Diablo® III

Sentry - Chain of Torment [INFO]

Ok.. since it's my favorite Skill.. Just wanna share some info about it.

What it does:
1. It deals damage every 1/3 of a second. or 1/2 of a second, I'm not so sure. So it is also INDEPENDENT of your ATTACK SPEED. Hence, even with 3 APS, it would still do a constant stream of damage per second.

2. It does indead proc LIFESTEAL. However, it does not SNAPSHOT Gloom.

3. It procs EVERYTHING you can proc EXCEPT Critical Hit
Other notable things it procs:

Marked For Death - Mortal Enemy
    WF's Knockback
    Cold SoJ

4. DOES NOT Reflect Damage(more tests on these but im 99% sure of this since its a SENTRY)

5. It deals damage on a SMALL RADIUS around it and somewhere along the lines of the Chains. and not just on the chains itself. a SMALL RADIUS around you and the Sentry itself too. Much like it radiates an aura, though small. You can see how it works.

6. Since it doesn't CRIT, it takes its damage factor primarily on:
    pure Damage - min/max
    DEX

So Rubies will help MORE than Emeralds.

7. Although it is independent of your APS, Calamity/Windforce "might" work better on lower end of weapons since it has Min/Max damage(BLACK DAMAGE) wherein the Skill takes it damage from.

However, if a Manitcore is gemmed with Ruby, it will deal higher damage. NEEDS MORE TESTS though.

8. The skill needs a whole lot of positioning to work with to its full potential though.

Synergy with skills/procs:
Marked for Death- Mortal Enemy
The skill works so well with this that it's amazing. Just mark an enemy, put down those Chains and then position accordingly. You'd get 3 Hatred every time it ticks for damage PER sentry you placed and hits the Marked enemy

WF's KB
The skill procs WF's KB potential too. If you want to test it out, just rune for it. Go place a few and let the enemy walk towards you.

Know those Savage Beasts in Act 1 that many hates? They can be KB'ed mid-charge with WF and CoT >_< Saved me a whole lot of times.

Calamity's Mark
Same thing, it procs it at a nice rate too. If in a 1on1 battle with an elite/champ, it will make it so that the target is Marked PERMANENTLY.

Items you have that has "Chance to"
Freeze, Bleeding, Slow, Immobilize, ANYTHING. Even LIFE on HIT is taken into consideration.

Cold-SoJ
Want to continually SLOW enemies but all your skills aren't able to proc it? Well.. CoT will proc SoJ's Cold if it hits an enemy. So you can use that CtW passive to your liking without any sacrifice in your other skills.

Shadow Power- Gloom or 25% LS.
Like I said, it retains the LIFE STEAL aspect but DOES NOT snapshot it. Still, a 5second bonus LS is useful >_< With 28k constant damage on 1 Sentry, that's 1k+ LS per tick. Put 3 down with Costum Engineering and if those 3 hits, 3k free LS :)

Archery - Bow
It benefits on this too since its a direct increase in damage dealt.

Steady Aim
Works with it too but it doesn't snapshot the bonus damage meaning if a mob goes near you and changes your DPS, the damage it deals also changes.

Works best with:
Any spec that delves on TANKING stuff
WF Users that wants an additional source of Knockback.
WF + Steady Aim works with it too.
Any spec that works/delves with ON HIT effects.

So far.. that'll be all. Hope this helps other people. Will update further later ^_^
Reply Quote
very nice info ^^. it's true that i tried Sentry-CoT with my Windy and it works great. One more thing to ask, like, normally, how do you position your sentries? put 3 of them in one place / triangle position / or depends on mobs?
Reply Quote
very nice write up chrizzle.

one qns regarding build. I've beening playing ard with windforce/dawn and CoT quite a bit in hc and it gives really good survivability and aoe.(one of my fav. being ToC + CoT with a Dawn .. i think u can figure out how it plays out). Recently i also started experimenting with strafe+jagged spike, its really fun and i even though of throwing in CoT.

the up side:
  • if im not wrong, casting sentries(CoT) will not interrupt strafe;
  • strafe can "bypass" mobs, meaning great manouvering and positioning of CoT;
  • CoT has one of the best proc rate, coupled with good aoe, it should synergy with strafe really well;
  • CoT will also help sustain via LS/LOH while strafing ..
  • CoT can also provide much needed dps burst(for strafe build) on elites packs

what do you think abt this idea??

P/S: i should clarify that i primarily farm on lower mp and i dont have million crits gear. lol . .
    Reply Quote
    05/29/2013 11:20 PMPosted by ZzSikkzZ
    very nice info ^^. it's true that i tried Sentry-CoT with my Windy and it works great. One more thing to ask, like, normally, how do you position your sentries? put 3 of them in one place / triangle position / or depends on mobs?

Thanks.

The positioning depends mostly on what's happening. Though most of the time I just place them and spam them then position accordingly.

During boss fights on with elites that I know will take time to kill. I place them in a single area.

If I wanna have some WF fun, I position them in a triangle fashion and just let them come to me and die trying :)

very nice write up chrizzle.

one qns regarding build. I've beening playing ard with windforce/dawn and CoT quite a bit in hc and it gives really good survivability and aoe.(one of my fav. being ToC + CoT with a Dawn .. i think u can figure out how it plays out). Recently i also started experimenting with strafe+jagged spike, its really fun and i even though of throwing in CoT.

the up side:
    if im not wrong, casting sentries(CoT) will not interrupt strafe;
    strafe can "bypass" mobs, meaning great manouvering and positioning of CoT;
    CoT has one of the best proc rate, coupled with good aoe, it should synergy with strafe really well;
    CoT will also help sustain via LS/LOH while strafing ..
    CoT can also provide much needed dps burst(for strafe build) on elites packs

what do you think abt this idea??

P/S: i should clarify that i primarily farm on lower mp and i dont have million crits gear. lol . .

Thanks. ;)

About your build, I've tried that in it works just how you wrote it. All those are true.. Except for the last one, the burst, since it doesn't really increase much since its based on FLAT DPS and not the inflated ones by Crit Chance and crit Damage.

If you are farming in low MP, what HP is that? if it's 1-3, CoT might not prove that much of use but who knows, maybe you'll have a different experience.

And yes, it doesn't cancel Strafe ^_^

Have fun. :P
    Reply Quote
    I used to use this skill with custom engy to tank ubers when they first came out. At the time, I did not know barely anyone that could tank mp10 ubers, (dps was 130k at the time lol). It was pretty fun :) And the eDPS with echoing blast was awesome
    Reply Quote
    I think this is the only reason also why I can do MP10 Ghom in 10minutes with 51k DPS >_< Its really slow.. but.. at least with crappy gear, I can do something every once in a while :))
    Reply Quote
    XD sure you have a looooong way to go, the benchmark dps nowadays keep raising and raising ....
    Reply Quote
    I can get to 130k and even more but that means me going glassy.

I can do GBC style but it needs a near perfect internet connection.. and from where I'm at.. that's something I wish for and rarely happens ;)

Hence why I tank :)
    Reply Quote
    I have been using Chain of Torment with Mortal Enemy for my Dazzling Arrow build since I started using it early this year. No hatred generator compares to those two skills used together: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7980249167. Issue always comes down to mobility with the chains so you are actually incented to play your DH where there are lots of incoming enemies or enemies take a lot longer to kill.

I was not aware that Marked for Death for gimmick with the Chain of Torment, but it certainly makes sense. Haven't found anything it does not proc, but critical hits.
    Reply Quote
    I have posted many builds regarding CoT, combo'ed it with many skills.. sadly.. few gets recognition ;) Most are fun builds anyways so.. Fine with me :P

Another reason why I made this write up :)
    Reply Quote
    I find it that everytime I use CoT, I need caltrops -> tort ground to make sure elites don't run away.
    Reply Quote
    Long time CoT + strafe user here. Strafe, since you pass through enemies, is almost vital to achieve perfect positioning. Otherwise, I'll use vault. When I specc'ed for crowd control-- gloom, CoT, ToC vault and all enemies in that line would be frozen/stunned/immobolized.

That was all pre MP when even with low DPS, you could stack damage skills to make-up the difference. I've fallen out of favor with the build since MP, since now all I apparently care about is DPS DPS DPS (and tanking with shadow power).

I had no idea that CoT did not snapshot shadow power. I always assumed it did. However, when I was using it, I always had some LoH which was probably skewing my perception.
    Reply Quote
    why bother, grab a manticore, hit SP:Gloom and Rapid Fire to glory. Why shovel when you are given a hydraulic powered excavator? Unless you like shoveling....
    Reply Quote

If you are farming in low MP, what HP is that? if it's 1-3, CoT might not prove that much of use but who knows, maybe you'll have a different experience.

And yes, it doesn't cancel Strafe ^_^

Have fun. :P

Thanks Chrizzle!
    i usuallly farm in mp3. hah . .any higher i might die real quick...and i just lost a monk yesterday. =X

i only had like 90k dps on my dh . .so i think the CoT might help with elites?? (Its extremenly good with a Dawn, so good im even considering dual wielding with it and stack that stun rate). anyways im back to playing safer builds for now as i dont want to lose another char so quickly one right after another. .. lol.
    Reply Quote
    CoT was really fun last time. I used it with skills like Strafe and ToC. Pop 1 chain and either strafe or ToC. CoT is great for hatred generation as well
    Reply Quote
    oh and my previous post reminded me some more qns thats been bothering me i guess you might be one of the best person to ask. . ^_^

you know those cc abiliies(stun/freeze/immobilize etc.) that works extremely well with CoT, i had tried stacking them. i always imagined dh to be a king of cc!!!

whats bothering me is, if i stack stun-on-hit on gloves, main hand and offhand, how do that add up? its either:

1. multiplicative;
      2. addictive;
      3. or independent .. which is somewhat like multiplicative. . .

and how about if we stack different cc "types", would it make any differencs?

see, my gut feeling & common logic is; its multiplicative if stacking same cc, and addictive for different cc types. so the best cc we would get with CoT is to stack as many different types as possible! so long your chain is on them, at least 1 willl proc real quick!! ^.^
    Reply Quote
    05/30/2013 02:02 PMPosted by Wayloly
    why bother, grab a manticore, hit SP:Gloom and Rapid Fire to glory. Why shovel when you are given a hydraulic powered excavator? Unless you like shoveling....

lol

Why not just pick the Sun(aka another class)?

----

I like Chain of Torment but I wish the chains were fatter, also wished it could tether to my companions.

I used 9.8% freeze chance, with CoT and Hardened, and I kept freezing elites nonstop(with an attack speed less than 2 - for hardened, so I could only imagine high aps). I could only imagine what it would be like if you had 3-5% ailments on each piece of gear you could get it on.
    Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 5/30/2013 9:00 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    05/30/2013 08:05 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
    I find it that everytime I use CoT, I need caltrops -> tort ground to make sure elites don't run away.

If you'd get used to it so much, you'd leave Tort Ground ;) I've been using the skill since even before 1.03.. and have been accustomed to it. Whether I play RANGED or Tank mode.. ^_^

05/30/2013 02:02 PMPosted by Wayloly

Because I love to be DIFFERENT rather than join in the bandwagon of RF'ers. Not that I hate them, I just want to diverse from the norm, hence, more fun for me.

What if they revert RF's buff? What'll you do? REMOVE it entirely since it became useless "again"? That's my point.

I've been using a "neglected" skill and saw it buffed, but still no one cares :P

Thanks Chrizzle!
    i usuallly farm in mp3. hah . .any higher i might die real quick...and i just lost a monk yesterday. =X

i only had like 90k dps on my dh . .so i think the CoT might help with elites?? (Its extremenly good with a Dawn, so good im even considering dual wielding with it and stack that stun rate). anyways im back to playing safer builds for now as i dont want to lose another char so quickly one right after another. .. lol.

You welcome :) I've been playing majorly in MP5-6 with 70-110k depending on how I equip myself and CoT just makes it "easier" for me.

The DAWN Combo is nice since it'll proc the Stun too. If you'll look into my Quiver, it has a Chance to Stun >_< I found it and have been using it for like.. 5months or something. LOL

05/30/2013 07:52 PMPosted by RaveaAngel
    CoT was really fun last time. I used it with skills like Strafe and ToC. Pop 1 chain and either strafe or ToC. CoT is great for hatred generation as well

Yeah, CoT = tank's best friend when combined with Mortal Enemy. Also.. Strafe to re-position yourself is a great tactic since Strafe removes collision.

see, my gut feeling & common logic is; its multiplicative if stacking same cc, and addictive for different cc types. so the best cc we would get with CoT is to stack as many different types as possible! so long your chain is on them, at least 1 willl proc real quick!! ^.^

Even though I know so much about CoT, thing about procs, i'm not that knowledgeable. If you will search for either the Immortal or TankDH thread we've made a few months back, we delved into multiple CC per item slot.

Freeze on Belt, Stun on Gloves. Those 2 would make CC'ing enemies like a breeze. As for additive or multiplicative.. I'm not really sure. Just stack them up anyways. Go for a balance of Freeze and Stun ;)

I like Chain of Torment but I wish the chains were fatter, also wished it could tether to my companions.

I used 9.8% freeze chance, with CoT and Hardened, and I kept freezing elites nonstop(with an attack speed less than 2 - for hardened, so I could only imagine high aps). I could only imagine what it would be like if you had 3-5% ailments on each piece of gear you could get it on.

YES! Definitely. If they are to make the chains fatter, i'd fall move madly in love with COT >_<

Again, if you'd search for the Tank/ImmortalDH thread we've made. We discussed a combination of Freeze and Stun with 10% total for each CC. It made tanking a breeze. Gas Grenades/Cluster made it nice too. And if you are to combine it with Shock/Cinder, with the high Proc Coeff of those skill, it will make the CC proc faster/better.

EDIT: If it were to tether with Companions.. That would be.. kinda OP >_< Imagine 3 CoTs tethering with you, your Follower and 2 Ferrets.

That's 4 Tether PER CoT. LOL. Yeah.. it WILL be OP. But hey! I'd love that >_<
    Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 5/30/2013 9:24 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    i didnt know belt could roll freeze!! niceynice!! love ranged dh fun, cc to keep the gap. NOT GIVE CALTROP BACK ITS PROC!! lol ..
    Reply Quote
    05/30/2013 09:58 PMPosted by CLOUD
    i didnt know belt could roll freeze!! niceynice!! love ranged dh fun, cc to keep the gap. NOT GIVE CALTROP BACK ITS PROC!! lol ..

If they'd give Jagged Spikes it's Proc Coeff.. I'd definetely be loling on the floor on how OP we can be again XD
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]