Diablo® III

Friend broke my laptop

So I need some advice from my fellow D3'ers.

About a month and a half ago, I was at a buddies house. We were both drinking and having a good time. I go into the kitchen to grab a drink while my friend leaves the kitchen at the same time after taking a shot. As soon as I walk into the kitchen I hear a unsettling bang. I walk in with my friend standing next to my laptop. It seems he had knocked it over while returning to his chair. He had placed it back on the table and really did not say a thing. He then continues to do what he was doing without saying anything whatsoever. What bothers me is my friend broke my only good computer. A 600$ Asus laptop. The laptop was plugged in at the time so the DC port was cracked and pretty much ruined. The next few days I noticed my monitor would not turn on every time and eventually it stopped altogether.

What bothers me the most is that my friend broke my laptop without saying as much as a word (or even a I am sorry). I have helped him out multiple times (even gave him a 23 inch LCD when his CRT when out a few weeks prior). We hang out pretty much everyday and I am kind of shocked this still happened.

Is it wrong for me to ask him to help me pay for it.

Now, dude does not even have a job right now. He is 30 and his dad pays for eeeeverything including his home, food and "living expenses". But for as much booze as he drinks I am thinking he could throw me some cash here and there.

I even called ASUS four days ago. My warranty is up and it is going to cost me in upwards of 500$ to fix this.

Any advice?
Reply Quote
He knows he did it. He walked into it or dragged the cord. I am not even sure if it was intentional or not but I am wondering if I should ask him to help pay for the damage.
Reply Quote
This is Not an Off-Topic Forum
The Games, Entertainment & Technology forums are specifically and purposefully labeled with very specific topics. Discussion outside of these specific topics, like all other forums, is not allowed and will be moderated with zero tolerance.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
05/29/2013 06:58 PMPosted by PhoenixRisen
He knows he did it. He walked into it or dragged the cord. I am not even sure if it was intentional or not but I am wondering if I should ask him to help pay for the damage.

You should at least talk with him about your laptop. Let him know how upset you are and see what he has to say. And at that point you can decide whether it would be worth it or not to ask him to help you out with the repair/replacement costs.

Good luck.
Reply Quote
Last I checked you were not a moderator.
EDIT: and this is directly related to hardware. i.e. my laptop.

But I will try to talk to him. thanks
Edited by PhoenixRisen#1736 on 5/30/2013 12:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Break $600 worth of his stuff :) see what he says.
Reply Quote
Totally confront him about it. It sounded like an accident, but he just did want to deal with having to replace it, so hid the damage like a child who got caught breaking something in the house.

As far as his personal expense issue goes, that is not your concern. He broke it, and that should not make you responsible for fixing it. If you guys are good friends, maybe you could work something out like a payment plan.
Reply Quote
So what now when the person who broke it doesn't even want to pay for it or acknowledge they broke it?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
06/09/2013 06:22 PMPosted by PhoenixRisen
So what now when the person who broke it doesn't even want to pay for it or acknowledge they broke it?

Unfortunately, you're SOL. The only thing you can do is decide whether to continue the friendship.

This is why you should confront immediately, when the deed is first discovered. It gives the culprit much less wiggle room.
Reply Quote
dont leave your laptop in areas where people are going to be walking through.

Thats common sense.

Its not his fault you left an exposed cord that someone could trip on, and it resulted in your "$600" laptop being broken.

Also just an FYI if the warranty is up(3 years normally) that laptop is no longer worth $600, and even still a $600 laptop 3 years ago was still a pretty cheap piece of hardware anyways.
Reply Quote
View profile
so a 30 year old mooch broke a valuable property of yours...

you either tell him to get daddy's check book
or you sue em.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
so a 30 year old mooch broke a valuable property of yours...

you either tell him to get daddy's check book

or you sue em.

If he had confronted his friend immediately, then he might've been able to make a case. But his friend can now claim that the damage happened elsewhere, and the OP can't prove otherwise.

I mean, it still would've been his word against his friend's, but at least he would've been able to tell the judge that he brought it to his friend's attention the moment the damage happened, instead of waiting days/weeks after the fact.
Reply Quote
I mentioned to my friend at the beginning. He knew he knocked it over but never said anything..(i assumed he was afraid i would get mad). At this point i cannot expect anything to happen unless i do sue. In some ways i am wondering if this guy is really my friend after all even though we've been good friends for about 6-7 years.

EDIT: This computer was purchased in December of 2011. So not 3 years old was a top of the line Asus (even though Asus makes questionable computers).

I do appreciate the positive feedback.
Edited by PhoenixRisen#1736 on 6/10/2013 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Well, you can try taking him to small claims court and see what happens. However, the above poster, while harsh, was right in that your $600 laptop will have depreciated some over the last two years. So, even if you do win (and you're able to collect), you won't get full replacement value for it.

But then, every little bit helps. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Reply Quote
Maybe tell him you are thinking of taking the issue to court because you saw him break it. His reaction to telling him the situation is serious enough for you to go to court would pretty much tell you the future of the friendship.

Like others have said, not sure taking it to court would be really worth the hassle.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]