Diablo® III

A reason to fight act bosses

WOW... Another thing we might implement if we find it necessary to keep evaluating the balancing issues of providing this benefit to a class cause the decision is SO HARD and if we just had the incentive to spend the time to figure out how to coordinate we might consider making a decision....

Hey Gary got donuts today!
Reply Quote
I was sad when they nerfed Butcher runs. Those were fun starting at 'imprisoned angel'.
Reply Quote
little more incentive, hope to address sometime in the future..

By then the game is dead if not already, cause everybody would just play AH tycoon than farm pointless hours to get nothing but salvage materials.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future. Travis Day mentions (in this post) that in a perfect world players will ask themselves “What do I feel like doing tonight?” when they sit down to play Diablo III, and boss runs are one of those options we’d like them to consider. He also mentions this idea in this Developer Journal, under the "Farm Monsters, Not the Auction House" section.

A good way to start us on getting bosses would be to not make players have to go through the story just to see them. In order to do both Skeleton King and The Butcher in a single run I would currently have to sit through all of the storyline in between, including that leading up to skeleton King. I could tolerate NV5 being a requirement for decent chances at loot drops more if I didn't have to sit through scripted events and eleventy billion cutscenes and quest dialogue boxes popping up in my face every time a quest is completed.

Free-roaming mode would make the entire game more enjoyable for just about everybody, especially since watching the one story on Earth that actually earned the "Worse than Final Fantasy VIII Story" award is among the least favorite things to do in this game. :)
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
Free-roaming mode would make the entire game more enjoyable for just about everybody, especially since watching the one story on Earth that actually earned the "Worse than Final Fantasy VIII Story" award is among the least favorite things to do in this game. :)

To me, free-roaming mode includes to make sidequests sometimes.

The general story is bad, but I like to play the role of the hero who saved the village or the damsel in distress from time to time, after all, this still is a roleplaying game, right?

I find fun doing some sidequests while I'm running, but I don't stop by just because the proportion of time/reward is worthless. Likewise boss fights, that last much long time for a minimal reward.

My runs should be more fun if sidequests was more long-term rewarding and boss fights was like "the cherry on the cake".
Reply Quote
I think the travel time is one of the biggest issues. Also that and the fact that you can either farm an area like Vault of Assassins and get like 7 elites every time or try to walk to a boss and only find 2 on the way there. Making more elites on the way to boss would make it more of an option. I'm 100% for more elites in most areas on higher mp. Fighting even 1 elite used to be a challenge back in the day but now it seems like 2-3 elites at a time isn't every that hard. So possibly making it so there is a chance you could run into 4 elites at once would be fun.
Reply Quote

05/31/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Grimiku
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future. Travis Day mentions (in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]post[/url]) that in a perfect world players will ask themselves “What do I feel like doing tonight?” when they sit down to play Diablo III, and boss runs are one of those options we’d like them to consider. He also mentions this idea in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal[/url], under the "Farm Monsters, Not the Auction House" section.

Then you need to work a bit faster on getting it done. You take entirely to long to do just minor things. Go look at turn around time on some other games with LESS money being put to them and see how much QUALITY work they get done in short time!!!!
Reply Quote
I think that NV should just be bonus MF, GF, not and guaranteed drop. The bonus to the stats is nice and will be useful once there are items worth picking up again. That said, changing the chance to drop so that MF is even more valuable now would keep NV useful but not mandatory. Adding in the guaranteed drop, makes players feel obligated to run for hours at a time so they just don't pick up the game when they have less than a few hours.

Changing NV would affect boss runs by allowing short simple runs without NV but an increased MF value would encourage players to spend time stacking up NV. Also, bosses should have their own increased drop rate like in D2. I say this because this is a loot game and I cant think of any other reason to seek out boss fights. Maybe elites can drop any item in the game with a lower drop rate but bosses drop specific sections of the available high end items but with higher % to drop. This would encourage farming different act bosses.

I also like the idea of "Free roaming" because I hate the cut scenes that interrupt the game. They were mildly interesting on the first play through but after that they became an annoyance. Even still I want to go where I want to and kill what I want without being forced to play through the story line COUNTLESS times. Doing so impedes my play style.

Since the change in the creative lead or whatever, you guys have worked on some of the most important issues the players have brought up and I appreciate that. I understand that the community managers can only say certain things because blizz has always kept their activities quiet. Even still, your player base is restless because the major problems with the game have only started to be addressed and many on these fixes have been pathetic (PVP in particular because the offered PVP is actually so bad its insulting). Many of us that are left play D3 because we love the series and are just hoping you can do something to keep our interest. Time is important, make the game as fun as possible.

Truth is my biggest challenge with this game is finding a reason to play it. A game is not a job.
Reply Quote
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future. Travis Day mentions (in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]post[/url]) that in a perfect world players will ask themselves “What do I feel like doing tonight?” when they sit down to play Diablo III, and boss runs are one of those options we’d like them to consider. He also mentions this idea in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal[/url], under the "Farm Monsters, Not the Auction House" section.

@Grimiku That would be nice. :)

If I only farm bosses, then no "extra" stuff should drop. But, if I farm the entire Act from beginning to end it would be nice to have some "extra" drops on the Boss. I did the work, now for the reward. I like doing the Boss's so frequently do them anyway, but it would be nice to get just a little more if I have indeed completed the entire Act from beginning to end.

Not sure how much of a programming nightmare for tracking that would be though. lol

I love this idea! I was going to say that now that I am in Inferno it is kind of sad that theres so many areas that I miss out seeing because theres no incentive to do them. I would love to have a reason to sit down for a long period of time for an awesome end goal, when I have the time. If I don't have the time I would just do a quick 5 NV stack til I had to leave.

This solution should be a win/win for everyone unless you just like complaining.

Another idea I was thinking about was making you have to beat the game through Diablo before another MP level would open up. I really miss that aspect of the game that was available while leveling up. Variety couldn't hurt.
Edited by Blackdog#1506 on 6/1/2013 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It is not there is not enough drops, it is the drops are all garbage. G A R B A G E.

It is a lot easier just to get the item from AH. They need to redo the randomization on the drops.
Reply Quote
Act bosses should act and drop much more like the uber bosses, particularly as mp goes up. Having a drop that is the same as an uber without a chance to drop any of the infernal machine stuff seems closer to where act boss drops should be. They should definitely have increased speed, skill recharge speed, etc.
Reply Quote

So because Travis Day mentions it, its now on Blizzards radar? But what about all of us fans that screamed about this, and many other things, since release. You (Blizzard) act as if everything we said was irrelevant, but we the fans, told you how to fix this game on day 1.

What happened to you guys (Blizzard).
Reply Quote
06/01/2013 04:49 AMPosted by TheTias
Free-roaming mode would make the entire game more enjoyable for just about everybody,

QFT.
Reply Quote
05/30/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Joshicus87
Thoughts on how these in game events could be improved upon?

I made a thread some time ago about how whimsyshire thing could be improved ( didn't catch on I guess! ) but it could be used for bosses too.
My suggestion was that the more you kill elite/mobs in the act, when you open whimsyshire it'd be filled with more and more elites.
So if you clear the entire acts, that zone would have like 50 elite packs and 0 trash mobs or something like that.

Something similar could work out for bosses, but it'd be quality rather than quantity.

The bosses would 'store' the number of mobs and elites you killed in a run, and give you increased rewards.

So, mindless boss runs wouldn't give you much ( the way it should be in my opinion ), but if you get 5 stacks, they give you a little bonus ( not only because of the 5 stacks, but also because you killed 5 elites ), and if you clear the entire act ( what can it be, 100 elites and 5000 trah mobs? ) you would have drops similar to D2 bosses, i.e. almost guaranteed to get a legendary or set, and sometime you'd get 2 or even more.
Reply Quote
06/01/2013 03:58 AMPosted by Llama
I was sad when they nerfed Butcher runs. Those were fun starting at 'imprisoned angel'.

When exactly was the Butcher nerfed? I'm genuinely curious, I don't remember this..
Reply Quote
The sad fact is that Blizz cannot buff drop rates for any single element in the game. Or it gets "exploited". See scorp XP nerf.

Regular players get "punished" with mediocre content because anything else would be "rewarding" botters.
Reply Quote
06/01/2013 04:49 AMPosted by TheTias
especially since watching the one story on Earth that actually earned the "Worse than Final Fantasy VIII Story"

Fact: FFVIII > FFVII

But yeah, game could really stand to have free roaming mode and a reason to kill bosses, there's no reason why bosses shouldn't have been worthwhile to kill from Day 1. Well, other than Blizzard making a whole lot of bad decisions.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Warrior
we hope to address sometime in the future.

Oh the future..... I remember(back when I used to play) when we didn't kill bosses because there was no incentive to do so. And you guys were considering doing something to change that.

OH THE FUTURE! It's always fun to come here from time to time hahahhahahahahahahahaha. Oh Blizzard!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Funny thing is, Jay Wilson's Diablo had a notion that Boss Runs were unfun, now these are actually being considered like they should have been since the beginning. Ironic, but I like the change of mentality and the subtle, yet not literally admitted, "we were wrong" from Blizzard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]