Diablo® III

WTB Full CM Wizard set (200m Budget)

Hi. So I've been a kiting wizard since forever, and I've decided to switch to CM, and need all the help I can get. I'd like to buy a full CM set. My budget is 200m, but I can exceed, if necessary but I would MUCH rather not. On top of the equipment, some advice for what skills to use and techniques would be great.

You can check out my equipment and see if there's anything you think I should keep and not swap out.

EDIT:
05/24/2013 07:44 PMPosted by Slayergramp
Alright, so I just went nuts with buying !@#$. I exceeded my 200m budget by about.... erm.... 300m I think.... but overall, I think this equipment kicks some serious %^-. Please view my profile, and tell me if there's anything else to change, or tell me my equipment is amazing, because complements are great :D
Edited by Slayergramp#1660 on 5/24/2013 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Let me think about it for a little while. I'm at work for 4 more hours, but in the mean time you can check out my profile and see if you like it.
Reply Quote
I can build one for you or help you build it yourself. Here is a link to a 90M set I put together last week. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Cflex-1288/hero/1298359 He already had WH, Pants, and crafted bracer but we can replace those inside of your budget. Also would be helpful to know what breakpoints you are looking for and what your main goal is (ubers or farming) as these can alter the build somewhat.
Reply Quote
I just built a set for 22m that can comfortably play MP7 and can handle MP10 (dps is way too low to make MP10 worthwhile to play tho). So 200m is quite a reasonable budget for a CM/WW build.

The ingredients for a solid CM/WW set are:
1. Attack speed! The higher your aps (attacks per second) the more pings you get per second with Wicked Wind and the faster you can cast spells. More pings per second == more crits per second == more APoC, more dps from Shocking Aspect, and more casts of Frost Nova, Explosive Blast, and Diamond Skin because of Critical Mass triggering more. More WW pings also means more life gained from Life on Hit (LoH). That said, the effect of attack speed on WW tics per second is not linear - WW tics go up in steps at certain attack speeds (we call these attack speeds breakpoints and the most important are 2.51aps, 2.73aps, and 3.01aps). So while hunting gear, set a target breakpoint and make sure your total attack speed will meet that breakpoint.

2. Arcane Power on Crit. This is the fuel that powers the engine. The higher your attack speed and crit chance, the less you need. At 2.51 with 53-56CC, you will need at least 20APoC. At 3.01 with 50ish CC, you could probably get by with about 17 (possibly less - I don't have much experience playing at that speed).

3. Crit Chance. You need high CC to trigger APoC, Critical Mass, and Shocking Aspect. Higher breakpoints can get by with lower CC but the more you stack the better the build works. Figure on at least 55 for 2.51bp and 47 for 3.01bp.

4. Life on Hit. Wicked Wind spams tons of hits letting this ability generate tons of health, allowing you to tank lots of damage. Again, more aps lets you get by with less LoH. Figure on around 1200 with 2.51bp to 850 for 3.01bp.

5. MITIGATION. Yep, all caps. All the LoH in the world won't help you if a little bit of burst damage wipes you out. Lag, range, and stacking elite dmg affixes will cut you to shreds if you don't have good mitigation. Figure on an average resist of 750 with a minimum armor of 4000 for MP8 and an average resist of 900 and around 5k armor for MP10. -% dmg from elite is also very powerful. (Chants set bonus, Litany, possible affix on armor).

6. Health. You want around 35-45k health for MP8-10.

There are certain legendary items that work well toward the above requirements and certain styles of CM builds that use different item "paths". For example, the Tal Rasha chest gives attack speed, making it the most popular CM/WW armor, but Zuni's chest gives great mitigation and provides amazing 2 and 3 pc set bonuses so some wizards will go for a tri-Zuni build.

The most commonly sought after legends for CM/WW are:
Head: Storm Crow with CC. It gives LoH, APoC, CC, a nice little bundle of stats, and some cool damage bonuses. Its the most popular CM/WW helm by far. The only other popular choice is an int/CC Mempo which gives CC, IAS, health, and AR. On a budget, a 5CC Storm Crow is the best option, by far.

Shoulders: Vile Ward with high int and vit. Or, for price efficiency, look for a <200int, >80vit, >150str VW instead (since the extra 150 pts of armor from strength is quite cheap compared to and extra 70 points of int on an int/vit VW). Some people use crafted shoulders but I think its very hard to craft one that outperforms even a midrange VW.

Neck: Blackthorne's is the most commonly used legendary ammy because it gives attack speed, LoH, %life, and a vit bonus when paired with BT pants. Mara's amulet is rarely used in niche builds that stack huge bonuses to Energy Twister CC. Crafted and rare ammys tend to be the most commonly used tho (easier to get high dps on a budget).

Chest: Tal Rasha gives int, vit, IAS, and, if you have the gold, solid mitigation. Look for one with any 2 of, AR, armor, -dmg from elites, and double int/vit roll. The other popular choice is Zuni's with armor and solid int/vit rolls. Zuni sets are more expensive, tho, because they generally require armor/AR Zuni boots, and an IAS or IAS/CC Zuni pox to work well.

Belt: Witching Hour. No other item comes close. Look for one with AR + vit or AR + armor.

Pants: Blackthorne's are far and away the most popular. A pair with good AR/armor provides outstanding mit, LoH, and a solid stat boost. Inna's are used for the CC and IAS, but aren't as popular because of the lack of stats and mitigation. Rares with huge stats and mit are also occasionally used.

Gloves: Tasker/Theo with CC and either CHD or AR are popular choices but tend to be pricy. Rare and crafted gloves with high IAS and CC, and as many as possible of, AR, int, vit, armor, and CHD are also very popular.

Bracers: Lacuni are the only legends that make any sense at all. You'd want a pair with AR and CC and either int/vit or armor ($$$). Crafted or rare bracers with good stats, armor, AR, and CC are generally cheaper and more effective. I recommend crafted unless you really need the IAS from the bracers.

Shoes: Several options here. Natalya's with int/vit are very popular because of the huge mitigation and the set bonus, but requires a solid Nat ring to take advantage of. Ice Climbers are also popular because of the huge int, AR, and life - especially with armor and/or vit rolls. The lack of native MS is a consideration tho - if not using Innas or Lacuni, boots are your only source of MS and MS Climbers are much more pricy. You can get by with no MS - its not super important, but it is annoying to walk everywhere at default speed. (TP-Wormhole helps, but I like to use other skills for the free slot). Zunis with AR (and armor if you can afford it) are also used in tri-zuni sets.

Rings: Natalya's is popular because of the native IAS and the set bonus with Nat boots. Look for ones with CC, CHD, AR, int/vit, or average damage (as many of the above as you can afford). Zuni's: the native CHD, int, and AR plus set bonuses make this one popular, but because IAS and CC are so important, getting one that meets the requirements for your build can be incredibly pricy. Unity (huge dps + LoH), Litany (huge mit, solid DPS, but pricy with IAS), Skull Grasp with CC and ET or EB bonus (potentially very high CC for class skills, ET being the most important, LoH, armor, and native IAS) are all also useable. Rares are also very popular.

OH: Chantodo's is the obvious choice because of the attack speed and set bonus with the equally viable Chantodo wand. If using a Mempo build, you will NEED an APoC source (which cost much much more than non-APoC Forces). Triumvirate with APoC is the only other source used by CM/WW wizards tho Triums only get used in dagger builds (rare and expensive).

MH: Chantodo's Will is the most popular for good reason. Huge base attack speed makes hitting breakpoints much easier and native APoC and int + the awesome set bonus all work to make this BiS. There are two Chantodo paths: open socket (higher DPS, but harder to hit higher breakpoints) and IAS (much easier to hit high bps but harder to get good dps with). Either path is fine, tho OS wands are harder to hit 2.73bp on a budget with. Slorak's with bonus ET CC is potentially very powerful, but requires SC and APoC Force because of the lack of native APoC. I think its better for niche builds that stack ET CC (and tend to cost a lot). Finally, black daggers with LS, IAS, OS, and CHD are potentially the highest DPS of all, but cost incredible amounts.

For a much more in-depth explanation of the build mechanics and gear optoins - check out PieHole's guide:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728753771

Your current gear is meh - I'd plan on buying new everything, tho I'd give the chest and source low priority if you have trouble keeping on budget. with 200m and 13 slots to buy, you have about 15m per slot. Try to go under budget on most slots and save as much gold as you can for a good wand. And DO plan ahead! Just buying items without having an idea for what breakpoint you want to hit and how much total IAS you will need to hit that BP (broken down into how many IAS items you will need and which items will need to be 9IAS and which can be less) is a good way to end up bankrupting yourself on a set that almost works but not quite.
Edited by ATGOWTWT#1159 on 5/24/2013 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Damn ATG.....nice guide. Very well written. Mine goes a little overboard sometimes. This is great for a TL;DR alternative.
Reply Quote
That wall of text is a TL;DR?

I love the wiz forums.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
That wall of text is a TL;DR?

I love the wiz forums.

Lol....yep, TL;DR big time.

Have you read my SNS guide? 'Nuff said.

Love the forums too.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 5/24/2013 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Hey Para....maybe we can tag team build....like we did a few weeks ago with Sever. That was fun.

I'll be on after 11PM, like usual.

Did you ever find a way to do mumble?
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 5/24/2013 11:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/24/2013 10:59 AMPosted by PieHole
Damn ATG.....nice guide. Very well written. Mine goes a little overboard sometimes. This is great for a TL;DR alternative.

TY. I was going to put a link to your guide in it but forgot. I'll add it.

I usually just tell people to check out your guide. But I've been asked so many times to help people pick out "CM/WW items" in the giveaway thread that I've been planning to make a dumbed down guide for a little while now. I'll be copying the meat of that post to my thread soonish.
Reply Quote
Hey Para....maybe we can tag team build....like we did a few weeks ago with Sever. That was fun.

I'll be on after 11PM, like usual.

Did you ever find a way to do mumble?

I downloaded the app to my phone. Not great for playing because of push to talk but should work nifty for AHing. OFC it would still probably be quicker in game than running to a corner to type a message.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
@ATG....

Yeah...that'd be great to make a TL;DR guide, with pretty much what you just said. People have remarked that they'd like a short version....perhaps I can link you're when you've posted it? or add it to the end of my guide (with credit, ofc)?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
@para

I did push to talk for awhile, then just changed over to the option where it automatically activates your mic. I did it the first time, and someone mentioned that it was echoing. Nobody has mentioned it as a problem since. Unless they're just thinking to their self, "Damnit, there goes Pie again, echoing this (*&^&*%&^ place up again. ()*&(*&!!"
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
yeah...can't count the number of time's i've died while messaging. Or leave the group you're playing with behind for awhile while you finish up a conversation with someone. Sucks.

Maybe try mumble again tonight.
Reply Quote
yeah...can't count the number of time's i've died while messaging. Or leave the group you're playing with behind for awhile while you finish up a conversation with someone. Sucks.

Maybe try mumble again tonight.

Sounds good do you know if Droid has the option to turn off PTT? I did not see it.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
Not sure. I have iphone.

I have mine set to "voice activation"

But the software will not let me turn on "Echo Cancellation"

Like I said, I don't think this is a problem for me. Well see.
Reply Quote
Wow! You guys are incredible. Thank you so much ATG. All this will be taken into consideration when I build my set. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
Alright, so I just went nuts with buying !@#$. I exceeded my 200m budget by about.... erm.... 300m I think.... but overall, I think this equipment kicks some serious %^-. Please view my profile, and tell me if there's anything else to change, or tell me my equipment is amazing, because complements are great :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]