Diablo® III

A reason to fight act bosses

Bosses could have an extra drop burst for each side quest completed before.

Two birds with one stone.
Edited by Klapalcius#1978 on 5/31/2013 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posted by Grimiku
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future.

How long have you been in agreement with those of us who are yelping? Don't say the last 12 months. or the last 12 years.

Dont say that "oh the closed beta testers agreed and encouraged us to make elite packs more appealing to hunt than all of the end bosses."

because the reality of the situation is that ALL of the end bosses drop absolutely NOTHING worthwhile. And I can guarantee they did not encourage the way things are right now.

and by "right now" I mean "from release date until you finish this sentance...."

The first time I killed Diablo in inferno in 1.04 i was ecstatic.
What was my loot? A dust satchel.

I'm not kidding. It was ridiculous.

Thanks for all that precious RNG....
Edited by Shurgosa#1196 on 5/31/2013 7:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Let the bosses drop guaranteed multiple Demonic Essences if you kill them with 5 stacks!
Reply Quote
05/31/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Grimiku
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future. Travis Day mentions (in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]post[/url]) that in a perfect world players will ask themselves “What do I feel like doing tonight?” when they sit down to play Diablo III, and boss runs are one of those options we’d like them to consider. He also mentions this idea in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal[/url], under the "Farm Monsters, Not the Auction House" section.

I put this in another thread but since you have responded, I want to say that not everyone wants a reason to fight act bosses.

I don't think boss fights are fun enough to warrant adding carats to do them. I don't like scripted encounters in a Diablo game. I don't like cinematic disruptions to the flow of fights, or having to hit escape (canceling the cinematic) that interrupts the flow of fights, or phase changes to interrupt the flow of fights. Its ok for WoW raids, but tough elite/champ packs where you have to react differently on any given fight is far more enjoyable.

I mean some fights that have minimal disruption like SK or Butcher are ok, but could be a lot better if there were more abilities and ways the boss could attack each time you face them. Basically same boss, same enviornement, but different types of encounters, where you are always on your toes and don't know what's coming.

Maybe in the expansion the devs can break away from current style boss fights and make them a lot more dynamic and random, and better flowing. I don't really want more incentive to do them as they are because I don't find them engaging for farming.
Reply Quote
Just don't promote speed act boss runs and give an advantage to maphackers please.
Reply Quote
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future.

"...bosses needs more incentive..."

"...we need to address soon."

Could and hope suggests reluctance or indecision, something that seems rife with the dev team right now.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 5/31/2013 8:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/31/2013 08:54 PMPosted by Spank
How many whiteboards are full w/ items the D3 team "hopes to address" at this point?

Five stacks!

On that note, why does killing a boss not update your NV stack? Only the random elites do, not even the static ones. At a bare minimum, bosses should do that.
Reply Quote
05/31/2013 09:15 PMPosted by OldSkull
How many whiteboards are full w/ items the D3 team "hopes to address" at this point?

Five stacks!

On that note, why does killing a boss not update your NV stack? Only the random elites do, not even the static ones. At a bare minimum, bosses should do that.

I agree. They at least do that but I hope they do something more than that so there will be more of an incentive to fight them such as special items only they can drop.

Off topic a little bit though I wish the waypoints can be similar to D2 so I can go to any act at any time (depending on what quest I have the game start at) and also have bosses still spawn.
Reply Quote
I have noticed that they're dropping better rares as of late. Not sure if it's just that darn RNG. Still don't get many legs from them though.

But for a while, wow the drops were awful. Again, not sure if it's "RNG" but most of the time I wouldn't pick up any of the rares. Bit better lately but I agree that they should buff the crap out of them and then buff the drops, just like they should with Unique/Rare Monsters ;)
Edited by Omniscient#1704 on 5/31/2013 11:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree! With patch 1.0.8 I thought I'd see how the density in Act IV changed... That's when I realized I'd never bothered to kill Azmodan with my plvl 40 (at the time) Monk! I was at p40 and had never completed Act III!

In short, bosses should always have an incentive.

Slightly related: I think if you pick a later chapter in an Act, earlier bosses should still be available (assuming they're made useful).
Reply Quote
And yes, why would a boss not give an NV stack? That makes NO sense at all!
Reply Quote
05/31/2013 01:45 PMPosted by CMX
Ending at Diablo, in which you'd have a guaranteed Leg drop, or something along those lines for completing DIII Act 1 - 4 in one sitting

I like this, but there's one rather large issue... server stability and/or your own connection isn't guaranteed to be stable the entire time. Imagine fighting Diablo... and then boom, D3 goes down for emergency maintenance. Your "one sitting" just ended...
Reply Quote
it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future

I hope you guys have been spacing out the past years due dates worth of your 'future' issues to address. Because it sure is a LOT of stuff now that has been piling up in 'the future'.

Blizz reminds me of when I was in school, and had several weeks to do a project. I'd wait until the last possible day and then cram out the quickest, cheapest, dirtiest, bare minimum requirements needed to pass.
Reply Quote
Killing bosses, even ignoring rewards, isn't worth it.
You have to 1 shot it.
At best, 1 shot it in 29 mins or your NV buffs are gone.
You can't easily reset your NV buffs cause you've already farmed the elites (and you don't want to leave some because you can't farm them after the boss).
Act 1 & irc 3 bosses are miles away from waypoints/quest points.
Bosses can be a bit hax at times. Like belial continuously casting his chain explosions that 1 shot you, or the perfect butchers hook back into fire when your evades are down and you're low on health, etc.
Reply Quote
I don't know, last time I killed Butcher, I got eight yellows. Of course they all sucked, and it was a rare occurrence, but...um....what was I talking about again?
Reply Quote
how about something different instead of going to the main boss make a random supercharged enemy appear randomly when fighting a elite pack and make it they drop nicer gear but hit as hard as ubers.
Reply Quote
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future. Travis Day mentions (in this post) that in a perfect world players will ask themselves “What do I feel like doing tonight?” when they sit down to play Diablo III, and boss runs are one of those options we’d like them to consider. He also mentions this idea in this Developer Journal, under the "Farm Monsters, Not the Auction House" section.

What you're saying is great... boss fights should be less of a gear test and more of an entertaining test of brains or reaction time, but not to a super frustrating point like the poison pools/meteors that belial drops.. when he's mad.. he seems to fill the whole screen with those and those kill me in 1 or 2 hits no matter which gears I use..

Boss fights should also be more varied and engaging and in general interesting..

Finally, boss fights should be about 10 to 100 times more rewards and not just in a sense of scaling mf .. no.. they should be rewarding in more unique ways.. there should be things that we can only get off of bosses...

I don't want us to go back to only doing boss runs... but I see nothing wrong with us wanting to end our runs with boss fights if that makes any sense?

~Philoi.

PS:

To make boss fights more desirable.. you might want to also consider having fought the boss win or lose should add an NV stack.. that way, if we're having a difficult time fighting the boss, we don't have to keep on refarming elites then going back to the boss and eventually running out of elites to farm for NV stacks.. If you think this idea is not good.. perhap just have NV stacks not be part of the calculations for getting good gears off of bosses.. I don't know.. I don't like the idea of NV stacks.. I think we should just always have that mf bonus.. considering how hard it is to find gears lately..

PPS: Why is it that bosses seem to drop legendary items less often than regular monsters or elites or even chests.. ? I just find this strange.. bosses should be the ones most likely to hold legendary items, plans or set items, keys etc.. and I mean main act bosses too (I mostly mean them actually).. in my opinion at least this would make more sense..
Edited by Philoi#1655 on 6/1/2013 1:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]