Diablo® III

Tyrael's Generic Sword

So, it occurs to me as I'm happily watching Deckard Cain get killed for the umpteenth time...shouldn't Deckard have been able to recognize El'druin, even broken into pieces? Tyrael isn't exactly a figure shrouded in mystery - he put the Horadrim together centuries ago, and he worked closely with Cain and the Hero through Acts 3, 4, and 5 in Diablo 2. It's reasonable to assume that someone (either an old Horadrim or Deckard himself) made a drawing of the sword in the book. The Book of Cain indicates that Deckard knows quite a lot about the sword.

Unless El'druin is a generic sword...it seems like Deckard not knowing what the sword was is a(nother) giant plot hole in Act 1. Unless he knew, and kept it secret, because...I don't know. Something expansion-y.
Reply Quote
he probably recognized it, maybe even before seeing the 3 pieces, but kept to himself until he was sure. unfortunately, he was only sure when maghda appeared to kill him, and couldn't tell who he was, could just say "the angel".
Reply Quote
Did he not reforge the sword as his dieing moment?
How could he have explained to everyone that he had figured out what the sword was.

I beleive that the sword might NOT have been in mint 3 peices... y'know falling from another Realm alltogether...

So far, i have not seen any

06/02/2013 11:49 AMPosted by Antibane
a(nother) giant plot hole in Act 1.

as you mentioned it....

I'd be happy to discuss any you find!
Reply Quote
06/03/2013 05:37 AMPosted by Rain
I beleive that the sword might NOT have been in mint 3 peices... y'know falling from another Realm alltogether...

That may be true, but it was certainly cleaned in some way, then, before Deckard reformed the sword. The pieces look mint enough in the cinematic where he dies. Swords covered in runes or inscriptions is a pretty common trope for this genre - I think it's reasonable to assume that El'druin is no exception, and thus, Deckard should have recognized it.

I actually prefer to think that it's purposeful on the part of the writers, and we'll get to know more about why he didn't share Tyrael's identity sooner in the expansion. That would be an interesting turn.

As far as other plot holes, it's mostly just borderline illogical conclusions:

"The goatmen are rampaging through the fields!" "Must be sword!" Except it doesn't have to be, and we hear no fewer than two other reasons that the goatmen have started killing people more frequently (maybe three). There are two cultists who are trying to command them to unspeakable acts, and one of the books on the Khazra (might be Abd al-Hazir's bit) says they've become naturally more aggressive recently.

"A glow streaking toward a fishing village" "Must be Wortham!" Several problems here - first, the Stranger was barely conscious when we found him in his crater. It's a convenient remembrance that is there seemingly because the writers couldn't think of any other reason for us to go (the town was on fire, such that the boatman could see it, and we're the hero of legend - surely saving people from a fire would be enough reason to go). And, New Tristram is situated along a river - it seems unlikely that Wortham is the only fishing village around.

I guess they're not plot holes - a lot of Act I is just based on logical leaps that are, at best, questionable. The El'druin issue is an unexplained mystery, though, to me. I should hope it's resolved in the expansion, where we'll have to rescue Deckard Cain. Again.
Reply Quote
06/03/2013 07:46 AMPosted by Antibane
Swords covered in runes or inscriptions is a pretty common trope for this genre - I think it's reasonable to assume that El'druin is no exception, and thus, Deckard should have recognized it.
It's very likely that it looked like fine craftsmanship, but that of a mortal before it was reunited as a whole and that its supernatural powers were not nearly as prominent while split.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]