Diablo® III

If Duped Gold is Traced to Your Account >> Rollback

05/08/2013 05:01 PMPosted by Wurzelbert
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RMAH disabled on the PTR?

The Beta had an RMAH with "fake" money. I don't see why the PTR wouldn't have the same thing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

Unfortunately you lost a ton of money. The only people who bought gems yesterday for the jacked up prices were people who were duping gold... thats why the prices went so high... the people were duping gold... the didn't care what they paid in gold. They just wanted the gems to sell on the RMAH.

Since you didn't use duped gold to buy the gems... and if the gems can't be traced to another flagged account... you are screwed.

You really fouled up, hate to say it.

A risk I was [and still am] willing to take.. your faith in their ability to track borders on fanboi to me...

The amount of gems I bought could not have been obtained by someone without them participating in all the shenanigans yesterday... it will be interesting to see what happens.. I hope you are right, I hope that they get it all... but I am damned confident they wont.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 05:04 PMPosted by Glock
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RMAH disabled on the PTR?

The Beta had an RMAH with "fake" money. I don't see why the PTR wouldn't have the same thing.

I was in the beta and never saw this "fake" money RMAH you speak of. Was it in previous versions?
Reply Quote
I REALLY do hope you fix everything Blizz. Restore my faith please.
Reply Quote
'm going off:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770118014

They don't mention tracing item drop transactions. It's impressive they even track gold transations of in-game trades (and interesting that they didn't seem to use this to fix mouse-click scammers early on, or perhaps they developed this tracking after that happened, who knows).

I'm also going on the fact that they haven't blocked item trading or item dropping, so that tells me they can't or won't do anything about that - though I hope they do. (ie, players can, right now, keep moving il-gotten items to different accounts.)

I don't think the issue with "scams" was ever that they didn't have logs. It's just something that they have never done for this game. If you put items/gold in the trade window and hit accept... thats final. There was no exploit or anything... just human error.

As far as item drops... If the items were bought with duped gold... I don't see why it matters where the items end up. If the items came from a in game trade or an AH listing... they will be flagged for rollback.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 05:07 PMPosted by Wurzelbert

I was in the beta and never saw this "fake" money RMAH you speak of. Was it in previous versions?

It was definitely there. Everyone started with like 50.00 Beta Bucks. If you want Google "Diablo 3 Beta Bucks" ... I am sure you will get some results.
Reply Quote
Agree with all your points here, OP. It's good that you're keeping the folks informed
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 04:31 PMPosted by Glock
Yes. The only people who were buying gems yesterday for ridiculous prices were people duping gold. Therefore if you sold gems for hundreds of millions of gold yesterday... it was to a duper. Blizzard will know that. All of that will be reversed.

Can I get a blue source for this? Because you're talking out of your !@#.

They aren't going to reverse all those transactions, which means the market will still be flooded with duped gold. You really are just a fanboy clinging desperately to this hope that Blizzard's going to fix it, when it's completely obvious that they aren't going to even try.
Reply Quote
A risk I was [and still am] willing to take.. your faith in their ability to track borders on fanboi to me...

The amount of gems I bought could not have been obtained by someone without them participating in all the shenanigans yesterday... it will be interesting to see what happens.. I hope you are right, I hope that they get it all... but I am damned confident they wont.

A lot of people were legitimately selling their gems yesterday... if you got those you are stuck with the gems... I think.

However... there were people buying gems with duped gold to sell them on the RMAH. Then there were people who saw the prices of gems on the RMAH falling super low... and the prices of gems on the GAH sky rocketing... so people bought gems on the RMAH cheap to sell on the GAH. So... its quite possibly that you ended up with gems that were bought on the GAH... Sold on the RMAH... then relist on the GAH... where you bought them... but the chances of that compared to you buying legit gems... who knows. I hope for the best for you.
Reply Quote
how about shut up.
Reply Quote
you do realize this relies on blizzard having backup from the time game servers were offline.
any older backup used for account rollbacks = blizzard will be creating dupes themselves, like they did for almost a year with account rollback duping.
thats far worse than a clean slate full server rollback.

You have no idea what you are talking about, sorry. But you don't.

enlighten me then:

6.5.2013 00:00 player 1 has inventory full of items worth 200b
6.5.2013 03:00 server database backup created
7.5.2013 23:00 player 1 gives 200b worth of items to player 2
8.5.2013 10:00 player 1 exploits patch dupe
9.5.2013 blizzard tracks player 1 dupe action on 8.5.2013 10:00
9.5.2013 blizzard does account rollback to last available backup from 6.5.2013 03:00
10.5.2013 player 1 has account restored, his inventory is full of items worth 200b
10.5.2013 player 2 has untouched account > no rollback because he didnt participate in dupe bug
player 2 now has the same items worth 200b as player 1

and if you say this is impossible, this is how blizzard has been duping items through account rollbacks based on false "account hacked" claims.
and there seems to be evidence blizzard does not make daily backups (as claimed by people doing legitimate account rollback requests and getting responses like "no backup in last 72 hours")
Edited by Grave#2119 on 5/8/2013 5:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Glock, do you finally see the light?
Reply Quote
Can I get a blue source for this? Because you're talking out of your !@#.

They aren't going to reverse all those transactions, which means the market will still be flooded with duped gold. You really are just a fanboy clinging desperately to this hope that Blizzard's going to fix it, when it's completely obvious that they aren't going to even try.

Well apparently there were some people buying gems for 10x there value... one of them is in this thread. He only did it by confusion.

However, thats negligible. You just don't have a large enough grasp on the situation... I understand your ignorance. You can leave now.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 04:28 PMPosted by PowderBlue
The time would be better invested in coding correctly

Its not the fault of the programers, stuff like that can easily happen. Its the fault of the quality management. Their job is to make sure that bugs like that don't make it into the live realm.
Reply Quote
enlighten me then:

6.5.2013 00:00 player 1 has inventory full of items worth 200b
7.5.2013 23:00 player 1 gives 200b worth of items to player 2
8.5.2013 10:00 player 1 exploits patch dupe
9.5.2013 blizzard tracks player 1 dupe action on 8.5.2013 10:00
9.5.2013 blizzard does account rollback to last available backup from 6.5.2013 03:00
10.5.2013 player 1 has account restored, his inventory is full of items worth 200b
10.5.2013 player 2 has untouched account > no rollback because he didnt participate in dupe bug
player 2 now has the same items worth 200b as player 1

and if you say this is impossible, this is how blizzard has been duping items through account rollbacks based on false "account hacked" claims.
and there seems to be evidence blizzard does not make daily backups (as claimed by people doing legitimate account rollback requests and getting responses like "no backup in last 72 hours")

If you think they didn't back up everything the day of a patch you are mistaken. They have backups for everything yesterday right before the patch. And given the new rollback rules... even if that happened (which is unlikely given there was a patch and backups) those items would be account-bound.
Edited by BannedName#1439 on 5/8/2013 5:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well apparently there were some people buying gems for 10x there value... one of them is in this thread. He only did it by confusion.

However, thats negligible. You just don't have a large enough grasp on the situation... I understand your ignorance. You can leave now.

Keep your chin up, fanboy. Blizzard will let you know before too long that they're "done" "fixing" the problem, and then you can push your head a little deeper in the sand and try to ignore all those billions of duped gold still floating around, and ignore the auction house pricing. Hell, you're probably better off ignoring the AH, as you won't be able to buy anything any more anyway.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 05:15 PMPosted by Ukaer

Before a patch... you think the first step isn't to make backups ?
Reply Quote
Keep your chin up, fanboy. Blizzard will let you know before too long that they're "done" "fixing" the problem, and then you can push your head a little deeper in the sand and try to ignore all those billions of duped gold still floating around, and ignore the auction house pricing. Hell, you're probably better off ignoring the AH, as you won't be able to buy anything any more anyway.

If you really don't like Blizzard why are you here? Read my posts... I am merely stating how the process should work... not whether Blizzard will execute it correctly...or at all.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Glock

Before a patch... you think the first step isn't to make backups ?

Yes, but this is blizzard we're talking about, so who knows.
Reply Quote
'm going off:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770118014

They don't mention tracing item drop transactions. It's impressive they even track gold transations of in-game trades (and interesting that they didn't seem to use this to fix mouse-click scammers early on, or perhaps they developed this tracking after that happened, who knows).

I'm also going on the fact that they haven't blocked item trading or item dropping, so that tells me they can't or won't do anything about that - though I hope they do. (ie, players can, right now, keep moving il-gotten items to different accounts.)

I don't think the issue with "scams" was ever that they didn't have logs. It's just something that they have never done for this game. If you put items/gold in the trade window and hit accept... thats final. There was no exploit or anything... just human error.

As far as item drops... If the items were bought with duped gold... I don't see why it matters where the items end up. If the items came from a in game trade or an AH listing... they will be flagged for rollback.

Wrong, there were scripts that would swap gold amounts and hit accept before it was humanly possible to react before they fixed the trade window but w/e
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]