Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy (#2)

anyone able to shoot me a PC on my old shield? I don't really use it anymore. A couple months ago I got an offer for 325m but i'm not sure what it's worth now that the shield market is so screwed up right now. stats are
1131 armor
52 str
302 dex
10%CC
12%life
56 fire res
70 all res
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 08:44 PMPosted by Immortal
anyone able to shoot me a PC on my old shield? I don't really use it anymore. A couple months ago I got an offer for 325m but i'm not sure what it's worth now that the shield market is so screwed up right now. stats are
1131 armor
52 str
302 dex
10%CC
12%life
56 fire res
70 all res

how much block?
Reply Quote
I like my shield with a slow spear or mace for TR http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/garyprime/media/Screenshot037_zpsd16ecb81.jpg.html?filters[user]=139098716&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Reply Quote
Can i please get some suggestions for specs ??

I'm changing every game at the moment trying to find something that will work my gear. Unfortunately i have about 800k to my name lol so changing gear isn't an option.

I play HC exclusively. My goal is really up my mp level so i can farm machines and eventually get a HC hellfire ring to aid leveling in RoS.

Cheers, Vamp

edit: I can currently survive comfortably on mp 5 act 1. Though i haven't tried crypt runs at all.
Edited by Vamphyri#1371 on 2/4/2014 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2014 08:22 PMPosted by Vamphyri
Can i please get some suggestions for specs ??

Solo? Groups?

My general purpose solo farming build that maximized the MP I can play on safely is:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aXhgdS!XTU!abcabc

Unfortunately, my experience may be different from yours in that there's no way I'd feel a could survive comfortably on MP-5 with your gear as you say you can. There's simply not enough EHP for me there. In a group that might change - of course it depends on the group. I'd be really leery of stepping into MP-5 pubs with your EHP, for example.

If you're running with friends, basically you usually want to run a build with Overawe and Cyclone Strike. I typically run this in MP-5 groups:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#afkgdS!XTU!aaaabc

One thing you should always do is have an escape skill. Basically, Dashing Strike:Quicksilver for me, although some people swear by Tempest Rush. (Personally, I always feel like it'll rubber band at the worst time).

I know you mention you can't change your gear, but I really, really want to steer you away from poorly rolled legendaries and set items in the future. Usually, if you can't afford to get all good rolls on your set items, you're better off using rares. That goes for most non-set legendaries as well. There's some leeway with Witching Hours and Ice Climbers, be you're at least in the 10s of millions for those, usually.

As an example, I did a real quick AH search, This ring was less than 1m gold, buyout:
http://i.imgur.com/XQi5Jau.png

Roughly speaking, it's probably about as good as your Nat's ring, but I imagine you could sell your Nat's ring for much more. And you could probably find better boots than your Nat's boots for less money as well, given that you no longer get the set bonus. It should be possible to make money upgrading your boots and ring to rares.

As for future crafting, you've got your Vit and Dex crafts backwards IMO. Generally, if you're going to be crafting any Vit gear at all, then gloves are Vit crafts because single Dex already rolls up to twice as high. So you do better on average crafting Dex shoulders and Vit gloves than the other way around.
Reply Quote
Thanks for taking the time Demiwraith.

When i say survive on mp 5 i literally mean that, i can't kill with any great speed or efficiency.

What you say about getting rid of the mediocre green & gold rings true. I had been looking for away to replace the nats combo but i feel like they should be better than the rares so i never quite take the plunge. I have a couple rare boots, let me know what you would do

1. Gain: 4.6k hp, 2.2k dps Lose: 78AR 230Armor 12%Ms 7%cc 6%dmg reduce
2. Gain 8.5k hp, 3.5k dps Lose: 139 AR 230 Armor 125Ms 7%cc 6%dmg reduce

Having just written that out, i think i have to stay with the nat's boots. Maybe sell the ring? Its pretty rubbish but does give me the 7%cc set bonus. Am i right in thinking those are my weakest pieces?

Onto the builds, I'll give both a go today and let you know how they go. I am curious why Seize the initiative is popular? The armor i gain from it gives me an extra 4% mitigation compared to Sixth sense which gives me 10% dodge which ties in nicely with backlash.

Thanks again for the help Demiwraith

Oh and ill swap my crafting around
Reply Quote
Don't sweat the gear. Just realize that you pay a "legenary premium" with most legendaries and set items that isn't really worth it unless you're getting good rolls on them. It's likely that you could sell your ring and boots and buy rares for less than the money you make and end up with more EHP & DPS, but you'd be without a ring and boots while doing this. I'd just make the best out of what you've got. AH is going away in a few weeks anyway :)

02/05/2014 10:52 AMPosted by Vamphyri
Onto the builds, I'll give both a go today and let you know how they go. I am curious why Seize the initiative is popular? The armor i gain from it gives me an extra 4% mitigation compared to Sixth sense which gives me 10% dodge which ties in nicely with backlash.

Oh this... OK first off you need to realize that dodge sucks :)

Actually, it does work nicely with Backlash, and if you're running on low MP and/or you're willing to sacrifice the defenses for more damage, fine. But dodge does not work on ground effects. basically, most of the damage done to you will come from all those Elite affixes that can't be dodged. So it's a much weaker form of mitigation than armor and AR, which apply to everything in the game.

Secondly, some math. Lets say you had 92% damage reduction from armor and you could go up to 96% damage reduction. Sounds like just another 4%. But what happens is that with 96% reduction you actually take only 4000 damage from a 100K hit instead of 8000 with 92%. You're actually taking half the damage and so doubling your EHP.

Want to see it even more clearly? Say you go from 96% to 100%. Now your EHP goes from whatever it is to infinite.

FYI, going from 62% mitigation from armor to 66% gives you about 12% more EHP. Defensively STI is much more beneficial than Sixth Sense.

Anyway, the solo build I give is simply the one I've used for maximizing the MP I can play on safely. Now, like I said, with your character I'd feel squishy. Like I was a bad hair day away from death on MP-5. I don't hit that with much less than 1m EHP, typically. I've played a lot of HC and bad things eventually just... happen.

But I play a lot of areas in the game and don't bother to switch my build all that much based on where I'm playing. I spend a lot of time in Act-2, for example, where Backlash is more useful. I'm honestly not sure what my gear requirements would be if I was optimizing for just running a few Act-1 areas, for example.
Reply Quote
I found my shield yesterday and going to play with shield for awhile. It has Cold res, which is my choice of Res and monk skill WoL. Check it out and tell me what you think,..
My profile :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Maykind-1974/hero/39374354
Reply Quote
No shield now :P
Reply Quote
Well, after 70+ glove crafts I have yet to get one that beats my current gloves. Think I'll save my gold now. I was originally going to get a IAS, CD, Socket, LS 1200+ DPS Sword....but again, I think I'll save my gold now, as the increased DPS just isn't worth the cost it'll take to get one. I can handle MP10 solo pretty well as is so bring on RoS!
Reply Quote
Find this shield for cold res monk. If interested, we can negotiate price.

http://imgur.com/PMLfwzJ
Reply Quote
@maykind, I would prob go ah route... maybe rmah. Don't think there is much traffic here anymore. Considering is 8% cc I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a whole lot for it, no ar limits it even more. GL though. After not being able to sell my GG shield on AH I went rmah and it sold for a little above $20, which this close to ROS am happy with. Between that and my other EHP heavy shield stuffs I was able to pay for ROS and then some.

My current monk am leveling does a little more dps but I definitely feel things a bit more losing both vit and armor (~4k, 700) and forced me to switch up innas top and bottoms up a bit and go away from sti/owe free.
Reply Quote
@bapdawg.

Agreed with all you have said. However, I wont put this up on AH or RMAH. The shield is too specific for certain build. I know the CC is 8% only but the 6% Wol bonus skill makes up for that. There is no AR, but has cold res which good for cold res monk. Yeah...too specific Cold res monk who plays Wol build.

If no one is interested. I will just use it myself. I am actually a cold res monk who play WoL build, no wonder the shield drop for me, talking bout loot 2.0 before loot 2.0 :)

I have actually tested it, clearing speed is more or less the same with my DW. dps with shield is ard 155k and dps with with DW is 200k.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
Let the age of the Shield begin!! Our block % actually means something now that dex-dodge has been nerfed!
Reply Quote
Well, I did it. Said I wouldn't but I did, spent 666mil on a new sword cause I wanted a good one for a while now. I know the prices will plummet near RoS, but I had Gold to waste.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Lancer-1591/hero/26617268

How'd I do? Roughly 17K DPS increase over my previous fist weapon (1263 DPS, 3% LS, Socket with Green Marq, and 115 Vit). I switched in an amythest into my chest to make up for some of the Vit loss.

Strangely enough, and this really surprised me, Sword and Board is better in damage vs. duel wielding the two weapons! S&B edged out DW by just about 1K damage. Heal wise there's no contest with 5.9% LS DW of course, and of course S&B wins on toughness

NOTE: The profile on the website does NOT show the correct stats on 2 peices of gear (shoulder and glove), and the overall stats for the character are not correct.
Edited by Lancer#1591 on 2/27/2014 8:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Loving S&B again especially for this patch. Cheers to the people here.
Reply Quote
I crafted 15 shields and most were huge upgrades to the stupidly expensive shield I was using.
Reply Quote
02/27/2014 05:28 PMPosted by RWild
I crafted 15 shields and most were huge upgrades to the stupidly expensive shield I was using.

I haven't tried crafting any yet.. I may give it a go so I can hopefully grab up some more vit. I am around 58k in game I believe which between that and dropping down ar to 575 ish and the loss of sti makes t5 tedious at times and t6 absolutely bad.

Owe is going to be a bigger thing, and unless you want to gem ar I think it will be prudent to get it. Bracers you can either have the standard 4 (d,v,ar,cc) or mod 4 (%dam,d,v/ar,cc) but not both damage mods and ar or vit or even loh. I am looking forward to checking out some fire skills though at this dps/ehp as my tyr/sever monk is literally melting a2 on master and prob try up to t2 tonight w some fire damage and demon % at only 117k dps.
Reply Quote
Craft a shield ASAP.

After reading RWild's post I figured I'd give it a shot. After about 20, I got one that was solid:
300+ Dex
300+ Vit
9.5 CHC
46 AR
4% melee reduction
1.6% Blind

A few of the shields I crafted in 20 tries were competitive if I was using a different OWE resist.
Reply Quote
I am a proud new member of the SnB club (technically FnB). Thanks to some sweet crafts, I now have the DPS to kill treasure goblins on T4 solo.

242k DPS unbuffed and 988k toughness

@Demiwraith

I never even thought about crafting shields. Is it just the level 62 recipe?

@Lancer

DW should give significantly more DPS with the right weapons and assuming they are roughly equal. Toughness will take a huge hit, but DPS should be about 10% to 15% higher.
Edited by AZsnowstorm#1818 on 2/28/2014 1:11 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]