Diablo® III

If Duped Gold is Traced to Your Account >> Rollback

05/08/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Shawnski007
In neither of these would it be likely that this "new" exploit/bug would be introduced, so I have a strong suspicion that it may have been going on longer than just after this patch.

That's a really interesting point. How could the changes made impact this?

This assumes the bug being revealed just after 1.0.8 was released was either a coincidence or maybe intentional. Streamers decided to reveal it just now? Seems far fetched.
Reply Quote
Ok, I'll break down my thought process.

Player 1 Dupes gold. Blizzard detects this easily from the RMAH logs.

Player 1 buys items(gems?) from the AH from Player 2 and Player 3
Player 1 enters game (to trade or drop items) with Player 4

Player 2 buys items (with the duped gold he got from Player 1) from the AH from Player 5

Player 3 enters game with Player 6

Player 4 sells items on the AH to Player 7
Player 4 enters game with Player 8

Player 9 doesn't dupe gold or sell/buy anything on the AH or enter any games with any of these players

Player 1 gets a rollback.
Player 2 gets a rollback.
Player 3 gets a rollback.
Player 4 gets a rollback.
Player 5 gets a rollback.
Player 6 gets a rollback.
Player 7 gets a rollback.
Player 8 gets a rollback.

Player 9 doesn't get a rollback.

In this example only Player 1 duped gold... but the other 7 players had indirect contact/interactions with Player 1 so they all have to get a rollback... to be safe.

Player 9 didn't have any contact or interaction with any of the players linked to Player 1. He doesn't need a rollback.

In your example, wouldn't it be logical to just do a rollback on everyone? How will they reverse those that have transferred their duplicated gold into real currency? Who figured out and spread this security hole in the first place...because "%&*@ that loser."
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 06:29 PMPosted by Ukaer
or, they could roll back everything and not have to worry about all the sneaky ways players swapped duped gold/bad items etc. The mess they find themselves in is what to do with RMAH sales, where they need to coordinate with paypall on the sale of gems mostly that were sold for $$ and bought for free - blizzard should eat this cost cuz they made the mistake, but instead they choose to go the route of rolling back per-account which may cause yet MORE dupping to save them from having to deal with the real $$ headaches mentioned.

blizz exec options:
1. full server rollback
+ clean economy for players
- blizz profits gained during duping

2. selective account rollbacks
+ blizz keeps profits gained during duping
+ blizz get more profits from selective account rollback dupes
- corrupted economy for players

guess which one is the top choice
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 06:35 PMPosted by Bullfrog
In neither of these would it be likely that this "new" exploit/bug would be introduced, so I have a strong suspicion that it may have been going on longer than just after this patch.

This assumes the bug being revealed just after 1.0.8 was released was either a coincidence or maybe intentional. Streamers decided to reveal it just now? Seems far fetched.

thats just silly, the dupe had to do with the input of gold for sale for real money, which didn't change until the patch went live... so no this was not happening before the patch... ffs do some research before you start spreading misinformation...
Reply Quote
They need a Huge team at all.....and how to identify which single dollar is dupe?

Player 1 who sold a 1 B item in AH and received 850M dupe gold.He bought a 2B item in AH from player 2. How to trace this case? roll back it? Another 1 B belongs to him!

Player 2 get his 1.7 B and mix up with his own 1B gold! Later he spend 50M on differents gems for play 3 4 5 6 7 and 50M for other items from player 8 in AH!

They all roll back?
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 5/8/2013 6:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
All this could have been solved with a global rollback as soon as they spotted the issue, but this time their turtle speed to do anything really exposed a severe degree of inefficiency. If the dirty gold could be tracked and deleted, i guess that would work too.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Philos

thats just silly, the dupe had to do with the input of gold for sale for real money, which didn't change until the patch went live... so no this was not happening before the patch... ffs do some research before you start spreading misinformation...

It's purely speculation. Your point is taken, even though you didn't deliver it very nicely.

What "research" would you recommend?
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 06:46 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
All this could have been solved with a global rollback as soon as they spotted the issue, but this time their turtle speed to do anything really exposed a severe degree of inefficiency. If the dirty gold could be tracked and deleted, i guess that would work too.

I dunno. But if I were to want to clear my game of exploitative people, I'd have let the "issue" exist for a little while longer as well to be certain they sufficiently sunk themselves.

Not saying they did this, just saying that given the circumstance and opportunity, I may have.
Reply Quote
Everyone already knows Blizzard CAN fix the issue. The issue is whether they WILL do it properly or not, and how long it's going to take. The issue is they can easily do a incomplete job to save time/resources while leaving a few billion gold on some accounts.

For people that played WoW and got rollbacks, I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about, LOL. Get a few thousand gold, and extra free items that are added for no reason whatsoever ~_~
Reply Quote
I can tell you, that people who sold gems that day, will get a rollback.
My account is under suspension atm and the only thing I did yesterday was sell my stash of gems. I hope they hurry and do it already, I'm losing some sweet farming time right now =p.

P.S. I won't be mad about a rollback

how many gems did you sell/how much gold did you make?
Reply Quote
blizz exec options:
1. full server rollback
+ clean economy for players
- blizz profits gained during duping

2. selective account rollbacks
+ blizz keeps profits gained during duping
+ blizz get more profits from selective account rollback dupes
- corrupted economy for players

guess which one is the top choice

What makes you think they aren't reversing ALOT of RMAH transactions. There will absolutely be MANY MANY MANY RMAH transactions reversed from Tuesday. If a player duped gold... bought gems... then sold the gems on the RMAH...its completely traceable. They don't even have to trace the exact items or gems. All they need to know is did you dupe gold? Oh you did? Then everything you did after the patch went live gets rollback.... everything. It's that simple. There is a reason they use PayPal and RMAH transactions take so long to process.
Edited by SmokeyBuddha#1925 on 5/8/2013 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's purely speculation. Your point is taken, even though you didn't deliver it very nicely.

What "research" would you recommend?

This bug was definitely related to the changes in how you sell gold on the RMAH... its pretty much been stated by Blizzard. Check the thread on the subject.
Reply Quote
Assuming they have logs THAT detailed, it would take a good long time to scour them for would they would define as "suspicious" activity. Buttons pressed and players trading items (like your gem trade example) seem like a difficult way to get there.

At the AH, they could look for high priced transactions and look for patterns maybe?

This is all highly speculative, of course...

Ok, I'll break down my thought process.

Player 1 Dupes gold. Blizzard detects this easily from the RMAH logs.

Player 1 buys items(gems?) from the AH from Player 2 and Player 3
Player 1 enters game (to trade or drop items) with Player 4

Player 2 buys items (with the duped gold he got from Player 1) from the AH from Player 5

Player 3 enters game with Player 6

Player 4 sells items on the AH to Player 7
Player 4 enters game with Player 8

Player 9 doesn't dupe gold or sell/buy anything on the AH or enter any games with any of these players

Player 1 gets a rollback.
Player 2 gets a rollback.
Player 3 gets a rollback.
Player 4 gets a rollback.
Player 5 gets a rollback.
Player 6 gets a rollback.
Player 7 gets a rollback.
Player 8 gets a rollback.

Player 9 doesn't get a rollback.

In this example only Player 1 duped gold... but the other 7 players had indirect contact/interactions with Player 1 so they all have to get a rollback... to be safe.

Player 9 didn't have any contact or interaction with any of the players linked to Player 1. He doesn't need a rollback.

I don't think you think it far enough. If any of those players entered a public game, then they all get flagged. Then these flagged people flagged all the other people got in contact with. WHICH, it think will be just about everyone one that is NOT PLAYING SOLO ALL THIS TIME.

So, it would be easier to roll back everyone that only have been playing solo.

Bliz already said NO TO ROLL BACK already. Just live with it.
Reply Quote
I don't think you think it far enough. If any of those players entered a public game, then they all get flagged. Then these flagged people flagged all the other people got in contact with. WHICH, it think will be just about everyone one that is NOT PLAYING SOLO ALL THIS TIME.

Blizzard said they aren't doing a full server roll back. They absolutely ARE doing rollbacks. Where have you been ?
Reply Quote
player1 hears about dupe and how to do it
player1 still dont dupe and give away 90% of his gold to player 2
player1 spend the other % to DUPE!
player2 cant be traced
player1 got rollback
player 1 gets back his gold
player2 have duped gold and no one care

do this happen according blizzards rules?
Reply Quote

Blizzard said they aren't doing a full server roll back. They absolutely ARE doing rollbacks. Where have you been ?

At work :).

If they do the rollback, would they implement the account bound? A lot of people will be pissed if it is.
Reply Quote
I sold some gems not knowing exactly what as going on.. I only made about 300ml. IF they could jsut remove that gold form me I would like that etter than a rollback, but I would understand if they rolld me back. Owell 2 levels lost. Put back at 88. Exp is flooding in now anyways so meh!!
Reply Quote
player1 hears about dupe and how to do it
player1 still dont dupe and give away 90% of his gold to player 2
player1 spend the other % to DUPE!
player2 cant be traced
player1 got rollback
player 1 gets back his gold
player2 have duped gold and no one care

do this happen according blizzards rules?

Player 1 is banned. Player 2 has the gold that Player 1 game him.

Any other ideas?
Reply Quote
I sold some gems not knowing exactly what as going on.. I only made about 300ml. IF they could jsut remove that gold form me I would like that etter than a rollback, but I would understand if they rolld me back. Owell 2 levels lost. Put back at 88. Exp is flooding in now anyways so meh!!

It sucks... yes... but the whole reason that they are doing it this way is so as few people as possible get "penalized" for what happened on Tuesday. Unfortunately if you were one of the people who sold gems... you will like lose progress :(
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 04:32 PMPosted by Ramzies
You think Blizzard cares? They could have easily done the same with botters but then that would take away from their proffit.

Lol botters didnt do a 1/10th of the damage that was just done in an 8 hour window lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]