Diablo® III

True summoning build

Gear
Head - The Grin Reaper
Rings - The Wailing Host
Weapon - Maximus
Rest your choice

Skills
-addling toads to proc fetishes from passive, fire chained demon from maximus, skeletons form wailing host and splitting into 3 mirrors from grin reaper.
-Zombie dogs
-Gargantuan
-Rest of skills your choice

Passives - Fetishes, zombie handler, third your choice

I don't have great gear and only have 16k dps, but I'm pushing through inferno right now and it's a lot of fun. What's really nice is the passive and gear summons can proc at the same time! The most I've had is 6 fetishes, 2 archer skeletons, 1 sword skeleton, 4 zombie dogs, 1 gargantuan, 1 demonic slave and 2 mirror images. That's 17 summons! And that's only with current gear, more is sure to come. The dps suffers a little, but it's still more than enough for the summons to handle.

I can't calculate the exact damage done, but I've seen the skeletons hit 15k and the chained beast hits 36k+. The fetishes don't do a ton of damage like the zombie dogs, but it's still 10 mobs right there. Even if future builds are even worse gear (stats on these items not great) brings me down to 10k dps, I'd still do it to have a true summon build that has like 30 mobs following it.

What do you all think?

--edit

I like that the build is effective and still leaves a passive and some open skill choices. So far the addling toads has kept mobs fighting each other even when I have fewer than 10 summons.
Edited by Tomnnn#1392 on 5/27/2013 7:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
haha.. i think it's a cool build ;) maybe not for higher mps, but if you're in the mood to run lower mps with all those pets that could be cool
Reply Quote
It took my like 20 minutes in act2 to realize the dogs had died. There's a lot of clutter in this build lol. I'll try it on a higher MP and see if it works out. For inferno mp0 and only 16k dps, I'm still "steam rolling" through mobs. I'll try act1 on mp10 and report back..
Reply Quote
Before jumping into mp10 I'd suggest trying mp1 especially with 16k dps.
Reply Quote
05/27/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Khroggaq
Before jumping into mp10 I'd suggest trying mp1 especially with 16k dps.

That might have been a good idea xP I didn't die, but it took me like 40 seconds to kill each mob. But mp10 seemed to make the summoning proc more frequent. I was 'spamming' skeletons from the wailing host ring set while the regular summons were on cooldown.

Hopefully blizzard will see this combination of gear and keep the low dps in mind when other summoning equipment gets made. It definitely fixes the witchdoctor being the WORST summoning class. The monk and wizard have much better summons... but this helps a little. I'll give mp1 through mp4 a try now.
Reply Quote
First off, there's no reason your dps should suffer. I have spent maybe an average of 50k gold on each piece of my gear, and I have a very similar build but with 100k dps.

Also, the fact that you are taking Maximus over Gidbinn drastically affects the rate at which your fetish sycophants spawn because they spawn based on number of attacks, i.e. attack speed. Of course, the Maximus demon is likely worth it because of the damage output and tankability compared to the little fetishes you get from the Gidbinn, but if you are running with a Maximus I highly suggest spamming attack speed on all of your gear. I currently have about 2.65 attacks per second and fetish sycophants spawn like crazy.

Additionally, My skills include Hex, Fetish Army, and Wall of Zombies, which all allow me to manipulate the battlefield with ease. And instead of Addling Toads (trust me, I tried them out) I use Corpse Spiders. The reason is that the Addling Toads are very close range and put you in a lot of danger. I know it may not be a big problem for you now, but if you want to keep using that build you should consider a change. Seeing as Corpse Spiders have a very long range in comparison and automatically attack enemies they are great for not wasting damage. This is especially important considering you'll have to spam your primary attack in order to keep your fetishes out. I swear, I get as many as a dozen or more fetishes out at a time using this technique.
Reply Quote
05/27/2013 09:27 AMPosted by Tomnnn
Hopefully blizzard will see this combination of gear and keep the low dps in mind when other summoning equipment gets made. It definitely fixes the witchdoctor being the WORST summoning class. The monk and wizard have much better summons... but this helps a little. I'll give mp1 through mp4 a try now.

You know, they're planning on releasing a Barbarian set that makes their triple summon pets become permanent. I even power leveled a Barb to 60 just to try it out when they do it.

Also, can you link your character? I'd like to examine the quality of your items.
Reply Quote
First off, there's no reason your dps should suffer. I have spent maybe an average of 50k gold on each piece of my gear, and I have a very similar build but with 100k dps.

Also, the fact that you are taking Maximus over Gidbinn drastically affects the rate at which your fetish sycophants spawn because they spawn based on number of attacks, i.e. attack speed. Of course, the Maximus demon is likely worth it because of the damage output and tankability compared to the little fetishes you get from the Gidbinn, but if you are running with a Maximus I highly suggest spamming attack speed on all of your gear. I currently have about 2.65 attacks per second and fetish sycophants spawn like crazy.

Additionally, My skills include Hex, Fetish Army, and Wall of Zombies, which all allow me to manipulate the battlefield with ease. And instead of Addling Toads (trust me, I tried them out) I use Corpse Spiders. The reason is that the Addling Toads are very close range and put you in a lot of danger. I know it may not be a big problem for you now, but if you want to keep using that build you should consider a change. Seeing as Corpse Spiders have a very long range in comparison and automatically attack enemies they are great for not wasting damage. This is especially important considering you'll have to spam your primary attack in order to keep your fetishes out. I swear, I get as many as a dozen or more fetishes out at a time using this technique.

I get what you're saying and I REALLY wanted a 1 hand summoning weapon so I could use lidless for the shielding quirk, but the chained demon is up almost 100% of the time, tanks like crazy, has fire chains and has higher damage than the gargantuan. The purpose of my toads is to make enemies attack each other, which has saved me a few times when the gargantuan was on cooldown. The build isn't giving me the low dps, I just have random gear from 1.04 when I last played. At the moment, I can comfortably stand in the edge casting addling toads while 2-3 skeleton rangers and 4-6 fetishes protect me while the horror mimics run around like morons and the chained demon, dogs and gargantuan do some damage.

05/27/2013 09:41 AMPosted by Brock

You know, they're planning on releasing a Barbarian set that makes their triple summon pets become permanent. I even power leveled a Barb to 60 just to try it out when they do it.

Also, can you link your character? I'd like to examine the quality of your items.

Wonderful lol, a BARBARIAN will be able to outsummon a summoner class. I'd link my character but it really does suck ^-^ I also have no idea how to do that but I know if you click my name or whatever you can see me characters.

And to both of you, I love quirky gear with random effects. My dps has suffered because I couldn't resist getting legendaries with special effects... I'd go for skycutter so I could have the lidless shield, but right now the maximus has a better summon with a fire chain between it and myself. I also am using firewalkers so I can be molten. I'll be replacing that gear only when summoning boots and daggers are released :D Until then, I'll work on other parts of my equipment to make up some dps. I'll grab the gidbinn and see if it suits my style... Maybe the numbers will be more fun. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reply Quote
Seems like you're missing your murloc amulet
Reply Quote
05/27/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Broon0666

You're right, I am.... THANK YOU! I almost went for the amulet that makes you surrounded by arcane energy when struck... but no... must obtain all summoning equipment...

Also, I moved the maximus to the enchantress. I was trying to solo without a merc for some crazy reason... but she can have the tank. I'll use the gidbinn.. AND the murlocket :D thanks everyone.
Reply Quote
Posted by Broon0666

You're right, I am.... THANK YOU! I almost went for the amulet that makes you surrounded by arcane energy when struck... but no... must obtain all summoning equipment...

Also, I moved the maximus to the enchantress. I was trying to solo without a merc for some crazy reason... but she can have the tank. I'll use the gidbinn.. AND the murlocket :D thanks everyone.

Can you have a one on enchantres and one for you? for 2 of them?
Reply Quote
Wonderful lol, a BARBARIAN will be able to outsummon a summoner class. I'd link my character but it really does suck ^-^ I also have no idea how to do that but I know if you click my name or whatever you can see me characters.

And to both of you, I love quirky gear with random effects. My dps has suffered because I couldn't resist getting legendaries with special effects... I'd go for skycutter so I could have the lidless shield, but right now the maximus has a better summon with a fire chain between it and myself. I also am using firewalkers so I can be molten. I'll be replacing that gear only when summoning boots and daggers are released :D Until then, I'll work on other parts of my equipment to make up some dps. I'll grab the gidbinn and see if it suits my style... Maybe the numbers will be more fun. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll also point out right here that the next patch (not sure if you heard yet or not) will allow every legendary to drop at any level. That means three times as many legendaries for level 60, and some gear that sucks now (Gidbinn, the Grin Reaper) will become much more viable. Even gear that's moderately useful will become even better(wailing host, litany of the undaunted) because they're only ilevel 62 now.

And lastly I ran the numbers on the Barb build and found out that he'll be able to dual wield the Skycutter and the Genzaniku to have two powerful summons from the weapons alone, and he can get the triple summon set and the wailing host/litany set bonus for about 7 or 8 summons at once.

Oh, and before I forget, keep an eye out for the next patch especially because of the Murlocket http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-murlocket. It will have the chance to drop at level 60 and fill out the amulet slot with another summon. Also, If I click your name it brings me to your SC2 page, so I can't see your characters unfortunately.
Reply Quote
Posted by Broon0666

I'm not sure. But darn, no murlockets on the auction houses :(
Reply Quote
Posted by Broon0666

Yes, you can have two Maximuses but DON'T FORGET THIS: Followers don't benefit from set bonuses so don't give any follower the Wailing host/Litany.

Also the Murlocket doesn't drop in-game, sorry buddy. They listed it in the current Known Bugs section, but I bet it'll be fixed with the next patch.
Reply Quote

I'll also point out right here that the next patch (not sure if you heard yet or not) will allow every legendary to drop at any level. That means three times as many legendaries for level 60, and some gear that sucks now (Gidbinn, the Grin Reaper) will become much more viable. Even gear that's moderately useful will become even better(wailing host, litany of the undaunted) because they're only ilevel 62 now.

And lastly I ran the numbers on the Barb build and found out that he'll be able to dual wield the Skycutter and the Genzaniku to have two powerful summons from the weapons alone, and he can get the triple summon set and the wailing host/litany set bonus for about 7 or 8 summons at once.

Oh, and before I forget, keep an eye out for the next patch especially because of the Murlocket http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-murlocket. It will have the chance to drop at level 60 and fill out the amulet slot with another summon. Also, If I click your name it brings me to your SC2 page, so I can't see your characters unfortunately.

That doesn't bother me as much since I'm enjoying the lidless for now. I guess the next patch thing is good news, it'll give me time to save up lots of gold. I didn't realize the murlocket wasn't out yet... I look forward to having it.

Also, thanks for the all the advice from everyone. The faster attack speed is giving me more summons from the other gear and passive fetishes while the enchantress holding the maximus is still pretty good. Now just for the murlocket...
Reply Quote
Alright buddy, good luck out there. On a final note, try getting a Murlocket for your follower too when it gets in-game.
Reply Quote
Great, thanks everyone. This got more popular than expected. Hopefully a developer notices and makes some summoning boots and shoulders and stuff... That would make any class an amusing summoner. Can't wait for the next patch, or at least a hotfix for the amulet.

--edit

If anyone else comes across this forum... is the murlocket just for show? I'm only interested in summons that can attack. On some youtube videos, the murloc just kinda followed the player around... and got stuck a lot.
Edited by Tomnnn#1392 on 5/27/2013 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow, I had no idea they fixed it. I saw the videos, it looks like it's just cosmetic. And all this time, I was expecting it to summon a fighting creature. If it ever goes up on AH I'll check it out, but sorry for all the misdirection.
Reply Quote
It's pretty amazing what has become viable, once they nerfed the hell out of Inferno and dropped in the MP system. I like it :) I would have gone with a high dps Gidben for even more Fetish spawns. I remember when I used it with RoT it seemed to always keep 2-3 fetishes at all times.

With all those summons, you should most definitely be running the Life Link Passive, and Looking for thorns gear. It's not too hard to easily get over 20k in thorns damage.
Reply Quote
It's pretty amazing what has become viable, once they nerfed the hell out of Inferno and dropped in the MP system. I like it :) I would have gone with a high dps Gidben for even more Fetish spawns. I remember when I used it with RoT it seemed to always keep 2-3 fetishes at all times.

With all those summons, you should most definitely be running the Life Link Passive, and Looking for thorns gear. It's not too hard to easily get over 20k in thorns damage.

Actually, I'm 99% certain the Fierce Loyalty passive only affects Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan, so there is no added benefit to having the extra summons compared to any other build .
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]