Diablo® III

Ice Armor - Crystallize, Your thoughts.

I recently discovered this skill while messing around the other night, and I was wondering if any other wiz's out there have tried it? I know its not going to be as popular as Energy Armor or Storm Armor, and if your a well geared wiz, Ice Armor - Crystallize is pretty useless to you. But as a mid geared player I like the added armor you get ( stackable up to 3 times ) and also the 12% melee reduction. Not sure about the "Melee attackers are chilled or frozen" and how often/ good that works but it couldn't hurt. If your ever bored (like I was) mess with it a little bit and see how you like it =)
Reply Quote
Great choice for zero freeze melee channeling builds, especially when starting out. Practically invincible between that and Safe Passage. For awhile used Crystallize on my Sleet Storm wizard and thus begun my love affair with armor. I'm up to 5k with Glass Cannon, now.

For a freeze wizard, micromanaging Safe Passage is probably better choice. 30% reduction is about the same as 3000 armor on my wizard, says D3up.
Reply Quote
melee reduction is garbage, buffed armor is great, as long as you already geared for armor.

it is a great choice if you can't take the -20 max ap from prismatic/pinpoint, but don't have the mitigation to run the only armor that matters: shocking aspect.
Reply Quote
I find ice armor with Crystallize to be very effective. The melee reduction is ok, but the triple stacking 20% armor bonus is very strong so long as you don't let it lapse. Also don't underestimate the freeze and chill effect. It tends to ensure you only get hit once by any melee enemy that reaches you.

If you are running a frost nova cm wizard then be sure to occasionally let some little trash mob critter melee you to keep the 3 X 20% armor bonus going.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Some runs have been done in the past if you want to see older conversations for Crystalize and Archon. Different for SNS, SA has no alternative.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197182751

http://youtu.be/k5YRWNM7_U4

From March 2013.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 6/30/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
^Why are you on forum while on vacation? :-P
Reply Quote
It's great when running Meteor or a non-freeze build...buffs the heck out of your armor!!
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
06/30/2013 12:29 PMPosted by jenpeezey
^Why are you on forum while on vacation? :-P

It's like 5 million degrees in Vegas right now. Waiting for the sun to go down and MAYBE it'll be somewhat more reasonable to step outside. Ughh
Reply Quote
It's ok. Depends on whether you have LS. If you have enough LS, Reactive Armor > Ice Armor hands down.

EDIT: Also, you get more mit from prismatic armor. Unless you need the chill or freeze, eh... Ice Armor ain't so hot.

The mitigation is actually pretty close between prismatic armor and 3 stacks of crystallize although I do think you are correct in that the prismatic armor has a slight edge there. I should go calculate it out and compare the two with some different armor set ups and see how they compare. 60% armor bonus + 12% melee damage reduction isn't bad plus it freezes anything that touches you.

The reason I won't use Prismatic Armor is the hit you take on your AP pool. It doesn't matter much if you are just spamming the generic SNS build but if you are running spells with high costs its a different story. I run a meteor build so the Prismatic armor is a no go for me.
Edited by MeltingSky#1359 on 7/1/2013 12:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/28/2013 09:52 AMPosted by Shaggy
melee reduction is garbage

melee reduction is pretty good. It's far better than ranged reduction. It reduces RD damage, molten explosions, maniac explosions, and arcane sentry. I think it reduces the damage from the savage beast charge also, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think it's a decent alternative to prismatic armor. I find myself in between needing to use prismatic armor and being able to survive without mitigation from an armor spell so I stick with pinpoint for the most part. I only use prismatic for my mines and SS builds, but crystalize would do about as much and comes out as better against melee damage.
Reply Quote
07/01/2013 12:33 AMPosted by Loroese
melee reduction is pretty good. It's far better than ranged reduction. It reduces RD damage, molten explosions, maniac explosions, and arcane sentry. I think it reduces the damage from the savage beast charge also, but I'm not 100% sure.

Who say melee reducetion reduces RD...noob. RD are not melee damage or ranged damage. Want to reduces RD:
1.Up your armor
2,Up your physiscal resistance
3.Up your life ganerate, LoH, Life steal
Edited by DevilHunter#6873 on 7/1/2013 3:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I decided to actually run some hard numbers though an EHP calculator rather than doing rough estimates in my head and this is what I found while comparing Ice Armor Crystallize to Energy Armor both with and without the Prismatic Armor rune. I used by own stats as a base. Rather than list them all out I will just list the two that really matter for this test which is my base All Res and Armor.

Base Stats

All Resist 512
Armor 4016
Base EHP 297k

Results:

EHP with Basic Energy Armor: 354k
EHP with Prismatic Energy Armor: 408k
Melee EHP is the same for both.

EHP with Full Stack Crystallized Ice Armor: 382k
Melee EHP with Full Stack Crystallized Ice Armor: 434k

Basically what this boils down to is that the mitigation from these two spells is pretty much identical when averaged out although I think Prismatic Armor has the overall advantage when it comes to mitigation for a wizard simply because we tend not to face tank as much and get hit by range more but that really comes down to play style.

When it comes to the spells side effects ice armor is superior although it is also a matter of play style as to just how much of a difference that makes. Ice Armor's freezing effect is always a plus but it benefits face tankers more.

Prismatic Armor's side effect of decreasing your AP pool by 1/5th is always negative but hurts some builds more than others. It hurts builds with expensive spells like meteor the most because they cause you to have big spikes in AP use. This is actually the main reason I simply won't use Energy Armor. I run a meteor build and it is very hard to spin up with a small AP pool. You really need to get a couple of meteors falling right off the bat.

The ice armor has one requirement that is negative which is that you have to get hit occasionally for the crystallize to stay stacked but in practice it is very rare to see your ice armor at anything less than 3 stacks. The only time I have ever had an issue with it is with certain bosses.

All in all the two spells are pretty comparable.
Edited by MeltingSky#1359 on 7/4/2013 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I use Crystallize armor all the time. I really like it.

I have 4,385 armor so the 60% increase gives me 7,016.
All my resists are 735 or higher and when I need to, I install a life% gem in my helm so I can get my hp above 40k.
Reply Quote
Its odd you never really see people using ice armor given how solid it is. I think a lot of people just don't realize that there are other viable options besides energy armor.

Then again just about everyone I see runs a CM/WW wizard where the -20AP really isn't much of an issue.
Reply Quote
Its odd you never really see people using ice armor given how solid it is. I think a lot of people just don't realize that there are other viable options besides energy armor.

Then again just about everyone I see runs a CM/WW wizard where the -20AP really isn't much of an issue.

I think it's mostly because CMWW should run SA because of the huge dps gains and Archon either runs pinpoint for a combination of DPS and EHP or just runs Storm Armor with scramble for faster clears. Ice armor just isn't as good an option as those for those builds.
Reply Quote

I think it's mostly because CMWW should run SA because of the huge dps gains and Archon either runs pinpoint for a combination of DPS and EHP or just runs Storm Armor with scramble for faster clears. Ice armor just isn't as good an option as those for those builds.

What about for Archons looking to proc Cold Blooded?

I know a Scoundrel with Buriza can take care of that, but I much prefer my Enchantress with her armor buff and Maximus procs.
Reply Quote
07/07/2013 05:26 PMPosted by Covenant
What about for Archons looking to proc Cold Blooded?

archon is a ranged build -- most likely most mobs can be killed even before they get close, id rather use scramble as my top archon armor buff bec. of the speed
Reply Quote
For the SS build I am running, I have used both Ice and Prismatic. I like Prismatic just a bit more, and the reduction in AP hasn't affected me too much. I can stand in a pack and SS comfortably.
Reply Quote
I always utilize ice armor - crystalize solely because it saves me while face tanking. I run a sleet storm build right now so its essential I can survive and take some hits.

I desperately need more attack speed right now though =(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]