Diablo® III

kick people that portal healing during ffa

I understand if it is a duel, 2 guys go in the chapel and the winner comes to town to heal and remove cooldowns so the second round can start fresh. However, there should be no portal healing during an ffa. This is because ffa success is based off of survival skills and there are no rounds like duels.

I have heard people make excuses for portal healing, which include:

1. "You guys are ganging up on me!"

Diablo is a game where you fight multiple enemies at one time, you have had practice doing this during farming. A brawl is a free for all where you are expected to fight multiple enemies at once. People who go into a brawl should be prepare for this and respect it.

2. "I was attacked from behind by someone else while I was trying to finish you!"

It takes skill to attack one target while evading damage from a different opponent. Develop these skills if you choose to brawl.

3. "I am out of spirit/hate/AP!"

This is an issue that can be solved by gearing for resource regeneration or it can be avoided by not spamming skills needlessly.

3. "My wrath of the berserker (or other skill) is on cooldown!"

You would win every time if you just fought people only when wrath of the berserker was on.

4. "There is no point to this! Only duels matter!"

Its fun, it is a test of your survival skills, it makes you aware of multiple opponents, and it is practice for when the arena comes out.

5. "You are running away from me!"

Disengaging an opponent and hiding until life regenerates and cool downs are restored is a fair and acceptable practice in brawling. It takes knowledge of the area to know where to hide and when to move somewhere else while being undetected. Most importantly, I am staying in the scorched chapel when I run so you can kill me if you find me; while a portal healer is running to town where they cannot be killed. Investing in life regeneration gear is pointless if you do not hide in the map to recover health during a fight. Running to town is best choice when everything is resorted instantaneously.

Please, if you portal heal, only do it if it is cool with the other players in the game. If you are new, do you not portal heal. If someone in the game is portal healing, vote a kick.

Portal healers are in the same odious category as item dupers and the 2 beez guy. This is because they exploit flaws in the game to get ahead of others instead of developing skills. There are enough design flaws that people exploit during PvP, but portal healing should not be one of them.
Edited by Weasel765#1161 on 7/6/2013 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
I think it would be cool if they just removed the portal in the next patch.
Reply Quote
I don't really care when people do this. They loose nothing by dying a few times and if they feel the need to constantly portal when low hp/rend/haunt/oom it only serves to ruin their reputation as a brawler. Without a ladder or score board, rewards or losses reputation is all any brawler has at this point. OP just ignore it you'll have a lot more fun. :)
Reply Quote
I`m a casual player who doesn`t brawl so i may be wrong but isn`t brawling just for fun? If a player is constantly portal healing then you now where he`s going to be when his hp gets low. Kill him and brag about it or just portal heal yourself too and force a stalemate. Why is that portal there anyway? You can tp to town whenever and wherever you want from the Chapel.
Reply Quote
I like being able to change skills when new people enter, or go to town if I need to type something. So it is nice knowing that I can do it when I need to and I don't want the portal removed. Most people also follow this conduct, only taking the portal if they change skills or have to type something and not doing it solely to restore resources and health. However, just with any system with flexibility, there are people exploiting.

I am just sick of people doing it during an ffa. They kill one person, and portal heal themselves if they take any damage and don't die. yeah, brawling is just for fun, but the biggest portal healers are also the biggest whiners and they can take a fun game and turn it into an aggravating experience. I think people should get kicked for portal healing.
Edited by Weasel765#1161 on 5/13/2013 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The rule of thumb is portal = lose, even for monks

Recharging spirit is not an excuse to use portal, since the same can be said for barb/WD to portal back and wait for their big spell cool down to finish.

Portal = lose

Simple as that
Reply Quote
Portal = lose

Simple as that

+1
Edited by Weasel765#1161 on 6/12/2013 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
how do you feel about hiding and using a TP?

is the cast delay of TP enough to make it fair?
Reply Quote
06/12/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Tubs
how do you feel about hiding and using a TP?

I think that going town, by any means, for the purpose of restoring health or resources devalues regenerative gear slots.

When designing your character for PvP, you have to chose between ehp and regenerative slots while selecting gear. This is an optimization skill, and it rewards creativity by providing game play variations. For example, choosing between lps, health globes, LoH, or a variation of the three provides more creative options to heal then going to town would. However, gearing for life/resource regeneration becomes meaningless when you can run to town every time you face trouble. Further more, running to town encourages spamming because there is no motivation to conserve resources.

Going to town during a brawl should be eschewed.
Edited by Weasel765#1161 on 6/12/2013 12:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Most builds as a monk are completely useless if you don't.

Starting a fight with enough spirit to cast your mantra and only your mantra isn't winnable.

Basically what your asking for is a pvp monk nerf because they are the only class that really has to do this in order to actually duel.
Reply Quote
06/13/2013 04:38 AMPosted by Calamity
they are the only class that really has to do this in order to actually duel.

Monks are fun to brawl and I would like them to stay that way, so no, I am not calling for a monk nerf.

I fought plenty of monks that have no problems sustaining spirit with spirit regeneration gear. This brings me to the crux of this post, regeneration gear will not be used if you can instantly restore everything when you go to town. By allowing people to portal heal, they won't invest in health/resource regeneration gear, and it devalues the gear of the people who do.

There are only two ways to restore value to regenerative slots, disable the portal or implement a community agreement to kick people who are portal healing.
Reply Quote
Can we start a "run to town" blacklist? I'd like to add Allucard to the list. Ran to town every time he was in any danger in a pub game.
Reply Quote
06/16/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Kefka
Can we start a "run to town" blacklist?

I would love to, but I think it is against the ToS to post someone's battletag on the forums. I guess you could declare them a portal healer on a thread as long as you don't use their full battletag with numbers. Its the same principle of alerting people to scammers on a post.
Reply Quote
people can do whatever they want...

this is one thing about you i find very annoying, i killed everyone in a particular pub game while back including you Weasel765 and after everyone dead i portal to town to heal and you say " that is frowned upon.." im sure you remember what i'm talking about.

so what should i have done? wait for all the dead guys to come back full health to finish me off after a 3v1? You could do that. i choose not to.

as long as a player doesnt run to portal MID fight, specifically like if you saw a player getting chased down and he/she goes into portal then yah thats dumb, but we all know what the outcome would have been.. so besides that, i dont see how you could get mad for people going to town.

1. what if they are lagging?

2. what if they have a phone call?

3. what if they just want to?

4. what if they have to go to the bathroom?

5. what if they just want to leave the game?

6. what if they want to change up gears or skills?

7. what if they use their last potion on u and need to buy more?

.. all legitimate reasons to town portal in my opinion
Edited by FR0G#1123 on 7/8/2013 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The only time this is actually annoying to me is if the person dose it mid duel, and feels threatened then uses the portal that's kinda lame, and cowardly.

But... i mean if you're the last man stand standing after everything has already gone down i think you're pretty much entitled to use the portal. Either that or you just stand there, with no cooldowns or HP and die for a free kill?

You have to remember scorched chapel is basically a pvp practice zone, when something better is actually released im sure most will only use it for 1v1 practice.
Reply Quote
I agree with portal = lose. It is only OK between matches (i.e., after your opponent dies).
Reply Quote
What I myself personally frown upon is people who attack people who are town portaling
Reply Quote
@ FROG

If you refer to comment #5 I say it is alright to go to town to change up skills or view a new comer's profile. There have been times I called people out for running to town, but they said they had to type something or make a trade and I was cool with it.

I like being able to change skills when new people enter, or go to town if I need to type something. So it is nice knowing that I can do it when I need to and I don't want the portal removed. Most people also follow this conduct, only taking the portal if they change skills or have to type something and not doing it solely to restore resources and health.

So i also agree that those 6 reasons that you listed are legitimate reasons to go to town.

07/08/2013 03:19 AMPosted by FR0G
i killed everyone in a particular pub game while back including you Weasel765 and after everyone dead i portal to town to heal

I guess this style of play you are referring to is a king of the hill match, where you have a ffa with rounds. If everyone in the game agrees to it, then so be it, go to town if you are the last one standing. However, I do not do duels or king of hill matches since it takes longer to walk to your opponent then it does to actually fight them. There is too much down time between rounds and I want to get back into the fight as soon as possible. When I go to a pub game, I only do continuous brawls were the fight continues regardless of low health, cool downs, people ganging up on me, lack of resource, or lag. If this is not going on in the game I am in, then I leave and search for a new one.

so what should i have done?

You should have continued fighting. I have fought many good players that have no problem killing me from full health while they only had 10% health left. Fighting under these conditions enchances your ffa survival skills, provides incentive to invest in regenerative gear, and leaves no down time during fights.

people can do whatever they want...

This is true, but do not be surprised when people leave a game when you join because you are a known portal healer.
Edited by Weasel765#1161 on 7/8/2013 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL

i am a portal healer... hahahha

those are merely your opinions.. your style of play, one that the Majority of people do not play by. i have never joined a game where everyone discusses these "styles of play and rules" each and every game, not to mention each and every time a player leaves and a new player joins. Just go play 1v1 matches if you despise this "style" so much. LOL i find it hilarious personally that anyone would leave because someone is a "Portal Healer" Lol usually if anything, i like to think of them as a Treasure Gob and try to kill them before they can port away screaming WEEEE. But thats only when they run TO the Open portal.. and I dont do that. You got all worked up because you saw me town portaling in the middle of the map.. after everyone was dead.. and not because i was low on health or out of mana, i did it merely because i felt like it. i wanted to. because i missed town having been away from it for so long. Also, do you really want to kill someone thats half beaten or already on the verge of death? You Seem to value a fair fight but, you want these petty kills? Well thats what it looks like when you complain about such silly things after you die like 10 times in a row. just seems like your frustrated.

07/08/2013 08:02 AMPosted by Weasel765
This is true, but do not be surprised when people leave a game when you join because you are a known portal healer.

haha that explains a lot, i hope Salty reads this thread
Edited by FR0G#1123 on 7/8/2013 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Weasel I can't even count the amount of times that I enter a game and you auto leave. I really can't even believe this is still an issue. Is it because I am a "portal healer"? I never even port and you still auto leave say nothing. I mean this happened like what, over 20 times the other day?

All of your points above in OP are just excuses that people say. To want to auto-kick a player for porting (for unknown reasons) is simply stupid.

How can you even begin to call Fr0g an "known portal healer". Are you just starting to make things up? Because I have known fr0g a long time and unless we are 1v1ing we always play until the last breath. If anything he is likely trolling you. Not like it matters anyway if he ports after death. I want a fair fight. I played with mass regen since PTR and I can tell you it's a wasted gear slot unless vs barb.

PvP is about glory, it always has been. When you kill a player with 25% hp do you get any glory from that?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]