Diablo® III

A reason to fight act bosses

View profile
05/30/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Joshicus87
Would be awesome, I can't remember the last time I took the time to fight one. I understand the reasoning for focusing players away from just doing boss runs all the time, but there should still be at least some incentive to do so. They're supposed to be the hardest events in the game, they should yield better reward. I kind of feel the same about side quests too, they are fun to do but not very rewarding IMO. Thoughts on how these in game events could be improved upon?

Yeah they went too far when trying to discourage players from skipping all the content and running straight to the boss, rinsing and repeating. They should have made the loot from bosses way better provided you have 5 (more more) neph valour (maybe elite kill stacks just for boss loot, kill 20 elites to get 2 more rares or something like that), and their loot different from other bosses, right from the start. That would be enough incentive to play thorugh the content AND kill the boss. Currently, I don't ever fight bosses unless a friend wants to, so I would definitely want to see this changed.

I'm glad they are working on it now. Can't wait for the next two patches.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Because we can. Many do it for the fun, not the $.
Reply Quote
05/31/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Grimiku
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future. Travis Day mentions (in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]post[/url]) that in a perfect world players will ask themselves “What do I feel like doing tonight?” when they sit down to play Diablo III, and boss runs are one of those options we’d like them to consider. He also mentions this idea in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal[/url], under the "Farm Monsters, Not the Auction House" section.

turn on Heroic Boss mode before entering ^_^
Reply Quote
why stop at bosses, make uniques worth fighting too.
Reply Quote
We agree with you that killing bosses could use a little more incentive, and it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future. Travis Day mentions (in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]post[/url]) that in a perfect world players will ask themselves “What do I feel like doing tonight?” when they sit down to play Diablo III, and boss runs are one of those options we’d like them to consider. He also mentions this idea in this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal[/url], under the "Farm Monsters, Not the Auction House" section.

Thank you, love the feedback!
Reply Quote

@Grimiku That would be nice. :)

If I only farm bosses, then no "extra" stuff should drop. But, if I farm the entire Act from beginning to end it would be nice to have some "extra" drops on the Boss. I did the work, now for the reward. I like doing the Boss's so frequently do them anyway, but it would be nice to get just a little more if I have indeed completed the entire Act from beginning to end.

Not sure how much of a programming nightmare for tracking that would be though. lol

This solution should be a win/win for everyone unless you just like complaining.

... or have a life? Screw sitting in front of a game for 2 hours straight just to receive some incentive for boss killing... you must not have a lot to do with your time. lol
Edited by hasuville#1503 on 6/2/2013 7:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
We'll probably see something useless like a 128,000 exp bonus for killing bosses......
Reply Quote
"Chance to drop better quality item".

Which will still be counteracted by poor itemization.

"Bonus Exp".

That might work.

"[insert infernal machine-like mechanic] drops."

Not again. We might as well have WoW tokens then.
Reply Quote
View profile

Not a little more WAY MORE. Its NOT OUR FAULT you can't control bots. Figure your !@#$ out. The whole point of this game is to fight the lords of hell not skeletons sunflowers and unicorns. You nerf chests into oblivion and you make urns drop NOTHING because of YOUR INABILITY TO CONTROL YOUR GAME.

When will you WAKE UP and LEARN nerfing IS NOT an answer!
Reply Quote
View profile
05/31/2013 03:50 PMPosted by Vendetta
Would be awesome, I can't remember the last time I took the time to fight one. I understand the reasoning for focusing players away from just doing boss runs all the time, but there should still be at least some incentive to do so. They're supposed to be the hardest events in the game, they should yield better reward. I kind of feel the same about side quests too, they are fun to do but not very rewarding IMO. Thoughts on how these in game events could be improved upon?

In addition, Belial should have at least 3 legendary drops permanently when killed solo in MP 10. Do you know how hard it is to kill him in MP 10 all by yourself?

You can face tank him with all class with right builds, mit & sustain. I've done it with wiz and wd classes with no 30% dam resistance like melee. Trick is about 92+% mit 700K ehp to tank his tantrums and 3+LS to heal.
Reply Quote
We should also be allowed to jump between acts! Why should we be forced to exit our game just to go to a new act its stupid. People might actually farm in games longer if they could jump from act to act easily.
Reply Quote
Other than just "reason" to fight bosses, I would like to see them actually being dangerous, because for now, bosses in this game are providing challenge only on higher Monster Power setup, when they trigger they enrages due to prelonging fight. A BOSS shouldn't ever, in any circumstances, be more challenging than an elite pack. In shoty, I would like to see bosses more challenging, but also a lot more rewarding.

I believe I've once stated on this forum some suggestions about how, for example, Diablo could be enhanced. From what I can recall from my post:
- He ought to have his agression level raised (start at level of 3rd phase of the fight, then when 3rd phase comes, increase it further). By agression I mean, using different kinds of attack, changing them depending on situation, attack more frequently etc.
- Give him Cold Touch skill, similar to one in Diablo 2. This should work well when combined with Bone Prison/Fireball/Red Lightning Hose.
- His Red Lightning Hose should be more damaging, and the pace Dablo's "spin" while doing his attack should be increased, so that dodging the attack would be harder.
- Give him an enrage timer. How about meteors falling on entire Crystal Arch? Uber Diablo's Armageddon, anyone?
-EDIT: I forgot. allow him to kil you with his Bone Prison, because for now he will always let you go with 1 HP, which is enough to drink a health potion.

That might be wishful thinking, but I would like Diablo and other bosses to be buffed in similar way. I think there is no harm in contributing this, thought.

Sorry for my English, folks. I'm not a native speaker.
Edited by ZelgadisGW#2387 on 6/2/2013 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
"Farm Monsters, Not the Auction House"

I just realized how to "Farm the Auction House" and my gold is multiplying exponentially.
Reply Quote
05/31/2013 03:19 PMPosted by Zuzax
it’s something we hope to address sometime in the future.
The future is a wonderful place.

I too would like to hear more about this mythical 'future'.

I've heard tell it's spoken of 'around the office' and they're 'looking into it.'
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
I have never felt the need to post something on the Diablo 3 forums for a lot of reasons, the main being it's easier to do nothing when you're mostly okay with how the game is. That being said, dear god, no. No, no, no, no, no, no. The reason I never understood people's obsession with D2 was boss runs. The only effecient way to farm was boss runs, boss runs, boss runs. If you looked at the list of game names at any given time it would look something like Baal run 1-20. Think the Alkhaiser runs were boring? Doing the exact same boss mechanics over and over every 3 minutes; we're talking barrels of monkey fun (we're not.) Also some bosses are just not fun to get to as the game currently stands. Who would want to do ANY part of the last stages of Act 2 over and over again? I mean yeah, you can start on Diablo but that would force you to lean towards certain bosses over others. I saw the idea of people saying x boss should always drop y type of legendery, which I guess would eliminate that to some extent, however it pretty much force players into doing boss runs because suddenly it's the best way to get something.

Also, as for bosses supposedly being the hardest fights in the game? What? Their mechanics, for the most part, are a joke. I have a way higher chance of dying to a random elite/champion group with the right affixes than I do any boss.

Now, I could be wrong (I'm just one man and an entire design team/fan base can some up with more ideas than me) but I don't think it's going to be possible to balance making bosses worth fighting with making boss runs one option not the only option, and with the idea of people not feeling forced to sit down and play for hours at a time to get the best reward.

Honestly, the game doesn't even need increased drops. It needs the drops it already has to be increased quality. I have like 400 hours of gameplay and I've found around 10 drops worth keeping. Whenever I'm with my friends and one of us finds a legendary we make bets about how BAD an item is going to be because we all know there's no chance of it being worth anything.

Off topic slightly, but there is nothing wrong with the auction house as it was originally presented; a way to supplement your gear. I love the idea of the auction house, and honestly if I could find drops on my own it would be a fantastic addition to the game. There's no reason to hate on the auction house itself, the black market for items would just be bigger.
I remember a blue post that said "we want you to feel like a great drop is just around the corner", and if the game felt like that AT ALL the auction house would be a wonderful addition to the game.
Reply Quote
Making bosses more worth actually doing would be really great, but PLEASE, do not swing too far in that direction and make it the new activity of choice.

D2 multiplayer was pretty shallow and boring due to this. Almost every single game consisted of kill baal, make new game, repeat since you weren't rewarded much for doing anything else. Diablo III at least fixed that problem.
Reply Quote
At NV level 5, there should be a new statistic added: "Chance for a Legendary Item drop" from an act Boss. This is NOT magic find.

So at NV, and ONLY at NV 5, you have 10% chance of a legendary drop from an act boss. Again, this is in addition to magic find. And you could still find a legendary item from an act boss which was NOT due to this new "Legendary Find" stat. So you can get, for example, 2 legendary items where one specifically resulted due to "Legendary Find" stat

The above is for MP0 only...

...However, as we get to NV5 at higher MP levels, the chance increases, all the way up to 99% at MP9

MP10 is an exception, where the act boss is guaranteed to drop 3 Legendary items, one of them always being a set item. (up to a possibility of getting 3 set items)

I think it is fair. It rewards you for playing the game longer. It rewards you for playing it at higher difficulty. At the same time it doesn't make killing the act bosses the only rewarding thing to do, as the poster above me feared.
Edited by Picard#1431 on 6/2/2013 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I can't wait for this future we keep hearing about.
Reply Quote
05/31/2013 03:37 PMPosted by Evantis
Somethink went wrong. So wrong.

totally

We expect this system will encourage players to stick with a skill build of their choice, select an area of the game they enjoy, and sweep it for rare and champion packs on their way to a boss, finishing off a run with a boss that’ll be worth killing.

blizz ya gotta change something,,, there is LESS reward to killing bosses vs. whites frankly...
why do you think we get 5NV on high MP then focus on WHITES? KD2 anyone??
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]