Diablo® III

Azmodan's Invasion & Personality: Questions

1. Why Arreat?
2. HOW; Can demon Lords just "poof" where ever they want on Sanctuary?.
3. In the Black Soulstone Trailer Azmodan says "One by one OUR brethren fell into your trap. But not me. I defy you!"

This makes it sound as ih he were never speaking to Leah, but rather Diablo.

A) He knew she was his daughter
B) He at least suspected she was in league with him
C) He thought he could reach Diablo through her

Is this really what happened?

4. The Book of Cain describes Azmodan as defining the universe and people in it by "how far they are willing to go". Being the Lord of Sin and from descriptions of his realm, it seems he REALLY should have tested us beyond just physical opposition.

He should set up some kind of cunning obstacle or barrier, through which we could ONLY pass by doing something

A) Humiliating
B) Genuinely morally questionable (Ala SAW: cut open a guardsman's stomach, killing him to get a macguffin needed to save the world) and then taunt us that we dont have the "moral superiority" we thought we had because we were desperate enough to take the "shortest path". After all, he is The Lord of Sin.

This or a series of increasingly desperate events could lead up to his defeat, but with an essence of "If you kill me... you'll be just like me" trope. This would also leave the characters scarred, and shaken even at the end of the game (albeit it might not come up until those nights when they are alone in town, just like Aidan after killing Diablo.)

All they could say is

"I did what I 'had' to do."
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IDidWhatIHadToDo

And other NPCs,....they might NOT actually accept this. (WHICH could lead to MULTIPLE ENDINGS -mostly the same, but subtly different)

I think that would have really improved public perception of the character, and made it a bit more fitting of the details in his entry in The Book of Cain. By contrast, I think Belial's story worked quite well.

Would this be a sound idea for any future content that involves Azmodan?
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 5/29/2013 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Alright, This is a LOT of questions and i'll try my hardest to answer them all.

*rubs hands together* Here we go!

1. Why Arreat ?

This is very simple, the Worldstone was hidden deep within Arreat.
As you remember, in Diablo 2, Baal corrupted it, Tyreal shattered it with his sword.
It was such an explosion ... that the best way i could explain it is that it created a "tear".
The world of Sanctuary was now detectable, the access point from the world of Burning Hells was easiest to access through that "tear".

2. HOW; Can demon Lords just "poof" where ever they want on Sanctuary?.

They cant just "poof" in the world since it was undetectable, hidden by the Worldstone. Diablo Baal and Mephisto used corruption to influence people/mages to summon demons and whatnot.

But, with the Worldstone destroyed, the veil hidding Sanctuary has vanished, and with the "tear" explained in question 1, they can come in.

3. In the Black Soulstone Trailer Azmodan says "One by one OUR brethren fell into your trap. But not me. I defy you!"

This is a tough one, no one really knows for certain who Azmodan was speaking to in the vision she had.
He could be talking to Diablo or a version of him, and since Leah is infused with a LOT of Adria's power and Aidan's corruption from Diablo... She might have been able to see that vision.

4. The Book of Cain describes Azmodan as defining the universe and people in it by "how far they are willing to go". Being the Lord of Sin and from descriptions of his realm, it seems he REALLY should have tested us beyond just physical opposition.

This idea is very interesting. And in a way, he has done that, he threw the Maiden of Lust at us and the Lord of Gluttony.
Which attacked the "supplies"/"morale" of the troops of the war. He instilled fear in the troops by making them afraid to eat or go down in their own food stores! and at the same time, laid siege to the keep.

05/29/2013 05:00 PMPosted by Mijuu
This or a series of increasingly desperate events could lead up to his defeat, but with an essence of "If you kill me... you'll be just like me" trope.

I beleive the heroes would not have fallen for that trap. They know that disposing of Azmodan is crucial and would never feel guilt or remorse in taking out a Lord of Hell.

Belials story worked out very well actually. Though it SEEMED transparent to many people, this game isnt an immersive survivale/puzzle game... its a ARPG, story has to flow and fast. I'm glad someone other than me that actually thinks it was done right.
Reply Quote

This or a series of increasingly desperate events could lead up to his defeat, but with an essence of "If you kill me... you'll be just like me" trope.

I beleive the heroes would not have fallen for that trap. They know that disposing of Azmodan is crucial and would never feel guilt or remorse in taking out a Lord of Hell.

Belials story worked out very well actually. Though it SEEMED transparent to many people, this game isnt an immersive survivale/puzzle game... its a ARPG, story has to flow and fast. I'm glad someone other than me that actually thinks it was done right.

Wrong trope, what I meant to say was.....
"We're not so different, you and I"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotSoDifferent
Reply Quote
Wrong trope, what I meant to say was....."We're not so different, you and I"http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotSoDifferent

Oh! well yes! Leah is the "daughter" of Diablo... Aiden's corrupted soul, and Adria's corrupted soul aswell.
She had great power from Adria and was also nephalem born..

so perhaps thats what he meant, the connection between Azmodan and Leah was through power and "Evil"
Reply Quote
That black soulstone did fall and could possibly shatter meaning we fight the evils all over again or at least find some way of banishing them back to hell. Maybe that's where we get necromancers from in the expansion. They come to restore the balance of sanctuary by banishing the 7 evils back to hell and keeping Imperius in heaven.

Here are your 4 acts.

1. Imperius comes to kill all the Nephalem, and we beat him back or kill him.
2. We hunt down Adria because she's trying to release the evils from the black soulstone. We fail.
3. We use some tyrael necromancer forged thingy to banish the lesser evils back to hell.
4. We send the prime evils back to hell. The last one we fight is up for debate.

Acts 1 and 2 can be flipped. There would also be something about malthael coming back as death but told in the same way we knew about Marius. Malthael is also somehow trapped in sanctuary and is running amok. That's the start of xpac number 2.

I'd say that the classes we get are some form of Dark Templar from westmarch as a Templar necro hybrid. The second could be some kind of Druid necro hybrid but I don't know how that lore would work.

That is unless I've completely missed something.
Reply Quote
06/02/2013 06:42 PMPosted by TAXman

(And contrary to a few beleifs, we dont need necromancers again in here.)

-The two last sentences of the Prophecy.
(Dead, at last, shall spread its wings over all- as Fate lies shattered forever.)

-Malthaels' disappearence.

-Remaining Lord of Sins.

-Leah's Funeral (if she is dead...)

-(Rescue?) Inarius

-(Help from?) Lillith

and many other things can be covered... thats just to name a few ;)
Reply Quote
06/03/2013 05:29 AMPosted by Rain

(And contrary to a few beleifs, we dont need necromancers again in here.)

-The two last sentences of the Prophecy.
(Dead, at last, shall spread its wings over all- as Fate lies shattered forever.)

-Malthaels' disappearence.

-Remaining Lord of Sins.

-Leah's Funeral (if she is dead...)

-(Rescue?) Inarius

-(Help from?) Lillith

and many other things can be covered... thats just to name a few ;)

Oh come now, 3 days isn't a necro. Besides these forums are rarely posted in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]