Diablo® III

PS3 / Vita Remote Play?

MVP
View profile
Quick question for our lovely development team.

Will the PS3 version of Diablo III support Remote Play for the Playstation Vita console?

If not currently, would it be a possibility in the future?
Reply Quote
I'm sure it will. I know this is off topic, but have you heard if there will be elective mode on the ps3 version? It's a deal breaker for me.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I'm sure it will. I know this is off topic, but have you heard if there will be elective mode on the ps3 version? It's a deal breaker for me.

It should.

The PS3 version should contain at the very least all changes up to 1.0.7.

Lemme see if I can find the blue quote for you.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
So I take it this means no remote play?

It's a requirement for ALL PS4 games so I don't see why not. :(
Reply Quote
View profile
Unlikely

The PS Vita (PSP is even worse) misses 2 buttons that the control pad has and hardly any titles support remote play on PS3, because of this.

They would've announced it already, as that's a pretty substantial feature to support and something that's actually quite design challenging as you'd have to come up with another control scheme, trust me making control schemes is a nightmare. I had a meeting for 3 hours yesterday talking about how effective pressure sensitivity on the buttons can make a difference to certain aspects in gameplay :P
Edited by Zombie#1529 on 6/12/2013 2:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
06/12/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Zombie
Unlikely

Well, it's a requirement for the PS4 version in order to be published. I don't want to wait for the PS4 release though. =(

06/12/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Zombie
The PS Vita (PSP is even worse) misses 2 buttons that the control pad has and hardly any titles support remote play on PS3, because of this.

Actually, all of the buttons are accounted for.

L1 and R1 are the normal trigger buttons.
L2 and R2 are mapped to the rear touchpad on the Upper Left and Upper Right corners.
L3 and R3 are mapped to the rear touchpad on the Lower Left and Lower Right corners.

Fig a)
-----------------------------
|.L2.....................R2.|
|......Rear Touchpad........|
|...........................|
|.L3.....................R3.|

No matter what the game is, all of the buttons are accounted for.

It's whether or not the developer turns on the option to allow Remote Play. The Vita is a really awesome piece of hardware but unfortunately doesn't have a very big library of games. With remote play though, you can kind of use your PS3's game library to get some use out of the device. Everything is rendered on the local Playstation, the video is just streamed to your device and the Vita becomes the controller. If the game can run on the PS3, it can be run via Remote Play which is why the PS4 is requiring that all games have this feature enabled for the Playstation Vita when the Playstation 4 is released.
Reply Quote
I'm also curious as to whether this will be a feature, I can't see why it would be restricted though. I'd love to see a blue response to this!

Being able to switch to the Vita when my housemates want the TV would be incredible.
Reply Quote
View profile
06/13/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Drothvader
Unlikely

Well, it's a requirement for the PS4 version in order to be published. I don't want to wait for the PS4 release though. =(

Actually, all of the buttons are accounted for.

L1 and R1 are the normal trigger buttons.
L2 and R2 are mapped to the rear touchpad on the Upper Left and Upper Right corners.
L3 and R3 are mapped to the rear touchpad on the Lower Left and Lower Right corners.

Fig a)
|.L2.....................R2.|
|......Rear Touchpad........|
|...........................|
|.L3.....................R3.|

No matter what the game is, all of the buttons are accounted for.

It's whether or not the developer turns on the option to allow Remote Play. The Vita is a really awesome piece of hardware but unfortunately doesn't have a very big library of games. With remote play though, you can kind of use your PS3's game library to get some use out of the device. Everything is rendered on the local Playstation, the video is just streamed to your device and the Vita becomes the controller. If the game can run on the PS3, it can be run via Remote Play which is why the PS4 is requiring that all games have this feature enabled for the Playstation Vita when the Playstation 4 is released.

Cheers for that but I dev on PS4/Vita so you don't need to tell me that ;)

I also have a few Vitas at home.

You took my post out of context, for an MVP I thought your reading skills would have been pretty high standard, I guess not.

I said that it's a design challenge to come up with a different control scheme when supporting the Vita, just because the touch pad at the back functions like the missing buttons does not mean that is what you're going to use on the Vita, as you can map to different buttons.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
06/14/2013 05:54 AMPosted by Zombie
I said that it's a design challenge to come up with a different control scheme when supporting the Vita, just because the touch pad at the back functions like the missing buttons does not mean that is what you're going to use on the Vita, as you can map to different buttons.

Ok, so would you have to design a new control scheme when all of the buttons are accounted for?

The only thing that's really missing is the pressure sensitive buttons for L2 and R2. However, AFAIK that pressure sensitivity isn't required for the control scheme.

Secondly, as development IS in fact planned for a Playstation 4 release, this "new" scheme would have to be worked out eventually anyway. So I guess I'm a little confused as to why a control scheme would be such a big deal in the first place considering it will be a requirement for the planned PS4 release.

It would be nice to have an optimized control scheme for the Vita, but it wouldn't be necessary to create one just to enable remote play.
Reply Quote
View profile
It's not about what's missing, it's about what feels right. Playing Diablo on the vita with verbatim controls of the PS3/4 might not feel right with the touch pad so they might need to swap them around and so forth.

This is the difference between good and bad implementation just because it's there doesn't mean it's what you ship ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]