stash of gems. I hope they hurry and do it already, I'm losing some sweet farming time right now =p.

P.S. I won't be mad about a rollback

Exactly. Thanks for adding this to the thread. They are starting with the dupers... then they are seeing where the gold went. A lot of the gold was used to by gems. So if a duper bought your gems... your account will be flagged and you will get a rollback. If you used that gold to buy any items or traded to other people... those people will also be flagged for rollback.
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 5/8/2013 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
player 1
- dupe gold
- buy gems
- sell gems in RMAH

player 2
- sell gems
- craft

so player 2 gets a rollback, easy enough to follow... but what about:

player 3
- dupe gold
- buy gems
- make game invite unrelated account
- drop gems

player 4
- join game
- pick up untrace-able gems

player 4 won't get flagged, player 3 may get banned/deleted, but the real money is in player 4's hands now. Unless they state otherwise, so far Blizzard has only mentioned that they are looking at AH trades and gold trades in the AH/RMAH. This is why people are asking for a full rollback, to catch player 4's that have items/money that blizzard isn't talking about.
Reply Quote
player 1
- dupe gold
- buy gems
- sell gems in RMAH

player 2
- sell gems
- craft

so player 2 gets a rollback, easy enough to follow... but what about:

player 3
- dupe gold
- buy gems
- make game invite unrelated account
- drop gems

player 4
- join game
- pick up untrace-able gems

player 4 won't get flagged, player 3 may get banned/deleted, but the real money is in player 4's hands now. Unless they state otherwise, so far Blizzard has only mentioned that they are looking at AH trades and gold trades in the AH/RMAH. This is why people are asking for a full rollback, to catch player 4's that have items/money that blizzard isn't talking about.

What makes you think dropping items on the ground is untraceable?

The simple fact that you entered a game that a known duper or associate of a duper was in could be enough for Blizzard to flag you... let alone what you guys even did in said game.

05/08/2013 04:42 PMPosted by Glock
so far Blizzard has only mentioned that they are looking at AH trades and gold trades in the AH/RMAH.

Source? (I'm pretty sure you paraphrased that to your advantage.) Why else would they have locked gold trading via in game trade window?
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 5/8/2013 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I hope you're right Glock. I don't have as much faith in Blizzard as you do though.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Ramshackle
I hope you're right Glock. I don't have as much faith in Blizzard as you do though.

Whether they achieve it or not... who knows. But the process to do this isn't that hard. That's all I want to make clear :D
Reply Quote
I'm going off:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770118014

They don't mention tracing item drop transactions. It's impressive they even track gold transations of in-game trades (and interesting that they didn't seem to use this to fix mouse-click scammers early on, or perhaps they developed this tracking after that happened, who knows).

I'm also going on the fact that they haven't blocked item trading or item dropping, so that tells me they can't or won't do anything about that - though I hope they do. (ie, players can, right now, keep moving il-gotten items to different accounts.)
Reply Quote
you do realize this relies on blizzard having backup from the time game servers were offline.
any older backup used for account rollbacks = blizzard will be creating dupes themselves, like they did for almost a year with account rollback duping.
thats far worse than a clean slate full server rollback.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

Yes. The only people who were buying gems yesterday for ridiculous prices were people duping gold. Therefore if you sold gems for hundreds of millions of gold yesterday... it was to a duper. Blizzard will know that. All of that will be reversed.

In a vain attempt to offload some of my completely devalued gold [which I had amassed before the debacle yesterday] I purchased some overinflated gems ... based on my calculations of gold price they were actually underpriced in gold terms.. .I spent my entire wealth on these gems assuming that they would be the only thing to retain a "true" value.

I now have less than a hundred million .. but I have many many RS Gems...

I still have these currently.. [this means they HAVE NOT reversed transactions affected by yesterday's events]

If my gems are removed and my gold reimbursed then I will assume that they "got" every transaction... I doubt very much that they will be.. and the people I bought gems from will retain a sizeable chunk of pre-patch wealth.....

UPDATES:

> 5/8/13 4:15 p.m. PDT: In order to allow auctions posted yesterday to expire naturally, we've decided to keep the gold and real-money Auction House in maintenance mode until tomorrow morning. We're currently targeting 10:00 a.m. PDT, but will provide an update for everyone at 9:00 a.m. PDT. At that point, we'll be able to give a much more solid ETA as to when the service will be up and running.

Gold trades are still disabled for the time being. Once we have an ETA for those being re-activated, we'll provide another update in this thread, as well.

Sounds to me very much like they've just about concluded what they were doing..

A lot of people are going to win some very cheap or very expensive auctions whilst the ah is in maintenance mode lol
Edited by MyzTiKaL#6686 on 5/8/2013 5:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
you do realize this relies on blizzard having backup from the time game servers were offline.
any older backup used for account rollbacks = blizzard will be creating dupes themselves, like they did for almost a year with account rollback duping.
thats far worse than a clean slate full server rollback.

You have no idea what you are talking about, sorry. But you don't.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 04:28 PMPosted by PowderBlue
The time would be better invested in coding correctly

You clearly do not understand that coding is a trial and error process. Mistakes can and do happen and often times it's linked to something that was either unforeseen or flat-out not tested prior to release into a live client.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RMAH disabled on the PTR?
Reply Quote
In a vain attempt to offload some of my completely devalued gold [which I had amassed before the debacle yesterday] I purchased some overinflated gems ... based on my calculations of gold price they were actually underpriced in gold terms.. .I spent my entire wealth on these gems assuming that they would be the only thing to retain a "true" value.

I now have less than a hundred million .. but I have many many RS Gems...

I still have these currently.. [this means they HAVE NOT reversed transactions affected by yesterday's events]

If my gems are removed and my gold reimbursed then I will assume that they "got" every transaction... I doubt very much that they will be.. and the people I bought gems from will retain a sizeable chunk of pre-patch wealth.....

Unfortunately you lost a ton of money. The only people who bought gems yesterday for the jacked up prices were people who were duping gold... thats why the prices went so high... the people were duping gold... the didn't care what they paid in gold. They just wanted the gems to sell on the RMAH.

Since you didn't use duped gold to buy the gems... and if the gems can't be traced to another flagged account... you are screwed.

You really fouled up, hate to say it.

Sounds to me very much like they've just about concluded what they were doing..

A lot of people are going to win some very cheap or very expensive auctions whilst the ah is in maintenance mode lol

Meh. That always happens when they take the AH down.
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 5/8/2013 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]