Diablo® III

"Systema der fungften bericht"? (D3 Logo)

The Diablo III Logo....
http://oi37.tinypic.com/2nc2omp.jpg
Hmm. Looks "normal."

MAGNIFY IMAGE.
http://oi37.tinypic.com/29zssw3.jpg

OH SHI-
http://oi42.tinypic.com/18osa1.jpg
http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=1232

Well that's a find. THING IS.....people were talking about this 4 years ago back in 2009. Now that we've had the game for a year....DO we

1. Know if this means anything relevant to the D3 universe. (For Ex: Did it appear in The Book of Cain?)
2. Know if it is based on something "real" (Compare the Mazoku chart to the real "Secret Symbols of the Rosicrucians of the 16th and 17th Centuries" and the diagrams in that book on which it is based)?

Here is the text and translation I found.

...Verdammte Seele(n)
Die Versucher
Die Laesterer
...Welche Lauter Unglück Böses Ausstreuen
Die Machten sonder Luft Herchen (Herrschen?)
Die Zauberer (Praestigiatores)
Die Raecher (Rächer) de.. laster thaten
Die Gefaesse (Gefäße) der Bosheit
Grausame Finsternuss (Finsternis)

------------------------------------------

...damned soul(s)
The tempter
The blasphemer
...which scattered evil and unhappiness
The power which reigned the air
The magician (conjurer)
The avenger against the wicked
The vessels of evil
Cruel darkness

I have HEARD some people make comparisons with Zoroastrianism....

the Ungrund (Abyss in English) in Zoroastrian stuff is this thingy that represents "The Void" or nothingness from which both good an evil emanates and to which they return once the link between those two is broken.

Which fits somewhat well considering Zoroastrianism has a Good God and an Evil God (Ahura Mazda and Angra Manu) which might compare to the two divine forces in the beginning of the D3 Universe (Anu vs Tathemet).

I'm making a guess "German" (albeit with misspellings and some grammar issues) was chosen to "stand in" for whatever the "common" language of Sanctuary is. (Obviously in universe NOBODY speaks "English" because England, etc dont exist) It could be comparable to how dog latin is used in Warhammer 40k to stand in for the "High Gothic" language while "Low Gothic" is represented with plain English text. In universe High Gothic was derived from a variety of Earth tongues, including English and Chinese, but the latin presentation makes it look foreign and keep the atmosphere established by the architecture and everything else.

We already KNOW of an "Abyss" (Ugrund), rather the VOID from within which Lilith is imprisoned and Trag'Oul and stranger things have come.

I think this is some kind of a model of what the Universe is thought to be like. I think the outer rim with * marks represent stars, with the circles being other heavenly bodies in orbits (though I am not sure of their exact importance). There appear to be at least 16 bodies being tracked, I'm not sure what the "E" at the center is.

EDIT:

SONUVA -THOSE DAM ROSICRUCIANS.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/img/14601.jpg
http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/img/14602.jpg

You can see the similarities in the design, but it has been modified and text changed. This is quite a much like the Mazoku chart actually.

TABLE IV, Figure. 53. Figure 53 has been designated the symbolic tomb of Christian Rosencreutz. The upper circle is the first world--the Divine Sphere of God. The triangle in the center is the throne of God. The small circles at the points of the star symbolize the seven great Spirits before the throne, mentioned in the Book of Revelation, in the midst of which walks the Alpha and Omega--the Son of God. The central triangle contains three flames--the Divine Trinity. From the lowest of these flames proceeds the first divine outflow, shown by two parallel lines descending through the throne of Saturn (the Spirit Orifelis, through whom God manifested Himself). Passing through the boundary of the celestial universe and the 22 spheres of the lower system, the lines end at point B, the throne of Lucifer, in whom the divine outpouring is concentrated and reflected. From him the divine light irradiates in succession to d (Capricorn), e (Gemini), f (Libra), g (Taurus), h (Pisces), i (Aquarius), k (Cancer), l (Virgo), m (Aries), n (Leo), o (Scorpio), p (Sagittarius), thence back to d. The zodiacal circles represent twelve orders of great and beneficent Spirits, and the smaller circles within the ring of fixed stars mark the orbits of the sacred planets.

TABLE V, Figure 54. Figure 54 is similar to Figure 53, but represents the universe at the time God manifested Himself through the character of Jupiter, the Spirit Sachasiel. Von Welling gives no reason for the change in the order of influx into the twelve orders of spirits, for the third world, for the adding of another circle and the interlaced triangles in the upper world, or for the letters Y and Z. In the upper triangle,
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 5/26/2013 12:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
NOW FOLKS HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS. Because..............

THINGS GET WEIRDER!!!!

Let's combine the "Systema der fungften bericht" with........

http://cloud.attackofthefanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/blizzard-titan.jpg

http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/11/31/59/30/ressem10.jpg

And then.......heeeeeeeey

http://img2.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/2012/02/10/diablo3_wow/diablo3_1.jpg

So the design and Diablo himself are connected.

But will it come back into the story?
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 5/26/2013 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Wonderful post. This is a lot to take in, but give me a moment to respond and hopefully I can help crack a mystery or two.
Reply Quote
Here is my personal interpretation of the passage:
...damned soul(s)
The tempter
The blasphemer
...which scattered evil and unhappiness
The power which reigned the air
The magician (conjurer)
The avenger against the wicked
The vessels of evil
Cruel darkness

Damned souls... Azmodan, Belial ... a hellish invasion on Sanctuary. Heaven. Kulle. The Nephalem. Leah. Death.

It sounds to me like a prophecy of the events of Diablo III.
Reply Quote
Here is a download to symbols, runes, and glyphs present in the Book of Cain. I will reference an encyclopedia of signs and symbols to try and find meaning in these and the runes in your linked pictures.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/momh944ebdk27mz/cain_glyphs.zip
Edited by Chris#1235 on 5/26/2013 3:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here is a download to symbols, runes, and glyphs present in the Book of Cain. I will reference an encyclopedia of signs and symbols to try and find meaning in these and the runes in your linked pictures.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/momh944ebdk27mz/cain_glyphs.zip

Let me add though that they ARE "linked' images.

I dont know where ALL of them necessarily originated -and in the case of the last and first ones particularly I did not make them.

I want to mention this, since I believe it may be relevant after looking at the uploaded image samples on mediafire.
http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Lovecraft's_Diary

Some of the signs seemed oddly familiar, and I suspect that at least some of the glyphs in The Book of Cain may in fact be a Font.

Even if they are an original one, presuming they only correspond to A-Z it might be possible to decode it.
Of course.........trying to do so might make you crazy like Leah...
Reply Quote
http://diablo.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/book-of-tyrael.jpg

Book of Tyrael coming out.

The sign also known as the "Sign of the Horadrim" which is in your media fire folder from the Book of Cain is also here.
Reply Quote
I have researched the Zodiac signs I saw on the image. Unless I missed any, the image contains Aries, Taurus, Pisces, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Capricorn, Sagittarius, and Aquarius. Nine is no special significant number as far as I'm aware.

Assuming the figure 'starts' at the top and goes down and to the right, it goes
No Zodiac -> Gemini -> No Zodiac -> Taurus -> Pisces -> Aquarius -> Cancer -> Capricorn -> Aries -> Leo -> No Zodiac -> Sagittarius

Gemini
I can only think of a few things when it comes to Gemini. It can either represent Andariel and Duriel, the so called "twins," or it could be referring to Inarius and Lilith, a very appropriate yinyang for Gemini. However, due to the findings with Cancer, I believe that Gemini is representing Andariel and Duriel.

Taurus
Although Taurus is generally seen as a feminine sign, I believe that it is meant to represent Azmodan. Taurus' element is earth, which I link to 'earthly pleasures.' Taurus also has an acute sense for all sensual delights, and a lust for all the pleasures of life.

Pisces
Pisces is seen as a feminine sign, with links to the womb and rebirth, and is considered to be the last sign of the zodiac. The two fish in the Pisces symbol are linked to each other, but separate; always being pulled by each other in the opposite direction. This leads me to believe that Pisces is representing Leah.

Aquarius
The most obvious clue about who Aquarius may belong to, is the fact that it often represents the 'mad professor' archetype. Aquarius is more concerned with spirit instead of body, someones being seen as having an emotional detachment because of it. The Age of Aquarius is all about freedom, humanitarianism, and change. I think that it is glaringly obvious that Aquarius represents Zoltun Kulle.

Cancer
Linked to romance, conception, birth, and the balance of positives and negatives. It is also linked to withdrawal and hiding within a literal or metaphorical shell, similarly to how Lilith and Inarius withdrew from the Eternal Conflict to have a safe place in Sanctuary. I guess I already gave it away, but I can only imagine that Cancer represents Inarius and Lilith.

Capricorn
Capricorn represents another duality; one with two distinct aspects of their nature. One aspect being mystical, dignified, and disciplined with supernatural powers. The other aspect being worldly, withdrawn, contemplative, hard-working, and sure-footed. Capricorn ma very well represent Tyrael.

Aries
The horns of the ram are symbols of lust and sexuality, which reminds me of Cydea or Azmodan. The element it represents is fire, specifically chaotic fire, which could be taken literally with Tathamet and Diablo. It also represents stubbornness, a quick-temper, aggressive ambition and determination. I am led to believe that Aries is meant to stand for Diablo.

Leo
Leo's element, like Aries', is fire. However, this fire is a controlled fire, specifically that of the Sun. Leo is linked to power, leadership, pride, and passion. When considering the connections between qualities, fire, and the Sun represented by Solarion, I can only imagine that Leo is meant to represent Imperius.

Sagittarius
Sagittarius is one that I'm having a more difficult time pinpointing. It represents nomadic behavior, the ability to see the big picture, spiritual enlightenment, and practicality. It also attempts to unify the material and the spiritual. My first guess is Deckard Cain, but may also be Trag'Oul, or a character we have not been fully introduced to yet.

There doesn't seem to be a specific order in which they need to be 'read' in, but in the Diablo story, they are certainly all connected.
Edited by Chris#1235 on 6/2/2013 7:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have researched the Zodiac signs I saw on the image. Unless I missed any, the image contains Aries, Taurus, Pisces, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Capricorn, Sagittarius, and Aquarius. Nine is no special significant number as far as I'm aware.

Assuming the figure 'starts' at the top and goes down and to the right, it goes
No Zodiac -> Gemini -> No Zodiac -> Taurus -> Pisces -> Aquarius -> Cancer -> Capricorn -> Aries -> Leo -> No Zodiac -> Sagittarius

Gemini
I can only think of a few things when it comes to Gemini. It can either represent Andariel and Duriel, the so called "twins," or it could be referring to Inarius and Lilith, a very appropriate yinyang for Gemini. However, due to the findings with Cancer, I believe that Gemini is representing Andariel and Duriel.

Taurus
Although Taurus is generally seen as a feminine sign, I believe that it is meant to represent Azmodan. Taurus' element is earth, which I link to 'earthly pleasures.' Taurus also has an acute sense for all sensual delights, and a lust for all the pleasures of life.

Pisces
Pisces is seen as a feminine sign, with links to the womb and rebirth, and is considered to be the last sign of the zodiac. The two fish in the Pisces symbol are linked to each other, but separate; always being pulled by each other in the opposite direction. This leads me to believe that Pisces is representing Leah.

Aquarius
The most obvious clue about who Aquarius may belong to, is the fact that it often represents the 'mad professor' archetype. Aquarius is more concerned with spirit instead of body, someones being seen as having an emotional detachment because of it. The Age of Aquarius is all about freedom, humanitarianism, and change. I think that it is glaringly obvious that Aquarius represents Zoltun Kulle.

Cancer
Linked to romance, conception, birth, and the balance of positives and negatives. It is also linked to withdrawal and hiding within a literal or metaphorical shell, similarly to how Lilith and Inarius withdrew from the Eternal Conflict to have a safe place in Sanctuary. I guess I already gave it away, but I can only imagine that Cancer represents Inarius and Lilith.

Capricorn
Capricorn represents another duality; one with two distinct aspects of their nature. One aspect being mystical, dignified, and disciplined with supernatural powers. The other aspect being worldly, withdrawn, contemplative, hard-working, and sure-footed. Capricorn ma very well represent Tyrael.

Aries
The horns of the ram are symbols of lust and sexuality, which reminds me of Cydea or Azmodan. The element it represents is fire, specifically chaotic fire, which could be taken literally with Tathamet and Diablo. It also represents stubbornness, a quick-temper, aggressive ambition and determination. I am led to believe that Aries is meant to stand for Diablo.

Leo
Leo's element, like Aries', is fire. However, this fire is a controlled fire, specifically that of the Sun. Leo is linked to power, leadership, pride, and passion. When considering the connections between qualities, fire, and the Sun represented by Solarion, I can only imagine that Leo is meant to represent Imperius.

Sagittarius
Sagittarius is one that I'm having a more difficult time pinpointing. It represents nomadic behavior, the ability to see the big picture, spiritual enlightenment, and practicality. It also attempts to unify the material and the spiritual. My first guess is Deckard Cain, but may also be Trag'Oul, or a character we have not been fully introduced to yet.

There doesn't seem to be a specific order in which they need to be 'read' in, but in the Diablo story, they are certainly all connected.

Great analysis.

Just wanted to note

06/02/2013 06:57 PMPosted by Chris

If we go by what Dante tells us in his Divine Comedy, there are NINE Hells.Of course the game lore have us 7 Evils.

That doesnt mean that the actual geography of hell cant include other major areas other than the territories of the 7. The Black Abyss at least is an 8th region from within which all Demons are spawned.
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 6/12/2013 3:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]