Diablo® III

Jamella and Halbu

With all of the questions that the Diablo universe has to offer, one that I've had a particularly difficult time answering the mysteries of Jamella and Helbu from Diablo II. What are they? Who are they aligned with? I can't assume anything, but it seems like they dwell in Pandemonium, and may not be mortal even though they look like humans. I hope someone or a Blizz rep can help me out with this.
Reply Quote
Hail to you, Champion!
Reply Quote
The Pandemonium Fortress was sort of like a mid-point between Heaven and Sanctuary. Jamella and Halbu were probably lawful good merchants that had connections with angels, so they worked there. They helped to maintain the fortress, and in return they were taken care of by the angels and also made a profit on items sold. When there weren't any customers (which would be much of the time), they would probably do work that was necessary to maintain the fortress. Maybe they were even married.

Actually, I just made this up, but it seems likely and logical.
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Starblazer
Jamella and Halbu were probably lawful good merchants that had connections with angels, so they worked there.
All evidence points to their allegiance with Heaven, but that cannot make sense if they are mortal. They would have had to gain their allegiance with Heaven in the 20 - 40 years prior to Diablo II, but since nothing has been explained that would warrant that, and the fact that the Sin War forbids Heaven and mortals to interact (up until the events of Diablo III and excepting Tyrael of course) just makes that idea not make any sense.

If they were humans, they would likely have to be immortal humans, but I can't imagine when they would have gained Heavens' trust. The only time that I can think it would have been is during the Sin War after Heaven officially learned of Sanctuary but before the contract was made with Hell, which was what.. a few weeks? A few months at best.

If they were not human, and not mortal, then the question becomes what are they? I can't answer that question, or even come up with any ideas.

I'd love a CM to ask Metzen what's going on with them for me!
Edited by Chris#1235 on 5/12/2013 9:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/12/2013 09:55 PMPosted by Chris
They would have had to gain their allegiance with Heaven in the 20 - 40 years prior to Diablo II, but since nothing has been explained that would warrant that, and the fact that the Sin War forbids Heaven and mortals to interact (up until the events of Diablo III and excepting Tyrael of course) just makes that idea not make any sense.

They were with Tyrael, and he was always more willing to work with mortals. Also, in Diablo 1, it was explained that throughout history, mortals have aligned themselves with both Heaven and Hell, so these two were clearly aligned with Heaven. The fact that they are human is confirmed on Diablo Wiki:
http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Jamella_%28Diablo_II%29
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 12:29 AMPosted by Starblazer
They were with Tyrael, and he was always more willing to work with mortals.
I'm not sure that's the case. Though they were in the same place at the same time as Tyrael, I can't say that they are tied to his presence.

05/14/2013 12:29 AMPosted by Starblazer
Also, in Diablo 1, it was explained that throughout history, mortals have aligned themselves with both Heaven and Hell, so these two were clearly aligned with Heaven.
A few things with this statement; While many humans can fight beside Hell, it is significantly more common than humans fighting alongside Heaven. Heaven is famously orderly, and an alignment with mankind has been forbidden for thousands of years before the events of Diablo I. Not to say that there have not been humans that have fought in the name of Heaven, but there is a clear difference.

It is also a bit risky to use Diablo I lore in this particular scenario, since the concepts of the Sin War changed drastically between Diablo I era lore and Diablo II era lore.

The fact that they are human is confirmed on Diablo Wiki.
I'm looking for a more reliable source.
Reply Quote
Is there any reason to believe that they're not human? Also, considering the number of cultists, there are clearly lots of people that side with Hell.
Reply Quote
05/22/2013 12:24 AMPosted by Starblazer
Is there any reason to believe that they're not human?
Not directly. They certainly could be, but they must have gained loyalty to Heaven during some event whose story has yet to be told.

I riffed on it a bit in my Comprehensive Analysis post. Don't know if you've seen it, but I think you'd like it. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569110155

Here is what I posted for them.
The Champions of Light
This faction, whose only two known members are Jamella and Halbu, the Merchants of Light, is difficult to comprehend. They are aligned with Heaven, though may not be directly a part of it. They seem to be immortal, but appear to be humans. They may have been humans favored by renegade angels such as Yaerius or Inarius, who were then granted heavenly powers and accepted by Heaven. They may have gained trust with Heaven during some event so far untold. They may also be native to the Island of the Sunless Sea, though officially it does not exist.
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Starblazer
The Pandemonium Fortress was sort of like a mid-point between Heaven and Sanctuary.

Between the High Heavens and Burning Hells... where the Worldstone was housed.... not Sanctuary.
Reply Quote
Why do they have to have gained the trust of the High Heavens?
Tyreal has been operating against the wishes for some time aiding humanity, I would think in the battle of humans vs. the burning hells, they would only need to be allied with Tyreal specifically rather than the entirety of the high heavens.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]