Diablo® III

How to make someone's day.

Hey there!

So, a few weeks ago I decided to help out a new player, bought him a cains set just to make his leveling experience a bit quicker and a bit more enjoyable. Today he messaged me with a huge thankyou as he'd just reached level 60, he told me that the game was great, and it made me remember how much I had enjoyed this game on release, and when I had reached level 60 before my friends (the diablo challenge ;)) Fortunately for me, I was sick and didn't have to go to school on D3's launch so it was just amazing to have the time to experience this brilliant game.

So, I decided to just help him out a little bit more, for a new player, anything over 100k is basically a lot of money, I was a bit confused because I've been used to having over 100-200m for some time now.

I decided to join his game, on my barbarian with nothing but a half decent skorn equipped. He told me that his dps was at 50k, and I sat there with a smirk on my face because I knew he was about to "crap" his pants.

I said "You see this weapon i'm wearing?"
"Yeah?" he replied
"It's all yours I said" dropping it

The amount of "OMGWTF?" spam I got in chat after that actually made me the happiest player in the world. The weapon cost me a mere mill, but the amount of happiness I gave this new player was well worth over 100m.

So what's the point of all this?

Well often I find that a majority of this community complains about how "unfun" this game is, they sit there with their billions upon billions of gold and wonder what to do.

What I've found is that you can give yourself a little bit of happiness just by giving the smallest amounts to someone who needs it more than you do. So maybe you don't need to keep farming just to get more billions, more pointless gold. maybe to make the game fun for yourself again, you might have to pretend like it is like release again, and make yourself poor (use all your gold for gems, put them on a different character that you're not using, anything you want) but it seems that playing as if it was a new game entirely would make it fun.

Enjoy :)
Reply Quote

Well often I find that a majority of this community complains about how "unfun" this game is, they sit there with their billions upon billions of gold and wonder what to do.

You basically just proved everyones' point. This game was fun once upon a time. But it was designed in such a way that it is easy to max out your character's levels and easy to become a billionaire, so you sit there and say, what now? That should have never happened.

I spend most of my gold on friends because I literally have nothing else to do short of leveling a new character to 100. And I've just never found a point to it. I do not get enough enjoyment out of the game to start over like I did in D2. The story and gameplay does not make up the majority of the D3 experience. Unfortunately it's the AH and the gold.
Edited by Carver#1671 on 5/25/2013 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I completely agree Carver, but there's only so many things that we can do now to make it fun for ourselves.
Reply Quote
Kudos to you.

Reminds me of the way HC was last summer people helping new players leveling and dropping gear and gems to help them out.
Reply Quote
I think it shows that D3 is an awesome short term game, and an alright long term one.
Reply Quote
05/25/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Hygeia
I was sick and didn't have to go to school on D3's launch so it was just amazing to have the time to experience this brilliant game.

Thats suspicious!

Anyway, i have a couple people on my friends list who i helped with free itens. Any gear i find thats not worth at least 1m i just give it for free.

It´s nice to help people at the early inferno, help them to actually be able to farm inferno on their own. Thats nice what u did, hope more people do the same!
Reply Quote
I don't know how people become billionaires on here. The most I've ever made was 50 mil and I got lucky.
Reply Quote
That's awesome to hear. I was broke (am still broke, less than 2m ) and maybe around lvl 40 so on one character, and someone in chat had needed help with running a boss. I decided what the hay, Ill go help him out, seems nobody in gen chat was going to, and I am in a helpful mood. (mind you I am not all that social, and never join pub games, for the simple fact I don't want to get berated over my barbs gear and be yelled at)

That made lasting friendship with him and later on, he helped me out in return with a skorn and several million gold later on. He still plays on occasion and I am still pleased I could spend my own time helping out someone else. This was long ago. I dont see many newbies in chat anymore. Just 80% trolls. It saddens me.

Needs more players like you Hygeia, and less trolling.
Reply Quote
when i got a new upgrade for my character i always give out the old one to players in the general chat. only giving it to players' main that need it as upgrade!
Reply Quote
05/25/2013 07:53 PMPosted by ThompGun
I don't know how people become billionaires on here. The most I've ever made was 50 mil and I got lucky.

It's all about one or two good items actually. Dropped a great Nat's ring once, sold for 1.6 bil. With it, geared a bit my characters, bought a 70mil helm for a friend, cashed out the rest and bought a gift for my girlfriend. ;)
Reply Quote
05/25/2013 07:53 PMPosted by ThompGun

The most I've ever made from a sale is 1 mil... while I started playing in December, I really wonder if playing for another seven months will get me as far as some of you guys...

05/25/2013 11:06 PMPosted by WildFire
when i got a new upgrade for my character i always give out the old one to players in the general chat. only giving it to players' main that need it as upgrade!

That's a pretty good idea. I sometimes struggle to sell my noobish (to the rest of you I suppose) upgrades even for cheap.
Reply Quote
05/25/2013 07:36 PMPosted by Carver
But it was designed in such a way that it is easy to max out your character's levels and easy to become a billionaire,

It's easy to be level60, it's not easy to be P100.

It's definitely not easy to become a billionaire if you don't use RMAH or don't flip.
Reply Quote
05/25/2013 11:13 PMPosted by bearr

It's all about one or two good items actually. Dropped a great Nat's ring once, sold for 1.6 bil. With it, geared a bit my characters, bought a 70mil helm for a friend, cashed out the rest and bought a gift for my girlfriend. ;)

Smart man :)
Reply Quote
Yes OP, I have done this for a number of new players and I can't say it was a generous action. It was more a selfish action on my part. I got so much enjoyment out of helping other players out that it could be said I did it for me more than for them.

Whatever is your motivation, just do it. It will make someone feel great.
Reply Quote
just hope it doesn't come and bite you in your bum.

i stopped helping newer players because after doing that, all they do is wait around and pester me for more handouts and spam inviting me to carry them through content way above what they're capable of.

that and the constant '-link terrible item- can sell?' whispers.

i used to explain to them that the item was worth nothing because it lacked A, B and C mods etc but i gave up because after 5 minutes, they'll link another terrible item without A, B and C mods and ask the same thing again. and they don't get the hint when they keep asking, and you don't reply.

that and/or they just take the gear you give them and sell it on the AH and gloat about how much they made. then turn around and complain that their gear is still terrible and beg for more gear.

out of 10 people i helped, only 1 didn't ask for future handouts.

so screw helping people.

9 out of 10 of them aren't worth my time. as for the remaining 1 guy who is, too bad. you only have the other 9 of them to blame.
Reply Quote
05/25/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Hygeia
I decided to join his game, on my barbarian with nothing but a half decent skorn equipped. He told me that his dps was at 50k, and I sat there with a smirk on my face because I knew he was about to "crap" his pants.

A fresh 60 and he's sitting at 50k DPS? I smell BS.
Reply Quote
Hey there!

So, a few weeks ago I decided to help out a new player, bought him a cains set just to make his leveling experience a bit quicker and a bit more enjoyable. Today he messaged me with a huge thankyou as he'd just reached level 60, he told me that the game was great, and it made me remember how much I had enjoyed this game on release, and when I had reached level 60 before my friends (the diablo challenge ;)) Fortunately for me, I was sick and didn't have to go to school on D3's launch so it was just amazing to have the time to experience this brilliant game.

So, I decided to just help him out a little bit more, for a new player, anything over 100k is basically a lot of money, I was a bit confused because I've been used to having over 100-200m for some time now.

I said "You see this weapon i'm wearing?"
"Yeah?" he replied
"It's all yours I said" dropping it

The amount of "OMGWTF?" spam I got in chat after that actually made me the happiest player in the world. The weapon cost me a mere mill, but the amount of happiness I gave this new player was well worth over 100m.

So what's the point of all this?

What I've found is that you can give yourself a little bit of happiness just by giving the smallest amounts to someone who needs it more than you do. So maybe you don't need to keep farming just to get more billions, more pointless gold. maybe to make the game fun for yourself again, you might have to pretend like it is like release again, and make yourself poor (use all your gold for gems, put them on a different character that you're not using, anything you want) but it seems that playing as if it was a new game entirely would make it fun.

Enjoy :)

Keep that to yourself next time...as much as I think it's great you help others no need to broadcast it on the boards...unless you just seek a lot of pats on the back.
Reply Quote
I salute you, Sir

This is exactly what this community needs, and a blue is nowhere to be seen :(

cheers! I'm planning to help gear my friends when they get back to diablo 3 after itemization patch
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]