Diablo® III

Someone has to say it to the Blues !

(Locked)

06/04/2013 02:47 PMPosted by TeRRaRiZeR
It allows the company to continue to make very aggressive business moves that a lot of customers won't like. While having a professional PR person deflect blame/heat on the company with positive spin.

You make it sound like the CMs are defending the exploitation of garment workers in India.

This is just a video game company after all. Hard to imagine how much spin the CMs need to employ here. Okay, so maybe they do have a ton of awesome stuff to share, but they're just holding off for various "business" reason. The horror!

You don't just snap your fingers and make things happen, it's a little more complicated than that.

I'm pretty sure a lot of players do feel that way. I mean, look how easily they whip up a 2 page long guideline on how to save the entire game? I mean, that only took them 20 minutes after all!
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 6/4/2013 4:49 PM PDT
I've never seen a less proactive development team, to be honest. I think its embarrassing that all of these changes take such a long time to release. Instead of being ahead of the curve on issues and potential changes, it's like they wait for the community to come up with their ideas.. then start working on it, then leave it on the PTR for a couple months once they've done a little work on the idea.

I completely expect this itemization update to just basically be an item buff to make more legendaries viable, as opposed to Blizz doing any critical thinking and coming up with an inventive idea.
It really is just absolutely pathetic and embarrassing that they know their game is failing and people are not happy, yet each patch takes months and months. Meanwhile a small company of gamers create path of exile and are releasing WEEKLY patches that add to the game every time. I would be embarrassed. You guys spend too much damn time contemplating crap and not actually implementing. You reiterated the original game so many times that you ended up with a pile of horse manure. I think it's hilarious how long you spend on these patches and you never really accomplish much. Get with the program and start cranking things out! This game needs help, and the longer you take less and less people are going to care.
come on guys "PMA" positive mental attitude, you know this guys are on it. Hope
06/04/2013 05:08 PMPosted by Mythologick
It really is just absolutely pathetic and embarrassing that they know their game is failing and people are not happy, yet each patch takes months and months. Meanwhile a small company of gamers create path of exile and are releasing WEEKLY patches that add to the game every time. I would be embarrassed. You guys spend too much damn time contemplating crap and not actually implementing. You reiterated the original game so many times that you ended up with a pile of horse manure. I think it's hilarious how long you spend on these patches and you never really accomplish much. Get with the program and start cranking things out! This game needs help, and the longer you take less and less people are going to care.

Agreed
Rude.

I like that the Blues respond to some "not so important" threads because it shows they care about interacting with the community and that doesn't always mean that they have to give updates all the time, respond to really important threads, etc. The fact that they try and make conversation is nice enough of them.
I work for the leading provider for non-profit software and services. As a project manager for this company, I can tell you from a software development standpoint, we don't develop anything prior to the feature being vetted, scoped, and everyone agreeing to move forward. Assuming Blizz follows any standard form of development- you probably have a project manager for any new feature(s). Why don't you scrub the project plan of any proprietary info and show the community the amount of time that can go into any given feature or feature set. It's a great way to communicate/educate people on the amount of time and effort that go into development.

While your 'Day in the Life" is interesting to a point- it doesn't really satisfy the original request.

Your passionate player base is many things, from young kids, to well educated/well to do professionals. Don't insult that community by assuming they aren't intelligent enough or are too young to understand how complex software development can be. As a PM, I have to be prepared to share a development plan with the CEO, and I have to have confidence my team has built it accordingly. I can see from the passionate posts from the CMs that those who are on the Diablo team are committed to bringing the best product to market. Show your player base- who is just as passionately committed to playing the game- what it actually takes to bring a feature to market. It's hard. But like I said, unless you're in the industry- you generally have no idea how hard it really is AND there is the "ideal game developer day in the life of" stereotype that most people have that doesn't help.
63 Blood Elf Death Knight
The majority of them just don't care, it's that simple. Friends there have even told me that a lot of devs don't even regularly play the games they're working on any more. How can you improve a game that you don't even play?

Their only successful line of games remaiing is RTS games, and that's only because they actively take advice from pro players.
The irony of this thread is that they DO listen to the forums, it's just that they listen to the wrong things. That's why we get all this teeter totter back and forth bullshi with class balance.
06/04/2013 01:00 PMPosted by Vaeflare
That's one issue. What about the issue that it takes sometimes 10- 20 even 30min to people to join my game. By that time most of them are leaving and I have like 5 -6 people join and quit. which make me restart the game and go solo . I made a clear thread about it . Never got any reply . I guess everyone here like to flame. So even when I post something its get ignored. then I see another person posting same thing and no reply. I mean if they see that so many players making threads about same issue, at least be nice to look at it.
We appreciate your passion, and while we spend quite a lot of our day reading over these forums and various fan sites, we can't reply to every post or thread. It's simply not practical, nor is it the best use of our time.

In many cases, we also don't have any new information to share. That isn't because we aren't aware of player feedback or don't care, it's simply because game changes and implementation take time, often many months from start to finish. There is also quite a lot that goes into determining what features or changes may or may not go into the game and sometimes these changes are iterated on behind the scenes for quite awhile before we determine if they meet our standards enough to make the cut and be released upon the lands of Sanctuary. So when we have new information to share on a particular topic, we'll do just that.

In terms of matchmaking in Public Games, as I mentioned in [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9165886724#4"]this thread[/url] we are indeed committed to improving it further.

You wouldn't be a CM very long doing that. Why? Because it's their job to communicate to and with us. They are our liaisons with the developers. The issue is, they aren't bringing back information from the devs, only taking ours to them. Sure, we get bloated blog posts that are full of "it's something we've talked about" or "we'd like to do this" or "it's on the table", but rarely do we get any actual information of what IS happening. The community TALKS about a lot of stuff, too. Talking is easy and non-committal. The community wants to know what Blizzard is doing about issues. We're not asking for step by step measures or even technical details. We want to know something is being done other than "talking" and "thinking" and "tabling".
Perhaps it's a figure of speech that we're dancing around here then. When either the developers or the CMs say that we are "talking" about various changes, that isn't just lip service. In most cases that means that developers have already gotten together to discuss the topic as part of the development process. It also likely means they've started running numbers or trying out different changes on their internal tools, or tasked team members to assist them with the necessary steps in order to try and bring their ideas to fruition for additional evaluation and further testing.

The reality is, game development is an active and ever-evolving process that sometimes (even often) means ideas get sent back to the drawing board to be improved further. Being that as it is, we prefer to talk about the specifics surrounding topics when we feel like we have solid answers to offer you.

to be honest, id love it if cms rambled off all the ideas and unsolid things theyre pondering. it could even prove fruitful to tell the community. there could be general consensus unpredicted, (either saying one is awesome or one isnt liked) and even new ideas could easily emerge... flaws could become apparent

many good fruits

in fact i feel like since you cms dont have the time for it, blizz should hire a crew for talking to the community and making forums posts with this kinda thing as the point of it

could make good use of that vote system too
I said this before in another post I think Blizzard should shut down the forums because its full of crap!...

Maybe even have some sort of forum leveling system where u have to make so many posts and get likes in order to move up to higher more important areas of the forums where the blues check more often?

Users with higher levels are then Green posters or somthing like that and maybe have to option to suggest forum account be blocked from posting for a fixed period say 1 month ban for posting gold farming sites?
You have my vote blues! I think you are doing a great job.

@OP I you think you are a better game designer then go apply for a job.. good luck with that.

I wish we have better community members.
Edited by HappySpike#1468 on 6/4/2013 6:57 PM PDT
06/04/2013 01:00 PMPosted by Vaeflare
The reality is, game development is an active and ever-evolving process that sometimes (even often) means ideas get sent back to the drawing board to be improved further. Being that as it is, we prefer to talk about the specifics surrounding topics when we feel like we have solid answers to offer you.

Is that referring to the lack of posting part 3 of the "Ask the Devs: Itemization"?
I think they are too big to care about the game TBH. They've got plenty of other cash cows on their plate so why care about this when they've already got their $$. Sure, they'll have some people in various departments update the game bi-annually to milk a little more out.

You have my vote blues! I think you are doing a great job.

@OP I you think you are a better game designer then go apply for a job.. good luck with that.

I wish we have better community members.

And they do that no matter what they do to any game they have a following of people who are willing to worship their work like this guy.

If your happy with the state of this game and willing to wait 4 to 5 months to get insignificant patches then good on you. Hell they wait over a month just to hint at what might be next.

did i get my 60 bucks out? Sure i did, but barely. I payed 60 bucks for BF3 and i've gotten quite a bit more in return in playability and enjoyment, which is what is expected.

Since everything about this game from the start reeks of greed on their part, there will be no significant changes made until you have to pay for them in the expansion.
Is it me or am I not understanding the term "Community Manager" properly?

If we knew what the job description was for CM then maybe it would clarify some things.
For me, a Community Manager should Manage the Community..
In this case the community is the forums, so they should be managed as in watched over.

When you guys talk about developer stuff you give us false hope that you know more or are willing to share more when in fact you either do not or cannot.

You can't tease us then expect us not to get mad when there is no follow up.
If the devs want to tell us stuff then they should put one of their own in charge of doing that.

People overreact but that has a lot to do with the fact that this game had more than a rocky start especially after taking so long to come out.

I also wish we had better community members but every community has to have a balance i suppose? There is no where else to vent, so obviously everyone who is angry comes here, which is not the case for everyone who is happy.
Edited by phildo#1882 on 6/4/2013 8:06 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
In concept, I agree that this would be an awesome idea, but in a practical sense, it's not realistic to sit down and track every step and person involved in a change, especially for ones that leverage dozens of people from multiple teams and potentially span months of time.

That said, what I can do is point you to a series of interviews called "A Day in the Life" that we put together a few years ago that might give you a better idea of what a typical day may be like here at Blizzard Entertainment for various individuals. Even then, the tasks, responsibilities, meetings, and daily topics will vary wildly day-by-day, but hopefully it offers you an interesting glimpse at the types of discussions and interactions we have behind-the-scenes.

Here is one tasty excerpt from Micah, aka Bashiok:

9:30am
General web surfing/twittering/forum perusing now out of the way, I’ll hit my tasks. We use an internal proprietary tool to create and track personal tasks, which could be anything from cropping some Tier 13 images for use in one of the set reveals, editing and approving the FAQ for a new game service we're introducing, or writing a feature article on a game system. In a perfect world I'd have time to complete these tasks, but it's nearing 10 a.m.

It is attitudes like this that is why nothing gets done. Instead of wasting that time doing "general web surfing" how about he actually comes in and gets work done starting at 9am? The cutting corners has to stop, even for the "senior" level guys. ESPECIALLY for the "senior" level guys.

What if the guy coming to fix my cable comes over and just starts playing games on his iphone for 30 minutes? Is that fair to me? Is that fair to everyone else after me? No it isn't.

What if the guy fixing the roads just decides to let traffic go for 30 more minutes because he feels like it? Wouldn't you hate to get stuck in extra traffic on the 405?

Get your act together Blizzard. You can start by firing Bashiok for making a mockery of the whole work process in that "Day in the life" post and not showing up on the forums in AGES.

Vaeflare you got balls for coming here, and I admire that, but your company man, has something wrong with it.
I understand where you're coming from here, but I think you might have taken Bashiok's comment a bit out of context.

Part of our job is to "surf the web," as it were, but it's not in the way you might think at first. While off the clock we roam around the fringes of the internet just like anyone else, when we're on the clock, it's important for us to keep up-to-date about a variety of topics that pertain to our communities. Therefore, we sort of "surf the web" in a targeted fashion, seeing what fan sites are saying, popular blogs and news sites, articles, our Reddit communities, and the forums on various other sites. We do that because it's important to keep a pulse on the community all over the web, and that includes the many vibrant communities outside of our traditional Blizzard forums and blogs.

For instance, one of my responsibilities is also manning our Diablo Twitter and Facebook accounts where players from around the world come to interact with us on yet another medium. It may very well be that certain players don't use these social media outlets, but I try to ensure that I get some time to interact on there as well.

As for Bashiok, he transitioned over to the World of Warcraft community team last year, so you no longer need to hold him accountable for posting here on the Diablo III forums. Instead, you have an Archangel, Khazra, and Fallen Hound to keep you company. ;)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]