Diablo® III

Least effective Co-op Class in 1.08?

With the monster density buff and (amazing) multiplayer bonuses, synergy between builds is more important than ever. That said I wanted to ask the community; if you're in a 4 player game and can't have more than one of the same class, which class would you omit?

As cool as I think they are I'd have to say the Demon Hunter. In my opinion other classes have greater benefits to group play;

Barbarian
  • An effective Barbarian will use WW to pull mobs from the surrounding area to create one giant mob ready for easy disposal. This greatly maximizes run efficiency to a degree no other class is capable of. An effective Barb is not one that outright runs ahead of the group and leaves sporadic leftovers for the rest to clean up.

• Monk
  • An obvious choice with Mantra of Conviction Overawe increasing all damage taken by enemies in the vicinity by 24%, this is also easily spammed for a constant 48% damage increase. Otherwise Cyclone Strike can be used to condense mobs greatly improving the effectiveness of all classes AoE skills.

• Witch Doctor
  • Another obvious choice with their buffs and debuffs; Hex speeds up Elite kills a great amount and Big Bad Voodoo will give everyone a huge dps boost. A zerodog build can also allow the group to tank even the toughest of Elite mobs thanks to health globe generation.

• Wizard
  • A CM permafreeze build using Explosive Blast will immobilize (effectively neutralizing the Fear proc on EF's!) while also dealing massive AoE dps. A great asset to any farm, they can also boost the party's dps by casting Slow Time with the Stretch Time rune.

• Although the DH can deal some epic dps against groups, the class doesn't offer many impressive groups buffs/debuffs for co-op play (at least in comparison to other classes). I feel Caltrops, Spike Trap, Sentry and Marked for Death could all use some slight buffs to make DH's more competitive with other classes for co-op play.

What is your choice for least effective co-op class and why?
    Reply Quote
    Honestly it's not the class, it's the player. Each class has something to contribute, but if played incorrectly can make group play less enjoyable.
    Reply Quote
    there is only one team to consider when talking about effective co-op imo...
    And that would be ww barbarian, for the massive aoe dmg, a monk to pull and debuff enemies, a wizard to keep everything in place, and a wd to buff everyone....

when we consider this party, if we throw anyone of them out and replace it with dh, the game will suck hard, and elite kills will probably double in time, at least very close to it...

i for one, leave the moment i see a dh entered my game, all the friends i had that were solely dh's got removed from my f list, i know, i know, i'm a bastard, but why have them when i don't want to play with them ?

The worst thing for me about the class dh, is not so much that they have nothing to offer to the other chars in terms of what the other classes can offer, no, it's more the fact that every single monster prioritize dh and charge them, seemingly almost without influence of distance... that is really the worst thing for a ww barb like me.. (chasing mobs that's chasing an Dh)
    Reply Quote
    Like the guy above said its not DH its the player. I have 1 guy on my flist and he has one badass dh, He never kites, tanks !@#$ and goes almost as fast as barb so. There just many nubs in game thats all.
    Reply Quote
    Assuming this is on MP10, all players being equal, I would probably go without a Demon Hunter.
    Reply Quote
    I dunno I played with 4 barbs twice yesterday and I could pretty much do without all the other classes.. :)
    Reply Quote
    None - if played correctly every class is fun to have in the game.
    Reply Quote
    LOL @ DHs
    Reply Quote
    The OP is wrong about the DH, the DH is hugely effective in coop "IF" the other classes know how to playin a team with a DH.

A demon hunters contribution is his DPS, its his/her job to pour fire into the group of mobs/elites, from behind the rest of the team, the problem is your average WW barb, doesnt have a clue how to work in a group with a DH, so all he does is pull mobs STRAIGHT INTO THE DH.

one of the best combination teams is a Wizard/DH comp, wiz locks up the mobs, whilst the DH's unload into the pack.

You say a WW barb shouldnt run ahead leaving trash in his wake, but thats exactly what 99% of the barbs out there in coop are doing. which is why WWbarbs are one of the biggest reasons i see groups being wiped because they pull in 2 elite packs + and a ton of trash overwhelming the rest of the team.

If your going to play with a DH on the team, stay in a pack but ahead of the DH, lock down the mobs and focus their attention, whilst the DH pours in firepower from a distance. When you have a good synergy going between the Barbs/wiz/monks up front, and the DH/WD in support, its a match made in heaven, fail to get that synergy going and the group is going to suffer.
    Reply Quote
    Demon Hunters could do a lot more to make themselves useful in groups. No matter how much they buff it, RF is useless (unless them make it so you can move while channeling). When I'm in a group, hopefully with a cyclone monk, I hit a boss with MFD/Grim Reaper, and perma-stun them using bola w/thunder ball and stun grenades. Works just as well as cm wiz and you can still see the bad guys. I like to run into where the bulk of the fighting is happening, drop a guardian turret to protect the melee fighters, take a few steps back and let the stunning begin. I don't have the dps so I haven't tried this on mp10, but regularly run this build on mp6-8 and so far most people I've played with like it.
    Reply Quote
    Yeah DH's are the obvious choice here. But it's only because all their useful co-op skills like Marked for Death, Sentry and Spike Trap are never actually used as other skills are just far better.

I've played with some great co-op DH's but they are few and far between.
    Reply Quote
    Well, apart from the DH having Mark of Death and Guardian Turret, they don't really bring a ton to the table. Maybe if someone abuses the glitch when using a sever, which will probably be removed at one point, they aren't nearly as useful as the other classes. They have low eDPS as well.

Monks are gods when it comes to buffs/debuffs. WD have slam dance which is amazing, Wizards have perma freeze/time warp which both are very useful. Barbs do a lot of burst damage, but can only really outdo a monk if they redo their cooldowns every match. I'd say the best party would be:

B+B+M+Wz
    B+M+M+Wz

All other parties work, but these would be by far the best. In the end, I'd say the DH is unfortunately the worst in Co-Op if everyone was equally as good at controlling their players. DH has bad eDPS and only one useful debuff and a semi useful buff that I can think of.
    Edited by ISmkPotatoes#1756 on 6/28/2013 8:25 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for highlighting the plight of DH, not only are we not effective solo compared to other classes, we are also not as effective in Co-op play. I can totally understand the other positives and advantages that other classes bring to Co-op play. Too much nerfs and too little buffs have left DH probably the worst class now in terms of eDPS for solo and poor synergy for Co-op play
    Reply Quote
    lol @ the guy talking about demon hunters having good dps......

Sure they can have high sheet dps, but their effective dps is absolutely dismal compared to the other classes.
    Edited by jxfuller#1507 on 6/28/2013 9:05 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    06/28/2013 08:54 PMPosted by RaveaAngel
    Too much nerfs and too little buffs have left DH probably the worst class now in terms of eDPS for solo and poor synergy for Co-op play

The problem i have with the DH is that he needs to be stationary to really be effective, but given the dh's poor survivability, your forced to go mobile, which effectively nullifies the DH's primary contribution to the coop team (that being firepower)

Spike traps are only effective against stationary targets or in confined spaces, and RF cannot be used when moving.

Strafe is just terrible, chews through too much hatred and is really lacking in power.

Whats needed imo is a change to MFD, that allows the DH to "lock on" to the targeted mob, and be able to channel fire on the move.

EG:

Marked for Death

Hunting

Cost: 12 Discipline Marks an enemy.

The marked enemy will take 12% additional damage for the next 30 seconds.
    Marked enemies can be attacked whilst moving

What this effectively would mean is that once you pop marked for death, your locked onto that target for 30 seconds, all you have to do is fire and it will autoaim at the marked target whilst on the move.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    I take exception to these comments @DH. Obviously ya'll never played with a DH with rapid fire crit'ing over 1.5 mil per hit.
    Reply Quote
    lol as a higher dps Dh I don't even like when playing with random team ups of other DH in public games. Demon Hunters shouldn't even be allowed in higher MPs until they have at least 300k dps.

I've played in matches with 4 350k dps+ Dh and it was a lot of fun though. Basically everyone sprays into the elites and channels at each other when another DH is being over ran. Very effective.

We have no spammable AOE, our resource generation is junk, any of our useful skills cost way too much resource, and our survivability is awful.

We even get screwed in extra EXP earned because we cannot endlessly link mobs. This is a huge FU to the class.

If you go into the DH section of this forum it is filled with threads like these. People whining, people making suggestions, people trying to throw together crazy weird builds in hopes of finding a solution.

The problem is all you other classes whined so much about our paper DPS, even though we are supposed to be the DPS class, they nerf'd us into the floor.

-Who cares about our old Nether Tentacles hitting the same target more than once while slowly passing through them? We have no AOE.

-Why did 2s+1s ruined of invincibility with Smoke Screen matter when we would just die when it was on cool down?

Even in the beginning when the DH might of been in an arguably better place they were all corpse walking.

I blame all the whiners for the state of this class. Why Blizzard listened to any of them is beyond me.

No point in having a Glass Cannon that is less of a cannon than the tanks.

I'm glad everyone can see this now, maybe a year from now Blizzard will do something about it.

I only stick with the class because I enjoy the play style. The state of the class is frustrating to say the least.
    Reply Quote
    Dawgiestyle, this thread is in regards to the least useful class in co-op games not how effective they are in general. I understand DH's can very well deal godly DPS with the right gear but this is about what classes bring to the table in a co-op game. In that regard, the DH is obviously lacking. As I said in my OP;

05/13/2013 12:12 AMPosted by DamienJohn
    Although the DH can deal some epic dps against groups, the class doesn't offer many impressive groups buffs/debuffs for co-op play (at least in comparison to other classes). I feel Caltrops, Spike Trap, Sentry and Marked for Death could all use some slight buffs to make DH's more competitive with other classes for co-op play.
    Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 6/28/2013 10:52 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    05/13/2013 12:12 AMPosted by DamienJohn
    As cool as I think they are I'd have to say the Demon Hunter. In my opinion other classes have greater benefits to group play

*wistful sigh*

06/28/2013 10:16 PMPosted by MustacheGuy
    I only stick with the class because I enjoy the play style. The state of the class is frustrating to say the least.

+1
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Dawgiestyle, this thread is in regards to the least useful class in co-op games not how effective they are in general. I understand DH's can very well deal godly DPS with the right gear but this is about what classes bring to the table in a co-op game. In that regard, the DH is obviously lacking. As I said in my OP;

Although the DH can deal some epic dps against groups, the class doesn't offer many impressive groups buffs/debuffs for co-op play (at least in comparison to other classes). I feel Caltrops, Spike Trap, Sentry and Marked for Death could all use some slight buffs to make DH's more competitive with other classes for co-op play.

I forget to add that I think they need a buff. The coop play is different. As my dps grew, my skill selections lean towards self replenishment. At the lower dps level, I used full on Calrop, Sentry, and Spike Trap. I think I was slinging two rare guns at that time.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]