Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy (#2)

just to report in....I am still working on my shield monk...
she survives in mp 10... I started put her on mp 10 uber games... she cannot face tank skeleton king for long yet. :(

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Luffy-1946/hero/28934550

will continue to upgrade her... (including red gems on weapon...)

I also play shield barb and shield WD. They all do well in mp 10.
Reply Quote
Wondering if anyone can help me out. I've saved up 1.7b doing runs with my barb and I'm trying to upgrade my gear on the monk. Any help or if anyone has anything that is an upgrade for sale, much would be obliged.

Cheers
Reply Quote
hey guys, been toying with my S/B monk since 1.0.3 and lovin' it all the way.

been eyeing the final piece of the puzzle in my gear for the longest time: A GG stat stick shield.
current shield is pretty decent i guess, but i'm really seeking out a 300dex/300vit/10cc type of shield.
either of light res/all res/+armor are bonuses! block% isn't really important to me.

anyone with an idea of how much I should be putting aside for a shield like that? GG shields are incredibly rare, but the demand for it is pretty low as well, so they are insanely difficult to price.

if someone has something like that to sell, all the better! :)

thanks a bunch, guys.
Reply Quote
^ hope u find your dream shield one day bro.
Reply Quote
Well, I've been working with my new build for about a week now and have noticed a few things.

1st: Thanks to the increased attack speed and extra 10K damage mobs melt away like butter in MP8, loving that.
2nd: I'm a lot more vulnerable to Elites after losing 60 resist, 500 armor, and 450 LoH even with a 3% LS 1270 DPS weapon equipped (no socket, drops my dps by about 10K and health by even more). *Minions drop faster though. I"m also vulnerable to a few normal enemies now too, such as those guys with the huge maces, they can effectively 2-3 hit me where before I never had to blink at them.
3rd: liking the increased movement speed more than I thought.
4th: Finding that at this point it's going to be very difficult to upgrade without spending around 50-100 mil on something and without sacrificing sustainablility. Upgrading my rings I can effectively get a 20-30K boost to damage but I lose sustain and possibly more resist.

Conclusion, in order to maintain effectiveness without losing my sustaining power my next upgrade is probably a socket/LS weapon....and preferably something above 1200 dps so that the DPS loss with the weapon change can be made-up with ring and/or amulet upgrades. I know my gloves can easily upgrade, but again about 50mil to get a decent upgrade that's worth-while, spending 25mil for less than a 1K DPS boost just doesn't seem worth it. Am I wrong?

Auctions, here I come....Equipping Sniping Mouse, lock and load!
Reply Quote
Lancer, I added you in game and I will talk to you and help you out a bit! :)

As for me, I am at a spot of where I don't know where to go, do I spend millions and upgrade something small or go back to dual wield until i can find a good upgrade?
Reply Quote
At a certain point, upgrades will be billions and you need to decide on what you want to gear for. Balance, DPS, armor, etc.......

If you can survive fine on your preferred MP level, there isn't a need to try and faceroll MP10 unless you want to. And if you want to, better flip items, etc...to acquire the gold you need.
Reply Quote
Kinda off topic but Jco, do you know anyone with a shield that keeps at least the same DPS and resists as mine bit has more life?
Reply Quote
Lancer, I added you in game and I will talk to you and help you out a bit! :)

As for me, I am at a spot of where I don't know where to go, do I spend millions and upgrade something small or go back to dual wield until i can find a good upgrade?

Oops, didn't have the right move-set in there, I was farming last night. My usual skill-set is up now. I switch WoL with other things depending on my mood.
Reply Quote
@Wannabee

I know a few guys with shields that would help you, but I haven't seen most of them for awhile. I think PuddingHead is back now, you may want to send him an add. I think he may have some shields in stash. I had some but I gave them all away a longtime ago.
Reply Quote
@Immortal Your resists are dropping off way too low, try for around 600 if you can. 3 piece inna's doesn't do much IMO so maybe a crafted chest piece would be better? I still think vile wards are a better option to crafted unless you are very lucky so you may want to look into those, easy to get a bit more resist and armor. Your belt needs an upgrade as well, get 1 with AR. Shield could use an upgrade as well, vit, % life, better all resist roll would help.

@prawnstar You nailed it when you said gg shields are incredibly rare. They cannot be priced. If i were you i would put aside 2 bill to cover anything the AH produces. I have never checked RMAH or 3rd party sites for prices but that is an option.

@Lancer Good to see you progressing, try for a shield with a better resist roll, better even if you can get dual resist.

@Ghost Keep an eye on AH for arcane witching hour, they are a monk only item regarding resists mainly and you can snag a high dex item for a good price.
Edited by oldman54#6284 on 5/31/2013 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@oldman thanks for the feedback! I'm currently bidding on a AR WH and an Inna's with AR as well. Do you think it would be better to craft gloves at this point in my gear like I've been doing or switch to chests?
Reply Quote
@Immortal Chest is probably what i would go for but you may want to check out AH, Blackthorn's, good cindercoat or a rare would suit. Rare on AH atm for 350 b/out, 192 dex, 224 vit, 55 ar, 576 total armor, 2 sockets. Just no idea if that is a good price or not cause i rarely check them but it does seem reasonable and may be hard to beat crafting.
Reply Quote
05/31/2013 06:11 AMPosted by KriegNoobie
^ hope u find your dream shield one day bro.

found something very close. catch you in a run soon. our last 4 monk run was madness! :)

05/31/2013 06:46 PMPosted by oldman54
@prawnstar You nailed it when you said gg shields are incredibly rare. They cannot be priced. If i were you i would put aside 2 bill to cover anything the AH produces. I have never checked RMAH or 3rd party sites for prices but that is an option.

just bought a pretty decent stat stick today. pretty sure it was overpaid but oh well. +life would've probably been better than a socket but i'm possibly just nitpicking.

------------------------

can't agree more with some of the points listed over at the old thread and here. most of the things killing me are the pools of elemental damage on the ground. a top shield offers a whole lot of DPS and eHP. 300dex+10CC is a massive boost to DPS and the extra armor/vit/+life/res the shield gives, lets us more or less just facetank everything even in mp10 most times. if you've 20% block, all the better.

These are the following 8 affixes I actively look out for on a shield. anytime you can get at least 5 of the 8 attributes below, you're onto a really good offhand:
Dex
Vit
Dex/Vit
All Res or Armor or Single Res or +Life (any 2 of 4)
CC

Story of my monk life: became an S/B monk mostly out of laziness. Too much of a hassle to run circles around all the arcane lasers/desecrators/etc while i was DW-ing back then. and then dying from DW glass-cannon status during lag spikes. swapped over to S/B, never regretted it, still lovin' it. :) death from lagspike no more!
Edited by prawnstar#1239 on 6/1/2013 3:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Id love if someone can take a look at my build and gear and give any advice

unfortunately my purse and luck are on the light side so im scrapping for gear
Reply Quote
^wtf. an impostor!
Reply Quote
@LrdRahl You need to get all your items with the same elemental resists, that's 3 items. Boots should be easy to improve on and get movement speed. Gloves are weak and crafting will get you a better pair. Same with ammy, crafting is the way to go. And last for now you really want to get a bit more LOH on your weapon, you should be able to snag 1 pretty cheaply off the AH. Suggest you look at lots of monks and try different skill sets, yours i have never seen before, may be ok for you though.
Reply Quote
@lrdrahl

You couldn't pick a different btag eh? Hopefully you aren't trolling LordRaahl, who got himself banned. So you know, AngelThirst is the same guy and some of us are hoping he doesn't get that account banned.
Reply Quote
Lol

Nope nothing to do with him I have been LrdRahl on so many games for so long...

Before you call me imposter i think you're forgetting Wizards First Rule :P

I even have a Grace tattoo on my back so I think I've earned the right to the name

For the slight on my honor ill take donations in piles of gold or phat lewt, or more advice (thanks oldman) :P
Reply Quote
It's not exactly unique: http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_Rahl

Not really a surprise that more than one person might end up with it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]