Diablo® III

If Duped Gold is Traced to Your Account >> Rollback

05/08/2013 11:08 PMPosted by Konabro1
You think Blizzard cares? They could have easily done the same with botters but then that would take away from their proffit.

Lol botters didnt do a 1/10th of the damage that was just done in an 8 hour window lol

Botters didn't dupe gold... even though bots may be against the rules... they still have to play the game. The RMAH Gold Dupe wasn't "playing the game". So you can't really compare the two. Not to mention detecting bots and detecting RMAH Gold Dupe are completely different. Bad comparison altogether.
Reply Quote
Quit belittling the people coding. Checkout all misspellings and bad grammar complainers use.
Reply Quote
In all reality... a full server rollback (i dunno... maybe when they saw what was going on like most smart gaming companies do and have done for years upon years) would have been the logic choice all around. You secure the problem in one fell swoop and indefinitely (supposing again your a company with enough common sense to fix the problem after rollback but prior to servers up) and you maintain your credibility with the public mass. It would also be a hell of a lot faster. I've been gaming for over 15 years, tons of online games and mmo's... and I've seen tons of server wide rollbacks and they rollback/have the problem fixed within 12 hours tops (which we are way past that already... )

SOOOO many games even to this day use full server rollbacks when such a major event like this one occurs for that very reason. Nip it in the butt all together, save face, and no doubt. Why would they choose to not save face? Why choose to do it in such a complicated time consuming manor which will only raise more suspicion and doubt. Who the hell knows.. but its certainly not the best choice.. certainly not the smartest choice.

Only problem is now... its far to late to even do a full server roll back. You've effectively pissed off everyone that wanted is (which is more than openly expressed and ignored) and now so much time has passed with players still playing (simply without ah/rmah/gold trades) that their loss of progression would further piss people off.

Thus is boils down to 1 of 2 things really...

1.) They truly have no idea wtf they are doing anymore.. period
2.) They do know... and intentionally don't care or intend to gain from it in some manor.

You decide
Reply Quote
Blizzard can easily see anyone and everyone that used the exploit yesterday. They flag those accounts. Then they look through the logs for each of those accounts... if those accounts had any transactions or interactions with other accounts... those accounts are flagged. They then look at those accounts... if those accounts had any transactions or interactions with other accounts... those accounts are flagged. This process will continue until no more accounts get flagged.

Then Blizzard does a rollback on all the accounts that got flagged.

This isn't a very hard concept to understand... its also not a very hard process to execute. The hard part is the time and resources that Blizzard has to invest into doing this.

this is fine with me. but I'd like them to confirm this so i can stop plvling and gain some piece of mind about the economy
Reply Quote
In all reality... a full server rollback (i dunno... maybe when they saw what was going on like most smart gaming companies do and have done for years upon years) would have been the logic choice all around. You secure the problem in one fell swoop and indefinitely (supposing again your a company with enough common sense to fix the problem after rollback but prior to servers up) and you maintain your credibility with the public mass. It would also be a hell of a lot faster. I've been gaming for over 15 years, tons of online games and mmo's... and I've seen tons of server wide rollbacks and they rollback/have the problem fixed within 12 hours tops (which we are way past that already... )

SOOOO many games even to this day use full server rollbacks when such a major event like this one occurs for that very reason. Nip it in the butt all together, save face, and no doubt. Why would they choose to not save face? Why choose to do it in such a complicated time consuming manor which will only raise more suspicion and doubt. Who the hell knows.. but its certainly not the best choice.. certainly not the smartest choice.

Only problem is now... its far to late to even do a full server roll back. You've effectively pissed off everyone that wanted is (which is more than openly expressed and ignored) and now so much time has passed with players still playing (simply without ah/rmah/gold trades) that their loss of progression would further piss people off.

Thus is boils down to 1 of 2 things really...

1.) They truly have no idea wtf they are doing anymore.. period
2.) They do know... and intentionally don't care or intend to gain from it in some manor.

You decide

A. they cant do a full server roll back due to some legit rmah transaction since not everyone was in on this exploit.

B. people that didnt take advantage of the exploit should not be punished in anyway by a server roll back

C. it wasnt as wide spread as everyone is assuming it is and blizzard has stated that.

D. there has been zero down time so nothing lost. Only lost is that the ah has been down for a little awhile big whoop this has happened in the past and also that you can not trade gold which is good since there is exploited gold out there right now and blizzard is keep it from effecting your account.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 11:54 PMPosted by Konabro1
C. it wasnt as wide spread as everyone is assuming it is and blizzard has stated that.

I'm pretty sure you had to have Billions already in order for the dupe to work. Anyone correct me if I am wrong. The people duping were the high end players. So... there were probably way more people receiving the dupe gold than actual dupers. The smaller the number of dupers... sort of... the easier this should be to fix.
Edited by SmokeyBuddha#1925 on 5/9/2013 12:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/09/2013 12:02 AMPosted by SmokeyBuddha
I'm pretty sure you had to have Billions already in order for the dupe to work

not it worked with any amount of of gold. its just goes faster if you have more
Reply Quote
A. they cant do a full server roll back due to some legit rmah transaction since not everyone was in on this exploit.

B. people that didnt take advantage of the exploit should not be punished in anyway by a server roll back

D. there has been zero down time so nothing lost. Only lost is that the ah has been down for a little awhile big whoop this has happened in the past and also that you can not trade gold which is good since there is exploited gold out there right now and blizzard is keep it from effecting your account.

^This

And +1 to OP.

Lets hope Blizzard will follow the effects of the duped gold all the way to the end of the trails. Its a painstakingly long process but they do have the ability to rectify this situation without making legit activity null.

This isn't paper money and there aren't any back alley exchanges going on. They have the data and logs of everything that happened that day.

Lets hope they get it right.
Reply Quote
Assuming they have logs THAT detailed, it would take a good long time to scour them for would they would define as "suspicious" activity. Buttons pressed and players trading items (like your gem trade example) seem like a difficult way to get there.

At the AH, they could look for high priced transactions and look for patterns maybe?

This is all highly speculative, of course...

Ok, I'll break down my thought process.

Player 1 Dupes gold. Blizzard detects this easily from the RMAH logs.

Player 1 buys items(gems?) from the AH from Player 2 and Player 3
Player 1 enters game (to trade or drop items) with Player 4

Player 2 buys items (with the duped gold he got from Player 1) from the AH from Player 5

Player 3 enters game with Player 6

Player 4 sells items on the AH to Player 7
Player 4 enters game with Player 8

Player 9 doesn't dupe gold or sell/buy anything on the AH or enter any games with any of these players

Player 1 gets a rollback.
Player 2 gets a rollback.
Player 3 gets a rollback.
Player 4 gets a rollback.
Player 5 gets a rollback.
Player 6 gets a rollback.
Player 7 gets a rollback.
Player 8 gets a rollback.

Player 9 doesn't get a rollback.

In this example only Player 1 duped gold... but the other 7 players had indirect contact/interactions with Player 1 so they all have to get a rollback... to be safe.

Player 9 didn't have any contact or interaction with any of the players linked to Player 1. He doesn't need a rollback.

i agree, that makes sense

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4024156/ beta bux link for they guy whwo said it dident exist
Reply Quote

a.) yes they can... charge backs are not that complicated...
b.) you missed the point.. if they did it asap as per usual with any major game company that has done rollbacks (yes this includes bliz... they've done them plenty themselves) then there wouldnt be any real punishment would there for legit players? As i said.. if dont asap.. were talkin only a few hours of server up time... there's no complaint... but as i also stated at this point having it up so long its impossible to do without having a major affect on legit players (comprehend more before posting.. dont just read the parts you want and retort lol)
c.) blizz can say anything they want.. doesnt make it true does it? can they furnish the proof that it wasnt wide spread? can you? without it... its only hersay and thus.. the general speculations, conspiracy theories, etc etc happen.. again which would have been solved by a complete rollback (AGAIN IF DONE QUICKLY AFTER DISCOVERY) just to make sure you see it that time.
d.) i cannot argue.. you are correct on this... but it doesnt change the fact that it was a poor decision. Put it this way. This whole problem (which supposedly is fixed now in just the investigate/ban/mini rollbacks phase) and the speculation, drama and hype.. would have been done and over with by nights end if they went with a rollback. Instead this topic will hover and linger, speculation will continue, trust falters more (dont get me wrong i love blizz games.. but honestly.. after all the garbage that goes in in d3 u cant say people havent lost faith and trust). And when they do finally say "OK We're done, its all good now" Then what. Many will still say they didnt fix it right, they didnt fix it all, blah blah blah. etc etc.

The point is.. they had a clear cut easy escape and fix route.. with no PR problems aside from the omg its a bug, its a dupe... oh you got it fixed and rollback so its all good? thats cool servers were only up a few hours so its cool.

Instead.. they went with... well.. this....
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 04:28 PMPosted by PowderBlue
The time would be better invested in coding correctly

time would be better invested in testing...

that AH error in programming is so easy to detect, but the consecuences of that ruins "the system".

Blizzard lacks of quality assurance in their diablo 3 team.

too bad, this only proves that this is an amateur software..
Reply Quote
time would be better invested in testing...

that AH error in programming is so easy to detect, but the consecuences of that ruins "the system".

Blizzard lacks of quality assurance in their diablo 3 team.

too bad, this only proves that this is an amateur software..

You are the amateur here. This was one of the best moves Blizzard has ever made. Blizzard netted over 1.5 billion in revenues this quarter and they are setting themselves up for the long run.

Itemization is next patch and they just fixed one of the biggest problems, item sink. All the high end gear on banned accounts is gone and many of these players will probly not leave the game because they are far too addicted. Notice how Inigo, one of the streamers who was duping and causing havoc on the ah, is now playing on EU server. He didn't quit the game even tho his 5 accounts were banned.

There were many exploits that came and went without bans. The "I don't exploit because I fear the banhammer" fence sitter crowd probly had alot of people jump over and try it because they would kick themselves hard when Blizzard only gives a slap on the wrist.

It was good for publicity too. I'm sure a lot of non-d3 people heard about this.
Reply Quote
if they would have just rolled back the servers and revert back to patch 1.07 as soon as the bug was discovered, there wouldnt be a problem. should have never even had a talk about what to do.
Reply Quote
My account got rolled back beacuse of gem trading...now why the $%#@ are my items account bound for doing something you are allowed to do in the game? Dont say "you deserve it" because that is a bs answer and you know it
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 07:12 AMPosted by LeadMustache
My account got rolled back beacuse of gem trading...now why the $%#@ are my items account bound for doing something you are allowed to do in the game? Dont say "you deserve it" because that is a bs answer and you know it

If you did nothing but gem trade, then you got screwed. They let everyone else keep their stuff. I posted this in another thread:

It has... it will..

This guy posted the top post in this pic:

http://i.imgur.com/OoouA7b.jpg

I couldn't remember where I saw the name, but I knew I had seen it sometime in the past couple days. At the bottom of the page, someone went off on a rant at him about duping gold. Then I remembered. That last post, that is legit. It was the same guy who was posting about how he had been suspended, then unsuspended and all his gear was BoA. He said in his post he made about 22 billion in from gem-sales. (99% of those gems were being bought out by dupers) He has now sold most of his gold as gems to unsuspecting players paying $1 or so per.

This not enough?

A bit ago skywalkerog420 from the http://www.twitch.tv/skywalkerog420 was boasting on his 50 billion that he made from the gold dupe in gem/item sales. He bought also items and gems to resell in the RMAH. I'm sure he'll be making a nice profit as well.

Let's stop pretending already. I know several people with 15-20-300 billion made from gem/item sales. This wasn't bought by legit players, it was bought by dupers.

That guy actually didn't just trade gems, but he duped gold, then got his account back minus the duped gold but kept all the gem/item profits.. then sold half or more to the RMAH and walked away with the money from 314 gems going at $1 - $1.30 each when the AH came back up.

Damn.. you got owned.
Edited by Alcheya#1560 on 5/11/2013 7:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
so you get caught and now you back down "DON BAN MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :( "
you did exploit thinking you are so smart and clever well now you are ban :*
Reply Quote
Wow...I dont even know what to say about that..."good job blizzard"?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]