Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy (#2)

My edps is around 1.9m against ghom if you wanna get a feel that way
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 07:51 PMPosted by Zuggles
Anywho. Friend me folks and I'll see you in game.

Away as normal!
Reply Quote
I do have a shield set up for fun sometimes. :)

http://www.d3rawr.com/d-5EfQ4
Edited by KimSulki84#1308 on 6/12/2013 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
All right, I got new rings both around 5mil each, I do not have them equipped.

Ring 1 Union Vigor
71 Strength
34 Vit
54 Resist All
9% IAS
167 Armor
46% Crit Dam
Socket (Emerald)

Ring 2 Union Bite (Yes, both named Union oddly enough)
86 Dex
71 Vit
73 Resist All
9% IAS
26% Crit Dam
146 LoH

66K EHP boost
6K DPS boost

Good right? Playing with them, wrong. I went into Act 3 MP 7 and tried them out against Elites...namely Plague/Molten/FireChain/Arcane/Desecrate. Despite the boost to each area it was a downgrade. Skill Set is still on. I could not sustain in the damage effects as well as the rings that I have equipped. The 800 LoH along with Crit Hit that I have made up for the DPS and EHP boost I would have had with the two rings I described. I think this is due to the LoH sustaining I get with that amount and 2.25 attacks per second, plus 17-20% more cyclones produced at 50.5% crit versus 43%. The damage boost wasn't enough to provide enough LS sustain to make up for it. Wrong rings or am I just not ready for those rings yet?

NOTE: I did experiment with different combinations of the 4 rings, but the ones I have kept me alive longer. I didn't notice much of a difference in killing duration.
Reply Quote
Try this build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aUeXSk!UgX!aZbbca
Reply Quote
Makes sense, I'll give it a go.
BTW: Working on crafting Bracers. Who knew good CC was hard to craft on those? :P
Reply Quote
@Lancer
I've always believed that the #1 stat for determining the maximum MP you can play on is effective life per second (eLsS). EHP is helpful. ANd DPS lets you kill things faster. But the real question tends to be "Are you healing damage faster than you're taking it?"

I tend to try to roughly calculate my eLPS though using stats like APS, DPS:ePDS, EHP:HP, LoH, LS, etc. I tend to only think of an item as a "true" upgrade if it raises all three of eLpS, EHP, DPS (or at least raises one of them while leaving the others more or less constant)

I find that when using a shield, you're most starved for sustain because weapons are the only really good source of it. That's why the "ideal" weapon usually has some LoH to go with it's LS. Usually, due to budget and availibility of items, I feel like I need to pick up supplementary sustain on at least some other items (helm, pants, or jewelery). This often winds up cutting further into a S&B Monk's DPS, unfortunately.

Anyway, 700 LoH is not something you can just give up easily, as you've apparently learned the hard way. +5% DPS is not worth it if you're giving up 20%-30% of your eLpS.

How much are Unity rings going for lately? With their bonus to elites, I find that they're a pretty decently balanced ring between eLpS and DPS.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 6/12/2013 2:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I hear ya. I'll check Unity's too. The price of decent LoH rings has really climbed since I got mine, the two I have I got for around 10-15 mil each, now it's hard to find a decent IAS/CC/LoH+300 one for under 30mil that will provide something additional in terms of health/dex/armor/resist.

Thoughts on a different weapon.
Keep this one or go for a lower DPS with LS/Socket/CD? My original plan was go with a pure-black weapon and get a good Tal's Amulet...well, lets just say I have a long way to go with my funds.
Reply Quote
A weapon with LS and LOH is tremendously helpful. Without the LOH, you'll have endless issues on higher MP for sustain. I'd not concern myself much with DPS until you're able to sustain yourself on whatever your preferred MP level is.
Reply Quote
06/12/2013 07:44 PMPosted by jco310
A weapon with LS and LOH is tremendously helpful. Without the LOH, you'll have endless issues on higher MP for sustain. I'd not concern myself much with DPS until you're able to sustain yourself on whatever your preferred MP level is.

Couldn't agree more on this. LS alone won't suffice to facetank nasty elites in mp10. Additional sustain is required.

I need to add LoH somewhere in my setup. Kinda hard to get LoH in weapon but I will keep looking for one.
Reply Quote
View profile
Agree 100% on Jco's statement. LOH for S&B monks are a requirement.
Reply Quote
You guys are using blackthorn pants right? I can run mp10 without even using lifesteal because of those pants.

I know you lose a boat load of dps when using blackthorns instead of inna but you also gain a boat load of ehp so it kinda evens out.
Edited by Calamity#1271 on 6/13/2013 1:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You guys are using blackthorn pants right? I can run mp10 without even using lifesteal because of those pants.

I know you lose a boat load of dps when using blackthorns instead of inna but you also gain a boat load of ehp so it kinda evens out.

You have another 600 from your MH dude, I do not think 400 LoH from BT pants would suffice in mp10. Unless you are running in a party then that's a different story.
Reply Quote
And of course LOH gives more sustain at higher APS, so don't forget about increasing your attack speed as much as possible...blazing fists + combo strike is a good freebie
Reply Quote

You have another 600 from your MH dude, I do not think 400 LoH from BT pants would suffice in mp10. Unless you are running in a party then that's a different story.

Correct I was just suggesting the pants to replace the need for loh on your weapon ontop of lifesteal
Reply Quote
I ran with BT pants for a long time! The problem with them is they cling onto you and they are so hard to let go of. I wanted the high attack speed so I finally cut the cord and went Inna. I keep eyeing good Amulets and Rings with LoH, but decent ones are expensive now.
Reply Quote
just go with Unity
Reply Quote
I tried quite a few combination of gear.
Doing quite a lot of testing in all mp 10 games.
Here is my build for mp 10 Act 2 VotA run...no death ( or very few with some careless mistake):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Luffy-1946/hero/28934550

I listened to Jco and other suggestions from here and upgraded some pieces.

I can maintain above 500 all resist without OWE. and I picked Pacifism for VotA.
Pacifism passive saved me a lot of times when I got jailed/frozen over crap.
It's kinda fun to just let them freeze me multiple time consecutively...no death.
To attack those elites with molten and plague, I use deadly reach and/or hundred fists. Dont use thunderclap. This way I can stay out of the crap and still keep attacking them.

I don't like BT pants...I don't like my attack spd being slowed down. I feel good to keep my attack spd at 2.0 or above.
Now I dont use Bell (WoL)... it sux up my spirit too fast... I like to keep more spirit to make sure the cyclone tornado are there when I need it....

With this build, my dps can be self-buffed above 300k.

I can't find a good sword for my monk....he is using one of the best...INT sword..sigh..

If there is any way to improve my build, make her kill faster, please let me know.
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 6/13/2013 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I tried quite a few combination of gear.
Doing quite a lot of testing in all mp 10 games.
Here is my build for mp 10 Act 2 VotA run...no death ( or very few with some careless mistake):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Luffy-1946/hero/28934550

I listened to Jco and other suggestions from here and upgraded some pieces.

I can maintain above 500 all resist without OWE. and I picked Pacifism for VotA.
Pacifism passive saved me a lot of times when I got jailed/frozen over crap.
It's kinda fun to just let them freeze me multiple time consecutively...no death.
To attack those elites with molten and plague, I use deadly reach and/or hundred fists. Dont use thunderclap. This way I can stay out of the crap and still keep attacking them.

I don't like BT pants...I don't like my attack spd being slowed down. I feel good to keep my attack spd at 2.0 or above.
Now I dont use Bell (WoL)... it sux up my spirit too fast... I like to keep more spirit to make sure the cyclone tornado are there when I need it....

With this build, my dps can be self-buffed above 300k.

I can't find a good sword for my monk....he is using one of the best...INT sword..sigh..

If there is any way to improve my build, make her kill faster, please let me know.

get a new glove/litany with ias/inna's temp with high dex roll with vital
Reply Quote
Agree 100% on Jco's statement. LOH for S&B monks are a requirement.

"on mp10 and ubers" :)

For those talking about BT pants, if you go with them I believe you will need ias on both rings plus either ammy or wh to get to 2 aps. Or get lucky and get a trifecta glove craft. Even then ~2 aps is what you should aim for.

@luffy- looks good! I keep a litany in my pack for if need be times but my found rare out dps's it by around 8k. Avg damage works very well w S&B.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]