Diablo® III

1.08 Spirit Bears Build (or Plague Bats/CoB)

View profile
This is the Well of Souls(WoS)/Bears Build I have been working on since 1.08 dropped.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gfhdXU!cfe!ZcZcYa

I was looking for a build that would kill very fast, have good mana support, and be able to deal equally with huge mobs and bosses.

For monster groups the build works as follows:

Hit group with Locust Swarm (for mana generation to support bears), wait one second for the Swarm to start multiplying, hit Soul Harvest (for DPS and LS boost), throw bears until monsters are dead or OoM. Then throw spirit barrage to clean up stragglers and to get mana regen going again.
Use SW, and Soul Harvest as needed to keep the mob from stun locking you.

For elite packs/bosses the build works as follows:

Lead off with WoS, keep it up until they close on you, use SW or Horrify as the situation warrants(use in rotation - these skills keep you alive), throw SH on them when they close on you, bear them/WoS them depending on range. Keep SW and Horrify up in rotation throughout the fight. Rinse and repeat until they are dead.

Passives:
BR - To reduce spell mana cost
RoE - Enables WoS spam. With the Zuni set you should be able to spam WoS with RoE indefinitely. This is your go to ranged spell, straggler spell, fast mover spell, and boss killer spell.
JF, SV, or GF - Try all three and see which you like best. GF if you are more tanky. I recommend most people use SV for the skill synergies as discussed below.

Skill synergies
Rush of Essence (RoE) - Spirit spells return 40 mana over 10 seconds. For my skills shown above I'm using 4 spirit spells: WoS, SW, SH, and Horrify. Plus you can spam WoS when low on mana if you have the zuni set and not too much attack speed.

Spirit Vessel - Not only a save your bacon spell, but it reduces cool down by 2 seconds for SH, Horrify, and SW -- which is a very nice thing.

Fighting bosses

Obviously Locust Swarm will not help you much in a boss fight. So I recommend you use Haunt or Mass Confusion instead -- both are spirit spells and return mana from RoE. You can also use Hex, which is not a spirit spell, but it regens very fast and is a great boss spell.

Substituting Plague Bats or Cloud of Bats for Bears

Either skill can be substituted for bears. I am currently running the build with Plague Bats. And since PB has fewer mana requirements than bears, I use Hex (for bosses) instead of Locusts.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 7/4/2013 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
great looking build! looks very capable of handling most if not all fights.

Was also wondering where your farming routes usually take you. Having read quite a few builds, I must say that players have tailored their builds to best suit their gear and farming route they take. That is, a build may work very well along their usual farming route but not work so well in other areas.

Your build though looks capable of handling most routes I've tried!
Any build/gearing that combines a close range skill (bears/bats) and far range WoS is very strong I feel.

But just a question, will your mana be affected enough for you to not be able to throw out much bears if you end up in a lone encounter with an elite pack with no trash mobs around for the swarm to generate mana for you? This I feel really depends on the farming route (mob density) - as some routes I've tried practically gives you endless trash mobs to feed off while other routes leave you with no trash mobs to feed off. Also I've never ran a 4 piece Zuni set so I have no idea if mana is going to be a problem in such cases.

Also I was really hoping you would become a bats user - I'm sure you will be able to come up with a good build for bats - do you think one could possibly swap out bears in your build and use plague/cloud bats instead? Would you try it out and let us know how it goes? =D
Reply Quote
View profile
Hi Eremite,

Routes - Works great in fields, crypts, Keep. Really haven't found any place it doesn't work great except it needs to be changed up a little for end bosses.

Fighting elite packs - Mostly turns into a WoS fight when far and bears up close, with SW and Horrify as needed. If bears OoM, then fall back on WoS. Someone with a 4 piece Zuni set should be able to Spam WoS when OoM from bears. So you never really run out of mana entirely.

05/25/2013 06:35 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
Also I was really hoping you would become a bats user
- Eremite, you have 4 bat builds yourself. I'm not sure what I can add to it. Maybe I could try plague bats, but I just can't get use to CoB -- I'm to use to throwing and moving to ever play a CoB build.
Reply Quote
View profile
Hi Eremite,

Routes - Works great in fields, crypts, Keep. Really haven't found any place it doesn't work great except it needs to be changed up a little for end bosses.

Fighting elite packs - Mostly turns into a WoS fight when far and bears up close, with SW and Horrify as needed. If bears OoM, then fall back on WoS. Someone with a 4 piece Zuni set should be able to Spam WoS when OoM from bears. So you never really run out of mana entirely.

Also I was really hoping you would become a bats user
- Eremite, you have 4 bat builds yourself. I'm not sure what I can add to it. Maybe I could try plague bats, but I just can't get use to CoB -- I'm to use to throwing and moving to ever play a CoB build.

That's what I thought...4 pc zuni won't leave you mana-less while interchanging between bears and WoS...I never managed to pull it off interchanging between bats and WoS...I almost always ran OOM. This has been a thorn in my flesh lol, never really able to combine smoothly WoS with bats.

Also I might have 3...or was it 4 lol maybe if we count the 1.07 patch bats build but I honestly feel like they are not the optimum build for most Witch doctors because most WDs play with 4 Zuni pieces and will very likely face less mana problems than me. So for the majority of WDs, my build/gearing may not be the best for them...
Reply Quote
Hey skywalker, I've been using your build for the past few days and I definitely like it more than using bats. Can you check my profile to see if it's worth using Spirit Vessel over Jungle Fortitude? On d3up, it seems that I would lose ~60k eHP.
Reply Quote
@skywalker,

This build is great! I'm having a ton of fun with it.

I did switch Horrify to Mass Confusion just for personal preference.

Build still is amazing! Thanks man.
Reply Quote
View profile
at's what I thought...4 pc zuni won't leave you mana-less while interchanging between bears and WoS...I never managed to pull it off interchanging between bats and WoS...I almost always ran OOM. This has been a thorn in my flesh lol, never really able to combine smoothly WoS with bats.

Also I might have 3...or was it 4 lol maybe if we count the 1.07 patch bats build but I honestly feel like they are not the optimum build for most Witch doctors because most WDs play with 4 Zuni pieces and will very likely

Eremite - Did you use RoE and BR? Because without those skills, you don't have a chance throwing WoS spam.

I'm on my phone so excuse the mistakes.
Reply Quote
View profile
@ Duke - Both passives have there uses, try them both and see which you like better.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 5/25/2013 8:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
looks fun
i'd prob throw jinx in place of horrify tho
love that lil sheeper ^_^
Reply Quote
View profile
Jinx, MC, Slamdance, your choice if you don't want or need horrify.
Reply Quote
I've been meaning to go back with a Bears/WoS build but haven't since coming back for the latest patch. I was running one of the WoS/Bears builds back when Ubers originally came out when WoS was bugged.

Going to give it a go, what MP would you suggest for my gear?
Reply Quote
View profile
Give it a go on MP7. Once you're comfortable with it try 8.
Reply Quote
View profile
Eremite - Did you use RoE and BR? Because without those skills, you don't have a chance throwing WoS spam.

Yup...tried a couple of combinations...RoE with BR or SA but neither worked =/ at some point I was always going to go OOM when switching between CoB and WoS XD Guess it might be my playstyle and the lack of the zuni bonus.
Reply Quote
View profile
05/25/2013 07:54 PMPosted by EremiteAngel
Guess it might be my playstyle and the lack of the zuni bonus.

Yes the 20 mana per second makes a big difference. But you seem pretty happy playing your firebats now and that's what counts.
Reply Quote
View profile
05/25/2013 08:07 PMPosted by skywalkerfx
Guess it might be my playstyle and the lack of the zuni bonus.

Yes the 20 mana per second makes a big difference. But you seem pretty happy playing your firebats now and that's what counts.

you're right! =)
Reply Quote
Hey skywalkerfx, hey am pretty new to d3, but my favorite so far is wd. I was wondering for your build would you recommend a skorn or 1h + zuni mojo so I can wear the visage of gu helm?
Reply Quote
I can't seem to manage this build since my mana globe goes down 60% from full spamming spirit barrage before the RoE passive kicks in enough to break even.

The build seems like it could be pretty solid all around if not for the mana management concerns I keep running in to.
Reply Quote
I used damn near the exact same thing until I switched over to CoB for the DPS and unlimited spam. I seem to clear a little faster with Bears though... Maybe I'll go back... This is the one I used, It's almost the same as yours.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gfjXUd!cfT!ZcYYZc

Beautiful build sky!! Very versatile!
Reply Quote
View profile
@ SunTzu - Don't think GI will create enough mana for bears without decent pickup radius. Locust/Devouring Swarm is mana on hit. So it is basically instant mana from groups. Your other skills are more elite killing skills which I might run for Act bosses.

@ Surijak - You need the 4 piece Zuni set for my build, or you probably need about 80 mana per sec regen with a fast one-hander. You have too much attack speed and not enough mana generation to spam WoS.

@ JPSIV - Looks like you are running SunTzu's version of the build with GI. If that is making enough mana for you than run with it. Two handers are about 40% more mana efficient than your knife. But if the mana is working out -- no worries.
Reply Quote
Hi Sky - I've been doing CoB for a while now with the build you see, more recently went with RoE instead of GF and it's quite fantastic. But I've always loved bears and would like to come back, I'll try your build out again and report back with a comparison.

Did you see my friend invite? I imagine you have a pretty full list. Hope to run with you sometime though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]