Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy (#2)

If there is any way to improve my build, make her kill faster, please let me know.

Boots: Gold find? Replace with eitehr a Dex/Vit roll (200+ Dex) or a straight Vit roll if you don't have the cash. The main thing is: get the highest Dex+Vit you can afford. You can always change purple gems green. So 250 Dex / 50 Vit boots are the equivalent of 300 Dex / 0 Vit if you switch a gem too.

So long as you're using purple gems a similar logic applies to all your gear: you can consider 1 Vit = 1 Dex and can consider things like AR and +LIfe% (on your shield, for example) to be the equivalent of more Dex because they let you switch over gems to Dex as well. And those gems represent another +7K DPS.

And that's all beyond the fact that more AR and defense means you maybe CAN actually stand in a desecration pool or two a bit longer with FoT, which translates to killing things faster. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that you find Pacifism is better for you that OWE. You could be getting another 200+ AR from OWE. In fact, I think you're still better off at least using OWE instead of STI right now. (This is especially true if you just pick up cheap Poison Resist boots)

(I see more people using Pacifism lately. I may give it a shot over STI and see how it feels. I've been skeptical of it, though)
Reply Quote
@Demiwraith
Pacifism is definitely better than OWE in my build.
With the current patch, plague is the big killer for me, molten come next. With/without OWE, my poison resist is still remain at 700ish...only the fire resist is lowered. The rest of the resists being over 500 are not a concern for me. The 75% dmg reduction while immobilized rocks!

I just check the d3up website. The difference w/ or w/o OWE the total dmg reduction doesn't change much. Using OWE to replace STI......that will reduce my armor reduction quite abit.
I can try later to see but the numbers not looking too good at the moment.

I set myself some tests for the build...
1. Vota farming,
2. mp 10 Act 3 keep lvl 3 portal first elite
3. mp 10 Larder
4. mp 10 azmo
5. act 2 final boss (forgot the name)

I can do the first 3 no problem.
No. 4 tank kill azmo standing at one spot...i can't do it w/ my monk.
My WD with 6% LS skorn can do that w/ my eyes closed. With 3% lifesteal...I can close my eyes and hear him die.

No 5.....if you can stand at one spot tank kill that boss, you are god....
(I think I got no. 5 done with my barb carrying a stormshield and with warcry.....need to check..)
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 6/13/2013 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Demiwraith
With the current patch, plague is the big killer for me, molten come next. With/without OWE, my poison resist is still remain at 700ish...only the fire resist is lowered. The rest of the resists being over 500 are not a concern for me. The 75% dmg reduction while immobilized rocks!

I just check the d3up website. The difference w/ or w/o OWE the total dmg reduction doesn't change much. Using OWE to replace STI......that will reduce my armor reduction quite abit.

You just have to check d3up and see that your EHP goes up from 616K to 634K when using OWE vs STI. OWE is just better for you right now. Fun fact, if you buy some relatively cheap poison resist Nat's boots and witch a gem in your pants to an emerald, you get more DPS, more EHP, and more mitigation (meaning more effective healing) than what you're at right now. Even with as low as 30 poison resist boots; the upgrade is incredibly cheap, practically free at your gear level!

Anyway, I think my skepticism for Pacifism comes from my almost always having two escape skills (Serenity, Dashing Strike) in my skill set, so I tend to avoid all crowd control. I think it works much better t with a pure DPS build like you have, where you used Pacifism to cover the fact that I can't actually avoid as much crowd control. Next time I play my SC Monk, I'll give it Pacifism a whirl.
Reply Quote
@Demiwraith

I set myself some tests for the build...
1. Vota farming,
2. mp 10 Act 3 keep lvl 3 portal first elite
3. mp 10 Larder
4. mp 10 azmo
5. act 2 final boss (forgot the name)

I can do the first 3 no problem.
No. 4 tank kill azmo standing at one spot...i can't do it w/ my monk.
My WD with 6% LS skorn can do that w/ my eyes closed. With 3% lifesteal...I can close my eyes and hear him die.

No 5.....if you can stand at one spot tank kill that boss, you are god....
(I think I got no. 5 done with my barb carrying a stormshield and with warcry.....need to check..)

My main monk facetank and do all these. DW with Dual LS really shines in this case. Shield set up is sometimes tricky since it can only have single LS.
Reply Quote
View profile
Shield set up is sometimes tricky since it can only have single LS.

That's why we offset this with LOH.
Reply Quote
I am still trying to find a decent LoH amm or ring to off set mine,
Reply Quote
View profile
I am still trying to find a decent LoH amm or ring to off set mine,

Good luck, looks like it would be expensive. Keeping the amount of dps your current ammy gives with LOH.....owch in the gold bank. :)
Edited by Wannabee808#1418 on 6/15/2013 4:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I just randomly joined other ppl's games and by accident I got into a mp 10 uber game earlier today (only 2 players in game, i was the 3rd one, no CM Wiz). My monk was not my go-to toon for uber...but decided to try it anyway.

First game:. skeleton king... 2 other players died... i was able to solo killed SK. I can survive a couple of SK hits no death. When SK did his multiple WW swings, I had to step back...not a big problem there.
Second game: . Larder... it's an ez one
Third game: SB reflect uber... omg ...this one sux. With 3% lifesteal and 800 LoH, i couldn't do it...
That was bad. The other 2 players decided to go for the wiz and I am the "tanky" one to handle the SB....
I ended up use my plan B - my secret weapon that I have in bag all the time as my last resort:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/sledge-fist
We got it done....
that was fun... I showed the other players my ultimate weapon.....we have a good laugh...
:)
Reply Quote
View profile
Gratz on using strategy to beat ubers! :)
Reply Quote
I think the problem is...
I can't tank kill SB uber with 3% (over 1mil ehp together with over 800 LoH)
I have the same problem with 1h WD with 3% LS. (I use a LS skorn to do ubers)

by the way, sledge-fist was really the reason I started a shield monk
Reply Quote
If you are unable to sustain while fighting SB, add either more vitality, LOH or use mystic ally to help tank. You can also use blinding flash to stop him attacking for a few seconds. After awhile, you'll figure out when he is about to pick you up and that's a good time to blind him. Conversely, you can kill him many other ways if the shield is not working out as you hoped.
Reply Quote
Man it's hard to die in s/b.

I had some fun playing around with builds last night in s/b. Didn't really find much fantastic but had some fun stacking dodge with sixth sense, backlash is not as good as overawe though I don't think, unless you need the LS.

EDIT: I haven't tried mp10 ubers yet, maybe that would kill me. I think I'll stick to high dps for ubers though.
Edited by Cayzer#6828 on 6/17/2013 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah S/B is a pain, luckily i run with my wife's barb which makes it easier. Would the freeze sword "Azurewrath" work on him?
Reply Quote
Freeze will affect him from Azurewrath, although your DPS may drop too much that the enrage timer will activate.
Reply Quote
http://i.imgur.com/aA0u09M.png

http://i.imgur.com/3vGvH5w.png

still have these if any are interested
Reply Quote
Hi all,

I'm a S&B Monk, been playing on/off since game launch, not very active in the forums, just wondering if this hybrid monk of mine works~? I can solo MP7 pretty comfortably and was wondering how my monk fairs..I have trouble dealing with MP9 and above due to the fact i am not too good in playing plus my low damage (100K++ unbuffed about 120K buffed). Think of me as a casual player who prefers to face-tank mobs for a few seconds and move around a bit and tank again. I have LS weapons and can get up to about 200K+ unbuffed if i wanted to. However my profile gears are the ones i stick with about 80% of the time. What do you guys think of my hybrid? Please provide any comments?

Have about 66K HP, 7K Armor (70% reduction to damage), about 800+ Buffed resistance (72% reduction to damage). Was thinking of switching to a SOJ for my left rare ring but is very hesitant to do so. Please advice. :)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Wurotzman-1660/hero/1763941

Thanks.
Edited by Wurotzman#1660 on 6/19/2013 3:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Replace the WKL with something with LS on it, surprised you can do MP7 easily. Unfortunately we need a good weapon so lots of gold is going to be required. Good luck, come back with a nice LS weapon equipped.
Reply Quote
Thanks Oldman 54 for the advise. But dropping 25% of Damage on lightning...will it affect my FOT damage as well as my overall SW Cyclone damage? i was thinking of increasing it with a SOJ actually...any thoughts?
Reply Quote
Will have to leave any reply to a more knowledgeable monk Wurotzman. TBH i am not sure why WKL is not a good weapon for us, just have seen it posted that many times i just accept it.
Reply Quote
Figured I'd come here for help on my new hc barb cause hes snb. I also plan to gear my monk up after my barb is able to farm mp1 freely.

Any tips on gearing to maximize dps on a hardcore character? I don't want to cut any ehp if at all possible but I'm wondering if there is any stats that are just not effective to cut for ehp that I might have cut.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]