Diablo® III

Battle.net SMS via Friend's Phone?

(Locked)

Long have I been annoyed that my cell phone will not work with Battle.net SMS because it's prepaid (which is basically the only reason I can afford to have a cell phone.) I have looked into what it would take to get a phone service that would be supported by Battle.net SMS and I would be basically paying DOUBLE the monthly rate I'm paying now as the CHEAPEST option that I could find, and that's not including what it would cost to get a new phone on top of that. So yeah, it's frustrating that I can't even attempt to use the RMAH for even one cent of profit simply because of who my cell phone service provider is, nor is there any other alternative form of security I can use instead.

So, since I'm back and giving D3 a try again in 1.0.8 (trying hardcore this time around too) I'm trying to figure how I can get the RMAH to work. I was wondering if I could use a friend's phone for this? First off, is that allowed, and if so, what are the pros and cons of it?

Like, I figure my friend could forward any texts to me or something, and/or forward my responses if needed. My friend isn't into games at all so she wouldn't ever need to use her phone for her own account or something. She has a contract plan with Verizon so more than likely her phone would be supported, whereas my prepaid with Virgin Mobile is not.

However, I don't know how it works and/or what information is transmitted to the SMS holder so I have no way of judging if this is a good idea or not.

Anyone wanna help me out here?
if you have any kind of smart-ish phone you can (even through WiFI download the authenticator and once installed it shouldn't need the internet for keys for connecting to the game. I believe you must use the authenticator for RMAH buying/selling but if I'm incorrect someone can correct me.

From a SmS ..... for RMAH.... wow... ummmm I don' think I'd trust anyone's phone for things of this nature other than my own.

Best of luck to you in your decisions.
I actually have a physical non-smart phone authenticator already. It's specifically the 'Battle.net SMS Protection' that I need in order to cash out RMAH to Paypal. (I could use RMAH if I wanted to buy stuff, and I can sell stuff and cash to 'blizzard bucks', neither of which I want to do whatsoever, but to go to Paypal, which is what I do want to do, I have to have the SMS thing.)
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Can you? I can't think of a rule that says you can not. Should you though is a completely different question. Personally, I would not want anyone elses phone associated with an account security feature besides my own. SMS protect is needed to do more than just use the RMAH once you get it enabled and you need access to the codes quickly. Not sure you want to depend on someone to forward things to you. Do you really want to be limited by when she is available to assist you? Probably not a great idea to be honest.
Get an android emulator for your PC (bluestacks is one) and then just get the authenticator from the app store.
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
05/13/2013 12:36 PMPosted by shreloche
Get an android emulator for your PC (bluestacks is one) and then just get the authenticator from the app store.

The OP was asking about SMS Protect, not Authenticators :)

Also, while any Authenticator is better than none, please note that the PC emulators for Authenticators are NOT supported by Blizzard. This is because they do not generally run on a device separate from the networked PC and are vulnerable to malware. Anyone using such a program is doing so at their own risk.
Just curios, why does prepaid not work in US? in EU it's no problem.... i use my 10 years old prepaid cellphone.
I could be a millionaire and still not want to spend double for nothing.

Why pay $70 for the exact same thing I can pay for $35 instead? And why get roped into a contract that has fees for cancellation when I could go non-contract and cancel anytime I feel the need? And that doesn't even consider the hassle of switching to another carrier, getting a new phone number, and paying for a new phone I don't need. I pay $35 a month for unlimited data and unlimited texting (and 300 minutes that I never get close to using since pretty much everyone I know texts nowadays anyway). I also get a sweet Samsung Galaxy S2 phone for a pretty good price that I could afford at the time, and the coverage and data speeds are comparable to all my friend's phones and their contract plans. The minutes are the only limiting factor and for $55 a month I could get unlimited those too, which beats the $70 a month as the cheapest contract plan I could find that included unlimited data and texting.

I would literally have to make over $35 a month and cover the cost of a new phone just to break even, and until I actually get started using the RMAH I have no idea how likely I am to make any kind of profit on it, but even if I do make a good profit, to have that profit cut into by simply having to pay for the phone would be highly annoying. =/

"Just be richer" or "just spend more money" is the frustrating answer when the entire idea here is to MAKE money off the RMAH, not spend money just to get to use it.

But, as usual, guess it takes money to make money...
Edited by Thortok2000#1374 on 5/13/2013 5:44 PM PDT
Support Forum Agent
Long have I been annoyed that my cell phone will not work with Battle.net SMS because it's prepaid (which is basically the only reason I can afford to have a cell phone.) I have looked into what it would take to get a phone service that would be supported by Battle.net SMS and I would be basically paying DOUBLE the monthly rate I'm paying now as the CHEAPEST option that I could find, and that's not including what it would cost to get a new phone on top of that. So yeah, it's frustrating that I can't even attempt to use the RMAH for even one cent of profit simply because of who my cell phone service provider is, nor is there any other alternative form of security I can use instead.

So, since I'm back and giving D3 a try again in 1.0.8 (trying hardcore this time around too) I'm trying to figure how I can get the RMAH to work. I was wondering if I could use a friend's phone for this? First off, is that allowed, and if so, what are the pros and cons of it?

Like, I figure my friend could forward any texts to me or something, and/or forward my responses if needed. My friend isn't into games at all so she wouldn't ever need to use her phone for her own account or something. She has a contract plan with Verizon so more than likely her phone would be supported, whereas my prepaid with Virgin Mobile is not.

However, I don't know how it works and/or what information is transmitted to the SMS holder so I have no way of judging if this is a good idea or not.

Anyone wanna help me out here?

Our intention is to have as many people take advantage of the authenticators as possible. I would advise against using a friend's phone as this may cause complications down the road for verification of the account. If you cannot use the mobile authenticator please keep in mind that we do have the physical ones available as well. If for whatever reason you are having any difficulties in acquiring one, please open a ticket and let us know and we'll see what we can do.

Regards,
Araxom
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]